• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PGR3 Hi-Def

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"yea he's pretty good at that. ;)"

it's pretty easy to do actually, i just flip open my head and fill it with horse shit and the posts just come naturally.

It's quite a painful process - i envy you guys who have shit producing "brains" that can just do it 24/7 without the agony.

Striek

snatches said:
This is deadly accurate. I guess I should stop trying to remind everybody to calm down. Getting worked up over nothing is half the fun of GAF.
90% of anything anti-X360 these days is you and the other people (and damn aren't there plenty) who show your support by making sarcastic, lame 'trolling the 360' comments, seemingly to pre-empt anything negative that might be said about, um, negative news. So don't fucking complain.

DCharlie

"90% of anything anti-X360 these days is you and the other people (and damn aren't there plenty) who show your support by making sarcastic, lame 'trolling the 360' comments, seemingly to pre-empt anything negative that might be said about, um, negative news. So don't fucking complain."

the thing is - WHAT is there to complain about with this? I don't get it ! The game isn't going to suffer, so.... ??

Striek

DCharlie said:
the thing is - WHAT is there to complain about with this? I don't get it ! The game isn't going to suffer, so.... ??
So we should all fake troll it like idiots? Its ok then? And its not just this thread, its any X360 thread.
And really, it is an issue (if true), whether you would make it into something insignifcant or not. Primarily being lied to by MS as the big one. And while we wouldn't know what we are missing, I have no doubt a game rendered internally at 720p would probably look better than one rendered at 600p and scaled to 720p. Its just not cool to parade around saying its a 720p "High Definition" game if its not, and you understand this I'm sure, you just have choose to ignore it.

Anyway, nothing is certain yet.

ypo

"i just flip open my head and fill it with horse shit and the posts just come naturally"

Naturally huh? Not surprising at all. You did fool someone after all.

"It's quite a painful process"Really?

It's that painful for you. Damn you must be some masochist seeing how often you do it.

But.....you're the one who's getting all worked up here. Strangely only about negative Xbox/Xbox 360 posts, considered your self-claimed unbiased, objective status. :lol

DCharlie

"And really, it is an issue (if true), whether you would make it into something insignifcant or not."

i'm 99.9% sure it is true, so i think it's safe to say people can start the witchhunt

"Primarily being lied to by MS as the big one."

1 Billion users , we have the best hardware, etc etc... take your pick!
Just protest by not buying one and waiting for the PS3 or Revolution. You can always rely on both nintendo and sony to tell you nothing but the truth.

"And while we wouldn't know what we are missing, I have no doubt a game rendered internally at 720p would probably look better than one rendered at 600p
"

depends - 600p will allow for more effects and better AA. Look at the fuss about jaggies in the RR thread for instance. A game being 720p doesn't guarantee anything.

"and scaled to 720p. Its just not cool to parade around saying its a 720p "High Definition" game if its not, and you understand this I'm sure, you just have choose to ignore it."

*shrug* i just don't particularly care. The game looks great, and i _like_ Gothams gameplay, so ... *shrug*

Perhaps they need to apologise to all the people who weren't going to buy Gotham in the first place because they upset them by saying it was 720p?

But.....you're the one who's getting all worked up here. Strangely only about negative Xbox/Xbox 360 posts, considered your self-claimed unbiased, objective status

I can't help it that all the morons seem to be hardened Sony fans. 720P or 600P, it's still going to play the same and look *shock* probably better in 600P upscaled because of the added effects and FSAA.

Anyways, you know how the rest of the dance goes - you say "you are so not unbaised" , i get more bored by you, Kaching joins, then i call you a cunt....

Somethings never change. Just show your distaste by not buying the game or a X360 (i assume you already own a 720p tv or something..... ?)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wouldn't it be better to actually confirm the 600p before saying things that might not even apply?

Striek

DCharlie, you've gone with the ignorant "oh fuck off fanboy you weren't gonna buy it anyway!!11 WAIT FOR PS3!" excuse. Nice. Thats not overused or ridiculous in the slightest. Wrong, but nice.
I was planning on getting a X360 for my BDay (next week) or Christmas, but ya know, being in Australia, which apparently isn't apart of this "world", I have no idea when the X360 is launching. But hey fuck it ya know, doesn't matter, I'm waiting for PS3.

I'm sure the only people upset are HATERZ because no one is upset here whose buying it, or at the Bizzare forums.
Oh and yeah, 600p does allow more power for other stuff, but uh, I think the point is, if they rendered it at 720p with the AA + effects it would look better. But once again, the way it looks isn't the problem here. Its great looking. This is a fact, we know this. But I guess we shouldn't complain about anything because of this huh?

DCharlie

"DCharlie, you've gone with the ignorant "oh fuck off fanboy you weren't gonna buy it anyway!!11 WAIT FOR PS3!" excuse. Nice. Thats not overused or ridiculous in the slightest. Wrong, but nice. "

i was addressing the wider crowd, but apologies if that's not the case. In which case you are stilll buying Gotham? If so - great, if not.... if it's for this reason... then why?

I was planning on getting a X360 for my BDay (next week) or Christmas, but ya know, being in Australia, which apparently isn't apart of this "world", I have no idea when the X360 is launching. But hey fuck it ya know, doesn't matter, I'm waiting for PS3.

Again, if this was the turning point (this gaming being 600p upscaled) then i'm somewhat confused. I'm sure there are other more valid reasons, but if not... *head in hands*

I'm sure the only people upset are HATERZ because no one is upset here whose buying it, or at the Bizzare forums.

Nope - i just think people are making this out to be some massive deal when it's just not.

Oh and yeah, 600p does allow more power for other stuff, but uh, I think the point is, if they rendered it at 720p with the AA + effects it would look better. But once again, the way it looks isn't the problem here. Its great looking. This is a fact, we know this. But I guess we shouldn't complain about anything because of this huh?

My point is that when people play the game , the fact that its rendered internally at 600P and not 720P will make absolutely no difference to gamer at all. It's not like it's going to be some massive unspotable difference that slaps you in the face. I mean, how many people have watched Blims vids and thought "hold on.... if this is 720p something is up because it looks wrong/inferior" ?

If they could render all the effects and all the AA then sure it makes more sense to do 720P - but the simple fact of this matter seems to be that they couldn't do that. So something had to give. They chose to sacrifice the resolution for effects and AA. (all guess work, but i'd assume that's the case)

"I think the point is, if they rendered it at 720p with the AA + effects it would look better"

Again, this depends on your definition of "better" - if the AA is way superiour at 600P and you can throw around way more effects, then certain games are going to benefit from going the 600P route rather than with 720P. Again, perhaps they could have went with 720P - but it would have had aliasing problems that might have been distracting with the city surroundings. Maybe, going with 600P allows them to soften those problems and add bluring? in which case - 600P would look "better"... (?)

This isn't going to be specific to X360 i don't think - i'm sure sony will have a set of standard resolutions and specs that devs will alternate between depending on what look they want to achieve in their game.

Perhaps that'll be the next 30/60fps? "should have went 720P not 600P" etc etc..

Striek

DCharlie said:
If so - great, if not.... if it's for this reason... then why?
---
Again, if this was the turning point (this gaming being 600p upscaled) then i'm somewhat confused. I'm sure there are other more valid reasons, but if not... *head in hands*
Eh, sarcasm.
I'll decide on PGR3 based on reviews and impressions vs. whatever they launch in Australian/NZ with. The only benefit of a late launch.

My point is that when people play the game , the fact that its rendered internally at 600P and not 720P will make absolutely no difference to gamer at all. It's not like it's going to be some massive unspotable difference that slaps you in the face. I mean, how many people have watched Blims vids and thought "hold on.... if this is 720p something is up because it looks wrong/inferior" ?
As I've been saying, it still looks great (and even better considering the other two racers at launch), its not going to affect gameplay. Its mostly about being lied to (which yes, other companies do, and yes, doesn't have a direct effect on consumers in this case). You just shouldn't support that. Well I don't support that. I'm not suggesting "fuck this is a big deal, definitely not getting the game now" - the only people overreacting like that are, IMO, people like yourself acting in a sarcastic, overly defensive manner.

DCharlie

"As I've been saying, it still looks great (and even better considering the other two racers at launch), its not going to affect gameplay. Its mostly about being lied to (which yes, other companies do, and yes, doesn't have a direct effect on consumers in this case). You just shouldn't support that. Well I don't support that. I'm not suggesting "fuck this is a big deal, definitely not getting the game now" - the only people overreacting like that are, IMO, people like yourself acting in a sarcastic, overly defensive manner."

oh - right. Now i get you.

But is being lied to the reason you are going with Sony PS3 over the X360?

I would add that Double D (and ypo to a lesser extent) is overly going off on how terrible this is. IMO.

Doube D

DCharlie said:
oh - right. Now i get you.

But is being lied to the reason you are going with Sony PS3 over the X360?

I would add that Double D (and ypo to a lesser extent) is overly going off on how terrible this is. IMO.

Over playing what exactly? MS's entire slogan for next gen is the HD era. Now, arguably their most prominent first party launch product seems to have fallen short and they are hiding behind NDA bs instead of coming clean. It’s pathetic and anyone can see that. Will the general public notice or care? Hell no, but my point still stands.

Acosta

it's pretty easy to do actually, i just flip open my head and fill it with horse shit and the posts just come naturally.

It's quite a painful process - i envy you guys who have shit producing "brains" that can just do it 24/7 without the agony.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thank you DCharlie, now I feel less sad for my Xbox 360 preorder cancellation.

Jesus, how fucking ridiculous can you be, Doube D? It's a fucking launch title...usually these are rushed well ahead of their time. If they had it to do over, I'm more than certain that the coders on that team would rewrite major parts of their engine, knowing now what they do about the system...but it's a launch title. I don't think many if any people out there are really going to notice some corner-cutting to get the game out the door on time. The only people dragging this shit around the yard, making a bigger deal out of it than it really is, are people like you. Should we crucify Sony once the inevitable 720p natively rendered Sony title releases? They were talking up the whole 1080p bit, weren't they? Let's go ahead and be ridiculous and hang them if any Sony titles fail to meet that baseline resolution then. Sheesh.

Doube D

MightyHedgehog said:
Jesus, how fucking ridiculous can you be, Doube D? It's a fucking launch title...usually these are rushed well ahead of their time. If they had it to do over, I'm more than certain that the coders on that team would rewrite major parts of their engine, knowing now what they do about the system...but it's a launch title. I don't think many if any people out there are really going to notice some corner-cutting to get the game out the door on time. The only people dragging this shit around the yard, making a bigger deal out of it than it really is, are people like you.

Then maybe MS shouldn't make bold statements that it knows it can't back up (I believe the adage is putting your foot in your mouth). OR, just MAYBE, they should give the team more time and release a FINISHED product instead of rushed job. Either way, when you make bold statements like 720p or no cigar, you should back it up or suck it up. It’s good to see MS get free PR support from its hardcore backers though…very empathetic of you, mighty hedge hog.

Doube D said:
Then maybe MS shouldn't make bold statements that it knows it can't back up (I believe the adage is putting your foot in your mouth). OR, just MAYBE, they should give the team more time and release a FINISHED product instead of rushed job. Either way, when you make bold statements like 720p or no cigar, you should back it up or suck it up. It’s good to see MS get free PR support from its hardcore backers though…very empathetic of you, mighty hedge hog.

It's called reality. I live there. Apparently, you don't.

MightyHedgehog said:
Should we crucify Sony once the inevitable 720p natively rendered Sony title releases?

If they have a big launch title at launch and it isn't atleast 720 do you really think people are just going to say "Well ok its a launch title"?

Speevy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If they have a big launch title at launch and it isn't atleast 720 do you really think people are just going to say "Well ok its a launch title"?

No I think at least 90% of people will say "720?"

:p

dorio

Banned
Doube D said:
What the hell? Videogame companies making bold statements that they know they can't backup!? Am I living in an altered universe. :lol

Doube D

dorio said:
What the hell? Videogame companies making bold statements that they know they can't backup!? Am I living in an altered universe. :lol

I never said they don't, im simply saying that to crucify them is justified. So ill get the wood, you get the nails, and mighty hedge hog can get j allard. :D

vas

Error Macro said:
And it looks fantastic. Hey! Whaddaya know.
It looks good in its native resolution, i agree. The problem is the rendered image is scaled up to 1280x720 once it hits your HDTV or LCD. Thus resulting in a less sharp muddy look. Try any pc game for example on a pc at 1024x768 on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024 and you will understand why this bothers me.

There is also the issue of being decieved by MS's advertising/hype campaign...

vas said:
It looks good in its native resolution, i agree. The problem is the rendered image is scaled up to 1280x720 once it hits your HDTV or LCD. Thus resulting in a less sharp muddy look. Try any pc game for example on a pc at 1024x768 on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024 and you will understand why this bothers me.

The difference being that the scaling is done inside the X360 and apprently done really well according to Blim Blim. What your 720p HDTV will see is 720p. You won't have to use their crappy scaler.

There is also the issue of being decieved by MS's advertising/hype campaign...

There is whole lot more "deceptions" to come from all parties in the coming months and years. You better get use to it. ;)

vas

Shogmaster said:
The difference being that the scaling is done inside the X360 and apprently done really well according to Blim Blim. What your 720p HDTV will see is 720p. You won't have to use their crappy scaler.
I did read Blimblim's quote, however he uses a dlp and im gonna be on an an lcd. From what I understand DLP's are slightly more forgiving. Also, some lcd's and HDTV's have scalers that are on par with scaling done on adapters/progressive dvd players. For example I get almost Identical results when scaling is done on my 6800gt to scaling done on my sony lcd.

Bottom line, scaling is scaling no matter where it happens. Original content is stretched.

vas said:
I did read Blimblim's quote, however he uses a dlp and im gonna be on an an lcd. From what I understand DLP's are slightly more forgiving.

Not at all. They are both fixed pixel displays. Scaling sucks equally on both.

Also, some lcd's and HDTV's have scalers that are on par with scaling done on adapters/progressive dvd players. For example I get almost Identical results when scaling is done on my 6800gt to scaling done on my sony lcd.

We don't have enough info to compare scaling done on the X360's video out chip vs these other methods.

Bottom line, scaling is scaling no matter where it happens. Original content is stretched.

Yes, but not all scalers are equal. Some will be better. But of course, I'd rather not have any upscaling. Downscaling is OK with me though. Given the choice, I'd rather play a 720p game on a 852x480 native display then on a 1920x1080 native display.

vas

I guess I will have to buy it on dec 2 (UK launch) and see for myself how good the x360 scaler is. Good thing about this country is that most places have flexible return policies, even after the game has been opened (although they stopped doing that for pc games not too long ago). In fact GAME (equivalent of electronics boutique in US) has 10 day no questions asked policy, so if u dont like the game u bring it back and get ur money back.

Still, this game better be the only exception to the 720p rule...

Top Bottom