• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

yes. Add Redfall to the list

Caio

The contenders should be not only these mentioned games; Zelda, BG3, FFXVI, Starfield, Lies of P and Spiderman2 should be all in the list. Who will win ? If you ask me, it's between Zelda and BG3.

Mowcno

Metacritic rankings this year:

#1 - Baldurs Gate 3
#2 - Tears of the Kingdom
#50 - Final Fantasy XVI
#~110 - Starfield

Of course the rankings are full of games above FFXVI and Starfield that never have a shot as they are indies, ports, remasters or in genres that don't typically win (Street Fighter 6). Starfield can be YOUR personal goty but saying it should be one of the main contenders generally on a shortlist is silly. Critics have already spoken.

Doom85

I suspect TOTK will win based on the franchise name and the company who made it, Nintendo.

If we’re talking TGA’s GOTY, I doubt Geoff and crew will let that factor too much in their decision making. Maybe other major companies’ games, but does Nintendo announce/debut any of their first party games there much anyway? So if they got pissed about losing and cut ties with TGA, not a major loss, but I don’t see Nintendo as the sort of company that would get that upset over something like this anyway.

Regardless of what one thinks about Geoff, it’s obvious he has some degree of passion for the industry. He had Kojima’s back after the whole Konami ordeal and has shown support for him since. I think he surely has noticed the general thoughts and conversations BG 3 has caused and the way it has made a massive step forward for its genre. If BOTW was a “guaranteed win” for how much it pushed forward its genre (even if that year I far preferred Nier Automata. I played BOTW for 15-20 hours, stopped as I did not like the weapon durability and a few other factors, and honestly wouldn’t even think about it that much if it wasn’t the sort of game people will always talk about), then by the same logic BG 3 should be a “guaranteed win” for achieving the same thing.

You have to admit, 2023 has been one heck of a year for gamers.
Hogwart's Legacy
RE4 remake
TotK
BG3
FF16
Starfield
And there are still heavy hitters coming up...

TOTK is the only one of those even close to deserving GOTY and it’s still far below BG3.

Your list of three games is atrocious OP, feel bad. Hopefully it’s just blatant console warring, that would be better than having taste that bad.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I suspect TOTK will win based on the franchise name and the company who made it, Nintendo. All the named contentenders are extremely flawed and disappointing games especially namely FF16 and Starfield. I think only TOTK can overcome the flaws. TOTK is not as good as BOTW, and the building mechanic is really the only thing setting it apart. Some might rank Hogswarts as a contender, and I wouldn't blame them.
Only Breath of the Wild has won the GOTY, no other Nintendo game has and the only other that is even close is OoT and back then those awards wasn’t much of a thing, in 2019 they gave it to Sekiro a game not that high profile, new IP and not that well received either (90 on MC),
It will be between Zelda and Baldur's Gate 3.
Zelda will win because is more mass market.
Yea mass market, just like how God of War beat Red Dead cuz it is more “mass market” and exactly how Elden Ring beat Ragnorak because it is more mass market, mass market is a huge factor when they pick the winner

Topher

Gold Member
My GOTY shortlist so far....

BG3
Hogwart's Legacy
Starfield

Haven't played enough of ToTK or FFXVI to have an opinion yet.

Only Breath of the Wild has won the GOTY, no other Nintendo game has and the only other that is even close is OoT and back then those awards wasn’t much of a thing, in 2019 they gave it to Sekiro a game not that high profile, new IP and not that well received either (90 on MC),

Yea mass market, just like how God of War beat Red Dead cuz it is more “mass market” and exactly how Elden Ring beat Ragnorak because it is more mass market, mass market is a huge factor when they pick the winner

What do you mean "mass market"? Sales?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haven’t seen a single mention of Super Mario Wonder. Game looks extremely good and will have deeper mechanics/more challenge than those mega budget cinematic games.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My top 3 games of the year so far

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Starfield
3. Sea of Stars

Expecting Spider Man and Like a Dragon: Man Who Erased His Name to be great and possible contenders to enter the top 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BG3 definitely has to be in the conversation. Spiderman, no matter how good is in a bit too late to really figure. If it gets mega-hype you'd still have to factor in recency bias -which is a real weighting factor-to be truly fair.

FFXVI was the best Final Fantasy since X, but let's be clear it isn't even a part of the GOTY discussion, neither is Starfield.

Mario, RE4, AC6, Spider-Man 2, FF...all good games but none will/have hit like these three:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
  2. TOTK
  3. CP2077: PL

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's been a good year for gaming with a lot of good GOTY candidates.

It is also not impossible to see how one person could prefer an action rpg like Starfield over a crpg like BG3. I don't know why that bothers people.

ungalo

There are a lot of games i didn't play yet but in what i have played nothing seems way ahead of the crowd.

I played ToTK at launch, and it's already forgotten in my book. Soon it will be the same for Starfield. But by default those are probably my GOTY contenders, along with Hifi-Rush.

I loved Phantom Liberty but that's not a game despite its budget.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hogwart's Legacy

People forget that because it was so early in the year, but I think it was better than a lot of games being declared GOTY. Consistent from start to finish and a great HP story. Captured the IP better than any game before it. Was absolutely gorgeous. Honestly besides Zelda it's really one of the few games this year where you really feel you got your value out of it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
FFXVI fails to live up to the promise of its first act, and pretty much falls apart long before the end. No where near GOTY material.

Starfield is in the conversation, depending on your tastes, but you'd have a much easier time making that case if you switched out FFXVI for Baldur's Gate 3.

Didn't play TotK yet, thought BotW was a mixed bag, but I will get to it eventually.

I don't know if you're allowed to make a game GOTY in a year other than the one it came out, but Cyberpunk 2077 might be my dark horse pick.

Topher

Gold Member
People forget that because it was so early in the year, but I think it was better than a lot of games being declared GOTY. Consistent from start to finish and a great HP story. Captured the IP better than any game before it. Was absolutely gorgeous. Honestly besides Zelda it's really one of the few games this year where you really feel you got your value out of it.

Hogwart's is the game I keep going back to when I think about games I've enjoyed the most this year. Somehow it isn't included much in the GOTY conversation, but I think it should be.

Zheph

FFXVI fails to live up to the promise of its first act, and pretty much falls apart long before the end. No where near GOTY material.

Starfield is in the conversation, depending on your tastes, but you'd have a much easier time making that case if you switched out FFXVI for Baldur's Gate 3.

Didn't play TotK yet, thought BotW was a mixed bag, but I will get to it eventually.

I don't know if you're allowed to make a game GOTY in a year other than the one it came out, but Cyberpunk 2077 might be my dark horse pick.
Starfield is a bigger offender than XVI here sorry

Cashon

Banned
In my estimation, in terms of critical consensus, there will be two games that garner the bulk of awards. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Baulder's Gate III.

This doesn't reflect my own opinion on the quality of these games, as I have yet to play either of them (I want a physical copy of Baulder's Gate III and will keep waiting until one comes out).

RickMasters

it's good to know that you had fun playing those but Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2 are solid contenders too, although the last 2 are yet to release.

Forgot to add Resident Evil 4 remake and Dead Space remake. Solid year.
For real. As much as people have been complaining. We’ve had some good games come out this year.

rofif

Banned
Hogwart's is the game I keep going back to when I think about games I've enjoyed the most this year. Somehow it isn't included much in the GOTY conversation, but I think it should be.
yeah me too. It's such a pleasant game to go back too.

MiguelItUp

Eh, it's an opinionated list, and that's fine. IMO not listing Baldur's Gate 3 is a crime. Could also use...

Resident Evil 4 Remake
Dead Space Remake
Hogwart's Legacy

diffusionx

Gold Member
TOTK is great, no argument there, it's in the running for sure. But FFXVI? Come on man. That is a major disappointment. I mean this is all subjective but it's not even going to get close to most of these "major" awards.

rofif

Banned
BG3 really is that good?
I've checked multiple vids from it... it seems good for an isometric rpg, old school like icewind dale 2 or something. but is it more than that ?
It's certainly not everyones cup of tea.

Top Bottom