• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] PlayStation 5 Pro is “100%” in Development.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Who the fuck is this?

And more importantly, are they credible?

We've had our fare share of fuckboy insiders who claim to know things when they don't. One clown claimed PS5 was pushing 13TF before launch and most people here ran with it. May he rot in hell.
When it comes to PS hardware Tom has somebody on the inside so yeah he is quite credible, first person to break the pro DualSense controller as far as I know

When it comes to PS hardware Tom has somebody on the inside so yeah he is quite credible, first person to break the pro DualSense controller as far as I know
Oh wow.

Damn, I'm glad I held off getting a PS5 for so long. I'd rather pick up a pro version.
Happened last gen too. For some reason the gaming gods prevented me from getting a PS4 and one day I just picked up a PS4 Pro instead.
Wound up with 100+ games for it lol.

Exciting times ahead for PS5 Pro. Any idea what specs it might have?

Last edited:
Oh wow.

Damn, I'm glad I held off getting a PS5 for so long. I'd rather pick up a pro version.
Happened last gen too. For some reason the gaming gods prevented me from getting a PS4 and one day I just picked up a PS4 Pro instead.

Custom Strix Halo could be a good approximation. But this isn't coming until Q4 2024. I will probably just trade in my PS5 and upgrade to Pro.

Quantum253

Custom Strix Halo could be a good approximation. But this isn't coming until Q4 2024. I will probably just trade in my PS5 and upgrade to Pro.
Is there any word of a State of Play this year where the Pro would be announced? The last was April for FFXVI, but specific game showcases doesn't really help with all around announcements. With E3 all but gone now, it's hard to tell when to expect any announcements

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh wow.

I personally have zero clue on specs

The only thing that keeps getting repeated to me is not a big bump in raw power but a very large ray tracing boost

The thought on TFs is around 15 but I wouldn’t bet any money on it

ChiefDada

Gold Member

The only thing that keeps getting repeated to me is not a big bump in raw power but a very large ray tracing boost

Makes sense they would focus on RT, especially considering Mark Cerny's comment on ray tracing being the new 3rd era of video game graphics after 2d and 3d.

I initially thought that Pro models for this generation would be useless, but now I actually believe Pro models make much more practical sense than last gen Pro models because of the availability of fixed function RT hardware and AI upscaling that can even be better marketed than the ps4 pro and Xbox one x ever could. I can imagine them advertising side by side screenshots of ps5 rasterization vs ps5 Pro RTGI for first party titles. A much easier sell than ps4 1080p vs ps4 pro 1440p - checkerboard 4k.

Huh that's interesting. Either way I hope its a slightly smaller form factor but whatever form it takes, I'll be there day 1.

Oh wow.

Whats there to be glad about not getting a PS5 for years and getting a newer version in a year, maybe later? Im glad I got to play my PS5 day one, get to sell it for a good price when moving to a PS5 Pro and not being without a PS5 period. I get the choice not to buy something for whatever reason, but you state it like you won / gained something. Just curious.

PeteBull

Considering we now have upscaled 720p games I think a boost in raw power in warranted apart from a major boost in RT.
I would expect at minimum ps4pr0 treatment so double CU and upped clocks of cpu/gpu on top, but very likely we gonna get newer cpu archi too, since ps5base cpu is zen2 architecture, which basically means r7 3700x heavily downclocked and with less cache, huge room for improvement there, same like with gpu.
And here just for comparision 4 gens of amd zen cpu's

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Seems like an awful waste if that isnthe case, like the original ps5 was just some terrible half step...or the ps5 Pro is some terrible half step.....

I hope it will be atleast twice as powerful

Slightly up clocked cpu

24gb of ram but maybe 20gb would work

72 cus clocked at 2ghz plus

1.5tb nvme

Think that would be the dream, target 20tf of full RDNA 3. Or custom 2 with extra raytracing support.

Loxus

Makes sense they would focus on RT, especially considering Mark Cerny's comment on ray tracing being the new 3rd era of video game graphics after 2d and 3d.

I initially thought that Pro models for this generation would be useless, but now I actually believe Pro models make much more practical sense than last gen Pro models because of the availability of fixed function RT hardware and AI upscaling that can even be better marketed than the ps4 pro and Xbox one x ever could. I can imagine them advertising side by side screenshots of ps5 rasterization vs ps5 Pro RTGI for first party titles. A much easier sell than ps4 1080p vs ps4 pro 1440p - checkerboard 4k.

If you're going by Mark Cerny, doubling the CU count may no happen based on what he said in Road to PS5.

"Also, it's easier to fully use 36CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48CUs. When triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."

Another thing we must understand, is what AMD RT performance is.
In RDNA 3, RT only got a 50% performance increase per CU.
2B2IwW8.png

Ai upscaling maybe is what defines PS5 vs PS5 Pro.

A PS5 Pro would be great, but the devs really needs to step up their optimizations, that's the problem.

Remember, this game is running on Jaguar CPUs and a 1.84 TFLOP GCN GPU.

PS5 on it's own is powerful enough to pull through this generation.

Last edited:
I can't see how they can offer double the performance for less than $600 but at the same time I can't see them selling at over $600.

leizzra

I think that, in the whole discussion about how much more powerful PS5 Pro should be, people should remember why PS4 Pro was designed. It was mostly for taking PS4 games into 4K and also for better performance for PSVR. That was it's intend and that's what we got.

Sony took the smart approach - making quite simple upgrade (like more then x2 the performance and not changing too much for 100% compatibility), nothing fancy in oposite to Microsoft. No offence, Xbox One X was great but it was an overkill for what it was supposed to be - an upgrade to an existing generation, so bound by it. Also a statement that for MS gaming is still very important so that they've made a more powerful machine then the competition (also more expensive and one year later then the Pro - but still they've gone with it).

Now PS5 Pro should be made for what? 8K probably is not the target (nor it should be). Better performance for PSVR2 can be on the table. Better resolution and frame rate? Maybe but still there is a base PS5 which is targeting 4K and 60 fps (with lower resolution). If the Pro would be a target for 4K then what would be with PS5? Anyway we were in similar place with the PS4 Pro - people were afraid that base consoles will be left with poorer versions. That wasn't the case, Pro was really utilised mostly for that higher pixel count.

Better RT is a subject that seams weak to sell (marketing-wise PS5 is also RT capable) and implementation whould be problematic - devs need to make yet another version with tweaked settings. It's not what you want (which previouse generation showed - Pro and especially X1 weren't utilised to their full potential) as an game developer with tight budgets. Probably mostly it would be ok for 1st party teams. Also you don't want people who bought base PS5 to feel that they have an inferior version of the game.

I for sure don't see a point in this upgrade like some other people also think. Better performance for PSVR2 is something, but the question is how much better CPU or/and GPU must be for that. Probably not much. Also if it's really even needed (VR won't be a big thing). Targeting 4K with 60 fps is technically something for the enthusiasts - you don't want compromises then buy a Pro. Is it something big? Probably not but maybe better then VR. This also doesn't need a lot of increase in the performance, nothing like x2 that the PS4 Pro had.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think that, in the whole discussion about how much more powerful PS5 Pro should be, people should remember why PS4 Pro was designed. It was mostly for taking PS4 games into 4K and also for better performance for PSVR. That was it's intend and that's what we got.

Sony took the smart approach - making quite simple upgrade (like more then x2 the performance and not changing too much for 100% compatibility), nothing fancy in oposite to Microsoft. No offence, Xbox One X was great but it was an overkill for what it was supposed to be - an upgrade to an existing generation, so bound by it. Also a statement that for MS gaming is still very important so that they've made a more powerful machine then the competition (also more expensive and one year later then the Pro - but still they've gone with it).

Now PS5 Pro should be made for what? 8K probably is not the target (nor it should be). Better performance for PSVR2 can be on the table. Better resolution and frame rate? Maybe but still there is a base PS5 which is targeting 4K and 60 fps (with lower resolution). If the Pro would be a target for 4K then what would be with PS5? Anyway we were in similar place with the PS4 Pro - people were afraid that base consoles will be left with poorer versions. That wasn't the case, Pro was really utilised mostly for that higher pixel count.

Better RT is a subject that seams weak to sell (marketing-wise PS5 is also RT capable) and implementation whould be problematic - devs need to make yet another version with tweaked settings. It's not what you want (which previouse generation showed - Pro and especially X1 weren't utilised to their full potential) as an game developer with tight budgets. Probably mostly it would be ok for 1st party teams. Also you don't want people who bought base PS5 to feel that they have an inferior version of the game.

I for sure don't see a point in this upgrade like some other people also think. Better performance for PSVR2 is something, but the question is how much better CPU or/and GPU must be for that. Probably not much. Also if it's really even needed (VR won't be a big thing). Targeting 4K with 60 fps is technically something for the enthusiasts - you don't want compromises then buy a Pro. Is it something big? Probably not but maybe better then VR. This also doesn't need a lot of increase in the performance, nothing like x2 that the PS4 Pro had.
I think that in order to make a noticeable difference (especially with devs not spending much time optimising for a Pro console) it would need way more than 2x performance of the base console now… more like 3-4x.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

But your first statement is false and Sony even said so themselves that the PS4 Pro was designed because Sony had internal data that showed people started migrating towards the PC space about half way through the life of a console and they wanted to keep people in the Sony ecosystem.

"I saw some data that really influenced me," House told The Guardian. "It suggested that there's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro--and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-explains-how-ps4-pro-may-help-keep-people-fro/1100-6443431/

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Not looking forward to mid-gen refreshes at all. I think the image comparisons will be telling in showing how useless it will be this generation.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Not looking forward to mid-gen refreshes at all. I think the image comparisons will be telling in showing how useless it will be this generation.
There is a possibility that it will help more for the next gen that this gen, if the PS6 will heavily use Raytracing. And this will be more of a stop gap against PC for enthusiasts anyway. It does not have to be that much better, just enough and some people will buy it. Look at the Dualsense Edge VS a standard Dualsense. And the premium that Sony get on it. I can see that for the PS5 Pro. Xbox is in a more confusing situation because they already have 2 SKU. High/Low is already a first in the console business. But a High/Mid/Low? when the Mid was touted as "the best console ever"? This will be fun to see from a PR perspective. I can see a Ultra as the future name to have a S/X/U but it will be weird no matter what they choose.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
There is a possibility that it will help more for the next gen that this gen, if the PS6 will heavily use Raytracing. And this will be more of a stop gap against PC for enthusiasts anyway. It does not have to be that much better, just enough and some people will buy it. Look at the Dualsense Edge VS a standard Dualsense. And the premium that Sony get on it. I can see that for the PS5 Pro. Xbox is in a more confusing situation because they already have 2 SKU. High/Low is already a first in the console business. But a High/Mid/Low? when the Mid was touted as "the best console ever"? This will be fun to see from a PR perspective. I can see a Ultra as the future name to have a S/X/U but it will be weird no matter what they choose.
New consoles are always the best console ever. I don't see any problems there. I just think what'll happen is you'll get RT on the new hardware and it'll run the same as with it off on the old consoles. RT doesn't really add THAT much to the overall presentation, so I see a lot people being unimpressed with the new consoles. I suppose games with unlocked framerates will be nice, like in the case of Hogwarts. I just don't want to feel like I need to buy another $500 console so soon. Sucks.

bender

What time is it?
A boost to ray tracing performance seems like it might be a hard sell to the majority of your user base.

I do wonder how cumbersome PS4 Pro was for developers to take advantage of and what advancements have been made to ease that burden should the rumors be true. With so many games these days offering multiple performance profiles, a raw horsepower bump would be beneficial without having to go back and touch existing titles.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I just don't want to feel like I need to buy another $500 console so soon. Sucks.
This is also how I felt when the PS4 Pro was out. But outside of Death stranding making my PS4 scream in pain I did not feel that much need to upgrade. And the PS5 upgrade was even better by not having a Pro in comparison.

leizzra

I think that in order to make a noticeable difference (especially with devs not spending much time optimising for a Pro console) it would need way more than 2x performance of the base console now… more like 3-4x.
Well the raw power is not the approach of Sony rather MS. The thing is that we don't have still game engines that are made for current gen consoles with their strengths and weaknesses in mind. There is still place for improvement.

But your first statement is false and Sony even said so themselves that the PS4 Pro was designed because Sony had internal data that showed people started migrating towards the PC space about half way through the life of a console and they wanted to keep people in the Sony ecosystem.
Yes, I remember that they were trying to capture the enthusiasts (that's why I'm using the same word in my previous post - as a PC players reference) and that's what they said in some interviews. But how they wanted to do that? By giving advanced graphical settings? Additional features that the base model doesn't do? Their approach was based on resolution and fps. Base PS4 is recieving less features mostly now in cross gen titles.

It’s going to be a PS5 with hardware raytracing.

Then they can use that for advertising commercials, and with little letters “PS5 Pro Visuals”

Naughty Sony is BACK.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think this is stupid. Sony is dominating the market, why be the first to launch a pro refresh, only to be obliterated a year later. Let Microsoft move, then answer it properly. PS5 has a lot more to gain with a cheaper, slim SKU than with a pro model.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well the raw power is not the approach of Sony rather MS. The thing is that we don't have still game engines that are made for current gen consoles with their strengths and weaknesses in mind. There is still place for improvement.
Then… well, Pro consoles make even less sense. Raw power was actually a good bet for One X vs PS4 Pro, not sure how many devs actually took advantage of its new HW features…

Banned

normal graphics improvements shouldn't be the focus

guaranteed 60fps+ should be the target IMO, for both companies.
they should maybe enact a general rule for developers similar to PSVR, where anything below 60fps will not get certification.
Not even a 30fps mode being allowed on the system. every game you play will either be 60fps, 120fps or an unlocked 60fps+ framerate for VRR users

of course they would need to provide adequate hardware to ensure that this isn't a burden on developers.
so 2x or more GPU power and an increase in CPU and Memory speeds.

this could be an easy and straightforward thing to advertise for the people that are in the market for a pro model console.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
normal graphics improvements shouldn't be the focus

guaranteed 60fps+ should be the target IMO, for both companies.
they should maybe enact a general rule for developers similar to PSVR, where anything below 60fps will not get certification.
Not even a 30fps mode being allowed on the system. every game you play will either be 60fps, 120fps or an unlocked 60fps+ framerate for VRR users

of course they would need to provide adequate hardware to ensure that this isn't a burden on developers.
so 2x or more GPU power and an increase in CPU and Memory speeds.

this could be an easy and straightforward thing to advertise for the people that are in the market for a pro model console.
Maybe they'll make it available like PSVR2 without a retail presence.

Top Bottom