• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like the Xbox Series S is a waste of time & I don't understand why Microsoft made such a console like the Series S.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some of you guys are delusional, seriously. You think that ms made an entire new console in a matter of months because Sony announced a digital console? Never mind the fact that the console is in the background on a few videos from ms, and also digital foundry were shown it long before the reveal, or the leaks about ms having a 2 console approach to this gen from before any next gen console was revealed, you think it was a reaction to Sony? Lol. Absurd.

If anything, the PS5 DE and its pricing is a reaction to the series S coming out and undercutting them massively on price. Even this is unlikely.

I swear some of you guys have zero idea how any of this business or the real world works.
Maybe re read that post again?

Its not too crazy that the PS5DE was unexpected. That's not saying that the Series S is a reaction to it, just that they were not expecting it and were expecting only one PS5.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
He's right, and you aren't. There's a difference between $1,000 and $10,000. But $300 and $500? It's basically the same price over the period of 7 years. If you can't walk to the store right now and pay $300 for something without breaking a sweat, you shouldn't be spending the money.
Suppose I have $500 and an $150 electric bill. Do I 1) Buy the $500 console and not pay the electric bill or 2) Buy the $300 console and pay the electric bill?

I don't disagree. I'm a VR and PC user and I can't be bothered with inferior experiences that require heavy compromises. I pay a premium for that. However, if you view $200 as a lot of money (casual or otherwise), console/PC gaming may not be the right hobby for you.
You're missing the point. 200 dollars is a lot to some casual gamers because they won't use the console a lot. Some of the casual gamers literally want to play Madden and COD when it drops for a few months and never touch the console again until next year. And as I said before, consoles offer nothing of value anymore outside of cheap and convenient gaming so it will just collect dust 90% of the year. Why spend the extra 200 dollars a year when you know you will hardly play the console?

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Absolutely, but people are not good with money in general, and almost double the price for the big boi consoles is a significant jump that is beyond many people. Like others have said, if you’ve budgeted $300 for a console, $500 is out of the question. Even people that can afford it won’t spend $500 if they’re only budgeted $300. Where does it stop - oh if you can afford 500 you can afford 900? If you can afford 1000 you can afford 1500?

People are not good with money -- I agree with this.

My point of comparing $300 with $500 is that if you need to worry about budgeting $300 for something recreational, then you probably shouldn't be spending $300 period. People aren't good with money though, and gaming is a hobby filled with needless spending.

magaman

Banned
You're missing the point. 200 dollars is a lot to some casual gamers because they won't use the console a lot. Some of the casual gamers literally want to play Madden and COD when it drops for a few months and never touch the console again until next year. And as I said before, consoles offer nothing of value anymore outside of cheap and convenient gaming so it will just collect dust 90% of the year.
You're missing the point. If $200 is a lot to you, you don't need to be spending the money. If you are going to play a console a few times a year, then you should only buy it if it's a no-brainer and you have $300+ to flush away.

You're missing the point. If $200 is a lot to you, you don't need to be spending the money. If you are going to play a console a few times a year, then you should only buy it if it's a no-brainer and you have $300+ to flush away.
Or maybe they are being smart with their money. Would you spend 200 extra dollars on a product that you will hardly use or save the money like a responsible adult?

magaman

Banned
Or maybe they are being smart with their money. Would you spend 200 extra dollars on a product that you will hardly use or save the money like a responsible adult?
I wouldn't buy the product because I don't buy things I don't need. But if I had to make a choice, of course I'd buy the cheaper product. So I suppose "smart with money" is relative here.

MrFunSocks

Banned
People are not good with money -- I agree with this.

My point of comparing $300 with $500 is that if you need to worry about budgeting $300 for something recreational, then you probably shouldn't be spending $300 period. People aren't good with money though, and gaming is a hobby filled with needless spending.
Absolutely, they shouldn’t be buying a game console. Gaming is an expensive hobby.

People still will though, so a $200 difference is huge to a lot of people. You only need to look on here and on reeee and reddit etc to see people screaming poor and needing stimulus money, only to also say they’ll buy a game console with it lol. People are dumb, and dumb people are usually financially stupid. They live pay cheque to pay cheque not just because they don’t earn much money, but because they make bad financial decisions.

People on here bitch about a $10 RRP increase of games ffs. They buy probably 2 games a year at that price anyway, but because they’re already spending outside their means it’s a big deal.

magaman

Banned
Absolutely, they shouldn’t be buying a game console. Gaming is an expensive hobby.

People still will though, so a $200 difference is huge to a lot of people. You only need to look on here and on reeee and reddit etc to see people screaming poor and needing stimulus money, only to also say they’ll buy a game console with it lol. People are dumb, and dumb people are usually financially stupid. They live pay cheque to pay cheque not just because they don’t earn much money, but because they make bad financial decisions.

People on here bitch about a $10 RRP increase of games ffs. They buy probably 2 games a year at that price anyway, but because they’re already spending outside their means it’s a big deal.

I don't disagree with any of this.

I wouldn't buy the product because I don't buy things I don't need. But if I had to make a choice, of course I'd buy the cheaper product. So I suppose "smart with money" is relative here.
Okay, I guess you don't buy consoles or gaming PCs because you don't need to.

Entroyp

It’s the same power or more than a PS5 for $100 less (according to Tom Warren and others). Ain’t that amazing value?

Justin9mm

Not useless at all. It's a mouse trap, and it convinces people that it'll provide them the next-gen experience at a low price.

Otherwise, yes, it's bad news for gamers because games are built against the lowest common denominator. If you think the Series S won't hold back the Series X, you're sorely mistaken. Developers will now have to make sure that whatever works on big brother (X) will also work on little brother (S) too.

It takes time, effort, and energy for this to happen. It's not a flick of a switch.
And that is why PlayStation Exclusives will lead and be console sellers yet again!

magaman

Banned
Okay, I guess you don't buy consoles or gaming PCs because you don't need to.

That's correct. I have equipment for work that I use secondarily for games. You won't catch me dead with anything at full price, and almost no software that isn't secondhand or deeply discounted.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
I'm pretty sure you don't need a gaming pc for work and it seems that you're a pirate.

Have you ever heard of selling CD keys via G2A or Kinguin, or buying Steam accounts? There's this thing called the internet.

I'm pretty sure that my line of work requires heavy design resources - a monster GPU, tons of RAM, whatnot. But then again, you seem to know all the answers.

Last edited:

gtrwll

Well I’ve had it for a month, and I think at this point it was the choice that made the most sense. While the digital PS5 is only 100€ more it doesn’t have Game Pass or anything equivalent, so I would be locked to buying everything digitally from PS Store, and that raises the total investment made significantly.

XSX on the other hand has Game Pass, but not really games that utilize the power of the console fully. At least not yet. And I value gameplay and story much higher than visuals, so in the end I don’t really care if the game I play isn’t running on the best possible graphical settings.

Then there’s also the form factor. I don’t think I could fit either of the ”true” next-gen consoles to my gaming rig without placing them on the floor.

Zog

Banned
That's correct. I have equipment for work that I use secondarily for games. You won't catch me dead with anything at full price, and almost no software that isn't secondhand or deeply discounted.
McDonald's doesn't let employees play games on their computers.

LOL, just kidding.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Maybe re read that post again?

Its not too crazy that the PS5DE was unexpected. That's not saying that the Series S is a reaction to it, just that they were not expecting it and were expecting only one PS5.
Ok sorry, I misinterpreted that last bit as them making it in in reaction to, rather than them not expecting it.

I still completely disagree. Both console makers know what the other is doing. The only time it changes is in relation to public reception. From all reports and leaks the ps4 was going to be bundled with the camera and also possibly have online drm. After all, Sony were the ones that introduced the online pass. After ms’s conference they supposedly ditched the camera in the box and reduced the price and also made the sharing video.

MS were making the Series S regardless of what Sony were doing because they’ve made no mistake about their intentions and desire to grab a much larger market than the usual console buyers.

Am I going absolutely nuts, does everybody understand why there is still a market for mid-range graphics cards in a world of fancy brand new $1500 ones? Or why people buy Japanese-made cruisers when Harleys exist at a much higher price.

MS isn't selling boxes, their selling Gamepass subs. They don't care whether you get a Series X as your main device, a Series S as a secondary console, or not even buy a box, and just stream it when X Cloud fully rolls out. They just want your $15 per month.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Series S is for those who have no plans to upgrade their TV to 4K/120hz/HDR, don't want to spend a lot of money but still be able to get into next gen gaming for the next 6-8 years and for those who want it as a complimentary console next to their primary console.

Xbox Series S is not for me but it's a brilliant idea that will outsell the Series X come 2022 and beyond as it's a cheap entry point and considering how the world is and that it could get worse, having a cheap $300 console is one hell of a smart decision.

The only negative is that it's digital only. If there was a disc slot, it would be even more of a steal at $300. All depends on what the consumer is looking for and how much money they want to spend.

Kagey K

Banned
Why does the Samsung 6 series exist when they have an 8 series? why is there an LG BX and CX?

You see so many here argue that they aren’t going to pay hundreds more for a TV with HDMI 2.1, when they can get something similar for Cheaper.

Now translate that same thinking to consoles.

Last edited:
I have two cousins who bought a Series S for their kid(s) this Christmas. I think it might be hard for the kind of dedicated gamers on here to understand, but the cheapest console is usually what parents go for. This basically replaces the One S in the lineup. Is there a cheaper or easier way to get something for your kids to play Minecraft, Fortnite, or Roblox on?

Hydroxy

Microsoft already made it clear why Series S exists.
1. Cheaper consoles usually sell more.
2. Microsoft believes that Series X production may not get much cheaper in the future hence a cheaper console was required.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Am I going absolutely nuts, does everybody understand why there is still a market for mid-range graphics cards in a world of fancy brand new $1500 ones? Or why people buy Japanese-made cruisers when Harleys exist at a much higher price.

MS isn't selling boxes, their selling Gamepass subs. They don't care whether you get a Series X as your main device, a Series S as a secondary console, or not even buy a box, and just stream it when X Cloud fully rolls out. They just want your $15 per month.

meh. I dont think MS’ masterplan was gamepass, they put more focus on it when hardware sales started tanking. And in the long run I dont really see MS as the best candidate to become the Netflix of gaming seeing as they suck at exclusive content. Unless their plan is to just keep buying every IP and studio.

Kagey K

Banned
meh. I dont think MS’ masterplan was gamepass, they put more focus on it when hardware sales started tanking. And in the long run I dont really see MS as the best candidate to become the Netflix of gaming seeing as they suck at exclusive content. Unless their plan is to just keep buying every IP and studio.
shocked gif GIF

You delivered the same quality nonsense as usual.

Congrats.

I look forward to the day you stop repeating yourself.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
" It feels just like the Xbox One and plays like it too. I don't see any difference in performance and visuals"

I would seriously get your eyes checked.

Watch Dogs Legion, see the Ray Tracing , you can't see that?

Valhalla, it runs at twice the framerate, that isn't performing the same at all.

Warzone, it runs at 120fps instead of nearer 40fps on Xbox One, anyone could tell that instantly.

Dirt 5 it can run at 120fps instead of about 40fps on Xbox One.

Loading times are a fraction of Xbox One.

Quick Resume, you didn't notice that?

Gears 5 runs at twice the framerate with upgraded visuals.

I could go on but it's pointless, it would be like saying you couldn't tell the difference between a PS5 and a PS4 Pro.

I bought a Series X for myself and a Series S for my partner. The latter is hooked up to a 1080p monitor, while the Series X is rocking on a 4K HDR set. Aside from the differences in size, resolution and the lack of HDR on the monitor, games I tried run and look virtually the same, but with the added benefit of the fast SSD, Quick Resume and all the other new features. It's a console that costs 40% less, but does a fine job if you're not a graphics maniac, on a tighter budget and, most importantly, aren't planning to upgrade to 4K and beyond anytime soon.

You're missing the point. 200 dollars is a lot to some casual gamers because they won't use the console a lot. Some of the casual gamers literally want to play Madden and COD when it drops for a few months and never touch the console again until next year. And as I said before, consoles offer nothing of value anymore outside of cheap and convenient gaming so it will just collect dust 90% of the year. Why spend the extra 200 dollars a year when you know you will hardly play the console?
You're right. Xbox Series S offers value for casual consumers for the like of Xbox Game Pass, compared to £70/$70/€80 games.

Chukhopops

I think the Series S was based on the assumption that Sony would go 499/599 instead of 399/499. It’s a clever product but not at the right price point yet since there’s not a massive difference with the PS5 DE.

At 50€ less or bundled with 6 months of GP (or bundled with FIFA or CoD) it becomes really interesting for:
- people with tight budgets
- second console for kids (since it’s very easy to share the same account in the same household)
- people who want a media center option that’s not a giant white spaceship

Right now MS sells aggressive bundles with GP but only for the One S, in order to finish the stocks. Once it’s done I believe they will be more aggressive on the Series S too.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the Series S was based on the assumption that Sony would go 499/599 instead of 399/499. It’s a clever product but not at the right price point yet since there’s not a massive difference with the PS5 DE.

At 50€ less or bundled with 6 months of GP (or bundled with FIFA or CoD) it becomes really interesting for:
- people with tight budgets
- second console for kids (since it’s very easy to share the same account in the same household)
- people who want a media center option that’s not a giant white spaceship

Right now MS sells aggressive bundles with GP but only for the One S, in order to finish the stocks. Once it’s done I believe they will be more aggressive on the Series S too.
Agreed on the pricing and their positioning of XSX and XSS. I do not think they were prepared for Sony’s SKU’s and their pricing which worked really well for Sony.

I think there are much cheaper media center options once you take disc movies playback out of the equation and with some of them you are a Bluetooth controller away from gaming too.

This is also a race against time, against 4K TV’s adoption and XSS has already fallen behind the marketing promise of XSX visuals at 1440p and I think this message got to the public too.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
" It feels just like the Xbox One and plays like it too. I don't see any difference in performance and visuals"

I would seriously get your eyes checked.

Watch Dogs Legion, see the Ray Tracing , you can't see that?

Valhalla, it runs at twice the framerate, that isn't performing the same at all.

Warzone, it runs at 120fps instead of nearer 40fps on Xbox One, anyone could tell that instantly.

Dirt 5 it can run at 120fps instead of about 40fps on Xbox One.

Loading times are a fraction of Xbox One.

Quick Resume, you didn't notice that?

Gears 5 runs at twice the framerate with upgraded visuals.

I could go on but it's pointless, it would be like saying you couldn't tell the difference between a PS5 and a PS4 Pro.

Agreed, the s is a massive step up from a regular xbox one.

I wonder how this whole conversation goes next christmas if the elite consoles are at the same price and the series s is $199 and is flying off the shelves still.

BigLee74

Your xbox plays like an xbox? You see no difference in performance? Okaaaay.

My son got one for his Xmas, and he loves it compared to his one S. He loves how small it is, how quiet it is, and how his old crappy running games now run well (he's particularly happy with Ark).

He also only has a 1080p TV, and so the X would have been overkill.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I wonder how this whole conversation goes next christmas if the elite consoles are at the same price and the series s is $199 and is flying off the shelves still.
I think they rather make a new half step update XSS Pro and XSX Pro a few years more down the line than cut the price of the XSS massively and also increase its volumes, but sure they may discount that much it if they wanted to clear existing stocks.

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly.

Microsoft seem pretty adamant we are not going to see the big die shrinks and therefore cost reductions that previous gens have given us, so you have to presume that goes for Sony too.
In the UK the Series S has started at £249, looking on Amazon today that's cheaper than a PS4 and Xbox One S.

How long before it gets to £199? That would be amazing value for what you get. I use mine as a second console on the bedroom on a 1080p TV, it basically gives me a similar experience to my Series X when the rest of the family is on the main TV.

I see it as a bedroom console myself, perfect for kids as it's small, powerful, totally quiet, cheap and can play Fortnite, Minecraft, Call Of Duty and GTA no problems, I wouldn't use it as my main console bit it has its place.

Top Bottom