• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ireland has first-in-world national referendum on gay marriage [Update: Yes Wins]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

I'm just going to post this too, which my GF took this morning.

BZ6FdqB.jpg
Just gross. The people who think this way don't even respect themselves enough to avoid blatant lies. They jump right to the hateful propaganda because they've gotta win at all costs.

I bet they like to think of themselves as good people too. Joke of the century.

Jamie OD

I've seen so much support for the "Yes" side in Dublin this week that I have a hard time thinking it won't be passed. There is a worry of a shy No vote making results closer than the polls predict but I'm confident in a Yes victory.

There is also a referendum to lower the age for eligibilty to be Ireland's president from 35 to 21 happening at the same time but no one cares about that compared to the gay marriage vote.

I've seen so much support for the "Yes" side in Dublin this week that I have a hard time thinking it won't be passed. There is a worry of a shy No vote making results closer than the polls predict but I'm confident in a Yes victory.

There is also a referendum to lower the age for eligibilty to be Ireland's president from 35 to 21 happening at the same time but no one cares about that compared to the gay marriage vote.

You probably shouldn't be president at 21.

Dublin has always been fairly liberal though, it's the conservative country folk that could screw this up.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Would vote yes but I'm on the other side of the border.

Tak3n

Banned
all this just goes to show as a world how far we still have left to go.... there should be no need for a referendum, it should just be passed....

same with abortions as well, all these draconian laws need to disappear, it is the 21st century FFS

Joni

all this just goes to show as a world how far we still have left to go.... there should be no need for a referendum, it should just be passed....

It can't just be passed. Ivysaur12 has explained that very clearly. There is a way to change the constitution and that only can with a referendum. There is no way to 'just pass' the law.

kiguel182

A referendum should not be used for stuff like this. So dumb.

Gay marriage should be legal and that's final. There's even no point in discussing it. And a referendum normally referes to stuff that has a big impact on the lives of the people in the country and whether two people want to spend their life together does not fit that description.

But, hopefully it passes. Fingers crossed.

Joni

Majority vote on minority rights,,
If this happened in the US, gay marriage would be a thing. If you had to rely on US politicians, it would never be a thing.

And a referendum normally referes to stuff that has a big impact on the lives of the people in the country and whether two people want to spend their life together does not fit that description.
Changing the constitution does, no?

kiguel182

If this happened in the US, gay marriage would be a thing. If you had to rely on US politicians, it would never be a thing.

Changing the constitution does, no?

Depends on what you want to change. In this case it really doesn't.

And, I don't know if you are american, but at least where I live changing the constitution isn't such a sacred thing and while it's obviously harder to do than simply pass laws it doesn't require referendums. I don't know how it is in Ireland but since it's also an EU country I'm assuming it's similar, alt ought I might be wrong obviously.

Joni

And, I don't know if you are american, but at least where I live changing the constitution isn't such a sacred thing and while it's obviously harder to do than simply pass laws it doesn't require referendums. I don't know how it is in Ireland but since it's also an EU country I'm assuming it's similar, alt ought I might be wrong obviously.

It is literally in the well-researched OP. It can't be changed without the referendum.

If it didn't pass, it would be one of the biggest upsets in polling in the modern western world, considering the margin of support most polls have predicted. Which, again, unlikely.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ded-for-no-side-to-carry-referendum-1.2214674

While yes the polls have been quite strongly in favour of Marriage Equality passing, this is by no means a sure fire thing. While I do believe it will ultimately pass, one of the greatest worries regarding this is that young individuals most strongly support Marriage Equality (the university where I'm the Deputy Auditor of the LGBTQ+ Society had a 97% vote in favour of Marriage Equality and registered over 4,000 people to vote) yet there is a very real fear amongst many that this age group will not turn up to the polls, given the historically low turnout in this category. This, combined with apathy brought about by previously strong polls in favour of a Yes vote as individuals feel it's a certainty whether they vote or not, and the passion among No voters ensuring that they'll head to the ballot (particularly when elderly individuals have a much higher turnout) is quite a worry. When combined with a poor performance by the "Yes" side on the most recent Prime Time and Vincent Brown debates which are rather crucial in swaying undecided votes, has me particularly worried. In addition, the fear of individuals saying they're going to vote yes when in reality they will vote no is very real, given the backlash many public supporters of no voters have faced and the persecution complex which has developed (there are, literally, posters encouraging individuals to vote no for freedom of conscience).

While the no side has managed the campaign very poorly (understandably, they have nothing to work on), the result of the Divorce referendum still lingers when every poll was so strongly in favour of divorce passing and, ultimately, it passed only by the slimmest of margins. In saying that, I do strongly believe that it will pass, but I definitely do not thing it will be a roaring victory by any means.

operon

While yes the polls have been quite strongly in favour of Marriage Equality passing, this is by no means a sure fire thing. While I do believe it will ultimately pass, one of the greatest worries regarding this is that young individuals most strongly support Marriage Equality (the university where I'm the Deputy Auditor of the LGBTQ+ Society had a 97% vote in favour of Marriage Equality and registered over 4,000 people to vote) yet there is a very real fear amongst many that this age group will not turn up to the polls, given the historically low turnout in this category. This, combined with apathy brought about by previously strong polls in favour of a Yes vote as individuals feel it's a certainty whether they vote or not, and the passion among No voters ensuring that they'll head to the ballot (particularly when elderly individuals have a much higher turnout) is quite a worry. When combined with a poor performance by the "Yes" side on the most recent Prime Time and Vincent Brown debates which are rather crucial in swaying undecided votes, has me particularly worried. In addition, the fear of individuals saying they're going to vote yes when in reality they will vote no is very real, given the backlash many public supporters of no voters have faced and the persecution complex which has developed (there are, literally, posters encouraging individuals to vote no for freedom of conscience).

While the no side has managed the campaign very poorly (understandably, they have nothing to work on), the result of the Divorce referendum still lingers when every poll was so strongly in favour of divorce passing and, ultimately, it passed only by the slimmest of margins. In saying that, I do strongly believe that it will pass, but I definitely do not thing it will be a roaring victory by any means.

The divorce referendum is so long ago, Ireland is a different country to back the.

danthefan

In Ireland if you want to add punctuation to the constitution it requires a referendum. It is the ONLY way to alter it.

Kenai

Gogogogogogogo get it passed!

Srsly though that Simpsons gif and that ginger poster made me chock on breakfast. Brilliant stuff.

cameron

http://i.imgur.com/BZ6FdqB.jpg

These are really appalling. They're expected, but it's gross seeing them in print media form. I guess they'll make for "interesting" memorabilia, like anti-suffrage or anti-miscegenation posters.

Liamario

Banned

BZ6FdqB.jpg

The people who read and agree with this leaflet, are in the single percentile and were already voting no. Anyone else reading this are either laughing at it or are offended by it. Also, you know you're desperate when you have to start calling gay people unnatural. You've already lost.

Catholicism in Ireland is a cultural thing now and every time I see a congregation leaving the local church, the age group is getting older and older.

It won't win. They haven't a single valid argument against it. So argumentless in fact, that they had to raise unrelated issues in order to scaremonger and muddy the issue,

I think yes will win but I'm not sure if it'll be as clear cut as a victory as people seem to predict. Yes is winning by a landslide all over social media, but of course it would, it's filled with young, reasonably well educated people. You don't really hear from the older, church going crowd on there and who know's maybe they're as riled up for voting no as the rest of us are for yes.

It is deeply frustrating that Irish citizens that are not resident in the Republic are prevented from taking part in this referendum. There are many people in the North, myself included, and further abroad who would vote in this referendum if they were given the chance to do so.

Kanhir

I can't vote because, as an emigrant, I've apparently given up the right to decide whether I can get married. Ridiculous.

Results are due tomorrow afternoon. Combine that with Eurovision, and it'll be the most fabulous day in Irish history!

There's a small part of me that hopes it doesn't pass purely because I'll make serious cash off paddy power.

And because we have a history of just doing referendums again when we don't get the answer we really want. Eg Nice, Lisbon treaties so we'll get a yes regardless thankfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom