• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its Mandatory Sony's Next System at least Matches Xbox Series X!

I say this because In no way shape or form do I want to see a one-sided console race (Not considering Switch in this argument). Without competition for either side the boundaries will never get pushed and complacency will become the norm. I am all for Xbox Series X, but if Playstation 5 cannot compete it will not be good for the industry as a whole. Just my 2 cents.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Cool Story Bro.

I'm pretty sure it'll at least match it. At least in raw specs. Now that secret sauce buzzword they keep tossin around is left to be seen. The only thing I'm aware of is the Patented VRS on Xbox that may give it an edge. How this will be implemented...that's up to the developers I would expect.

EDIT:
A link for reference.

Last edited:

nowhat

I am all for Xbox Series X, but if Playstation 5 cannot compete it will not be good for the industry as a whole.
Microsoft has sold as many consoles in their best gen as Sony in their worst. I have a gut feel Sony knows what they're doing. And if not - it's evolution then, time for new players to enter the stage. But really. Panicking a bit early, are we?

Microsoft has sold as many consoles in their best gen as Sony in their worst. I have a gut feel Sony knows what they're doing. And if not - it's evolution then, time for new players to enter the stage. But really. Panicking a bit early, are we?
No not panicking at all just bringing up something that has crossed my mind. I live in the real world I'm good either way. MS could go bankrupt tomorrow and ill be good . I still have to pay my bills eat food take care of family. Life goes on. lol.

did we go back in time? everyone is saying ps5 is more powerful and they have been saying it consistently for about a year now.
How in the world are you going to take rumour and hearsay as fact? That will be extremely foolish and you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

TeamGhobad

Banned
How in the world are you going to take rumour and hearsay as fact? That will be extremely foolish and you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

because several people from several different places have been saying it. i agree we can't trust them 100% but its fair to say there is more than 50% chance of that happening. several of those leakers have also been confirmed as legit industry insiders.

Has power actually been the defining feature of any console that has done very well or "won" a gen?
In the end it always comes down to a mix of power, price, software and marketing more than just specs.
I dont think I mentioned power in my OP.

because several people from several different places have been saying it. i agree we can't trust them 100% but its fair to say there is more than 50% chance of that happening. several of those leakers have also been confirmed as legit industry insiders.
Also 50% chance that it won't. Ill rather wait till both consoles are on the market.

Fbh

I dont think I mentioned power in my OP.
What then?

Features? What Features?
Games? For many Sony had the better output this gen so it's MS that has to do the "matching".

Feels like I missed some link or announcement about the new Xbox. All I saw was a sleek looking rectangle and the usual PR stuff "the strongest ever, will take games to the next level, etc". I didn't see any big and detailed reveal that the Ps5 now has to "match"

Last edited:
Not if the Series X is $600 and the PS5 is $299, then PS5 would then be able to afford to be weaker and cheaper.

The only way that a weaker PS5 would be an issue is if the gap is $100 or if the PS5 was more expensive or the same price.

What then?

Features? What Features?
Games? For many Sony had the better output this gen so it's MS that has to do the "matching".

Feels like I missed some link or announcement about the new Xbox. All I saw was a sleek looking rectangle and the usual PR stuff "the strongest ever, will take games to the next level, etc". I didn't see any big and detailed reveal that the Ps5 now has to "match"
For example lets go with what we know, "mindshare" . Can the Playstation generate as much hype for their reveal as MS did with Xbox Series X? Will blogs, podcasts and news feeds talk about the reveal for what is going on 5 days now non stop? I certainly hope so.

nowhat

Pfuuu we are in for a whole year of console wars and bans.
Oh just you wait when we get to November. I'm expecting both consoles to be quite close to each other, both great and a huge improvement over the current gen. But with enough differentiating/unique features that it would itself guarantee a category 4 shitstorm for weeks. But I still am also a firm believer in HZD 2 as a launch title for PS5 (nothing to prove it so pure speculation). And Halo Infinite is coming out. If that becomes a reality, better invest in popcorn futures way in advance.

An action/adventure for Sony (3rd person, naturally) vs. Halo (well, duh). Both will undoubtedly look great. And offer so wildly different art style and gameplay that comparisons will be completely pointless. But comparisons you'll get, screenshot after screenshot with posters going "JUST LOOK AT IT!!!", minute details being way over-analyzed ("clearly that pixel is not a true RT reflection, it's just screen space!") and of course, both sides trying to actively shit on the other's main launch title (despite them not even competing for the same audience, even if they'd exist on both platforms).

Sure, the signal-to-noise ratio will take a deep dive for a long time - but just look at the leaks thread, it's not very high currently either. At least then we'd have some true passion. Blood, sweat and tears. Most likely some shit and a couple of farts too. It would be awesome.

nowhat

For example lets go with what we know, "mindshare" . Can the Playstation generate as much hype for their reveal as MS did with Xbox Series X? Will blogs, podcasts and news feeds talk about the reveal for what is going on 5 days now non stop? I certainly hope so.
Uhh. I take it you took a vacation from this here/the Internet in general for a couple of weeks after the first Cerny/Wired interview?

Fbh

Will the media and online communities have a big reaction to the reveal of the next gen system from one of the most successful consoles brands in gaming and the follow up to the best selling console from this generation?

...yes?

Will the media and online communities have a big reaction to the reveal of the next gen system from one of the most successful consoles brands in gaming and the follow up to the best selling console from this generation?

...yes?
We shall see and I hope so. I don't want to see any brand fail.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
I say this because In no way shape or form do I want to see a one-sided console race (Not considering Switch in this argument). Without competition for either side the boundaries will never get pushed and complacency will become the norm. I am all for Xbox Series X, but if Playstation 5 cannot compete it will not be good for the industry as a whole. Just my 2 cents.
Even though I'm all for competitive push, the bolded bit made me think: "From wage-gap to platform-gap in one single post..." xD

ethomaz

Banned
Because the XSX got revealed first? What are you trying to say exactly?
I mean PS5 was reveled first... after MS just copied what Sony said and made a said too.
MS is the first to show the design of the console.

If OP is talking about the design then definitively Sony needs to not match MS.

If OP is talking about power then why he assumed PS5 need to match Xbox One Series X and not the opposite? Xbox One Series X have to match PS5? There is dev claims that devkits of PS5 are stronger.

So what the point of the OP?

If he is talking about mindshare then Sony is fine... MS that needs to win the mindshare from Sony and not the opposite.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I mean PS5 was reveled first... after MS just copied what Sony said and made a said too.
MS is the first to show the design of the console.

If OP is talking about the design then definitively Sony needs to not match MS.

If OP is talking about power then why he assumed PS5 need to match Xbox One Series X and not the opposite? Xbox One Series X have to match PS5? There is dev claims that devkits of PS5 are stronger.

So what the point of the OP?
Sony officially revealed the PS5 specs? Please share

I hope they do that by naming their next console PlayStation Mad Midget 5 and it comes bundled with God Hand 2...

Mostly kidding. There are some dormant franchises that would really steer my attention towards the platform on which they are revived.

I'll most likely end up with an XSX at some point just so that I can play NGB and NGII in their full glory.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm talking about marketing, features, power, Mindshare, impact, and of course games, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Which marketing?
Which features? We know MS is trying to match Sony's Share button.
Which power? Devs said PS5 devkit is stronger than NextXbox devkit.
Which mindshare? Sony holds the mindshare... so MS needs to fight for it?
Which Impact?
Which games? From what I understand MS needs to match Sony output in games.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Neither of them revealed specs.

Sony revealed PS5 first (Zen2 CPU, Navi GPU, SSD, HDMI 2.1)
MS copied the reveal.
MS now reveled the design.
Copied the reveal, ahahahah how stupid are you really?
Because you never cease to amaze me in that department, post after post.
Better yet do you even have any clue AT ALL about what you're talking about, honest question?

Oh I forgot: Sony best hurrr durr

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Copied the reveal, ahahahah how stupid are you really?
Because you never cease to amaze me in that department, post after post.
Better yet do you even have any clue AT ALL about what you're talking about, honest question?
MS's Scarllet reveal was exactly a copy paste of what Sony's said in PS5 reveal lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom