• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems impossible to compete with Nanite and Lumen, it seems like in-house engines will become a rarity

lukilladog

The reason is that budgets are going through the roof with time and most gaming studios hate doing R&D and spending money for years on it. I remember talking with iD software and they mentioned they don't have time to figure out anything new within a game cycle. It was very discouraging IMO. I suspect that smaller studios would take several years to come up with something similar to Nanite and run on all hardware efficiently. I guess we'll see what happens this generation..

Aren´t they just using these new hardware features we are getting in latest cards?.

More time for developing other areas. The less roadblocks devs have to doing what they want the better.

I just hope UE5 gets some very easy plugins for VR mods.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You can achieve a micro-polygon rendering system like Nanite through Mesh and Primitive Shaders, they're more flexible too and not confined to geometry only workloads. People also need to stop acting like Epic are the only ones who thought of Nanite, the concept of REYES and micro-polygon rendering systems have been around for a long time now but there were hardware limitations holding this back. Epic cashed in on this technology before anyone, and s of now they are ahead of everyone but it won't last long.

It's also safe to assume several studios already have dynamic multi-bounce GI lighting systems which we'll see soon as well, we already got very bogged down versions of these and previous gens and the developers will likely update their tech thanks to the newer hardware capabilities.

There are draw backs to using Unreal Engine as well, in terms of technical limitations or drawbacks, and financial and business reasons.
Indeed! I bet there are many studios reworking RT GI into their engines this generation

Shifty

It's been the same story forever; if you're making a game that Unreal is designed to make, then it's a logical pick.

But if you're making something that isn't a third-person open world game with cutting-edge photorealistic graphics, you're probably signing on for much more tech - and the associated time cost of wrangling it - than you really need.

MadPanda

Banned
I hope we have many different engines. it's sad that cdpr is ditching their engine. I remember ps360 gen when most of ue3 games looked similar, like cousins. Also, I like stylized games and not exactly 100% realistic. I'm not playing games to experience another reality.

I hope we have many different engines. it's sad that cdpr is ditching their engine. I remember ps360 gen when most of ue3 games looked similar, like cousins. Also, I like stylized games and not exactly 100% realistic. I'm not playing games to experience another reality.
The ease to use UE5 or Unity, goes beyond a realistic art style.

Notabueno

Banned
Spotted this from Tom Soret, thought it might spark an interesting discussion?

It just means you don't understand shit about software and engines.

Epic did not invent the technology behind nanite and lumen, they just implemented varied tech paper from research into their engines.

And in-house engine won't become a rarity, in fact lots of them are based a pre-existing engine base like UE in fact, for the simple reason that anybody with huge money can develop, integrate and refine these technologies in ways that are more optimised or integrated in their pipeline.

You can spend 3 years building your own or you can just use Unreal.

Most games that do not have a 100 million+ Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo budget will be on Unreal.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is there any drawback to using it?

Maybe is good at a very specific thing, using a very specific pipeline but at a cost that can impact performance in a prohibitive way.

It's clear that UE5 has the potential to become the standard for AAA (and not AAA) game development. But I think proprietary engines are still going to be the secret sauce of some studios (especially from PlayStation).
Sony just invested a billion dollars in Epic/UE5. I bet we see it in more first party games than you think.

Sony just invested a billion dollars in Epic/UE5. I bet we see it in more first party games than you think.
Days Gone and Returanal, used a heavy modify Unreal Engine. Right?. So, this is already happening.

But your top dogs are going to keep using their own engine (maybe implementing some aspect of Epic technology for example).

Massive oversell. In house game engines aren't going anywhere because many are already perfectly designed for the style of game that those teams like to make. Unreal 5 has its weaknesses, as pointed out by The Coalition. No matter the benefits of Unreal Engine 5, never underestimate a team utilizing a game engine that already does what they need it to do.

NEbeast

It looks amazing for what it is, but it's far from a full fledged game. Let's not blow our load so early, we need to see full games looking this good with a good framerate.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not every game is going for that type fidelity. There are a lot of pros to using a simpler system.

But the only competition in selling game engines. Anyone is free to make their own at little time no cost or use a multitude of free engines so a monopoly really cannot exist.

K' Dash

I have never touched anything like Unreal, but I have a question: can you create additional modules, functionality or wrappers for it?

Cause you could just build and add the specific thing you need.

ethomaz

Banned
People reply saying there is a massive move to Unreal Engine that is not even remotely true.

It is like the other fake thread about Unreal Engine domination the engine market when it is not even used by 15% of the market and being far away from the market leader engine.

Last edited:
No U Reverse GIF by MOODMAN

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It is not even remotely true.
It means it is far from the actual reality.

We can take a screen of Steam data today and check again in a year 🤷‍♂️
I take it you are counting all those indie titles running on Unity as part of NOT a mass exodus?

When in reality nearly 50% of all nextgen games announced are Unreal Engine.
Thats an unprecedented level of adoption for an engine.

This just makes me excited for what other companies will do to compete. UE5 was just the first engine that was able to light a fire under everyone.

ethomaz

Banned
I take it you are counting all those indie titles running on Unity as part of NOT a mass exodus?

When in reality nearly 50% of all nextgen games announced are Unreal Engine.
Thats an unprecedented level of adoption for an engine.
Not even 20% of the next-gen project left are using Unreal Engine.

WTF are you talking about? There is like 5-6 games in UE launching in 2022 but we can count 2023, 2024 or 2025… let’s make the list before call these bullshit 50% of developers moving to Unreal Engine lol

Last edited:

Neilg

Not the same part of Sony. Epic is making a big push for on set in camera vfx and that's what Sony invested in.

There's lots of this thread that's kind of bollocks speculation but universally a lot of people are ignoring the effort it takes to make an engine like unreal usable by any random idiot downloading it. Nanite and lumen were only difficult and time consuming to develop in the context of a seamless hobbyist use. In a studio of dedicated users you could hack that tech in within a couple of months and the artists don't need to interact with it as there are full time engine staff.
I strongly disagree with the thread premise/title and think it massively undermines the difference between consumer facing tools and in house ones.

ethomaz

Banned
Lunen isn't even that great... 🤷 it runs like shit and looks worse than many other RT lighting implementations
It looks good with RT.
PS2/PS3 level via software.

You are right the performance is not there yet but it will get optimized thought the years.

Anyway the thread is about UE replacing in-house engine that I’m not sure what people are smoking here.

Maybe it is because CDPR? They only moved to UE to the board and executives be less angry after the Cyberpunk launch fiasco…. If that didn’t happened I’m not sure they were even talking about moving the engine but they need to find scapegoats.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Not even 20% of the next-gen project left are using Unreal Engine.

WTF are you talking about? There is like 5-6 games in UE launching in 2022 but we can count 2023, 2024 or 2025… let’s make the list before call these bullshit 50% of developers moving to Unreal Engine lol

List all the major announced console games youll shock yourself to find out that yes, near 50% of them are Unreal Engine games.

1. Tomb Raider Next
  2. The Witcher Next
  3. Atomic Heart
  4. Everwild
  5. Grounded
  6. Evil West
  7. Black Myth
  8. Ark 2
  9. Moto GP
  10. Session
  11. Vamp Bloodlines 2
  12. Vamp Bloodhunt
  13. Vamp Swansong
  14. Suicide Squad
  15. Wolf Among Us 2
  16. Gotham Knights
  17. Scorn
  18. Shadow Warrior 2
  19. Arc Raiders
  20. Midnight Suns
  21. Hogwarts Legacy
  22. Callisto Protocol
  23. GH:Tokyo
  24. Stray
  25. Gollum
  26. Redfall
  27. Black Myth
  28. DragonQuest
  29. Kingdom Hearts 4
  30. Hellblade 2
  31. Heart of Chernobyl

Thats just off head of the major announced titles or rather titles that pop into my mind.
You say this isnt nearly 50% of the major announced titles?

List the major announced console games that are using a proprietary engine and lets see if they add up to a number larger than 75.

Edit: Forgot Wukong no idea how one of my most anticipated titles.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
List all the major announced console games youll shock yourself to find out that yes, near 50% of them are Unreal Engine games.

1. Tomb Raider Next
  2. The Witcher Next
  3. Atomic Heart
  4. Everwild
  5. Grounded
  6. Evil West
  7. Black Myth
  8. Ark 2
  9. Moto GP
  10. Session
  11. Vamp Bloodlines 2
  12. Vamp Bloodhunt
  13. Vamp Swansong
  14. Suicide Squad
  15. Wolf Among Us 2
  16. Gotham Knights
  17. Scorn
  18. Shadow Warrior 2
  19. Arc Raiders
  20. Midnight Suns
  21. Hogwarts Legacy
  22. Callisto Protocol
  23. GH:Tokyo
  24. Stray
  25. Gollum
  26. Redfall
  27. Black Myth
  28. DragonQuest
  29. Kingdom Hearts 4
  30. Hellblade 2
  31. Heart of Chernobyl

Thats just off head of the major announced titles or rather titles that pop into my mind.
You say this isnt nearly 50% of the major announced titles?

List the major announced console games that are using a proprietary engine and lets see if they add up to a number larger than 75.

Edit: Forgot Wukong no idea how one of my most anticipated titles.
Yeap you list games that will launch in for several years to come… in 2022 alone the major titles releases will be over 100 lol

And you talk about 50% c’mon.

But I will post the list for 2022 releases alone late that will be already more than double of your small list for several years.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Yeap you list games that will launch in for several years to come… in 2022 alone the major titles releases will be over 100 lol

But I will post the list for 2022 releases alone late that will be already more than double of your small list for several years.
I said announced games.
Read before you post or emoji lol.
Of the major announced games near 50% of them are Unreal Engine powered.
We cant speculate on what isnt announced, so thats why I specifically said of the announced games.

I know English isnt your first language but try your best to read what im posting before reacting......in fact before reacting THINK.

I know you are gonna mention something like Call of Duty 2023....a game that hasnt been announced.....again we cant speculate on that, we can only go on what has been announced.

Gamerguy84

I look forward to seeing what Sony in house engines can do. UE5 looks very impressive.

The Matrix demo was nice but also needed some work.

Whatever enginethey need to put out awesome games is what I hope they use.

Black_Stride

ethomaz ethomaz

Looks like Tim Sweeney agrees with me that near 50% of announced nextgen titles are Unreal Engine powered.
But what does he or his team know....obviously they couldnt fact check anything, they needed to have called ethomaz ethomaz to do the maths for them.
Frikken fools.....all that money must be making them forget how to count.
Pdgiuhr.png

HbExFXO.png

ethomaz ethomaz

Looks like Tim Sweeney agrees with me that near 50% of announced nextgen titles are Unreal Engine powered.
But what does he or his team know....obviously they couldnt fact check anything, they needed to have called ethomaz ethomaz to do the maths for them.
Frikken fools.....all that money must be making them forget how to count.
Pdgiuhr.png

HbExFXO.png

I don't often agree with ethomaz ethomaz but if Tim Sweeney says something the first thing I do is question it. He's been full of shit his entire career and I have little faith that's ever going to change.

Meanwhile ethomaz ethomaz , if you're going to make claims in opposition of something someone says you would wise to issue the receipts when you make them. The burden of proof is on you to back your claims. Nobody is going to do homework for you to prove themselves wrong.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I said announced games.
Read before you post or emoji lol.
We cant speculate on what isnt announced, so thats why I specifically said of the announced games.

I know English isnt your first language but try your best to read what im posting before reacting......in fact before reacting THINK.

I know you are gonna mention something like Call of Duty 2023....a game that hasnt been announced.....again we cant speculate on that, we can only go on what has been announced.
How I will mention CoD 2023 if I will only list announced games for 2022 lol
Read before posting.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't often agree with ethomaz ethomaz but if Tim Sweeney says something the first thing I do is question it. He's been full of shit his entire career and I have little faith that's ever going to change.

Meanwhile ethomaz ethomaz , if you're going to make claims in opposition of something someone says you would wise to issue the receipts when you make them. The burden of proof is on you to back your claims. Nobody is going to do homework for you to prove themselves wrong.
There are over 80 games announced to release 2022 in my preliminar list.
He has 31 games combined for 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, TBA, forever, etc.

Every year we got way more than twice his combined 31 games and people keep saying 50%.

It is laughable at best.

BTW the burden of fake 50% claim is not mine but if you talk about my less than 20% just look at Steam stats… less than 15% of the releases are Unreal Engine (yeap doesn’t even include console exclusives that are 90% in house engines) but you know some GAFers believe Unreal Engine is dominating the market lol

Last edited:

'It is not even remotely true'
Jajajajaajaja

Top Bottom