• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PGR3 Hi-Def

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Liquid said:
ridge racer psx ran at 30fps. Daytona saturn ran at like 15.
:lol So what? It's not like those games are relevant in any way anymore. Besides, you can even see how much nicer RR was in the 60FPS if you play the bonus game in RR4 :p

X360 just got owned if true PS3 for the win

killthem.jpg

Liquid

Banned
Marconelly said:
:lol So what? It's not like those games are relevant in any way anymore. Besides, you can even see how much nicer RR was in the 60FPS if you play the bonus game in RR4 :p
the games may not be but the fact that devs have to learn new hardware hasnt changed a bit.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
robertsan21 said:
X360 just got owned if true PS3 for the win

Yeah, all the PS3 games are looking great. Much better than PGR3. Looks like the PS3 will be hard to find this Christmas season though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Liquid said:
the games may not be but the fact that devs have to learn new hardware hasnt changed a bit.
Noone's disputing that. Bizarre dialed first Xbox pretty nicely with first PGR though.

Jerkface

Banned
urk said:
Yeah, all the PS3 games are looking great. Much better than PGR3. Looks like the PS3 will be hard to find this Christmas season though.

Yeah to be honest I haven't read a single negative hands-on of a PS3 game.

Marconelly said:
If only...

Ico ran at something like 600x224, with every other horizontal line being black. That weird video mode goes a long way making Ico look bad on HDTVs, but it's part of it's charm on regular TV, giving it some kind of softer look.

I was just about to say the same thing. I remember trying to play ICO back in 2001 on my Sony 32XBR400, and thought that much of the beauty of the game was lost due to the horrid image quality. I only saw the game on my HD set, so I knew that the game must have used some weird interlaced technique. Still a beautiful and imaginative game.

With that said, I could give a rat's ass if PGR3 is 600p or not. Of course I'd love for the game to be 720p/60FPS, but I know that it is a launch game, and not indicative of Bizarre's programming ability or the Xbox 360's power. I have seen PGR 3 in person, and nothing on the market touches it and the graphics department. From what I saw, it looked like it was running in pure 720p to me. Now that I'm hearing that it is not, I'm not too disappointed, because I didn't notice the drop in resolution. I have a keen eye for these things too, since I consider myself to be a videophile. every system exhibits problems at launch. It's a cold, hard fact. Deal with it, or quit gaming altogether.

Bizarre has given a definitive answer to this question!

PGR3 is a launch title (Hurrah!)

So if you are lucky enough to get an Xbox 360 and PGR3 come launch day you can answer this question for yourselves in a matter of weeks!

There are certain things to do with a games development that we don’t comment on, like Microsoft, Apple and so on we “Don’t comment on rumours” so those of you that need answers to every rumour will be asking in vain.

If we can answer your questions we will (NDA permitting!)

Where's those damned rolleyes when you need them.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

Striek

Don't comment on rumors...:lol
If it was 720p they would've responded 3 days ago. Doesn't really matter, its not like rendering internally at 600p is going to stop anyone buying the game.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jerkface said:
Yeah to be honest I haven't read a single negative hands-on of a PS3 game.
You also never read a positive one! ;)

P.S. Judging from BC's comments, looks like 600p it is.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i know i wont be able to enjoy this game now that it might be running at only 600p upscaled to 720p

I dunno about you, but the fact that i would even be able to tell is irrelevant, the game is just a pile of rubbish on a DVD that i may just use as a coaster.

Thanks Bizzare and MS for ruining 2006

Striek

DCharlie said:
i know i wont be able to enjoy this game now that it might be running at only 600p upscaled to 720p

I dunno about you, but the fact that i would even be able to tell is irrelevant, the game is just a pile of rubbish on a DVD that i may just use as a coaster.

Thanks Bizzare and MS for ruining 2006
:lol
Its funny, 600p and 30FPS, and everyone bitching knows they will buy it and love it :)

Doube D

LOL. PATHETIC. Let me get this straight, they continuously make comments about the frame rate without worrying about NDAs but the damn resolution is under NDA?? PAAAATHETIC. Seriously, just come out and say you need more time and/or better hardware and/or more talented programmers. But this hiding behind NDA BULLSHIT is getting old.

Doube D said:
LOL. PATHETIC. Let me get this straight, they continuously make comments about the frame rate without worrying about NDAs but the damn resolution is under NDA?? PAAAATHETIC. Seriously, just come out and say you need more time and/or better hardware and/or more talented programmers. But this hiding behind NDA BULLSHIT is getting old.

I know what else is old, but I'm under a forum NDA....

hadareud

The Translator
Doube D said:

I thought you'd be disappointed. I'm sure you're getting an Xbox 360 and were considering PGR3, right?

I'm really only interested from a curiousity standpoint.

The fact that people need to be told that this is only 2/3 of 720p resolution only illustrates that resolution (as opposed to effects) is becoming overrated, at least for certain genres.

Anyhow, BlimBlim will be able to give us a definitive answer soon, though it's just a formality.

Doube D

hadareud said:
I thought you'd be disappointed. I'm sure you're getting an Xbox 360 and were considering PGR3, right?

Oh no, its just fantastic seeing how MS will handle this debacle... all games have to be what again… did I hear 720p….really, what happened??? LOL Let the damage control ensue :D
btw, if it does turn out to be 720p, then let the crow serving begin (ill take seconds). But really, his comments are pretty much admitting a downgrade.

hadareud

The Translator
Doube D said:
Oh no, its just fantastic seeing how MS will handle this debacle... all games have to be what again… did I hear 720p….really, what happened??? LOL Let the damage control ensue :D

At least MS is very successful at entertaining you - that must be worth something

Doube D

hadareud said:
At least MS is very successful at entertaining you - that must be worth something

It is... note that I didn't make ONE post regarding this until now. I just wanted to wait and see what bizzare has to say. Let the fun begin. :D

DCharlie

"btw, if it does turn out to be 720p, then let the crow serving begin (ill take seconds). But really, his comments are pretty much admitting a downgrade."
why???
Will the game be THAT much diffferent?
And a downgrade of what exactly?

"oh no, i have one of these!"
Molehill_on_green_gras.jpg

"Ah, that's more like it!"
Everest%20and%20Plume.jpg

vas

....And the reason they did go with 1024x600 might be to have 4xMSAA instead of 2xMSAA (or 2x instead of none), probably because of all the bitching from numerous people about jagies.

Well, to be honest Id rather have jagies (and no AA at all) than a blurry scaled up image on my lcd monitor. Afterall, theres nothing worse that feeding a low res content on a fixed pixel display.

There go MS's standards....

I wonder if MS will now approach major review sites and "request" them not to cover this point at all using scare tactics or money hats...

vas

DCharlie said:
... what if it is a standard?

A standard not to have a standard. If the "rumour" turns out to be true, then they are basically in breach of a Misrepresentation Act 1967:

"Whenever you agree to buy any goods or services a contract is made between you and the seller/supplier.
(The seller/supplier does not have to be in business.) The contract does not have to be in writing.
Often before you agree to buy, statements are made to you about the goods or services. These statements maybe written or verbal and may have influenced your decision to enter into the contract. These statements are called representations.
A representation is usually a statement of fact made by one party of the contract (seller/supplier) to the other party (the buyer). Although the statement may not form part of the contract it may be one of the reasons that made you enter into the contract to buy the goods or services.
If after the contract is made you find out that these statements / representations are false then this is a MISREPRESENTATION."

dorio

Banned
Doube D said:
btw, if it does turn out to be 720p, then let the crow serving begin (ill take seconds). But really, his comments are pretty much admitting a downgrade.
And Sony said 1080p, can't wait to see how that goes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dorio said:
And Sony said 1080p, can't wait to see how that goes.

For all games? No. In fact, they didn't specific any minimum resolution sofar. Just that the system was capable of outputting at 1080p, and it is.

Anyway, MS I believe has their bases covered because of technicalities over rendering at a resolution vs outputting at that resolution. Or at least someone previously said that they term it as being that all games would "output" at 720p. Output at 720p != rendering at 720p, so although they're not adhering to the spirit of their own claim, technically they can get away with it.

dorio

Banned
But the game is output at 720p. :)
vas said:
A standard not to have a standard. If the "rumour" turns out to be true, then they are basically in breach of a Misrepresentation Act 1967:

"Whenever you agree to buy any goods or services a contract is made between you and the seller/supplier.
(The seller/supplier does not have to be in business.) The contract does not have to be in writing.
Often before you agree to buy, statements are made to you about the goods or services. These statements maybe written or verbal and may have influenced your decision to enter into the contract. These statements are called representations.
A representation is usually a statement of fact made by one party of the contract (seller/supplier) to the other party (the buyer). Although the statement may not form part of the contract it may be one of the reasons that made you enter into the contract to buy the goods or services.
If after the contract is made you find out that these statements / representations are false then this is a MISREPRESENTATION."

Shompola

Banned
vas said:

the scaler scaler can output to 720p.... sorry

dorio

Banned
Come on now. We know the impression Sony was trying to give was that all games will be rendered in 1080P. That's why they required all devs to render their demos at that resolution. It's just a silly game of oneupmanship.
gofreak said:
For all games? No. In fact, they didn't specific any minimum resolution sofar. Just that the system was capable of outputting at 1080p, and it is.

vas

Shompola said:
the scaler scaler can output to 720p.... sorry

That is clearly not what they meant in their statements, because technically whether the scaling is done on the console itselft or by your tv it is the same thing. In fact some HDTV's have better scaling than progressive dvd players.

When they said all games at 720p, they meant the source will be at 720p (HD).
So dont give me that crap.

I guess it will be for the lawyers to fight it out if it gets to court...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dorio said:
Come on now. We know the impression Sony was trying to give was that all games will be rendered in 1080P. That's why they required all devs to render their demos at that resolution. It's just a silly game of oneupmanship.

Well I obviously didn't walk away with that impression..I don't think most did.

MS said all games would be 720p minimum (be that "output", "rendered" whatever). That was a policy they announced. Sony has said no such things.

DCharlie

"When they said all games at 720p, they meant the source will be at 720p (HD)."
i thought they just said "Games to be 720p minimum" in a vague casual way? I've no clue to be honest and neither do i care.

dorio

Banned
DCharlie said:
i thought they just said "Games to be 720p minimum" in a vague casual way? I've no clue to be honest and neither do i care.
MS also suggested in a vague casual way that the harddrive would be standard.

snatches

Ok, can we say "enough" now?

Between the 30/60fps debate and now this, can we just agree on the following:

1) PGR3 looks outstanding and is "next gen" in every sense of the word?

2) Based on the pedigree involved, that this game will fucking own?

3) That we are all a bunch of whiny bitches?

K?

SkinSider

Banned
snatches said:
Ok, can we say "enough" now?

Between the 30/60fps debate and now this, can we just agree on the following:

1) PGR3 looks outstanding and is "next gen" in every sense of the word?

2) Based on the pedigree involved, that this game will fucking own?

3) That we are all a bunch of whiny bitches?

K?

This is GAF. If you want agreement, go to... um. Um. Hang on, I will get back to you.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
gofreak said:
Nah, they were pretty explicit on that to be fair ;)

I remember reading from the get go that MS were considering having a HD less next gen machine option.

ypo

Wow! Impressive. The Xbox 360 is future proof people. When TV comes in 1080P standard. Bam! Xbox 360 will be outputting at 1080P. When TV comes in super duper 4000+ res standard, BAM! the Xbox 360 will be outputting at that resolution. Good job Microsoft!! So what if your TVs upscaling it. Upscaling, rendering, outputting...blah blah blah they are all the same!!!

They did dropped the ball on one thing though. They should've just have games rendered at 480P and save even more system resources. Your HDTVs will be outputting the games at the *minimum* of 720P.

DCharlie

again, i reiterate, i don't think i can play this game now.

I had the same problem with GT4 and it's faked 1080i - totally ruined the game for me - reduced it to unplayable shit.

ypo

Wow, I just realized all 3 of the next-gen consoles will have games at the *minimum* of 720P on HDTVs. Nintendo is the smart one here. No doubt.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know what's been determine as fact or not.

What I can confirm as fact is this Microsoft 360 TCR:

When the player has selected high definition output, games must use a minimum frame buffer size of 1280×720.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I can't help but laugh at somebody who would pass on a game because sony upscaled a game a year ago that has absolutely nothing to do with pgr3, not to mention the fact that nobody has even confirmed anything.

DCharlie

"I can't help but laugh at somebody who would pass on a game because sony upscaled a game a year ago that has absolutely nothing to do with pgr3, not to mention the fact that nobody has even confirmed anything."

I was just saying something retarded so i could fit in with the other mongs.

snatches

DCharlie said:

This is deadly accurate. I guess I should stop trying to remind everybody to calm down. Getting worked up over nothing is half the fun of GAF.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Well done.....there has been so much of it I took it for real....it did seem to fit in...... :lol

Top Bottom