• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN writer plagiarizes Dead Cells review - IGN issues impassioned statement on journalistic ethics

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The reactions to Colin Moriarty inviting him to chat are ridiculous. Other game journalists have really decided he is persona non grata in the industry
Yeah, how dare he do his due diligence and attempt to get answers.

Last edited:

Harlock

Yeah, how dare he do his due diligence and attempt to get answers.

Danny O´Dwyer is of people who most fast sank in my estimation. What you get with posting this? You are a journalist, Colin is doing the same thing trying to interview the guy. Worse, you worked at Kinda Funny Games too. Try to be more professional.

3Sf8eDO.jpg

Having read the FIFA review, I'd say that was plagirised too. It's a really poor attempt as well. He doesn't cover his tracks and basically falls into the trap of taking the basic structure of the review, copying it verbatim, and within that, just rewriting the original within that framework. So, you get him addressing point after point in the exact same order as the Nintendo Life review; it's not a good look at all. I suspect he wasn't a great writer and addressed this weakness by using other people's work to build his own review templates.

I don't think this dude is ready to really own his mistakes just yet. Therefore, he should avoid talking to anybody for a long while yet. Otherwise, he'll just talk himself into more trouble.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Danny O´Dwyer is of people who most fast sank in my estimation. What you get with posting this? You are a journalist, Colin is doing the same thing trying to interview the guy. Worse, you worked at Kinda Funny Games too. Try to be more professional.

3Sf8eDO.jpg
O’Dwyer has turned into a raging SJW in record time. He’s insufferable now. I dropped all content featuring him. I can’t stand him.

Fbh

Kotaku Writer = attention seeker
I know lots of people on this site hate Kotaku, but seriously ? That's your takeaway from this thread?.

A IGN reviewer is caught plagiarising another review, gets fired and releases a half assed non-apology ...... And your first reaction is "those damned guys at Kotaku!!!!!"?

Last edited:

Montblanc

You know, I'm shocked that such a thought even crossed his mind. Does he know how many talented people out there want to work for IGN and prove themselves yet they will never get a chance (for a variety of reasons)? Unbelievable.

woigemok

Banned
I know lots of people on this site hate Kotaku, but seriously ? That your takeaway from this thread?.

A IGN reviewer is caught plagiarising another review, gets fired and releases a half assed non-apology ...... And your first reaction is "those damned guys at Kotaku!!!!!"?
Watch the video, the Kotaku journalist is a certified attention seeker with his SJW agenda

Vawn

Banned
Wow. Colin gets so much undeserved shit because he dares not be a part of SJW outrage hate culture.

decisions

This guy's apology video was terrible. I mean if he truly does mean well then he has no idea how to communicate that. That said I hope he accepted Moriarty's offer, that would be an absolutely fascinating listen. Nothing but respect for Colin.

Petrae

Yep, okay when he does it though...

Dude is a serial plagiarist. He can’t write his own stuff, so he repurposes the work of others to make it look like he can. I’m not a fan of Schreier’s either, but attacking him instead of taking the L just throws gas canisters onto smoldering embers.

Not smart.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude is a serial plagiarist. He can’t write his own stuff, so he repurposes the work of others to make it look like he can. I’m not a fan of Schreier’s either, but attacking him instead of taking the L just throws gas canisters onto smoldering embers.

Not smart.

Oh I agree, I just find it funny how Colin is getting raked over the coals for wanting to interview/talk about him, yet not Jason or Kinda Funny for asking for the same opportunities.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Oh I agree, I just find it funny how Colin is getting raked over the coals for wanting to interview/talk about him, yet not Jason or Kinda Funny for asking for the same opportunities.

Because Jason is doing what people like - kicking someone when they're down and piling on.

Colin, while saying he 100% believes the guy plagiarized, is taking the tactic that there are two sides to every story, and the video Miucin released just added more questions than answers, and would give him a fair opportunity to answer those questions.

There is a huge segment of people who absolutely crave seeing people's lives implode, especially from their own mistakes. If someone is reluctant to pile on, they in turn lump those people in with the original guilty party.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Life hack: don’t ask Jason Schreier to research your past misdeeds.

Seems this is as least the third time he’s plagiarized another’s game review.

Last edited:

Petrae

Because Jason is doing what people like - kicking someone when they're down and piling on.

Colin, while saying he 100% believes the guy plagiarized, is taking the tactic that there are two sides to every story, and the video Miucin released just added more questions than answers, and would give him a fair opportunity to answer those questions.

There is a huge segment of people who absolutely crave seeing people's lives implode, especially from their own mistakes. If someone is reluctant to pile on, they in turn lump those people in with the original guilty party.

Plagiarizer Guy keeps asking for it by challenging Schreier instead of keeping his fucking mouth shut. Had he just let this shit blow over— which it usually does— or publish a sincere apology instead of the Emmy-winning theatrics and insincerity he went with, maybe the book gets closed faster.

I was done with this when IGN fired him. There was nothing more to talk about. He got what he deserved. Then he pries open Pandora’s Box with his “apology” video, and defiantly calls out one of his critics. That invites the “pile on” to continue.

Maybe Colin gets a confession out of him with a more even-handed approach. It could be a fascinating interview, if it happens, but it’s far to late for any kind of redemption and Colin hopefully won’t use him as a pawn in the Gaming Press Wars.

WaterAstro

People are sending threats to his family over a videogame review? Crazy.

The dude got fired and has to try and rebuild his reputation. That should be enough.
People send death threats for any reason. The way to deal with death threats is to not acknowledge them. Just tell the police if you have evidence, like tweets or whatever, then get protected behind the scenes.

When the target acknowledges them and that it's an effective scare tactic against the target, those trolls will know it works, and other people who see that and hates the target will join in knowing it works.

Silvawuff

I'm not a fan of Jason's writing or his agenda within the industry, but wow, that was pretty good.

I really hope this whole shitshow continues to give Dead Cells more attention -- it's a good game and Motion Twin deserve all the promotion they can get.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

3Sf8eDO.jpg
I love Danny's work, but his overall attitude on social media is disappointing.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
God damn this guys plagiarism is hilarious. If you spend the time to reword sentences like that, why not just write your own? He’s probably been doing that shit since high school and doesn’t know how to make an original thought

muckymucks

Neo Member
God damn this guys plagiarism is hilarious. If you spend the time to reword sentences like that, why not just write your own? He’s probably been doing that shit since high school and doesn’t know how to make an original thought

Not even Miucin's "response" was original. He stole it from here:

The mock apology even begins with a deep sigh, just like Miucin's.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
This has grown to some serious deep FUBAR-status for Miucin. The Dead Cells-review was bad enough, caught with your hand in the cookie jar like that, but Fifa 18 and Samus Returns? He can never review again, not write a single word, without being heavily scrutinized and he will be permanently looked down upon by the entire industry for all of eternity. Why trash your career like that?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Maybe these gaming websites might finally realise that being able to pump out 5 Youtube videos a week is not the be all and end all when it comes to hiring a gaming personality in 2018. Maybe they can start looking at intelligence, experience and writing skills again, like the ol’ days?

I won’t hold my breath.

ickythingz

Banned
We aren't slipping, it's just no one intelligent reads IGN. If you still go to that corrupt site in this day age for news, you need to rethink your existence.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We aren't slipping, it's just no one intelligent reads IGN. If you still go to that corrupt site in this day age for news, you need to rethink your existence.

A little harsh, lol, but yeah it's pretty much a marketing PR extension at this point with people hoping nepotism will pay off leaping them into the game development industry.

Which reminds me, the most recent girl that left IGN, why was she so (self?) important where she has her own YouTube channel and some strange social media support/videos as to why she left?

I never looked into it, but I also have not heard/seen any outrage or scandal to warrant those types of clickbait videos and strange "yass queen" rallying behind her.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
A little harsh, lol, but yeah it's pretty much a marketing PR extension at this point with people hoping nepotism will pay off leaping them into the game development industry.

Which reminds me, the most recent girl that left IGN, why was she so (self?) important where she has her own YouTube channel and some strange social media support/videos as to why she left?

I never looked into it, but I also have not heard/seen any outrage or scandal to warrant those types of clickbait videos and strange "yass queen" rallying behind her.
From what I can tell, Marty Sliva left IGN without explanation in the same time frame as her. They were very close with eachother, as in friends. Most of the IGN staff, including her, removed him from their social media.

So in the absence of an explanation, people are speculating that something happened between these two people that got Marty Sliva fired.

That’s what I have ascertained.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From what I can tell, Marty Sliva left IGN without explanation in the same time frame as her. They were very close with eachother, as in friends. Most of the IGN staff, including her, removed him from their social media.

So in the absence of an explanation, people are speculating that something happened between these two people that got Marty Sliva fired.

That’s what I have ascertained.

I only ask that because I kept seeing it (her "Why I Left IGN") pop up on my Android TV as a recommended video, yet I heard no scandal like the IdPol gaming world is so quick to jump on.

Then I seen a plethora of opportunity suddenly open up for her right away in the game industry and it almost seemed a little convenient. Looking at it from the outside without knowing the story due to the timeline and not hearing any juicy scandal.

Last edited:
Man this smuck won’t even be able to work in the small ass downtown San Francisco GameStop at this point.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Alright. Just a tad dramatic there.
lol so true

People get so serious about this stuff, it makes no sense

And have we reached the point of craziness yet where we can identify as other people, maybe that guy does that!

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, who really gives a fuck?

So he's a sloppy plagiarist, big woop. Its not like he's passing off the writings of Shakespeare as his own work. Its a review, an opinion plus a whole bunch of boiler-plate description about another existing work.

The point for me is not to give this guy a pass, just to try and put this into some sort of perspective. Seeing people use this schlub as the hate-object du jour* says more to me about how the internet is increasingly used as a conduit for petty vindictiveness and judgementalism, than about the state of "games journalism".

*I'm speaking generally, not about this thread.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Honestly, who really gives a fuck?

So he's a sloppy plagiarist, big woop. Its not like he's passing off the writings of Shakespeare as his own work. Its a review, an opinion plus a whole bunch of boiler-plate description about another existing work.

The point for me is not to give this guy a pass, just to try and put this into some sort of perspective. Seeing people use this schlub as the hate-object du jour* says more to me about how the internet is increasingly used as a conduit for petty vindictiveness and judgementalism, than about the state of "games journalism".

*I'm speaking generally, not about this thread.

You actually make some pretty good points in here that I can go in agree with.

YayNJ

Banned
The gaming industry leaves me lost for words sometimes it really does. A whole industry built on creativity and fun.. yet filled with so much bile and toxicity.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The gaming industry leaves me lost for words sometimes it really does. A whole industry built on creativity and fun.. yet filled with so much bile and toxicity.
I went to school for journalism, but by the time I got my degree I was so disgusted and disenchanted with the games media that I didn't even bother to pursue a career in the field. It's become such a shitty industry, and the piling on Colin despite others also trying to get Filip on their podcasts and not receiving any crap just further showcases how garbage it's become.

There's no integrity and it all seems to be about shoving politics and views down your audiences throat.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Plagiarism is shitty, but the way Colin was attacked for asking to interview him, you'd think he asked to interview Kim Jong Un. The world has flat out gone crazy, man. The guy stole someone's work, he's not a serial murderer. Danny O'Dwyer is a an immature child, and he's petty. Grow up, dude.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I love Danny's work, but his overall attitude on social media is disappointing.
I like Danny. I also like Austin W, Patrick K, and Jason S.

They all produce amazing content.

Danny so far has kept his political leanings outside of his content from what I've seen. The others? Not so much.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Danny so far has kept his political leanings outside of his content from what I've seen. The others? Not so much.
That’s a complete falsehood about Danny O’Dwyer. His podcasts are full of his shitty SJW opinions.

I enjoy their work, too. I don't really read social media, and don't care if their political leanings spill out into their work all that much. It's all good.

As for Filip, all these people clamoring for an interview with the guy, they'll just use him, get their clicks and spit him back out. I don't think he stands to gain anything good out of it. An apology tour isn't necessary. His best bet is to just go away for a little bit and take the time to process what's happened. I tend to think, or maybe it's more that I hope, that's he's a good guy and he was just out of his depth. A decent YouTuber, but certainly not a particularly good writer, hence his dependency on using other people's reviews as templates for him to write his own. His career in the industry is pretty much over, but if he can go back to YouTube, then perhaps he'll have salvaged something out of this wreckage. A new outrage will spill out onto the streets of social media and the mob will move on.

Top Bottom