• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Best Game of All-Time : The Grand Final! (God of War 2018 wins)

giphy.webp

Handel

Instagram users are to blame for this being the final, the majority of the votes come from that platform (for instance, BOTW beat GTAV on IGN.com, IGN Twitter and IGN Youtube, but lost on IGN Instagram).

Between these two it''s GOW2018, but neither should be in the finals here despite both being excellent games.

The only good thing that came out of this was Chrono Trigger losing to Burnout 3, and the griping about that particular matchup here is hilarious and shows how people just disrespect certain genres. Burnout 3 is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, racing game of all time, yet it's supposedly absurd that it can beat one of the highest regarded RPGs?

Last edited:
There's got to be a better way of doing this. There's no way a 20 year old game with a 200mb size can be fairly compared to a modern game that's 40gb +...let alone 8bit and 16 bit games that are hardly bigger than 1-2 MB.

A 2020 ferrari is superior in speed, comfort, safety and amenities than one from 30 years ago...no shit Sherlock.

Maybe better to put games from the same generation against each other.. figure out the generational winners and then compare across generations against some relevant criteria that sustains across generations like: overall impact on gaming culture during its generation, replayability, accessibility, immersion during its generation, addictiveness etc.

Anyone else agree?
You think the average ign intern gonna do all that work. What you think this is, a real job?

Star-Lord

So I’m assuming they put the names of a load of games in a hat, drew two, and presto, there’s your contenders for GOTY? Because there’s no way in hell those two come close to being comparable to one another, and there’s simply no competition.

ZywyPL

Banned
this is mainly a popularity contest with a huge part of young audience, what did you expect would happen for games that are 20+ more year ?

Then why even make such a list and then name it "Best Game of All-Time"? Should've been named "best game of 2000's" or "best games of 3rd millenium" and would make much more sense.

martino

Then why even make such a list and then name it "Best Game of All-Time"? Should've been named "best game of 2000's" or "best games of 3rd millenium" and would make much more sense.
Here they won't vote for something they don't really know....it's why it's a popularity context.
And it's why done this way it will move with generation and weight they have on this consensus
I wouldn't call the most known social media game the best one though....
You need people with deep understanding of game design and history and who have played all those games to rule on that...
And even like that it's still debatable it's enough but at least it would still be 100x more legitimate imo

Last edited:
What a weird choice for the final for best game of all-time. I mean, sure it's subjective, but come on. But from those two GTA definitely has the greater impact.

Evilms

Banned
Not really, the IGN one is being heavily manipulated.... even now with GOW sub 9%, every few minutes the GOW % goes down.

It's completely out of line with the others.

But....salty gamers have nothing better to do.

You may be right
mKovgLh.png

On youtube GOW is always ahead of GTAV
TC6g0H2.jpg

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
These two titles run for the best everrrrrrr? Kill me now! It's like saying Avengers and John Wick are the best movies ever. Kill me and make me suffer plz, I feel as if I sinned!

Last edited:

yurinka

If I have to choose between these two, my personal favorite is GoW. I didn't complete GTAV, I platinumed GoW. Games of the generation? Maybe. But I don't consider them as the best games ever. I'd put instead old, super influential classics like Tetris vs Street Fighter II that back then had a proportionally way bigger success and cultural impact, specially in the arcades.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Burnout 3 beat....Chrono Trigger?

I love Burnout and all...but fucking what?
I agree. They poll users who have probably gamed for 8-10 years tops. They haven’t exactly digested the last two console cycles and they’ve probably gotten their “gaming history” from watching speed runners. There’s no real credibility to this besides people being aware of popular video games.

tmlDan

God of War (2018) isn't even the best God of War game ffs.

These fan votes are always total garbage.
excuse me? it 100% is the best God of War game.

you're 100% wrong. - but opinions are allowed to be had.

guess what guys, it also better than Ocarina of Time - ya you heard me you nostalgia driven gamers, games are better now than they used to be.

excuse me? it 100% is the best God of War game.

you're 100% wrong. - but opinions are allowed to be had.

guess what guys, it also better than Ocarina of Time - ya you heard me you nostalgia driven gamers, games are better now than they used to be.
I'm not sure my opinion on a game can be incorrect, but feel free to chime in with more hot takes in the future. Cheers.

tmlDan

I'm not sure my opinion on a game can be incorrect, but feel free to chime in with more hot takes in the future. Cheers.
Alright, I'll bite. The earlier games are repetitive and had a basic combat system that didn't even have to be utilized in its fullest unless you played on the hardest difficulty.

It was a mindless hack and slash with QTE events without thought needed - even on regular difficulties in the new God of War you need to strategize and use your abilities to survive which leads to more dynamic and engaged combat.

I mean ya, you can prefer the mindless blade attacks, that's obviously valid but it's worse game design imo.

Top Bottom