• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games open to making Sunset Overdrive 2 if given the opportunity

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What happened to Insomniac wanting to be independent and creating the games they want?

Seems like they still can't make their own games, and have to rely on big publisher money. A new Sunset Overdrive is likely a guaranteed Microsoft exclusive, which I imagine isn't what their original intentions were of not being owned by a big publisher. I'm not seeing how their current situation is an example of independence?

etrain911

Insomniac actually owns the IP which is why they went exclusive to XB1. The first one was a really colorful and fun romp from what I played of it, I hope they have enough in their coffers to go multiplatform because I think it would be really good for them.

Par Score

This game was good enough for a sequel. The mechanics and speed of the game (imho) were uncommon enough to find an audience.

More guns, wierder guns, more maps. All good.

Games don't get sequels because they're "good enough", they get sequels because they make enough money.

If Sunset Overdrive was a sales success, they'd probably get to make a sequel. Since it wasn't, they probably won't.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Chris1

Games don't get sequels because they're "good enough", they get sequels because they make enough money.

If Sunset Overdrive was a sales success, they'd probably get to make a sequel. Since it wasn't, they probably won't.
Not always true. If SO was a 95 metacritic we'd see a sequel for sure.

Cindro

It's my absolute favorite non-Nintendo game since the Arkham series started, and I can't even imagine how glorious a beefed up sequel will be.

I just have very little hope that the first one breached enough gamer mindshare to warrant the resource allocation necessary for turning it into an ongoing franchise.

But if this someday gets greenlit, I'll be a huge supporter.

FelipeMGM

Don't know if posted but ms responded at gamespot

"Insomniac Games is a great partner and we love working with them," the spokesperson said. "We are all proud of Sunset Overdrive and are always looking at ways to bring games to our fans. We have no further news at this time."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-proud-of-sunset-overdrive-but-no-word-on/1100-6444108/

sigh, this is such a non answer

Marcus Smith which was the creative director on Sunset was the cd on Feral Rites as well which already shipped so I hope he works on a pitch for SO2 to try to convince MS or some other publisher or even launch a KS maybe, IDK

But the fact that he went straight to a VR game right after Sunset Overdrive is not a great sign

volcarona

How about an HD remake for Spyro instead

But for now focus on Spider-Man, we really need a Spider-Man game at least on par with Batman's Arkham series in quality.

mejin

Insomniac should really get a third party to publish another game. After Ratchet and Spiderman, PS4 community will be aware of their next games.

Eh, I could live without in all honesty.

I'll never get why Insomniac made such a huge deal out of retaining ownership of this IP though... most especially now it's become clear that they can do nothing with it without Microsoft's say so anyway.

Is it safe to assume that the team working on Spider-Man right now is the same one that made Sunset Overdrive? The timing sure works out.

Shin-chan

I think when comedy is as polarising as SO that's never a good thing for a product, whether you like it or not. If you try to make someone laugh but make them wince there's almost no winning them back, so relying on comedy to market the game was a bad idea. I also think it was a bad idea to make that particular brand of comedy a focus of the title in general because it's clearly devicive even just on this forum.

If a sequel was going to be made it would have been in the works since a few months after the first one came out. I don't think MS is interested in a poor seller, especially one where they don't own the IP. And I can't see any other publisher ponying up cash for a sequel to SO just as a product that's designed to make money. Spiritual successor, sure, but not sequel.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This would be incredible. Sunset overdrive was incredible. I'll buy you the t shirt Phil

Menitta

I hope they're given that opportunity. Sunset Overdrive was great, but far from perfect. I bet SO2 would be awesome. Also, hopefully the humor would be a little less on the nose.

Insomniac should really get a third party to publish another game. After Ratchet and Spiderman, PS4 community will be aware of their next games.

You do know that the vast majority of Insomniac'a games are PlayStation exclusives? If any one is aware of their work it is PlayStation owners.

Is it safe to assume that the team working on Spider-Man right now is the same one that made Sunset Overdrive? The timing sure works out.

Most of their staff working on Spider-Man, not just one team. They said it's their biggest project ever.

Loved loved loved this game.

Still need to beat the DLC though, but I heard the pay-off is better if you've seen all the shows they did for the game. I'll have to get back to this soon.

Once you get the hang of the controls (and air dash), it's just a joy to speed through the city.

Chris1

Eh, I could live without in all honesty.

I'll never get why Insomniac made such a huge deal out of retaining ownership of this IP though... most especially now it's become clear that they can do nothing with it without Microsoft's say so anyway.
They can do whatever they want with the IP. MS can't stop them from putting a sequel on PS4, NX or wherever they like, they just aren't gonna fund it (obviously). If Sony or Nintendo wants to fund it It'd happen but they don't want to and Sony already said no to the first game.

Sunset Overdrive 1 is another matter, but I think expecting MS to fund a game then release it on their competitors platform is ridiculous. Of course it's gonna be exclusive to Xbox/maybe PC in future.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I actually want to replay this now. Is there an easy way to do that? I seem to remember that you can only replay individual missions.

Also, a lot of the humor was great. Stupid, but good. Stupid good. Lighten up

I was absolutely gutted when I saw Insomniac Games in the Spiderman trailer. I want SSO 2 nearly as much as I want Metroid Prime 4 and Half-Life 3.

Unit24

Eh, I can't bring myself to care much about Sunset Overdrive. The art style was great and the gameplay was pretty unique (if somewhat repetitive), but the jokes were very hit or miss, leaning towards bad IMO. The "haha us gamers" self aware humor got very tiresome very fast, and it was laid on so thick that it was impossible to ignore.

JaggedSac

Come on, guys. Let's not pretend Sunset Overdrive was anything more than a mediocre game that couldn't even keep exciting for the duration it its own game, let alone establish an exciting world or premise worth making a sequel for.

No one's talked about Sunset Overdrive for years, up until now, because it's boring. Let it lie.

I can't tell anymore, is this one of those sarcasm posts?

Sydle

Loved this game so much once I got the air dash. If a sequel happened I would love to see an even bigger world, more player abilities, and co-op.

Fox Mulder

It obviously didn't do well enough, but it was also a first year xb1 title with all that fresh negative buzz around the console.

They should at least do a PC port first before giving up on it though.

I'd like to see what they could do with a sequel, but I can also see Microsoft's hesitation.

I think a good middle ground would be to make the original a Xbox Play Anywhere title. Wouldn't be a bad way to gauge interest.

Chris1

It obviously didn't do well enough, but it was also a first year xb1 title with all that fresh negative buzz around the console.

They should at least do a PC port first before giving up on it though.

They did give it away with GWG this year though, I've gotta assume they use stats from that to gauge how many people are interested in a sequel, aswell (how many people completed the game? etc)

But I do agree, I'd love a PC port if it improves the chances of SO2. SO1 wasn't perfect but it was a damn good attempt at a new IP. Probably the best from MS this gen ignoring Ori. A sequel would help flesh it out and truly be something remarkable, it'd be a shame if the franchise dies now.

Valahart

I wish they'd release the first game to PC just so it would grow that fanbase.

It was so good, I'm still amazed by how they managed to make traversing the city so much fun.

EDIT: oops, that's been mentioned already

Top Bottom