• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN we played Suicide Squad and didn't like it

FunkMiller

A 7/10 perfectly fine game is not a disaster.

Imagine if you were expected to go above and beyond every single thing you ever did in your life ever and the second you don't do as well you get obliterated by everyone

People should actually... you know... play the game and decide first.

You being deliberately dense, or what?

It's a GaaS.

GaaS games, for myself, and I'd guess a majority of people on this forum, are a fucking cancer. Nobody needs to play another GaaS to know that GaaS games are fucking awful.

Ergo, a GaaS game from Rocksteady, instead of another curated single player experience, is a disaster.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Let's be honest though, in today's market, with so many available options, 'average' just isn't going to cut it, certainly not for a product that is built around long-time engagement. (e.g. every other failed GaaS attempt to date).

Besides, this is the internet, where everything gets blown out of proportions anyway. Anything from a 6.5 to an 8.5 out of 10 might as well be written off as trash to the general public, which is why I stopped caring that much about review scores a long time ago.

Let the chips fall as they may. If it's a great game, opinions will change. If it isn't, maybe they can fix it and change people's minds over time.

For now though, it doesn't look good for Rocksteady, which is a shame because I love that studio and I want them to stick around.
im not saying it's a great game or the best game though and i don't think everyone should rush out and buy it.

just some of the takes in this thread baffle me when we had literal games that didn't work release the past 3-5 years that get praised to high heaven and back on this forum. (and that's not even going back as far as say No Mans Sky or Sea of thieves abysmal launches)

You being deliberately dense, or what?

It's a GaaS.

GaaS games, for myself, and I'd guess a majority of people on this forum, are a fucking cancer. Nobody needs to play another GaaS to know that GaaS games are fucking awful.

Ergo, a GaaS game from Rocksteady, instead of another curated single player experience, is a disaster.
So a game is terrible because you don't enjoy the type of game it is?

i am not a huge fan of Driving sims therefore they are shit correct?

Last edited:

MikeM

Hahaha die GAAS. Hopefully more follow suit and execs stop forcing devs to develop terrible games that make no one happy.

FunkMiller

So a game is terrible because you don't enjoy the type of game it is?

i am not a huge fan of Driving sims therefore they are shit correct?

Objectively, for most, GaaS games are terrible, yes. This forum is evidence of that.

If you're not one of those people, then good for you... But I'm afraid your opinion holds a lot less worth because you like them. For me anyway.

Nobody is 'mindlessly following an IGN article', pretty much everyone saw the initial gameplay demo and thought 'this looks like shit'.

Doesn't get much more complex than that. You only get one first impression, and when you blow that, it's pretty much over.

If a game needs months of support to 'get the chance to be anything', then maybe it shouldn't exist in the first place.
Pretty much this.

Imagine if relationships start that way. " Yeah she's ugly and uncontrollable. But give it a few months and I will like her."
NO.

If it's in a broken state from the beginning, it clearly wasn't meant to be.

StueyDuck

Objectively, for most, GaaS games are terrible, yes. This forum is evidence of that.

If you're not one of those people, then good for you... But I'm afraid your opinion holds a lot less worth because you like them. For me anyway.
i don't personally like GaaS games, but i have the mental capacity to know the difference between a game that plays badly/runs badly vs a game that isn't for me.

i can see how others can enjoy Gran Turismo or Forza even if those games aren't for me personally.

again i've played the game, it controls well, it's a pretty smooth experience even on console, it had some interesting set pieces (at least in the section i played) decent production values and so on.

this isn't the same as a NMS or a Anthem where they delivered a game different than what they promised, from day 1 this was always going to be what SS:KTJL was going to be, this is how it's always been marketed

now if the developer had lied or there's some shady shit going on with MTXs then by all means rip on it. But calling a perfectly functioning game that runs well and controls well a big steaming pile of shit just makes me realize that there isn't much critical thinking going on and rather angry kids shouting at the vegetables on their plates that they don't want to eat before pudding

FunkMiller

now if the developer had lied or there's some shady shit going on with MTXs then by all means rip on it. But calling a perfectly functioning game that runs well and controls well a big steaming pile of shit just makes me realize that there isn't much critical thinking going on and rather angry kids shouting at the vegetables on their plates that they don't want to eat before pudding

Alternatively, you like GaaS games (which is entirely up to you) whereas many of us don't.

Instead of insulting other people for disliking things you do, just say you like a thing and stand by your opinion. No need to descend into childish name calling.

StueyDuck

Alternatively, you like GaaS games (which is entirely up to you) whereas many of us don't.

Instead of insulting other people for disliking things you do, just say you like a thing and stand by your opinion. No need to descend into childish name calling.
so you haven't actually read anything i've said?

yurinka

Gaas games die in 2024....
Nice joke. Some GaaS will be bad or will tank, just like happens in the non-GaaS.

GaaS will continue having the majority of players in 2024 as did in previous years.
GaaS will continue generating the majority of the game revenue in 2024 as did in previous years.
GaaS addons revenue will continue slowly replacing game sales revenue in 2024 as did in previous years.

They designed this when they thought Destiny was going to be the biggest game in the world.
Well, Destiny broke fastest selling new IP records in gaming history

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, Destiny broke fastest selling new IP records in gaming history
I see the logic in it. I just don't think they're making this type of game if they started it a couple years later.

As we learned more and more about GAAS, we saw that 3 - 4 player co-op games aren't really the big thing in Live Service.

Also, I don't think this game is necessarily dead on arrival. Destin Legarie is a bit of a clickbaiter.

FeralEcho

I've literally physically played the game.. its isn't a shit game. It's not even a bad game... its just at worst average.

All the cool kids who keep telling each other "it's trash, it's shit" etc need to not mindless follow mainstream media and their trash tier opinions.

You know they openly admit that they are all part of a group when it comes to reviews and previews. How can we take any preview/review serious when a bunch of San Fran numpties decide as a little club what all of gaming must believe.
An average game after 9 fucking years of development from a studio that gave us one of the greatest trilogies in gaming( 3 games in less time than the actual development of this game mind you 😂) is a downright fucking disaster no matter how many mental gymnastics you try to apply to it...

It looks like a boring soulless mess of ideas borrowed from games from genres that should have nothing to do with this studio, with the worst UI in the last 10 years,garbage mission design that makes Ubisoft's open world white bread design seem like a Hideo Kojima masterclas.So no, people shouldn't give this a pass on getting shat on.Customers should strive for better and after 9 years I expect more than a bland soulless fortnite clone who's only legacy in gaming will be that it buries Rocksteady.

StueyDuck

An average game after 9 fucking years of development from a studio that gave us one of the greatest trilogies in gaming( 3 games in less time than the actual development of this game mind you 😂) is a downright fucking disaster no matter how many mental gymnastics you try to apply to it...

It looks like a boring soulless mess of ideas borrowed from games from genres that should have nothing to do with this studio, with the worst UI in the last 10 years,garbage mission design that makes Ubisoft's open world white bread design seem like a Hideo Kojima masterclas.So no, people shouldn't give this a pass on getting shat on.Customers should strive for better and after 9 years I expect more than a bland soulless fortnite clone who's only legacy in gaming will be that it buries Rocksteady.
There is no mental gymnastics here. Gamers need to just stop being gamers and be a little level headed here.

In your brain are there only two options, grr hate bad kill grr and best game ever, must stand on a hill and throw down my life.

It's an average game, should it be better? Yes, but you could say that for literally any game. Is it however "a piece of shit" or a disaster is just a silly thing to say about the game. It hasn't released yet so we can't talk about sales. But judging it purely as a game, as in elements that makes a game an actual game, it is definitely not a disaster or shit...

It just isn't as good as people want it to be or the type of game and that's fine.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

There is no mental gymnastics here. Gamers need to just stop being gamers and be a little level headed here.

In your brain are there only two options, grr hate bad kill grr and best game ever, must stand on a hill and throw down my life.

It's an average game, should it be better? Yes, but you could say that for literally any game. Is it however "a piece of shit" or a disaster is just a silly thing to say about the game. It hasn't released yet so we can't talk about sales. But judging it purely as a game, as in elements that makes a game an actual game, it is definitely not a disaster or shit...

It just isn't as good as people want it to be or the type of game and that's fine.
Imagine if GTA 6 would turn out to be just....average.The internet would be fuming lol There are games and games,some are held at higher standards than others,some take a decade to develop,some take 3 or 5,if you take your favourite franchise of all time and the studio wastes 9 years not making a sequel but a lifeless soulless trendfollower that turns out just...average then you can be sure people won't sit quietly and take it.They'll make their issues known and won't just sideline it as just another average game since Rocksteady is not just another average developer. If You can't see a difference in that then I don't know what to tell you but you clearly aren't invested enough to care for the franchise or studio in the first place.

StueyDuck

Imagine if GTA 6 would turn out to be just....average.The internet would be fuming lol There are games and games,some are held at higher standards than others,some take a decade to develop,some take 3 or 5,if you take your favourite franchise of all time and the studio wastes 9 years not making a sequel but a lifeless soulless trendfollower that turns out just...average then you can be sure people won't sit quietly and take it.They'll make their issues known and won't just sideline it as just another average game since Rocksteady is not just another average developer. If You can't see a difference in that then I don't know what to tell you but you clearly aren't invested enough to care for the franchise or studio in the first place.
Eventually a Rockstar game isn't going to be good as the best one...

It's probably time to start preparing yourself now for that inevitability.

I still bet it would be a totally Fine and playable game and not "utter shit" and a disaster of a game.

Starfield on PC was a disaster...

Forspoken wasn't a great game but it definitely was at worst an ok game.

A bad game or a disaster of a game is one that doesn't work and/or has literally 0 redeeming qualities. I promise you SS has things that are worth talking about. One setpiece is really fun to experience involving batman. Captain boomerang has a skill level to his movement that makes it interesting.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Eventually a Rockstar game isn't going to be good as the best one...

It's probably time to start preparing yourself now for that inevitability.

I still bet it would be a totally Fine and playable game and not "utter shit" and a disaster of a game.

Starfield on PC was a disaster...

Forspoken wasn't a great game but it definitely was at worst an ok game.

A bad game or a disaster of a game is one that doesn't work and/or has literally 0 redeeming qualities. I promise you SS has things that are worth talking about. One setpiece is really fun to experience involving batman. Captain boomerang has a skill level to his movement that makes it interesting.
Ah yes...Nothing shows how uninspired the game is than Captain Boomerang who uses fucking guns like everyone because we need every character to play
James Franco GIF

Even though his whole shtick is that he uses the boomerang lmao...

I'm surprised Poison Ivy doesn't whip out some Ak's while she's at it.Not like character personalities and traits matter in this as evidenced by its main cast.

yurinka

I see the logic in it. I just don't think they're making this type of game if they started it a couple years later.

As we learned more and more about GAAS, we saw that 3 - 4 player co-op games aren't really the big thing in Live Service.

Also, I don't think this game is necessarily dead on arrival. Destin Legarie is a bit of a clickbaiter.
Are you sure? It isn't only Destiny, there's a lot of other very successful squad based/coop GaaS like Rainbow Six, Overwatch, Payday 2, Apex Legends, League of Legends, Valorant or even Fortnite, plus party based MMORPGs (I didn't play any of them, but I'd say WoW).

I assume that squad based/coop is more successful for GaaS because your friends add "pressure" to you to continue playing, so the user retention in squad based games I assume may be higher than in the ones where you play alone.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Ah yes...Nothing shows how uninspired the game is than Captain Boomerang who uses fucking guns like everyone because we need every character to play
James Franco GIF

Even though his whole shtick is that he uses the boomerang lmao...

I'm surprised Poison Ivy doesn't whip out some Ak's while she's at it.Not like character personalities and traits matter in this as evidenced by its main cast.
See you are just like all the others, you will hate the game no matter what it does well or doesn't.

Who cares that they use weapons. Is that what youtube told you to be angry about.

That's the issue with you and the others, there is literally nothing possible this game can do to win you over, you've decided you absolutely hate the game no matter what. You will find fault in absolutely everything they do. Pretending like all you want is another arkham game yet I bet historically you shat all over arkham knight too because that was a game that was cool to hate when it released also

Lokaum D+

I tell you what crazier is calling a game bad/terrible that one hasn't played. But that's the social media world we live in
well, i m starting to think you work at Rocksteady or at least do some work for them and your ass is in the line, i never saw you on Forspoken or Gollum threads defending those games but here u are defending a clearly bad designed game, i wonder why?

99% of ppl dont need to see The Marvels to know that is a bad movie, the same principle applies to games, u can see a mediocre game a mile distant.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

See you are just like all the others, you will hate the game no matter what it does well or doesn't.

Who cares that they use weapons. Is that what youtube told you to be angry about.

That's the issue with you and the others, there is literally nothing possible this game can do to win you over, you've decided you absolutely hate the game no matter what. You will find fault in absolutely everything they do. Pretending like all you want is another arkham game yet I bet historically you shat all over arkham knight too because that was a game that was cool to hate when it released also
You have no clue wtf you're talking about so stop projecting cuz you already look like a rocksteady employee deflecting any criticism aimed at the game.Why does Captain Boomerang use guns? Tell me that if you feel so strongly positive about the game!Why does a literal Man shark use guns and not his strength and huge gaping mouth like he does even in the damn movie that came out a couple years ago,even the movies got these characters right in their abilities.But ofc...the movies weren't trying to be fortnite....the only other game where you'd find batman and superman fighting eachother with guns as their main weapons....At least that game knows exactly what it is...

And not like I care what you think but for your information I bought Arkham Knight at launch and it's my favourite game in the series even though I understand the criticism around the tank overstaying its welcome,I don't give a fuck about opinions of others.Callisto Protocol which is constantly panned was one of my favourite games of last year but again I understand it had issues and I can understand the criticism around it even though I love the game. There's no one stopping you from loving this game but to me it seems you don't even accept criticism about the game,you just want everyone to turn their brains off and enjoy whatever senseless shit this thing throws at you with no criticism all while projecting that everyone hates the game because of what others say about it.People hate the game because of how it looked from the first showing,it looked like shit then,it looks like shit now.Nothing changed.Its still a soulless and a Fortnite wannabe from a developer who was a trendsetter that now WB turned into a trendchaser...

well, i m starting to think you work at Rocksteady or at least do some work for them and your ass is in the line, i never saw you on Forspoken or Gollum threads defending those games but here u are defending a clearly bad designed game, i wonder why?

99% of ppl dont need to see The Marvels to know that is a bad movie, the same principle applies to games, u can see a mediocre game a mile distant.
I've never played either and so don't pass comment. I don't go on what YouTube or X tells me to think. I much rather watch the movie or play the game myself and then pass judgment. Going off the 'demo' the game is not worse or better than the usual GaaS game.
But yes like with COD, like with EA its cool to hate on CaaS

BTW, I work for the civil service.

StueyDuck

You have no clue wtf you're talking about so stop projecting cuz you already look like a rocksteady employee deflecting any criticism aimed at the game.Why does Captain Boomerang use guns? Tell me that if you feel so strongly positive about the game!Why does a literal Man shark use guns and not his strength and huge gaping mouth like he does even in the damn movie that came out a couple years ago,even the movies got these characters right in their abilities.But ofc...the movies weren't trying to be fortnite....the only other game where you'd find batman and superman fighting eachother with guns as their main weapons....At least that game knows exactly what it is...

And not like I care what you think but for your information I bought Arkham Knight at launch and it's my favourite game in the series even though I understand the criticism around the tank overstaying its welcome,I don't give a fuck about opinions of others.Callisto Protocol which is constantly panned was one of my favourite games of last year but again I understand it had issues and I can understand the criticism around it even though I love the game. There's no one stopping you from loving this game but to me it seems you don't even accept criticism about the game,you just want everyone to turn their brains off and enjoy whatever senseless shit this thing throws at you with no criticism all while projecting that everyone hates the game because of what others say about it.People hate the game because of how it looked from the first showing,it looked like shit then,it looks like shit now.Nothing changed.Its still a soulless and a Fortnite wannabe from a developer who was a trendsetter that now WB turned into a trendchaser...
It's funny how all you guys have the same talking points. Right down to calling someone "an employee" the second you are challenged.

Whats going on with gaf. It feels like I'm twitter.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are you sure? It isn't only Destiny, there's a lot of other very successful squad based/coop GaaS like Rainbow Six, Overwatch, Payday 2, Apex Legends, League of Legends, Valorant or even Fortnite, plus party based MMORPGs (I didn't play any of them, but I'd say WoW).

I assume that squad based/coop is more successful for GaaS because your friends add "pressure" to you to continue playing, so the user retention in squad based games I assume may be higher than in the ones where you play alone.
I would say Destiny and Suicide Squad are both co-op PvE games. Those titles typically haven't done massive numbers over the last 5 - 10 years. At one point, Destiny and Left 4 Dead were huge titles that made a lot of people think that genre was the next big thing.

The other titles you listed aren't really co-op. They're PvP centric titles. I just don't think PvE has the replay value of PvP.

I agree with you that multiplayer with social interactions do significantly better than solo multiplayer experiences.

Svejk

I didn't play it, and didn't like it. Go figure.
Just wish the Bomba would happen sooner than later. Give these poor devs freedom to break away from all this comic book schlock. JFC

Nydius

It's funny how all you guys have the same talking points. Right down to calling someone "an employee" the second you are challenged.
If you don't want to be accused of being a paid shill, maybe don't sound like a paid shill and deflect reasonable questions (like why characters were fundamentally changed from their source) by pulling the "I played it, you haven't" card.

We've seen the gameplay.
We've heard the opinions positive and negative.
It doesn't take a genius to see this game is utterly mediocre crap.

Your posts read exactly like the folks who were hyping up Avengers and Redfall in the weeks before release.

StueyDuck

If you don't want to be accused of being a paid shill, maybe don't sound like a paid shill and deflect reasonable questions (like why characters were fundamentally changed from their source) by pulling the "I played it, you haven't" card.

We've seen the gameplay.
We've heard the opinions positive and negative.
It doesn't take a genius to see this game is utterly mediocre crap.

Your posts read exactly like the folks who were hyping up Avengers and Redfall in the weeks before release.
"A paid shill"...

So this is just twitter now on here.

It's funny how all you guys seem to think I'm calling the game amazing and that no one can criticise it. None of you have actually read anything being posted and are just being reactionary and it shows big time.

"Reasonable questions" and apparently I'm the one deflecting...

Actually I dare you to find a quote from me "hyping it up" like the Avengers.

I dare you

Last edited:

Ristifer

I'm sure the game has some fun qualities. But let's be honest. The studio developed the Arkham trilogy. They set the bar. They set the standard for single-player superhero games. Now, they've taken ten years to get something like this out. It better be the most fun I've ever had, because it's taken too long and it should be obliterating the standard they've already set.

I'm sorry, but the "well, it's a fun 6-7/10 game" attitude is just telling these studios that it's okay for that standard to not be met anymore. You can still like the game. That's fine and all. But if this is the bar they want to set ten years after such acclaimed games came out, then what's their standard going to be in another 5-10 years? What's your standard going to be?

miklonus

I played the demo and it's alright, a 7/10, good time with friends type of game.

I also played far worse games In 2023 which are lauded as "greatest in history of gaming".

Needless to say I don't trust anything mainstream outlets say about anything.

Calisto protocol was meant to be so bad it raped your pets and killed your kids, then I played it through ps plus and thoroughly enjoyed it, slowly its become a hidden gem now for some.
Whoa whoa, fuck that, hold up, don't leave us in agony via suspense, tell us what these bad "far worse" games are. Shit, don't leave us questioning. What are they?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No way I am trusting any of these reviews.
It is popular to hate on this game no matter what.
I mean... it does look like shit but I would withhold my judgement

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, agreed on both counts. I just meant it usually takes 10 years once a narrative this toxic takes hold. People are just now openly admitting that DMC wasn't that bad. That's a 2013 game.

Damn, then that means we gotta wait til like the mid 2030's before people admit that Forspoken and Callisto are fantastic.

:messenger_pensive:

The game could turn out to really suck but this IGN headline means nothing. IGN has zero integrity and is only about what's popular, not what's actually good or bad. That being said this game is doomed to fail.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
"A paid shill"...

So this is just twitter now on here.

It's funny how all you guys seem to think I'm calling the game amazing and that no one can criticise it. None of you have actually read anything being posted and are just being reactionary and it shows big time.

"Reasonable questions" and apparently I'm the one deflecting...

Actually I dare you to find a quote from me "hyping it up" like the Avengers.

I dare you

Double dog dare him

i don't personally like GaaS games, but i have the mental capacity to know the difference between a game that plays badly/runs badly vs a game that isn't for me.

i can see how others can enjoy Gran Turismo or Forza even if those games aren't for me personally.

again i've played the game, it controls well, it's a pretty smooth experience even on console, it had some interesting set pieces (at least in the section i played) decent production values and so on.

this isn't the same as a NMS or a Anthem where they delivered a game different than what they promised, from day 1 this was always going to be what SS:KTJL was going to be, this is how it's always been marketed

I agree but to be fair Rocksteady just resorted to lies recently with an interview talking about how much "Suicide Squad shares its DNA with the Gotham Series" when this game is the furthest thing from that. I know, technically not lies but pure PR bullshit.

Top Bottom