• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] This is the one thing PS5 absolutely did better than the Xbox Series X and S (talking about storage expansion)

Did you expand your console's storage?

• I upgraded my PS5 storage

Votes: 155 55.6%
  • I upgraded my XSX/S storage

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • I did not upgrade my PS5 sotrage

Votes: 78 28.0%
  • I did not upgrade my XSX/S storage

Votes: 65 23.3%

• Total voters
I always need to laugh at those "play at friends" as the "big advantage" as if those friends have no games or no sub service. Or maybe these people are still young that they play at friends every day or weekend.
Just pretend the internet doesn’t exist, like in 1994 🤣.

stan marsh wtf GIF by South Park

The solution itself is much better on Xbox, it’s just that the price didn’t drop
The solution itself is much worse on Xbox. When you go propriety, you know beforehand you’re gonna pay way more than any other solution.

Also, since all you do is stick it in and never carry the disk around in 99.9% of the cases I’d say the PS5 solution itself is significantly better. With Xbox if you have a small space you have to watch out you don’t hit the sticking out item while on PS5 the item is secured inside the console with 1 easy screw.

Tommi84

The solution itself is much better on Xbox, it’s just that the price didn’t drop
So you're telling me you want something sticking out of your console, can be removed by anyone (even a child), misplaced or lost, costs SO MUCH more, has WORSE read/write speeds than Gen4 nvme drives as it is a 'better solution'? Nah, fam. Not even MS Central thinks this was a better solution. You put the drive in PS5 and you forget about it.

Last edited:

Damigos

I have an external SSD for my PS4 games and only install PS5 games on PS5 and i didnt need to upgrade my PS5 internal drive. Not even close. I was watching a list until 2021 that was comparing PS5 and XBX games' size. The Series X ones were around 10-40% bigger in size. The bigger the game the biggest the difference

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The only issue with Xbox solution is the price, otherwise it is superior (plug and play, easy to instal/remove etc). I myself got 1tb expansion card in my xbsx and 2 tb ssd via usb as a cold storage. That 4 tb are sufficient for me.

It's not, just stop it lol. 99% of the people do not hot swap that thing when it's in the back of the Xbox. So you pay for a overpriced piece of junk that's is also much much much slower in general then what you can get for the PS5.

The NVMe drive in the PS5 can also be used in the PC, so if you want to upgrade, you can always use it again. It was known from the start that the Xbox version wou;d be more expensive. In 2020, we already said that those off the shelf NVMe drives would be much cheaper not long after.

WiFi 6 is where SONY did better IMO

- USB type C
- 10Gbit USB ports instead of 5Gbit on Xbox
- Better live stream features
- Better gameplay recording 4K/60/HDR
- Better screenshot features
- PS App on IOS is much faster then Xbox app
- Remote play was always a big thing over Xbox their solution
- Remote storage management

Last edited:

damidu

So you're telling me you want something sticking out of your console, can be removed by anyone (even a child), misplaced or lost, costs SO MUCH more, has WORSE read/write speeds than Gen4 nvme drives as it is a 'better solution'? Nah, fam. Not even MS Central thinks this was a better solution. You put the drive in PS5 and you forget about it.
not just those, that something will die with series generation and be an overpriced e-waste,
where you’ll end up with a ultra fast drive you can use anywhere on ps5 case.

but pointless to argue with anyone who has a need to defend shit like these. they are just too far gone at this point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd expect we'll see 2TB XSX units before too long, should basically erase the need for expansion for the majority of owners. When the systems with more storage show up, just sell your old one and buy a new model, probably cost you less than the expansion drive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Stupid form factor, 2230 are way more expensive than 2280, you need more high density chip for same storage (you can put more of them on x80), so even if SSD drive prices starting to drop, Xbox solution will be more expensive and that Seagate Markup on top of it.

Series X expansion card is currently on my shit list.
Atomic Heart install was just all around stupid on the Series X.
I have that expensive 1TB expansion card in my Series X, I also have it set to never leave the Xbox in the settings menu.
Got the Xbox set in the power mode that allows updating. Off to work for long hours not going to be home.
Atomic Heart preload was a joke, installed on internal SSD. Huge day one update required, followed by more giant updates same day.
Get home, Xbox had a message saying my storage was full, update could not be done on Atomic Heart.
The Expansion card had over 300GB of free space. Update never touched the expansion card.

Total and complete fail from Xbox and that stupid expensive expansion card.
What was the point of that setting to keep the card in the box?

Xbox, your expansion card isn't worth the extra expense. You failed. Fail.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The simple plug and play of the Xbox storage is brilliant. It’s great for those households with multiple Xboxes.
Exactly, I have what I'm playing now on a storage card and move it between consoles in the house, nice and easy and works flawlessly between Series X and Series S.

It's pretty obvious that MS made a bad bet when it comes to expanded storage.

That being said my 6 TB external hard drive is still only half full, and I've had it for 5 years. If I play a game, and know I'm not going to play it again it gets deleted. If I think I might want to revisit the game again it goes in cold storage. I've never had a problem, and if I get close to the Series X's 1 TB limit there are obviously some games that deserve to go on the HD.

It's not

- USB type C
- 10Gbit USB ports instead of 5Gbit on Xbox
- Better live stream features
- Better gameplay recording 4K/60/HDR
- Better screenshot feature
- PS App on IOS is much faster the Xbox app
- Remote play was always a big thing over Xbox their solution
- Remote storage management
Other than VR I can't think of a single reason why the Xbox would need USB C. It's much easier uploading photos on the Xbox IMO, especially to a PC, via the PC XBox app and its also much easier to find your recordings and pictures on the XBox (Just hold down the button) so I don't get you on that point and I don't get your over the quality either I only have the mobile Apps on my Samsung Galaxy and both load the same for me

I don't agree with you about remote storage at all; MS have a much better feature set for the transfer of files to and from your family of consoles over the network IMO. If you want to play silly little games mind. You also don't need to activate or deactivate a console like on the PS, just log in and all your cloud data is there and also saved, no matter which Xbox console you are on or how many are on the same XBox. No silly issues like old save not working on your new system (Like Death Stranding) No silly need to dig out a USA cable to update the headset, smart delivery is so much better than the PS equivalent, quick resume is awesome, its simpler to power off the console via the pad and Dolby Atmos support is amazing when a game makes fully use of it, Dolby Vision is not half bad too

I'll give the PSV WiFi 6 support mind

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I upgraded my PS5 storage during a black Friday sale, got an extra 1TB for pretty cheap.

I have not done the same for my Series S despite the fact that it has less storage and is the more.played family console in the house, because the prices are too high.

LordOfChaos

It is better, and I haven't upgraded it. I'm if anything trying to focus on finishing a few installed games one at a time and then deleting and getting the next thing, rather than having many games installed and finishing none.

The Series S does feel much more limiting even doing that however.

poodaddy

I've added 4 tb of ssd storage to my Series X as I use it for most third party stuff, but just on exclusives alone I need more PSV storage at some point. Probably wait for a good 4 tb to hit a decent price, but I just can't swing it right now. Till then, I need to figure out which games to delete when Spider Man 2 and Wolverine come out :(.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not better at all. It's a pain in the ass having to open up the PS5 and swap the memory stick, vs just swapping the memory stick on Xbox (I'm now at a stage where I need 2 super-fast memory cards for both systems)

That would be a hassle except for the fact that you can buy one standard SSD for PS5 that is twice the capacity as XSX expansion for less money. That in itself makes PS5 the better solution.

Lunarorbit

I have not added any storage. 800 gb is enough for me as I have good internet and don't care about deleting and reinstalling games.

I think I have about 20 games on my ps5 right now: gow, control, horizon and then lots of smaller games like doki Doki, chicory, terminator.

Virex

Banned
Bought a 1TB Crucial SSD at a really good price. Installed a heatsink and put in my PS5(just the tip lol). The Crucial was reasonably price, really fast and I have been happy ever since.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Other than VR I can't think of a single reason why the Xbox would need USB C. It's much easier uploading photos on the Xbox IMO, especially to a PC, via the PC XBox app and its also much easier to find your recordings and pictures on the XBox (Just hold down the button) so I don't get you on that point and I don't get your over the quality either I only have the mobile Apps on my Samsung Galaxy and both load the same for me

I don't agree with you about remote storage at all; MS have a much better feature set for the transfer of files to and from your family of consoles over the network IMO. If you want to play silly little games mind. You also don't need to activate or deactivate a console like on the PS, just log in and all your cloud data is there and also saved, no matter which Xbox console you are on or how many are on the same XBox. No silly issues like old save not working on your new system (Like Death Stranding) No silly need to dig out a USA cable to update the headset, smart delivery is so much better than the PS equivalent, quick resume is awesome, its simpler to power off the console via the pad and Dolby Atmos support is amazing when a game makes fully use of it, Dolby Vision is not half bad too

I'll give the PSV WiFi 6 support mind

It's much easier uploading photos on the Xbox IMO, especially to a PC, via the PC XBox app and its also much easier to find your recordings and pictures on the XBox (Just hold down the button) so I don't get you on that point and I don't get your over the quality either I only have the mobile Apps on my Samsung Galaxy and both load the same for me

Like holding the share button on the PS5? or just press the PS button and you see your last screenshot or recording. PS5 uploads screenshots and manual recording automatically, nothing different in general.

I don't agree with you about remote storage at all; MS have a much better feature set for the transfer of files to and from your family of consoles over the network IMO.

It's about storage management, i'm not talking about transferring files.

No silly need to dig out a USA cable to update the headset

No need for a cable

smart delivery is so much better than the PS equivalent

Not much different atm, you see both versions for crossplatform games. Smart Delivery will be irrelevant when there will be only next-gen games.

its simpler to power off the console via the pad

Must be such a workout to turn off the PS5.....

Dolby Atmos support is amazing when a game makes fully use of it

The problem is that not much dev make use of both DV and DA in general.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Exactly, I have what I'm playing now on a storage card and move it between consoles in the house, nice and easy and works flawlessly between Series X and Series S.
While on PS5, for the price of a single 1TB XSX Expansion card, you can have 4 1TB SSD to put in 4 consoles or 2 2TB SSD to put in 2 consoles in your house. No need to flawlessly move expansion card between 2 or 4 consoles.

Last edited:

damidu

hurray for %0.0001 of the userbase that have both series x and s. i guess we will have to pay your convienece too

Tripolygon

Banned
Does anyone know what MrFunSocks alt account is? I remember him telling me that PS5 SSD would get more expensive over time.
Just a word to all those people thinking that these HDD/SSD prices will drop quickly and sharply - have you looked at the price of *normal* HDDs lately? A 2x10TB external drive I bought back in march for AUD$450 is now over AUD$1000, directly from the manufacturer. HDD availability is also terrible. With high speed drives being used for mining, the chances of prices dropping any time soon are pretty slim.

MS won't raise the price of their proprietary expansion drive for the Xbox. Companies that make these high speed SSDs that the PS5 uses absolutely will, because they already are.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
hurray for %0.0001 of the userbase that have both series x and s. i guess we will have to pay your convienece too
I take my Xbox card to friends and family and on trips with games on it. I also bring it to my cabin on occasion too, as I have an Xbox there. My son does the same with his friends. It's pretty nice. Costly, but nice.

Riky

$MSFT
While on PS5, for the price of a single 1TB XSX Expansion card, you can have 4 1TB SSD to put in 4 consoles or 2 2TB SSD to put in 2 consoles in your house. No need to flawlessly move expansion card between 2 or 4 consoles.
I only have one PS5.
I also would prefer to only download the game once.
Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, if price is the most important thing to you then fine, although you could just delete and redownload or use HDD cold storage, which people funnily enough were happy with at one point.
I download my game once and move it around easy, that's what I paid for and I'm happy with it.

Like holding the share button on the PS5? or just press the PS button and you see your last screenshot or recording. PS5 uploads screenshots and manual recording automatically, nothing different in general.

It's about storage management, i'm not talking about transferring files.

No need for a cable

Not much different atm, you see both versions for crossplatform games. Smart Delivery will be irrelevant when there will be only next-gen games.

Must be such a workout to turn off the PS5.....

The problem is that not much dev make use of both DV and DA in general.
Not at all Snake. You can't share your capture at a touch of a button to the likes of Twitter on the PSV. You've got to go through varsious menus. On Xbox it's so much easier and just share the capture.
Also, on the PC is so easier to transfer your captures and photo's over using the PC XBox App, no need to look for a Pen Drive with the PS on Smart phones I see no difference TBH
Speaking of which, moving files is no different or worse, but the XBox makes it much easier to move files over the network from different XBox consoles and we're still in the Cross gen, so Smart Delivery is very much relevant and yeah turining off the Xbox is much eaiser, I can even have Alexa do it for me too if I can't be bothered to hold in a button.

I give the PSV WiFi 6 support mind

That would be a hassle except for the fact that you can buy one standard SSD for PS5 that is twice the capacity as XSX expansion for less money. That in itself makes PS5 the better solution.
I have 2 SSD's hocked up my to my Series X right now in fact. I'm sorry to break this to you. You could use SSD's from day one on the XBox Series X and didn't need a firmware update.
Another thing MS did better

Topher

Gold Member
I have 2 SSD's hocked up my to my Series X right now in fact. I'm sorry to break this to you. You could use SSD's from day one on the XBox Series X and didn't need a firmware update.
Another thing MS did better

Are you talking about SSD via USB? You realize that is not what we are talking about, right?

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I only have one PS5.
I also would prefer to only download the game once.
Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, if price is the most important thing to you then fine, although you could just delete and redownload or use HDD cold storage, which people funnily enough were happy with at one point.
I download my game once and move it around easy, that's what I paid for and I'm happy with it.
That's what I call a solution looking for a problem. I have never met anyone who doesn't delete and redownload games but to each their own i suppose. I can understand if you have monthly data caps of less than 200GB and slow internet speed.

I only use my PS5 for exclusives so there is always enough storage on PS5 especially since I delete a game once I am finished. Series X is my main, and I have the 1tb expansion card which is MORE than enough space and I think I paid $90 out of pocket since I had used a Best Buy Gift Card + it was on sale 15% under MSRP.

It’s like the vita, ms should have learned from the 360 days, as ssd prices will go down even more, Xbox will be stuck with the overpriced shit, it’s sad as the series s the capacity is so small,

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not at all Snake. You can't share your capture at a touch of a button to the likes of Twitter on the PSV. You've got to go through varsious menus. On Xbox it's so much easier and just share the capture.
Also, on the PC is so easier to transfer your captures and photo's over using the PC XBox App, no need to look for a Pen Drive with the PS on Smart phones I see no difference TBH
Speaking of which, moving files is no different or worse, but the XBox makes it much easier to move files over the network from different XBox consoles and we're still in the Cross gen, so Smart Delivery is very much relevant and yeah turining off the Xbox is much eaiser, I can even have Alexa do it for me too if I can't be bothered to hold in a button.

I give the PSV WiFi 6 support mind

Do you even own a PS5? It’s a touch of a button to share stuff on twitter or youtube.

You act like everything is a workout or something.

damidu

I take my Xbox card to friends and family and on trips with games on it. I also bring it to my cabin on occasion too, as I have an Xbox there. My son does the same with his friends. It's pretty nice. Costly, but nice.
issue is im doing none of those things, and still asked to cough up double the price for half the speed

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have external SSDs for both my XBSX and PS5 and just swap games out as needed. I suspect eventually I'll get proper expansions for both but the costs need to come down first. However, I see that happening much sooner for my PS5 because there's actual nonproprietary competition there.

Top Bottom