• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you bought a Samsung 980 Pro for your PS5, you might need to do a firmware ASAP.

GHG

Thanks for the heads up. Even though I only have a 500GB one (I know, I know, but it's literally only a 1st party/exclusive machine for me) I'll still take it out and do it.

ZoukGalaxy

What is bothering me is the lack of tech details on why this is happening. Are the data actually corrupted by the firmware ?

Wondering.

And this:
Unfortunately, once your 980 Pro goes into this failure state, there is no way to recover your data, even with the firmware update.
Deeply sucks.

I'm fortunate to only have a "old" float of 970 Pro Evo+ for once.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Untitled.png

i bought this 980 pro 2TB a few weeks ago and it came with the new firmware installed. if you bought it recently when they were cheap youre probably good.

DryvBy

Untitled.png

i bought this 980 pro 2TB a few weeks ago and it came with the new firmware installed. if you bought it recently when they were cheap youre probably good.
I bought mine in January so mine's good too but it's really annoying for my friend.

sinnergy

It’s great all those do it your self SSD solutions 🤣 very convenient for the savvy .. I i prefer MS solution , it’s more expensive, yes , but you won’t have this crap .

How will general public know?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I'm not sure. Is there such an adapter that would let me connect an SSD to a laptop via USB-C?
something like this? I never tried though, should work i guess.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
something like this? I never tried though, should work i guess.

From what I understand it does not, you need the drives plugged into an m.2 port either on the board itself or by a PCI-E slotted m.2 card for Samsung magician to allow for updating.

Either way not a great look for Samsung (I own two 980 Pro's one in my PC is updated and the other is in my PS5, which I updated at the time before slotting in but unsure if its version 4+)

Last edited:
Is this an issue that is specific to Samsung’s firmware, or is this something that could potentially happen to other SSDs and Samsung just happened to identify and fix it first?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This was the downside to allowing third party drives. Thst said I think I still prefer it over Microsoft price gouging.

The perfect balance really should be first party drives only but at competitive pricing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I got a 980 Pro 1tb. More than enough.

I did the update to increase the speed. Hopefully that's enough as I'm not pulling it out to update it.

Top Bottom