• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games open to making Sunset Overdrive 2 if given the opportunity

DeaDPo0L84

Me and my wife both just got Xbox ones and this was the first game we played. Unfortunately we were disappointed to find out coop needed 8 players and nobody seems to play chaos squad anymore. The single player is still a ton of fun but huge missed opportunity to not have campaign coop.

Doubt it, MS were apparently less than impressed with the development troubles Crytek were having with Ryse, which is why they wanted to buy the IP from them.

What would that matter? Crytek were still apparently going to develop Ryse 2 even if they sold the IP to Microsoft, so it wouldn't have changed a whole lot.

Microsoft haven't announced a single game they haven't owned since Phil Spencer took over (excluding indie and timed exclusives), so that's why I made that guess. It seems to me like they want to own their IPs now and avoid situations like Mass Effect and Gears of War (which they spent a lot of money buying off Epic).

Sunset Overdrive is the only reason I still kinda want a Xbone. I just can't justify buying the Xbone for one game. Same thing with Bayonetta 1/2 on WiiU. lol

Come on, guys. Let's not pretend Sunset Overdrive was anything more than a mediocre game that couldn't even keep exciting for the duration it its own game, let alone establish an exciting world or premise worth making a sequel for.

No one's talked about Sunset Overdrive for years, up until now, because it's boring. Let it lie.

kWNtav3.gif

N7.Angel

it was mediocre, repetitive and I hate those fucking defense base missions, I don't think anyone will fund something like this again, just concentrate on Spiderman and Ratchet and Clanked for now.

If they're making a sequel though, make it quicker, it was so slow I could take a nap between two walls, boring ( the DA was awesome though, ).

It's one of my favourite games of this generation so far and I think if a sequel was greenlit then Insomniac could really blow us away with a bigger and better second game.

Was there an MS email going around polling people about a sequel a while back or did I just wish that happened in a dream?

I-hate-u

Isn't Spiderman the follow up game from Sunset's core development team? I reckon that franchise will keep them busy for a while.

Sunset might have been the testing ground for Spiderman.

Because Scalebound has been know about for years now and Sea of Thieves might possibly already be out when E3 rolls around. All the rest of their games are sequels, its time to announce some new IP.

With all the major trade shows being done for the year if there will be a new IP announced before E3 it would probably be during a formal Scorpio reveal presentation. If that were to happen before E3, which I think is unlikely. You are correct that Microsoft has been very silent about they have planned for future. Maybe they just don't want to announce games too early in development any more.

What would that matter? Crytek were still apparently going to develop Ryse 2 even if they sold the IP to Microsoft, so it wouldn't have changed a whole lot.

Microsoft haven't announced a single game they haven't owned since Phil Spencer took over (excluding indie and timed exclusives), so that's why I made that guess. It seems to me like they want to own their IPs now and avoid situations like Mass Effect and Gears of War (which they spent a lot of money buying off Epic).

Being the owner of the IP would give them more right to intervene and micro-manage development I guess.

Q8D3vil

Im really surprise they didnt self release it on Steam yet.
Gotta think there is good money there ( for the right price ).

I thought the only reason it hasn't happened yet was because the spidey game. If that's not the case Ms needs to fix it ASAP!

I thought the only reason it hasn't happened yet was because the spidey game. If that's not the case Ms needs to fix it ASAP!

Even if it was green lit it wouldn't happen until Spider-Man is done, but I'm sure as an independent studio Insomniac would love the security of having other big projects already lined up as soon as they finish the current one.

Thinking about it, didn't Sunset go on GwG a few months back? Have MS put out lots of their published games on GwG, testing the waters (I'm clutching at straws aren't I) maybe?

Edit, just looked on Wiki and they have given out D4 as well, pack it up folks. Nothing to see here.

This game was good enough for a sequel. The mechanics and speed of the game (imho) were uncommon enough to find an audience.

More guns, wierder guns, more maps. All good.

Jumeira

Banned
Phil did say he's happy to invest in first party IPs, I don't think we've seen the last of SSO, wouldn't surprise me if Insomniac get the go ahead to make a Scorpio optimised sequel.

SlickVic

It will be a great day if Sunset Overdrive 2 is announced. One of my favorite games to come out of this generation.

Even if it was green lit it wouldn't happen until Spider-Man is done, but I'm sure as an independent studio Insomniac would love the security of having other big projects already lined up as soon as they finish the current one.
Of course, but what I fear is that Spiderman games is going to be this project for a while now

God I wish. Bought an Xbox One just to play it, kept my Xbox One for, well, exclusives, but also to play it.

I'll never understand the "game was great but kill the humor" crowd. It's divisive and a little abrasive, but the game's humor is an inextricable part of its personality and aesthetic. It's a game about toxic energy drinks, what sort of humor was it supposed to have?

Lucreto

Once I get another full fledged Ratchet game sometime soon I don't care what they do with Sunset Overdrive or Spiderman.

JimiNutz

Banned
I loved Sunset Overdrive so much.
In the interest of sales I would remove the punk theme though. Punk just isn't popular these days and I saw a lot or criticisms about the music and Punk aesthetic.

I loved Sunset Overdrive so much.
In the interest of sales I would remove the punk theme though. Punk just isn't popular these days and I saw a lot or criticisms about the music and Punk aesthetic.

Yeah, I'd go along with the removal of the punk theme for something more representative of todays younger generations.

Shredderi

Played this at my friend's house and I didn't like it. It has some good elements in it but in the end the open world structure ruins the game for me. The game would have been so much better if it had big, well designed and paced levels instead.

Blindy

Come on, guys. Let's not pretend Sunset Overdrive was anything more than a mediocre game that couldn't even keep exciting for the duration it its own game, let alone establish an exciting world or premise worth making a sequel for.

No one's talked about Sunset Overdrive for years, up until now, because it's boring. Let it lie.
Wut?

It's the most polished, most fun XB1 exclusive out there. It doesn't have glitches up the ass like other games ala Recore, GOW: Ultimate Edition or Halo:MCC.

It just came out too soon given the negative aura XB1 had and that when the game came out, not many people had a console as opposed to nowadays where due to sales and good publicity, more XB1 exist in homes.

Castef

Banned
Hey, Microsoft. 2 simple steps.

1: release Sunset Overdrive on PC.

2: publish Sunset Overdrive 2 on PC and Xbox One.

LewieP

I'd quite like to try this, but not enough to buy an Xbox One for.

I'd be on board if they ported it to a platform I have, or did a sequel on a platform I have.

It's not unheard of for a Kickstarter to catch the eye of larger publishers, though.

I think most major publishers would take a phone call from Insomniac.

Although I'm not convinced a large Sunset Overdrive sequel would be a sound investment proposition for most of them.

They should put the OG on Steam and the Win Store first and recoup some dev costs. They can't have made much on it if anything at all.

Did you play the game like a third-person shooter?

Insomniac once stated that SO was the game that they had always wanted to be able to make and that they where thankful to MS for letting them have a blank canvas. I hope MS continue to let them make their dreams be reality by continuing the series. It really is something special and it's one of my favorite games of all time. You could even say that it's the most insomniac game of all time. I think only halo tops it for me.

So please MS, realize that you have something special here. This is how you make an awesome exclusive portfolio. Not every game needs to be record breaking in terms of sales. It's ok to fund, produce and cultivate games that don't cater to everyone or even the majority and are a little niche. Those niche fans will stick around your ecosystem through thick and thin as long as you keep the games coming. Even if the series becomes huge and you somehow lose the rights to the game and it ends up on other systems or something the gaming community will be grateful to you for helping to give the series wings and if we are being honest you need all the brownie points you can get.

Come on MS, don't let Insomniacs dreams be dreams,

01b8ddc1a974a6177b2447c506e74b240f3556de_hq.gif

Also, please port the first one to PC! Mk thnx by.

nynt9

While this opinion is aggressively and kind of trollishly stated, I agree with the point that the game wasn't that good. I played through all of it, and a lot of it was a slog. The on-rails mechanic just wasn't that great of an idea in practice and doesn't have a lot of room for growth. I think the game suffered from being open world, and work a lot better as a semi-linear game with a hub or something. There are many frustrations I have with its combat as well, but I really don't care enough about the game to complain about it extensively. I think that Insomniac could spend their talents better elsewhere. I've played pretty much every Insomniac game except for their mobile efforts, Fuse and Disruptor, and this was the second worst game I've played from them (Song of the Deep being the worst). Their VR efforts were really good too. So yeah, just do something better IMO. Let this failed attempt at a franchise with terrible humor lie.

blakep267

I'd love a sequel. But it looks like Ceackdown 3 fills the void of open world action adventure game for MS in their catalogue and they normally don't like having multiple types of the same game coming from first party ( aside from forA)

FelipeMGM

Isn't Spiderman the follow up game from Sunset's core development team? I reckon that franchise will keep them busy for a while.

Sunset might have been the testing ground for Spiderman.

Hmm, kinda but not really I think

They are using some designs and mechanics applied in SO in Spider-man, but like the creative director is not the same and the game director for Sunset doesnt even work on Insomniac anymore.

Most of the studios is working on Spider-man, so yeah, a bunch of people who worked on Sunset Overdrive are making this game as well, but when it comes to creative proccess I would say its not exactly the same core team, and production side is def not the same since this is a work between three companies (Insomniac, Marvel and SIE San Mateo)

Top Bottom