• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its Mandatory Sony's Next System at least Matches Xbox Series X!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Back in my day it was all about Mode7 VS Blast Processing and the amount of scrolling backgrounds and the number of colors that could be displayed on screen at the same time.

TeraFlops are the new 16 and 32bits.

Justin9mm

Have you played Gears 5, Outter Worlds? Have you seen Hellblade II, Gears Tactics, Wasteland III, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires? Did you smell Rare's new shit? Do you know about Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playgod Games, InXile and the lest goes on....?

Xbox has been coming with legit BANGERS, bro!! Gamepass is a system seller on its own. Just putting that out there...
You had me at Gears 5, you lost me at 'Outer' Worlds.. That game is SHIT! lol

Last edited:
This thread confirms it; Just_gaming and Gavon West are those special posters that come out of hiding just before a new console it released and will hear nothing good about the competition and will not accept flaws of their preferred console.

Now we just need the Sony shills to pitch up and we can start the insufferable, pointless thread-spamming of "my box is better than your box" full of emotions and opinions but devoid of any gamers.

vkbest

PS4 Pro aside, Sony always tried to use very powerful and new hardware. There is no reason why the PS5 should be weaker. Lets hope, that it offers some great features. It would be a bit boring, if Xbox and PS5 would be too similar in everything.

why PS4 pro aside? Why people continue to comparing Pro to X?, Pro released one year before and $100 cheaper.

Thavash

It should be more powerful than the entry level Xbox model. Which is the winning strategy ? Finding the price sweet spot in the middle ? Or having the most powerful and hoping that consumers will pay for it ( Wait until the Xbox price is announced ) ? Nobody knows , else we'll all be marketing geniuses.

If you look at history though, never forget "$299".......thats all I'm saying

LokusAbriss

why PS4 pro aside? Why people continue to comparing Pro to X?, Pro released one year before and $100 cheaper.

I would'nt compare it to the X either, true. But it wasnt an upgrade you would expect from Sony. In many cases, you were good with the normal PS4.

I expect the PS5 to be a powerhouse. And I hope that both next gen consoles try to the get the most out of their hardware. Many next gen titles probably look mindblowing good. Gran Turismo might look insanely good.

vkbest

I would'nt compare it to the X either, true. But it wasnt an upgrade you would expect from Sony. In many cases, you were good with the normal PS4.

I expect the PS5 to be a powerhouse. And I hope that both next gen consoles try to the get the most out of their hardware. Many next gen titles probably look mindblowing good. Gran Turismo might look insanely good.

So 2x powerful GPU, 33% more CPU for exactly same price your base console is not upgrade?

GymWolf

It's not important how much power do you have, but how you use it.

Also girth, that's very important too.

If series X is really 12 tf without bullshit (so a little chance tbh), i don't think sony will get on par with that, especially if they wanna sell the console for 400 dollars.

Last edited:

Sygma

Ohhhhh! I see!

So thats why Sony went legit mad throwing out heavy bangers at the start of this gen, right? Psh!....C'mon bruv...

Sorry what ?

Oh we're on the verge of 2020 and you think that 2009 is somehow relevant, good for you bro. Microsoft isn't competition, Sony doesn't have to try against them. It's all about Nintendo

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd be surprised if there was much of a difference between them. they are probably using the exact same CPU/GPU. i think it'll all come down to the RAM + SSD capacity/speed. for example, the Xbox could have 16GB RAM running at 3200mhz (25GB/s) with a 256GB SSD (2GB/s) but the PS4 could have 20-24GB running at 3400mhz (~28GB/s) and an SSD running at 6GB/s.

apparently the Xbox will have only 13GB for games (+3GB for the OS) and the SSD will be running slowly at 2GB/s.

worst case, imo, is that they are the same. i really can't see the PS5 being weaker. far more likely that it will have higher specs because 13GB + 2GB/s is not impressive at all.

Yeah, it will deliver 4k 60 fps in 2D

Small reminder that i7 4790k + gtx 1080 absolutely can't reach stable 60 fps at 4k in every single recent game
i have a 9900K + 32GB RAM + 2080. 4k 60hz isn't possible in every game. i've seen games at 1440p using as much as 18GB RAM (12GB ram + 6GB VRAM).

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
You are really over estimating xbox as brand.

Like it is a difficult choise between PS / XBOX for people, that it depends of small things.

Truth is:

Many if not most gamers are loyal to the brand as their main system.

Xbox is mostly a joke outside of US vs PlayStation.

So, Playstation most likely sell at worst same amount as xbox, even if they fail badly and xbox doesnt fail (look at 360 vs ps3, sony won in the end)

It is silly to assume that if xbox would be stronger it certainly wins.

Thing is, xbox can easily fail with their tvtvtv-kinect level shit, but if PlayStation have similar issues:

It is much less of a problem as Playstation is MUCH STRONGER brand, kind of:

"Playstation means console gaming"

"Xbox is that bad console from Windows makers"

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Microsoft BEST selling console Xbox 360 85+ million = Sony WORST selling console PS3 85+ million.
While technically they’re rivals, in actuality, Sony is in a different stratosphere. Similar to Mario and Sonic. Yes, they’re rivals but Mario’s sales are in a different league.

Sony is the one to beat, not vice versa.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
For example lets go with what we know, "mindshare" . Can the Playstation generate as much hype for their reveal as MS did with Xbox Series X? Will blogs, podcasts and news feeds talk about the reveal for what is going on 5 days now non stop? I certainly hope so.
PS5 was talked about for days nonstop over a Wired article, the full reveal will show how much mindshare PlayStation has

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Like I said somewhere before, you're only as "hype" as you're last post. It's Sony turn to show out.
Well 2020 is coming and between TLOU Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7, Dreams and Nioh 2, Sony will be talked about all next year leading into the next generation and the PS5 reveal will most likely be in February again

“the ps5 must at least match the xbox”
“i want equal competition”

I think what you really want is the PS5 to win. Otherwise you would have said “the ps5 must be the same as the xbox”. But apparently you are totally fine with it being more powerful and in that case competition can be damned

Mega Man

Sony doesn't stand a chance. Just compare how many Game of the Years their exclusives have vs. first party Xbox over the past 7 years.

Not good enough? Let's look at the domestic sales comparison

Still not good enough? Let's look at international sales...

Really? Need more? Let's compare overall PS3 vs. 360 sales lifetime!

NO? Still not feeling it? Well then look at the OG Xbox vs. PS2..

They. Are. Screwed.

It's funny, I bring up a legitimate question that's on my mind and the lynch mob comes out in full force.. Why not instead of smart ass one lines, have a inteligent debate. Thought this was a place for open and free speech? (within guide lines of course)

Sony doesn't stand a chance. Just compare how many Game of the Years their exclusives have vs. first party Xbox over the past 7 years.

Not good enough? Let's look at the domestic sales comparison

Still not good enough? Let's look at international sales...

Really? Need more? Let's compare overall PS3 vs. 360 sales lifetime!

NO? Still not feeling it? Well then look at the OG Xbox vs. PS2..

They. Are. Screwed.

This is anyone's market to take. Look at what Nintendo has has managed to achieve, yet everyone wrote them off just a few years ago. Being closed minded and a fanboy is not a good mix.

Mega Man

This is anyone's market to take. Look at what Nintendo has has managed to achieve, yet everyone wrote them off just a few years ago. Being closed minded and a fanboy is not a good mix.
I have owned two Xbox One's and will never own a PS4. Hardly a close minded fanboy, quite the opposite cupcake. My mind is opened enough to know I'm playing with the losing team. I accept that. I also understand an install base and established IPs makes a HUGE difference. Those factors are far more significant than the specs on a box. PS3 was one of the WORST launches (aside from WiiU) by any of the big three, and it sold 80 million by 2013 and STILL surpassed 360 (Microsoft's best) in the end.

Microsoft has no business marketing internationally other than Europe. Try they must, but the bronze is the best they can hope for... Even if PS5 is 2 teraflops less in power. PS1 did fine against the N64 despite being less powerful with significantly longer load times. And that was against a Japanese company that "won" the previous generation.

Gamernyc78

Banned
My line of thinking is it's clear this Microsoft/Xbox we are seeing now is unlike anything we've seen in the past and if you think this is the same then really haven't noticed the power moves they have been making. It has been said many times in the past Phil Spencer now has access to the financial side of Microsoft that has not been afforded to anyone at Xbox before. Needless to say, this generation will be totally different from every other generation before it and I hope the PlayStation brand can compete with the marketing and financial might that has been clearly shown thus far. Hope that clears it up a little and what has been going on in my mind

This post is so full of bs its insane. We are not seeing a diff Xbox, Xbox division does not have an unlimited fund of money unlike ever before and all Microsoft is doing is trying to mimic what made Sony successful this Gen e.g. Buying more studios, making games more open like Gears 5 (taking a cue from uncharted), talking about giving devs freedom (lol where did we hear tht before?). Thy will obviously try to price nextbox more in line with Sony and try to keep up with the power but thts all left to be seen but we are seeing the same bs pr buzz words and a blanket of damage control already ala typical Microsoft. Even if PS5 turned out a bit weaker theur mind share is too much and thy will still dominate. Microsoft is now trying to gain the ground back thy had from 360 era and lost during this gen.

Ohhhhhh looks at name👀, remembers, now it all makes sense. Politely bows out of the convo 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
If you think that's all that's coming, you better hold on , 2020 is gonna be fun!

Really doesn't matter if there's more Sony will always have more of more. Only a mass bricking of ps5s would have Sony not dominating. The reason Sony has gaming on smash its their perfect balance of new ips, great old ones, better software, good hardware, etc. Tht won't be changing no matter how hard fans pray 😊I mean we have history on this.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
What exactly do you mean by cloud gaming? Streaming? Which PlayStation has been doing years before Xbox?

Or do you mean leveraging the cloud to make games like Crackdown 3?

Yo how oblivious or blatant fanboying some ppl are is ridiculous. So Sony is nowhere in sight yet thy were the first innovating and pushing cloud gaming on these consoles? Next up Microsoft announced VR and it'll be "Sony just can't hang with VR...."

sendit

What exactly do you mean by cloud gaming? Streaming? Which PlayStation has been doing years before Xbox?

Or do you mean leveraging the cloud to make games like Crackdown 3?

Disagree. Crackdown 3 is the culmination of the hopes and dreams of the Xbox One. It is the pinnacle of cloud leveraged compute.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You had me at Gears 5, you lost me at 'Outer' Worlds.. That game is SHIT! lol

UnitedPhonyHummingbird-size_restricted.gif

This post is so full of bs its insane. We are not seeing a diff Xbox, Xbox division does not have an unlimited fund of money unlike ever before and all Microsoft is doing is trying to mimic what made Sony successful this Gen e.g. Buying more studios, making games more open like Gears 5 (taking a cue from uncharted), talking about giving devs freedom (lol where did we hear tht before?). Thy will obviously try to price nextbox more in line with Sony and try to keep up with the power but thts all left to be seen but we are seeing the same bs pr buzz words and a blanket of damage control already ala typical Microsoft. Even if PS5 turned out a bit weaker theur mind share is too much and thy will still dominate. Microsoft is now trying to gain the ground back thy had from 360 era and lost during this gen.

Ohhhhhh looks at name👀, remembers, now it all makes sense. Politely bows out of the convo 🤦‍♂️
Lol I'm flattered.

These topics are ridiculous. The only thing that matters is which console has the better games. If you console gets 5fps more but you only have 10 games to choose from then you as the consumer lose. If you truly only care about raw power then get a PC, you get the power and a huge library to choose from.

Last edited:
These topics are ridiculous. The only thing that matters is which console has the better games. If you console gets 5fps more but you only have 10 games to choose from then you as the consumer lose. If you truly only care about raw power then get a PC, you get the power and a huge library to choose from.
Your comment is ridiculous, cause if that were true we would still be playing games on Texas Instruments calculators. Power plays a major role.. it's not the only factor (of course duh!)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You are really over estimating xbox as brand.

Like it is a difficult choise between PS / XBOX for people, that it depends of small things.

Truth is:

Many if not most gamers are loyal to the brand as their main system.

Xbox is mostly a joke outside of US vs PlayStation.

So, Playstation most likely sell at worst same amount as xbox, even if they fail badly and xbox doesnt fail (look at 360 vs ps3, sony won in the end)

It is silly to assume that if xbox would be stronger it certainly wins.

Thing is, xbox can easily fail with their tvtvtv-kinect level shit, but if PlayStation have similar issues:

It is much less of a problem as Playstation is MUCH STRONGER brand, kind of:

"Playstation means console gaming"

"Xbox is that bad console from Windows makers"

:messenger_neutral::messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call::messenger_smirking::messenger_relieved::messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming:.....:messenger_neutral: No...

Your comment is ridiculous, cause if that were true we would still be playing games on Texas Instruments calculators. Power plays a major role.. it's not the only factor (of course duh!)

You obviously took my comment which was about two consoles that will be fairly simular and changed it into something completely different. Enjoy your consoles wars, the rest of us will just enjoy gaming in general.

Last edited:
Top Bottom