• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN writer plagiarizes Dead Cells review - IGN issues impassioned statement on journalistic ethics

Cato

Banned
Hopefully Filip will learn from this and will be able to land on his feet again.

Why didn't he learn the first time? He has learning disability problems?

Anyway, as Schreiers and others investigations show this type of plagiarism seems to have been a repeating pattern for this guy. Over and over.
At this point his career is permanently destroyed. No one will touch him, hire him or have anything to do with him in any game related capacity.

Loading wood chip onto customers pickups at Home Depot is probably the best he can aim for for the rest of his life.

mango drank

Did he not actually script the video? “I was the editorial lead so, if anything, that makes it my responsibility.” Was someone working under him? Or is this a novel way of passing the buck to people who don’t exist?

Holy hell. What if Miucin had secretly been sub-contracting his review writeups + video scripts to some poor schlub on Upwork (or whatever other freelance marketplace service), and told the contracted freelance writer never to mention any of this or put the writing in his portfolio, as part of a deal they worked out. And the poor third-world freelancer just shrugged, found random reviews online, massaged them a little, and turned them in to Miucin. Miucin--who, it's very clear by now, is some combination of talentless, irresponsible, stupid, and lazy--repeatedly failed to check the freelancer's work, and passed it off as his own. Now, Miucin is suddenly caught, branded a plagiarist, and issues an insincere apology through gritted teeth, because he knows he's technically not a plagiarist, he's just a dumbass. But he can't reveal what actually went down behind the scenes, because that's probably even worse than what he's being accused of.

Probably a long shot, but hilarious if there's any truth to it.

Cato

Banned
Holy hell. What if Miucin had secretly been sub-contracting his review writeups + video scripts to some poor schlub on Upwork (or whatever other freelance marketplace service), and told the contracted freelance writer never to mention any of this or put the writing in his portfolio, as part of a deal they worked out. And the poor third-world freelancer just shrugged, found random reviews online, massaged them a little, and turned them in to Miucin. Miucin--who, it's very clear by now, is some combination of talentless, irresponsible, stupid, and lazy--repeatedly failed to check the freelancer's work, and passed it off as his own. Now, Miucin is suddenly caught, branded a plagiarist, and issues an insincere apology through gritted teeth, because he knows he's technically not a plagiarist, he's just a dumbass. But he can't reveal what actually went down behind the scenes, because that's probably even worse than what he's being accused of.

Probably a long shot, but hilarious if there's any truth to it.

How did they fake his voice? Those fiverr sites are that good nowadays they will impersonate your voice perfectly in a recording?

Pwlt

Neo Member
He is a serial plagiarist who got caught and doesn't even care enough to apologize properly. He clearly plagiarized reviews before, as Kotaku has shown.

Hopefully Filip will learn from this and will be able to land on his feet again.
He’ll be delivering food at this rate. Though that may be lucrative if he has an e-bike or Prius.
Falsehood? I was talking about NoClip. I had no clue he had a podcast. I think that strengthens my point.
i think we need to highlight this as this is actually a very, very good point.

Most people don’t know the extent of every single persons work. Nor do we owe it to any community to do so. If something is brought to out attention only then will it morph our opinions further.

I think we as people abuse social media and let it rule the animalistic parts of our brains instead of the human reasoning aspect.

Last edited:

Petrae

Being fired for gross misconduct is something that stays with you throughout your working life. Wherever he goes professionally after this debacle, it’s going to haunt him.

He can’t stay in the video game biz, because his name is tainted. Even sticking with his own YouTube channel will carry constant reminders of his transgressions.

For him to “land on his feet” at this point, he needs some good fortune and someone to be willing to look past his soiled reputation. That’s a mighty tall order.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
How did they fake his voice? Those fiverr sites are that good nowadays they will impersonate your voice perfectly in a recording?
He's suggesting that the written portion of the review was outsourced, his video review would still be him, just reading off the review.

Last edited:

ILLtown

He forgot the actual apology part in his "apology" video. No wonder he took it down.

To me it was worse than the act of plagiarism itself. He deserved to be fired regardless, but taking ownership and responsibility for stupid decisions is something that makes me regain some respect for a person. When all they do is play the "woe is me, I did nothing wrong!" card though, it pisses me off.

Last edited:

Harlock

I like Danny. I also like Austin W, Patrick K, and Jason S.

They all produce amazing content.

Danny so far has kept his political leanings outside of his content from what I've seen. The others? Not so much.

Go listen the Retronauts episode about Bioshock. Is amazing. One of best quotes is "Infinite are full of the centrism that are tearing our country apart".

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Go listen the Retronauts episode about Bioshock. Is amazing. One of best quotes is "Infinite are full of the centrism that are tearing our country apart".
Centrism?

I think it's good to look at both sides and appreciate and try to understand what they're saying and why they're saying it.

I also at the same time think the extreme on both are idiots.

Last edited:

Harlock

Velius

Banned
Something seems to be missing.

Obviously the review ripped off another, lesser known reviewer. But the whole thing strikes me as just... weird.

This isn't the Olson Twins' shopping game. This is an exceptionally good piece of software. It would be easy, easy to play it, have a blast and you'd have no shortage of things to say about it. I just don't understand it. Why plagiarize a review for this game, of all things? You plagiarize when you can't think of what to say and you're pressed for time. You could sit with a drink and talk for hours about this game.

Nor does it seem that he looked at the Boombstick review and said "Oh yeah I gotta nab that." There's nothing that strikes me as particularly great writing, nothing to envy.

Anyone else know what I mean? So strange.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Something seems to be missing.

Obviously the review ripped off another, lesser known reviewer. But the whole thing strikes me as just... weird.

This isn't the Olson Twins' shopping game. This is an exceptionally good piece of software. It would be easy, easy to play it, have a blast and you'd have no shortage of things to say about it. I just don't understand it. Why plagiarize a review for this game, of all things? You plagiarize when you can't think of what to say and you're pressed for time. You could sit with a drink and talk for hours about this game.

Nor does it seem that he looked at the Boombstick review and said "Oh yeah I gotta nab that." There's nothing that strikes me as particularly great writing, nothing to envy.

Anyone else know what I mean? So strange.
Maybe brohmbel could be on to something with his theory that Filip always hiring a ghost writer but it backfired this time.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Continue to be baffled by the utter vindictiveness and bloodthirsty nature on social media today. Instead of getting the social media equivalent of "Dude, you fucked up, get lost" he gets a social media stoning to death. I think it was Jim Norton who said there's just a lot of angry people out there and this is the avenue they chose to funnel all their built up anger into. And it all explodes on random select targets, and they don't do it for justice, they do it because causing someone pain makes them feel good.

iconmaster

Banned
I just don't understand it. Why plagiarize a review for this game, of all things? You plagiarize when you can't think of what to say and you're pressed for time.

I’m guessing at some point in the past that’s what happened — Filip, out of time, resorts to lifting someone else’s writeup. He doesn’t get caught. In fact, he’s praised for his “work.” Review time rolls around again and he remembers how easy it was. A habit forms. Eventually he’s barely playing games at all.

Just speculation, but it’s one way it could have gone.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Showed this to a ex-Lecturer friend of mine from a large university.

She says there are online and offline tools which you can feed bodies of text into, and it'll give you a % chance that the two works are related via plagiarism. These tools are so accurate that they had become mandatory for those in charge of marking. Maybe IGN needs to start making a similar tool part of their review process.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Showed this to a ex-Lecturer friend of mine from a large university.

She says there are online and offline tools which you can feed bodies of text into, and it'll give you a % chance that the two works are related via plagiarism. These tools are so accurate that they had become mandatory for those in charge of marking. Maybe IGN needs to start making a similar tool part of their review process.
He plagiarised a Youtube video, so I don’t think that’d help here.

eso76

Did he not actually script the video? “I was the editorial lead so, if anything, that makes it my responsibility.” Was someone working under him? Or is this a novel way of passing the buck to people who don’t exist?

That's the impression i got; sounds like he didn't write the script himself.

iconmaster

Banned
I still have a lot of fond memories of IGN from the days when they were N64.com, then IGN64.com. I remember Peer Schneider and Matt Cassamassina. Good times.

I can't hate on IGN.

Oh, yeah. Totally. The plagiarised work would have to be text published on the Internet for the tools to work.
If Google opened up its auto-subtitle feature, you could pull decent transcripts from any video and compare that way.

It'd actually be a great way to crack down on internet plagiarism.

ROMhack

Pretty interesting stuff. Personally I don't care for reviews so I love seeing somebody come in and undermine them like this.

To me they rarely feel sincere so something like this doesn't as much stand against the tide as much as reflect what colour the water is.

I still have a lot of fond memories of IGN from the days when they were N64.com, then IGN64.com. I remember Peer Schneider and Matt Cassamassina. Good times.

I can't hate on IGN.
Yep. Unfortunately when they moved on, I did as well, and never really made it back to see if it's still relevant. I will say it's great to find a reviewer whose taste jives with your own, because it makes finding subjectively good* games a trivial task.

* This isn't to imply anything regarding a game's objective quality.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Doubtful.

Honestly, who really gives a fuck?

So he's a sloppy plagiarist, big woop. Its not like he's passing off the writings of Shakespeare as his own work. Its a review, an opinion plus a whole bunch of boiler-plate description about another existing work.

The point for me is not to give this guy a pass, just to try and put this into some sort of perspective. Seeing people use this schlub as the hate-object du jour* says more to me about how the internet is increasingly used as a conduit for petty vindictiveness and judgementalism, than about the state of "games journalism".

*I'm speaking generally, not about this thread.

I don't watch video reviews, so this really has no relevance to me. That said, I think it's perfectly legitimate to judge someone when they show a complete lack of integrity. Holding a plagiarist to the fire seems legitimate to me whether it's a novel or a silly little review. That said, we live in the day where 9 out of 10 mobile games are carbon copies, sometimes overshadowing the initial release, and nobody seems to give a damn.

Bryank75

Banned

Colin’s video on the incident and aftermath, Boomstick is the first comment.
Absolutely brilliant as usual from Colin.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That said, I think it's perfectly legitimate to judge someone when they show a complete lack of integrity. Holding a plagiarist to the fire seems legitimate to me whether it's a novel or a silly little review. That said, we live in the day where 9 out of 10 mobile games are carbon copies, sometimes overshadowing the initial release, and nobody seems to give a damn.

As I wrote, this is less to me about this guy's conduct, than the exaggerated faux-horror from elsewhere in relation to it. The fraudulence of the whole thing is best illustrated by Schrier's Tweet where he basically tries to stomp a mudhole on an already downed opponent (although as the ire is coming from one direction only, victim is more accurate) by serving up further examples of the guy's plagiarism.

From that what we get is basically a couple of examples of basic descriptive text, most likely reworded from the same press-release/fact-sheet about the game in question. Its boiler-plate stuff with no real opinion involved. It could be recited rote in any and every review and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference because it's just outlining the subject, its not opinion or critique.

What's particularly gross about what Schrier did is to disingenuously "prove" that Miucin plagiarized another critic's work, when its just as likely that they both were cribbed/reworded from the same officially-supplied source.

Either way though, check out the "evidence" in Schrier's tweet and seriously consider what's written to be worth getting anyone's jimmies rustled over.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, Marty Sliva left IGN without explanation in the same time frame as her. They were very close with eachother, as in friends. Most of the IGN staff, including her, removed him from their social media.

So in the absence of an explanation, people are speculating that something happened between these two people that got Marty Sliva fired.

That’s what I have ascertained.

She denies that she had anything to do with Marty Silva leaving here...
[–]rambonz 5 points 20 days ago
It's pretty obvious that Alanah has been one of the more vocal proponents of a social justice agenda within the company. There was a podcast where she was explaining one of the session with HR and, if you look at it objectively, it's clear she was still pumped from the taste of power that gave her (she was literally gloating about getting everyone to shoutdown IGN's HR team in a meeting where they were trying to come up with a solution).
While purely speculation, it's most likely that marty either said or did something that rubbed her the wrong way and, she filed a complaint with the company. It's unlikely that it was of a nature which IGN were willing to publicly take a side (as they have a legal obligation to act in good faith towards Marty as well) so, Alanah decides to leave the company and Marty is repremanded (and maybe chooses to leave).
Seeing the potential for the story to spiral out of control, friends and collegues just choose sides and defriend or cut contact with the person likely to be lynched if/when the story goes public. If we think about it logically, the only reason for silence is that people are trying to err on the side of caution because whatever transpired isn't cut and dry (victim/culprit). Marty may have done something which he believe to be innocuous but was interpreted differently by Alanah.
Either way, it's unlikely this stays underwraps forever so time will tell.

[–]charalanahzardAlanah 57 points 20 days ago
I've said this on this very Reddit before, but this is absolutely, 100% false.

[–]OneThousandNeedlesX 10 points 20 days ago
I believe you that this specific scenario is not accurate and that guy should not be making irresponsible accusations with no evidence like that. But obviously SOMETHING happened.

[–]charalanahzardAlanah 41 points 20 days ago
I never said ‘nothing happened’. I have repeatedly said I didn’t leave IGN because of anything to do with Marty, and I certainly didn’t report him to HR.

iconmaster

Banned

Colin’s video on the incident and aftermath, Boomstick is the first comment.
Absolutely brilliant as usual from Colin.

Great point from Colin: Miucin didn't plagiarize facts or research; he plagiarized feelings. You can't explain how you feel about something?

Porcile

Continue to be baffled by the utter vindictiveness and bloodthirsty nature on social media today. Instead of getting the social media equivalent of "Dude, you fucked up, get lost" he gets a social media stoning to death. I think it was Jim Norton who said there's just a lot of angry people out there and this is the avenue they chose to funnel all their built up anger into. And it all explodes on random select targets, and they don't do it for justice, they do it because causing someone pain makes them feel good.

To be fair, Filip leveraged social media for his own personal gain and advancement of his career. Of course some people are out for blood for no reason, but there are people who he has genuinely hurt and his video apology (posted on a social media platform and monetised, by the way) was a complete embarrassment.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
She denies that she had anything to do with Marty Silva leaving here...
Yeah, I know. I’ve seen those Reddit replies before. Many people still find it strange to marry the two ideas of them leaving IGN and everyone deleting him from social media as not related.

I don’t really care about the subject. I just got curious a while ago when another GAF poster mentioned this situation and I had no idea about it. Thought it was strange Sliva would leave IGN, so I did some Googling and found the same Reddit thread.

EDIT: Leaving “here”, you say? Hi IGN staffer! :pie_grinning_big_eyes: /jk

Last edited:

Iaterain

My hate to IGN never been higher!
I hate this channel and people who work there! Filip Miucin shouldn't be fired!

Calling themselves "journalists", IGN is offending thousands of people who is risking their life in WAR, who is investigating CORRUPTION, POVERTY, VIOLENCE, HUMAN TRAFFIC and DRUG CARTELS. I know so many journalists, brave and full of life, who were killed because of being a professional journalist in 2017. The list is keep growing every day.

What IGN is doing? They are just reviewing digital toys! It isn't "journalism", it is ADVERTISMENT.

IGN is a corrupted channel who takes money to promote and advertise gambling games that designed to lure kids and underage to spend their parent's money.

They are promoting games with microtransactions that is more like a trap for depressive, addictive and vulnerable people. Those games are tricking them to spend their last money to buy a digital furniture and guns.

And these hypocritical people who work in IGN has thrown this young person Filip Miucin under the bus, killed his career, reputation and chances to find a good job only because they wanted to act like a professional journalists which they are not!

They should apologies to a channel from where they have stolen the content and Filip Miucin should be given the second chance to rewrite his stupid review. Nobody should be hurt!

Plagiarism in youtube is absolutely normal, everyone in youtube are stealing content from each other!

autoduelist

As I wrote, this is less to me about this guy's conduct, than the exaggerated faux-horror from elsewhere in relation to it. The fraudulence of the whole thing is best illustrated by Schrier's Tweet where he basically tries to stomp a mudhole on an already downed opponent (although as the ire is coming from one direction only, victim is more accurate) by serving up further examples of the guy's plagiarism.

From that what we get is basically a couple of examples of basic descriptive text, most likely reworded from the same press-release/fact-sheet about the game in question. Its boiler-plate stuff with no real opinion involved. It could be recited rote in any and every review and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference because it's just outlining the subject, its not opinion or critique.

What's particularly gross about what Schrier did is to disingenuously "prove" that Miucin plagiarized another critic's work, when its just as likely that they both were cribbed/reworded from the same officially-supplied source.

Either way though, check out the "evidence" in Schrier's tweet and seriously consider what's written to be worth getting anyone's jimmies rustled over.

We can agree to disagree, then. I haven't really seen any outrage, although all I've read on the subject is this thread. I think plagiarism is for serious, and don't write it off as easily as you do. I watched the posted comparison vid, and while I agree there's a problem with news outlets in general regurgitating press releases, here it seems more like he cribbed the general structure and outline of someone else's review. My Jimmie's are not particularly rustled, but straight up plagiarism like that deserves loss of employment. If that position is outrage to you then so be it. He was hired to review and present his opinion. If he cannot do that he should not be employed and someone more fitting should replace him.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned

Calling themselves "journalists", IGN is offending thousands of people who is risking their life in WAR, who is investigating CORRUPTION, POVERTY, VIOLENCE, HUMAN TRAFFIC and DRUG CARTELS. I know so many journalists, brave and full of life, who were killed because of being a professional journalist in 2017. The list is keep growing every day.

What IGN is doing? They are just reviewing digital toys! It isn't "journalism", it is ADVERTISMENT.

IGN is a corrupted channel who takes money to promote and advertise gambling games that designed to lure kids and underage to spend their parent's money.

They are promoting games with microtransactions that is more like a trap for depressive, addictive and vulnerable people. Those games are tricking them to spend their last money to buy a digital furniture and guns.

And these hypocritical people who work in IGN has thrown this young person Filip Miucin under the bus, killed his career, reputation and chances to find a good job only because they wanted to act like a professional journalists which they are not!

They should apologies to a channel from where they have stolen the content and Filip Miucin should be given the second chance to rewrite his stupid review. Nobody should be hurt!

Plagiarism in youtube is absolutely normal, everyone in youtube are stealing content from each other!

If we all go and rob a bank will that make it normal and ok? Cos' I could do with the cash..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
We can agree to disagree, then.

Indeed we can, although honestly I think its mainly a matter of where each of us draws the line on what is egregious plagiarism.

I do have to stress the point about press-releases/product descriptive marketing though. I've written a few of them in my time and Schrier's examples looked eerily similar to that sort of copy. Obviously, not being directly involved I can't say for certain, but there was nothing in there that was analytic or critical, it may as well have been just stock marketing bumf.

Quite honestly, how much of gaming "news" is more than the writer/site repacking press releases/official announcements anyway?

Last edited:

autoduelist

Indeed we can, although honestly I think its mainly a matter of where each of us draws the line on what is egregious plagiarism.

I do have to stress the point about press-releases/product descriptive marketing though. I've written a few of them in my time and Schrier's examples looked eerily similar to that sort of copy. Obviously, not being directly involved I can't say for certain, but there was nothing in there that was analytic or critical, it may as well have been just stock marketing bumf.

Quite honestly, how much of gaming "news" is more than the writer/site repacking press releases/official announcements anyway?

Oh you’re absolutely right, tons of Gaming press is simply regurgitated Press releases. Especially general news and upcoming game previews. But this was a review, The one time I expect original content consisting of reviewer‘s experiences and opinions. There is no reason to crib from prs during a review beyond perhaps the general Game description. His review was Plagiarized. Game over.

Vawn

Banned

Please tell me I'm missing the joke. You're not serious, right?

Top Bottom