• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN we played Suicide Squad and didn't like it

StueyDuck

I played the demo and it's alright, a 7/10, good time with friends type of game.

I also played far worse games In 2023 which are lauded as "greatest in history of gaming".

Needless to say I don't trust anything mainstream outlets say about anything.

Calisto protocol was meant to be so bad it raped your pets and killed your kids, then I played it through ps plus and thoroughly enjoyed it, slowly its become a hidden gem now for some.

Last edited:
Probably a nine figure sum then?
At least.

Sony games are 200 million and they were able to pump them out in 4-5 years.

Maybe Sony games have other expenses Rocksteady don't but still. This is supposed to be a live service game as well which requires development after the launch...

I think this will very likely end up on the worst of 2024 lists. I can't see any redeeming qualities and Suicide Squad is a bit crap in the first place.

WB letting this out very much feels like a move to easily let go of Rocksteady.

Mephisto40

I really don't understand how so many people can look at something and say "yeh this is going to be shit" the first time they see it, and a group of execs who's job it is to make decisions like this just don't see it themselves, and end up rolling out garbage like this thinking it's going to succeed somehow

Last edited:
I'm not so sure it is. It's just a part of a clickbait trend, imo. They've worked out that negativity and outrage gets more shares and clicks.

I agree with Team Andromeda Team Andromeda above. Just chasing social engagement.
Yep. The demo wasn't mind blowing but for me it was no worse or better than many games of this type, I did think it looked good mind. It's just IGN jumping on the anti- GaaS to get likes and subscribers and be in with the gaming community; The gaming community is who don't play the actual games and just love slagging them off on social media, so they can join the trend.

You can expect Digital Foundry to join in the bashing and all then look to cry and say it is horrible when hundreds of Rocksteady staff lose their jobs

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I really don't understand how so many people can look at something and say "yeh this is going to be shit" the first time they see it, and a group of execs who's job it is to make decisions like this just don't see it themselves, and end up rolling out garbage like this thinking it's going to succeed somehow
Not 100% sure if trolling or serious. WB execs are known for many bad decisions in general, not just in the gaming market. And also in this case the chase after the mtx money could've been an additional factor to move forward despite big red flags.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yep. The demo wasn't mind blowing but for me it was no worse or better than many games of this type, I did think it looked good mind. It's just IGN jumping on the anti- GaaS to get likes and subscribers and be in with the gaming community; The gaming community is who don't play the actual games and just love slagging them off on social media, so they can join the trend.

You can expect Digital Foundry to join in the bashing and all then look to cry and say it is horrible when hundreds of Rocksteady staff lose their jobs

Yeah, it's sad. I noticed a while ago that people get more excited about saying something is bad than celebrating something they like.

Agree very much that everyone will be very sad when loads of people who've been working really hard lose their jobs, while thousands of people tweet that the Hud wasn't pretty enough.

Yeah, it's sad. I noticed a while ago that people get more excited about saying something is bad than celebrating something they like.

Agree very much that everyone will be very sad when loads of people who've been working really hard lose their jobs, while thousands of people tweet that the Hud wasn't pretty enough.
The game isn't for me, but for so many to claim is going to be sh8t just because its GaaS is so sad. I've always found IGN to be a joke and now with social media and YouTube they're a complete joke

Lokaum D+

so, if they say that a bad game looks bad its just because they are following a trend ?

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

StueyDuck

Why are people in this thread acting like large swaths of people haven't already played this game 🤣.

Alot of the public were in the test and most ranged from "it's not that bad" to "hey this is actually fun".

There are some seriously dumb takes in this thread.

If you don't like the type of game that's fine but acting like it's an actual train smash that doesn't work and has 0 redeeming qualities based on one clickbait article from IGN sure is something

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why are people in this thread acting like large swaths of people haven't already played this game 🤣.

Alot of the public were in the test and most ranged from "it's not that bad" to "hey this is actually fun".

There are some seriously dumb takes in this thread.

If you don't like the type of game that's fine but acting like it's an actual train smash that doesn't work and has 0 redeeming qualities based on one clickbait article from IGN sure is something
Gaming community, year 2034: "you know ... Suicide Squad wasn't that bad."

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Gaming community, year 2034: "you know ... Suicide Squad wasn't that bad."
Not even I'd say a month after the game stops being supported because everyone mindlessly followed an IGN article and it dies before it gets the chance to be anything.

If this game wants to save itself from dummies it needs to get onto a service. Plus or gamepass

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not even I'd say a month after the game stops being supported because everyone mindlessly followed an IGN article and it dies before it gets the chance to be anything.

If this game wants to save itself from dummies it needs to get onto a service. Plus or gamepass
Yeah, agreed on both counts. I just meant it usually takes 10 years once a narrative this toxic takes hold. People are just now openly admitting that DMC wasn't that bad. That's a 2013 game.

Last edited:

marjo

If anyone working on a non free to play game has the word 'monitization' in their title, It's an immediate red flag.This game reeks of having an entire team devoted to that shit.

Phase

I played the demo and it's alright, a 7/10, good time with friends type of game.

I also played far worse games In 2023 which are lauded as "greatest in history of gaming".

Needless to say I don't trust anything mainstream outlets say about anything.

Calisto protocol was meant to be so bad it raped your pets and killed your kids, then I played it through ps plus and thoroughly enjoyed it, slowly its become a hidden gem now for some.
I played Calisto Protocol and it is repetitive trash. You're basically telling me here that you have no standards whatsoever.

Nobody is 'mindlessly following an IGN article', pretty much everyone saw the initial gameplay demo and thought 'this looks like shit'.

Doesn't get much more complex than that. You only get one first impression, and when you blow that, it's pretty much over.

If a game needs months of support to 'get the chance to be anything', then maybe it shouldn't exist in the first place.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Seriously can't be that stupid to try put a blame on people.
People didn't need an IGN article to say this game is crap. People having being watching and seeing footage for quite sometime already(the game didn't changed since it was revealed) and noted that it looks and plays like a generic GaaS garbage. Pretending to be that silly is ridiculous, it looks like a low effort bait at this point.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I played Calisto Protocol and it is repetitive trash. You're basically telling me here that you have no standards whatsoever.
I'm telling you I'm not a 12 year old swayed by whatever influencers tell me to think.

Callisto protocol was better than most games in 2023. Underrated gem for sure.

StueyDuck

Seriously can't be that stupid to try put a blame on people.
People didn't need an IGN article to say this game is crap. People having being watching and seeing footage for quite sometime already(the game didn't changed since it was revealed) and noted that it looks and plays like a generic GaaS garbage. Pretending to be that silly is ridiculous, it looks like a low effort bait at this point.
If there's one thing you can count on, it's the general stupidity of gamers.

This is hardly the first game that "didn't give us what we wanted grrr" and it won't be the last. It's not a train smash. People aren't dying, the world will still rotate.

Like most these 7/10 games the general mass audience will find it and enjoy it but most the time it's far too late.

Why are we acting like this isn't a thing that happens in gaming all the time.

StueyDuck

Nobody is 'mindlessly following an IGN article', pretty much everyone saw the initial gameplay demo and thought 'this looks like shit'.

Doesn't get much more complex than that. You only get one first impression, and when you blow that, it's pretty much over.

If a game needs months of support to 'get the chance to be anything', then maybe it shouldn't exist in the first place.
I've literally physically played the game.. its isn't a shit game. It's not even a bad game... its just at worst average.

All the cool kids who keep telling each other "it's trash, it's shit" etc need to not mindless follow mainstream media and their trash tier opinions.

You know they openly admit that they are all part of a group when it comes to reviews and previews. How can we take any preview/review serious when a bunch of San Fran numpties decide as a little club what all of gaming must believe.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why are we acting like this isn't a thing that happens in gaming all the time.
"After we got Arkham 4, we now realize Suicide Squad was kinda decent."
"After we got Dread and a Prime announcement, Other M actually was kind of interesting."
"After we got the mature FFXVI, on 2nd thought FFXIII and FFXV weren't that bad."
"After we got DMC5, on 2nd thought DMC had some interesting stuff."
"After we got RE2 and RE7, on 2nd thought 5 and 6 are kind of fun."

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
If there's one thing you can count on, it's the general stupidity of gamers.

You're one of them as well. You are acting like those edgy gaming journalists mocking gamers but "not me, I'm a gamer but different".
No one needed an article to tell the game is garbage. The fact that you played and though its not bad doesn't make it less garbage. There are very low effort scored games that people occasionaly play from time to time or had some fun on it. Doesn't mean the game is 7.
And its not like we're talking about a small indie though, we're talking about Rockystead winner of Batman Arkhan series games and they put like what? 5~6 years to make a game where one fella said its 7 out of 10? Lol good work I guess

Last edited:

cireza

"After we got Arkham 4, we now realize Suicide Squad was kinda decent."
"After we got Dread and a Prime announcement, Other M actually was kind of interesting."
"After we got the mature FFXVI, on 2nd thought FFXIII and FFXV weren't that bad."
"After we got DMC5, on 2nd thought DMC had some interesting stuff."
"After we got RE2 and RE7, on 2nd thought 5 and 6 are kind of fun."
I wonder why developers haven't figured this out yet. The solution is crystal clear : release a game AND its sequel at the same time. Problem solved.

giphy.gif

StueyDuck

You're one of them as well. You are acting like those edgy gaming journalists mocking gamers but "not me I'm different".
No one needed an article to tell the game is garbage. The fact that you played and though its not bad doesn't make it less garbage. There are very low effort scored games that people occasionaly play from time to time or had some fun on it. Doesn't mean the game is 7.
And its not like we're talking about a small indie though, we're talking about Rockystead winner of Batman Arkhan series games and they put like what? 5~6 years to make a game where one fella said its 7 out of 10? Lol
Why does any of that matter to you. Do you have stocks in WB?

You decided like many gamers that you absolutely loathe this game no matter what. There is literally nothing this game could have done to make you happy.

What do you even want me to say, the game is hot shit smelly pants just because that's what IGN said?

I've played it and I'm telling you it's a totally fine game, I wouldn't blame anyone from skipping it but acting like it's a disaster is nothing more than childish. It's the equivalent of hating vegetables as a child.

FunkMiller

Why does any of that matter to you. Do you have stocks in WB?

You decided like many gamers that you absolutely loathe this game no matter what. There is literally nothing this game could have done to make you happy.

What do you even want me to say, the game is hot shit smelly pants just because that's what IGN said?

I've played it and I'm telling you it's a totally fine game, I wouldn't blame anyone from skipping it but acting like it's a disaster is nothing more than childish. It's the equivalent of hating vegetables as a child.

It's a disaster because one of the greatest single player game developers of all time, that created a trilogy of truly exceptional Batman games, have been forced to make a bullshit, live service, greed powered GaaS. The quality of the game itself is actually pretty immaterial.

If a restaurant takes fillet steak off the menu and replaces it with a slab of tofu, that tofu could be the best tofu ever... but to fans of steak it's still a fucking disaster.

Now I'm hungry.

Bond007

Imagine being confident to allow someone to come view your title- only for them to turn around and shit on it. Sheeshh, lol
This game never looked good to me, nor are the characters.

I'm here for Batman

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Yeah, why does matter for me caring for the series from a franchise I care about.
I knew it was low bait excrement effort, the onus was on me for fall for it.
Lol. Yeah I'm tagging out, I see where this is going.

You are so right, the game is smelly willy.

StueyDuck

It's a disaster because one of the greatest single player game developers of all time, that created a trilogy of truly exceptional Batman games, have been forced to make a bullshit, live service, greed powered GaaS. The quality of the game itself is actually pretty immaterial.

If a restaurant takes fillet steak off the menu and replaces it with a slab of tofu, that tofu could be the best tofu ever... but to fans of steak it's still a fucking disaster.

Now I'm hungry.
A 7/10 perfectly fine game is not a disaster.

Imagine if you were expected to go above and beyond every single thing you ever did in your life ever and the second you don't do as well you get obliterated by everyone

People should actually... you know... play the game and decide first.

I've literally physically played the game.. its isn't a shit game. It's not even a bad game... its just at worst average.

All the cool kids who keep telling each other "it's trash, it's shit" etc need to not mindless follow mainstream media and their trash tier opinions.

You know they openly admit that they are all part of a group when it comes to reviews and previews. How can we take any preview/review serious when a bunch of San Fran numpties decide as a little club what all of gaming must believe.

Let's be honest though, in today's market, with so many available options, 'average' just isn't going to cut it, certainly not for a product that is built around long-time engagement. (e.g. every other failed GaaS attempt to date).

Besides, this is the internet, where everything gets blown out of proportions anyway. Anything from a 6.5 to an 8.5 out of 10 might as well be written off as trash to the general public, which is why I stopped caring that much about review scores a long time ago.

Let the chips fall as they may. If it's a great game, opinions will change. If it isn't, maybe they can fix it and change people's minds over time.

For now though, it doesn't look good for Rocksteady, which is a shame because I love that studio and I want them to stick around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom