• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] This is the one thing PS5 absolutely did better than the Xbox Series X and S (talking about storage expansion)

Did you expand your console's storage?

• I upgraded my PS5 storage

Votes: 155 55.6%
  • I upgraded my XSX/S storage

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • I did not upgrade my PS5 sotrage

Votes: 78 28.0%
  • I did not upgrade my XSX/S storage

Votes: 65 23.3%

• Total voters
Fine for you to say that, like you could defend Xbox 360 HDD price gouging, but you are grossly overselling the pain of adding an SDD module.

If you really do not want to bother just get a 5-8 TB external HDD/or hybrid disk and backup all games there and the PS4 titles you want to run, minor inconvenience of moving games back to the main storage when you want to play them at a fraction of the cost… there.

Or buy a 2 TB expansion and spend 10 minutes inserting it in the console (task that you will probably not do again for years).

I have an external of course, but I wanted to have as much next gen game ready storage as possible without having to rely too much on my external that I brought over from my Xbox One X. I literally have 3 of the Series X expansion cards. I was literally worried they might disappear quickly, plus I got an insane deal on one that was much cheaper than what they cost.

DaGwaphics

I greatly disagree on this point. I ain't trying to open up my games console just to swap in more space. I want it to be a quick plug and play solution like the Series consoles expansion card. It's expensive, true, but that type of convenience tends to come with a cost. I'll take that over having to unplug the damn console, open it up and install an SSD. I reserve that kind of stuff for my PC, not my games console that's attached to my OLED.

Only thing that is valid is that maybe they should have gone with longer 80mm drives vs. the 30mm. Might have even cut the costs in half on the drives.

Once you move on to higher internal storage numbers these drives won't matter that much anyway.

Topher

Gold Member
Price is obviously the problem for XSX. So why is it Seagate is the only supplier still? No competition at all for XSX expansion. That's a problem and Microsoft needs to address it.

DaGwaphics

Price is obviously the problem for XSX. So why is it Seagate is the only supplier still? No competition at all for XSX expansion. That's a problem and Microsoft needs to address it.

This is one of those products where more companies bringing out options likely wouldn't change pricing much. You have a very specific customer here, that is likely only a small percentage of Series users to begin with. Dividing those buyers among many manufactures could just damage the scale of production for everyone. You are going to pay more for a proprietary product, but MS isn't actually doing too bad here considering the cost of similar drives on the open market (either 2230 drives or Cf Express). They should release a larger (in length, haha) option for users that don't care if it sticks out further and just want better pricing.

Topher

Gold Member
This is one of those products where more companies bringing out options likely wouldn't change pricing much. You have a very specific customer here, that is likely only a small percentage of Series users to begin with. Dividing those buyers among many manufactures could just damage the scale of production for everyone. You are going to pay more for a proprietary product, but MS isn't actually doing too bad here considering the cost of similar drives on the open market (either 2230 drives or Cf Express). They should release a larger (in length, haha) option for users that don't care if it sticks out further and just want better pricing.

Good points. They could also just release their own adapter for standard SSD. That would be a pro-consumer move, but not as lucrative so probably not going to happen.

I like that even if you start small with the PS5 expansion, you can always use it as external/internal storage with a PC if you want to get a bigger size. Can't do jack with an orphaned Series X expansion drive other than sell it.

Iced Arcade

You realise that soon ps5 ssd will be just as cheap as external ssd right, with the ease of use, it’s a no brainier. Xbox will stuck with overpriced crap, that only a few can afford,
Didn't take the time to read my post huh.

I literally said "Proprietary anything should be illegal" aka the Xbox storage solution in this case.

And I use externals that I currently already have kicking around which works fine for just storing games I'm currently not playing.

Topher

Gold Member
Didn't take the time to read my post huh.

I literally said "Proprietary anything should be illegal" aka the Xbox storage solution in this case.

And I use externals that I currently already have kicking around which works fine for just storing games I'm currently not playing.

What is it, man? The Darth Vader watching TV avatar? People give you shit for no reason. You make a habit of kicking folks in the shin or something? Don't be such an asshole.

:messenger_sunglasses:

Iced Arcade

What is it, man? The Darth Vader watching TV avatar? People give you shit for no reason. You make a habit of kicking folks in the shin or something? Don't be such an asshole.

:messenger_sunglasses:
AI6WXrH.jpg

Like I said, I agree with the ease of swapping with XSX. Yes, I have both XSX and PS5, but I haven't had need of storage at this point.
Price is an issue, but SONY method has it's own issues. I really wish the memory slot was at the front of the Series X, rather than the back .

To give SONY credit they done a better job on the games front so far and that's the most important thing.

mdkirby

nah, internet speeds are so fast these days, it only takes 15 mins to download a game. Ive filled the drive multiple times, but never felt the need for more storage. Just delete something then re download stuff you need it.

The Dual Sense controller on the other hand, that's a major difference. I've actively bought several games for PS5 over 'playing them for free' on the series X, just because they would feel a lesser experience without the Dual Sense features. It's the main reason im gutted about having to play future Arkane and Bethesda games on the X.

Famipan

As long as the PS5 UI is a mess for managing large libraries I won’t upgrade.
Would love to see PS3-style text list of games with SMALLER icons. Those HUGE game icons takes up lots of space and it’s not pleasant to scroll through hundreds of games.
Custom folders needs to be improved too with more editing possibilities of already created folders (eg. you can’t move the folders around once created!).

Still using cheap Samsung QVO 1TB for PS4 games which works great and I have fast no data cap internet.
And having less games installed makes it easier to tackle the backlog.

Last edited:
Yep. Another reason why it sucks that Seagate is the only option for Xbox storage expansion. Check out the non-sale price for their standard 2TB SSD.

GYM7HfG.png

Yep Seagate has to compete with many other manufacturers with the NVME. It's why they can't afford to charge extremely high prices for it. Unlike on Xbox where they have a monopoly.

Top Bottom