• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Best Game of All-Time : The Grand Final! (God of War 2018 wins)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fixed that for you 😉

now-old.gif

Game single handedly changed the course of PlayStation. It's effects will be felt for millenia.

WitchHunter

Banned
Let's see. IGN, a company available in

English, German, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Serbian, Swedish, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Greek, Romanian, Korean, Russian, Croatian, Turkish, Czech, Portuguese, Japanese, Hindi, Filipino and other Philippine dialects

multiple languages. Hmmmmm...

IGN is now also distributed on
mobile platforms,
console programs on the Xbox and
PlayStation, FireTV,
Roku, and via
YouTube,
Twitch,
Hulu, and
Snapchat.

I like companies that believe they are so important (wonder why), that they MUST broadcast their "message" to everyone, on every imaginable platform.

Now I start to see why the internet will be segmented into regions sooner or later.

nkarafo

Apex Legends > Super Metroid

Who votes for this shit? 10 year olds who never played anything offline?

the new generation of players has spoken
Isn't it pointless for a younger audience to vote for the best game of all time when games exist since the 70's and they probably never played anything before the PS2? I doubt any of these voters ever played half of these games. So how can they tell what's better?

Last edited:
Something tells me these two choices won't go down too well here.
People voting for these polls are mostly Xbox one and PS4 audience, that's why you seeing ROTR beating Half Life 2 in above results coz these kids havnt experienced most of the classics games that everyone on gaf grew up playing.

This poll is a joke IGNorant.

nkarafo

Good lord man. Your nostalgia bubble is the dirtiest i've seen yet. Lucky for you i'm a certified bubble popper

Hit me up when you want to move on with the times
Older things automatically worse then?

Better graphics = better games, automatically?

You are not better than the "nostalgia glasses" people, you seem to have even bigger biases.

The new generations couldn't care less about the games we enjoyed during our younger days.
If that's the case then how are they eligible to judge these games and vote for/against them?

Last edited:
Older things automatically worse then?

Better graphics = better games, automatically?

You are not better than the "nostalgia glasses" people, you seem to have even worse biases.

It's not a bias

It's simply accepting the reality that old janky ass games are old janky ass games, and having the strength to move on

I'll help pop your bubble too. Just hit me up bro

nkarafo

It's not a bias

It's simply accepting the reality that old janky ass games are old janky ass games, and having the strength to move on

Thanks, not interested. I prefer to judge stuff based on their quality, not their age.

You are missing a lot of great classics friend. If you want me to show you some stuff just hit me up.

Thanks, not interested. I prefer to judge stuff based on their quality, not their age.

You are missing a lot of great classics friend. If you want me to show you some stuff just hit me up.

Oh don't worry i've played plenty of classics when they were still relevent

They're now in the bin along with those nostalgia glasses

Banjo64

cumsessed
Other way round my man

They're not relevent because the quality is shite now
Depends on the game/genre. Some genres like 3D platforming and RTS have not really gone anywhere over the last 10 years.

We’ve had Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet this year but they are derivative games (game play wise, they are still similar to PS1/N64 platformers). Something like Jak and Daxter the Precurser Legacy still plays as good as either of them, and the writing is still good today.

Age of Empires 4 will likely be shit mechanically compared to older RTS games like Stronghold & Strongold Crusaders, AoE 1&2 etc.

That’s not though a lens of nostalgia, they are just better than the games in their genre being released in 2021.

In terms of this thread though, surely no one can argue that something like Apex Legends will even be remembered in 20 years time, never mind as one of the top 100 games of all time.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Other way round my man

Yeah, thousands of games have to be shit now just because they are old. No other metric or anything lets just put all the games in a bag and call them shit.

That's called bias in case you didn't know. A bad case too.

But whatever, you do you. Others have a much larger selection of games or other media to enjoy since they don't automatically brush off stuff based on when they got released.

Other way round my man

I know you're baiting but you're wrong. Diablo 2R is just one example, the game is over 20 years old and it's still great and will always be great. Good game design doesn't age.

It's even more evident when you look at real life games. Nobody would say that chess is a shit game because it's 1300 years old.

Last edited:

Mess

Oh jesus

Sounds like an infection then. Can't help you there i'm afraid

Style over substance then? Some people just enjoy games for things like, you know, gameplay. I can't think of one game released in the past few years that is as smooth and precise as Street Fighter 3, quakeworld, Super Mario World, .... and the list could go on for a while.

I know you're baiting but you're wrong. Diablo 2R is just one example, the game is over 20 years old and it's still great and will always be great. Good game design doesn't age.

It's even more evident when you look at real life games. Nobody would say that chess is a shit game because it's 1300 years old.

Yeah just trying to offer some equilibrium since this thread is filled with old losers whining about those blasted kids :messenger_beaming:

Of course I don't think trash like Fortnite is better than Mass Effect etc etc

Last edited:
Yeah, thousands of games have to be shit now just because they are old. No other metric or anything lets just put all the games in a bag and call them shit.

That's called bias in case you didn't know. A bad case too.

But whatever, you do you. Others have a much larger selection of games or other media to enjoy since they don't automatically brush off stuff based on when they got released.

ePcGCYR.png

Depends on the game/genre. Some genres like 3D platforming and RTS have not really gone anywhere over the last 10 years.

We’ve had Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet this year but they are derivative games (game play wise, they are still similar to PS1/N64 platformers). Something like Jak and Daxter the Precurser Legacy still plays as good as either of them, and the writing is still good today.

Age of Empires 4 will likely be shit mechanically compared to older RTS games like Stronghold & Strongold Crusaders, AoE 1&2 etc.

That’s not though a lens of nostalgia, they are just better than the games in their genre being released in 2021.

In terms of this thread though, surely no one can argue that something like Apex Legends will even be remembered in 20 years time, never mind as one of the top 100 games of all time.

Yeah Kena and Psychonauhts are probably my two favourite games of this year and besides the graphics you'd think they were 5th or 6th gen games

Only point was to go on the opposite end of the spectrum because that's exactly how some of these lot sound with the obsession of old games. Just because they revolutioned the genre or something during their time doesn't mean they hold up to todays standards and it's completely fair for them to get beat because of that.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's not a bias

There is no jank to many old games. Super Mario Bros 3 for example is perfection and better than 90 percent of games that have come out since. You can't change my mind. Super Metriod. Chrono Trigger. Sonic 2. The list goes on. All the pretty graphics you can have today won't touch flawless gameplay. Journey is the most recent game I can think of that was essentially perfect and that had nothing to do with its graphics.

There is no jank to many old games. Super Mario Bros 3 for example is perfection and better than 90 percent of games that have come out since. You can't change my mind. Super Metriod. Chrono Trigger. Sonic 2. The list goes on. All the pretty graphics you can have today won't touch flawless gameplay. Journey is the most recent game I can think of that was essentially perfect and that had nothing to do with its graphics.

My doctor had to ban me from playing those games because all that jank nearly killed me

SkylineRKR

You can't expect youngster to choose Super Metroid or even OoT.

GTA V isn't a weird choice. Its the best selling game of all time (considering what it is, a full retail game, not even suited for all ages). And this pretty much persisted on the PS4 when its essentially a PS3 generation game at heart. Its also supposed to be the most profitable entertainment product period. So yeah, a huge crowd out there likes it.

God of War 2018 is a classic for sure and for me the best GoW game by far. It sold more than all other GoWs combined. Still, its surprising its up there in the final and seems to beat GTA.

Marty-McFly

Banned
We're all old and out of touch now. The new generations couldn't care less about the games we enjoyed during our younger days. They look at those games and probably feel bad for us, that we were stuck with those games but we look at them with fond memories of nostalgia.
Nah. Us seasoned gamer's have played hundreds if not thousands of games to draw our conclusions from. New gamer's simply don't have the breadth of experience to understand the craft in the way that veterans do. There are many, many games I have played that are better than GOW. I don't just mean that from a "cultural impact at the time" or nostalgic pov either. I'm talking about straight up better games which are only behind in the graphics and cinematic production values that come with gaming in current times.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Only point was to go on the opposite end of the spectrum because that's exactly how some of these lot sound with the obsession of old games. Just because they revolutioned the genre or something during their time doesn't mean they hold up to todays standards and it's completely fair for them to get beat because of that.
Rather than simply revolutionizing a genre, some still do certain things better than modern games.
A lot of old shooters still have level design way ahead of its modern counterparts, some old rpgs have much much better quest design than modern ones. Half Life, which you memed about earlier, still does enviromental story telling better than the majority of modern games, not to mention its mechanics are not only still solid but actually feel better to play than a lot of FPSs coming out nowadays.

Then theres also things like story and music, its not all that uncommon to find old games that do these far better than even the modern iterations of their series.

Nah. Us seasoned gamer's have played hundreds if not thousands of games to draw our conclusions from. New gamer's simply don't have the breadth of experience to understand the craft in the way that veterans do. There are many, many games I have played that are better than GOW. I don't just mean that from a "cultural impact at the time" or nostalgic pov either. I'm talking about straight up better games which are only behind in the graphics and cinematic production values that come with gaming in current times.

xIoiPbC.gif

Don't be surprised if they announce GTAV winning today- even though every other site had GOW winning nearly 2:1 - the votes on the IGN website seems to have been hacked. The first day on there the votes were in line with the other sites with GOW leading GTAV 2:1, but then suddenly it jumped to a nearly 8:1 favor for GTAV in less then a couple of hours. They didn't turn off the voting though after the deadline and it went back to GOW's favor - so who knows? Depends on the timing and how many of those fake votes they are going to count. Either way the credibility of IGN shines yet again.

Evilms

Banned
Don't be surprised if they announce GTAV winning today- even though every other site had GOW winning nearly 2:1 - the votes on the IGN website seems to have been hacked. The first day on there the votes were in line with the other sites with GOW leading GTAV 2:1, but then suddenly it jumped to a nearly 8:1 favor for GTAV in less then a couple of hours. They didn't turn off the voting though after the deadline and it went back to GOW's favor - so who knows? Depends on the timing and how many of those fake votes they are going to count. Either way the credibility of IGN shines yet again.
I love both games, so no matter who wins in the end, it will be a nice winner.

it just makes me laugh to see those who say that the old games were better and more deserving.

Top Bottom