• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't remember the name of this Movie/Cartoon/Song/etc.

cajunator

Banned
I remember some old animated movie and it had evil trolls and they would reach into windows and eat kids and there was one of the trolls/giants who was good and not a threat to kids and I think he had to stop the evil ones or otherwise save some kids.

Kaban

Here's one that may be a little too specific but oh well. It's a piece of archival music used in Clone High, during this Scudworth/Butlertron dance.

http://youtu.be/Tn4MulRm3yo?t=3m23s

It comes back again at 5:20. I know I've heard that music in other shows before, and I've been dying to know the name. Any help?

I remember some old animated movie and it had evil trolls and they would reach into windows and eat kids and there was one of the trolls/giants who was good and not a threat to kids and I think he had to stop the evil ones or otherwise save some kids.

sounds like The BFG, originally a book by Roald Dahl.

So I only have really vague memories of these two shows I watched in the 90's but hopefully someone can help me.

The first one was a show in which a guy was given a different riddle each episode by this talking statue, and he would have to retrieve the appropriate item to place in a bowl at the base of the statue. I remember one episode tasked him with retrieving the talon of a bird which could not fly, which at first the he thought was just a chicken but it ended up being a manta ray or something.

Second show, and my memories of this one are much vaguer, was about this eskimo kid who was out searching for a legendary eskimo. For some reason I recall a scene in which I think the kid found him standing still in the middle of a snowstorm, but was too scared to approach him.

I might be completely misremembering that second one there, but I'm confident about the details regarding the first one. For the life of me I cannot remember the name though.

Need help finding an artist - I was listening to a channel on Sirius with chill electronic music and there was a great song on there that reminded me a lot of Pogo's music (links below), specifically Wishery. It was by a guy with first name of A and last name of B but I can't remember who he was. It was something like Alexander Beyman or something like that? Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1bG6BIYlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Za-V_lhwGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

lednerg

Need help finding an artist - I was listening to a channel on Sirius with chill electronic music and there was a great song on there that reminded me a lot of Pogo's music (links below), specifically Wishery. It was by a guy with first name of A and last name of B but I can't remember who he was. It was something like Alexander Beyman or something like that? Any ideas?

...[/QUOTE] If you can narrow dow...tp://www.dogstarradio.com/search_playlist.php

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1bG6BIYlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Za-V_lhwGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

The only artist I know that does stuff like Pogo is Jeesh:

http://jeesh.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/jeesh

Probably not who you're looking for, but that's all I got.

EDIT: nvm, you found who you were looking for.

My wife can't remember this movie that we apparently watched together. It doesn't make any sense to me and I reckon it was a dream she had. Bare with me here. This is a Facebook message she sent to my cousin:

I've heard this story over and over for 7 years now and I have no idea what she is talking about. If anyone can help me, Gaf surely can.

There are some elements from Nick of Time there but in other ways it sounds pretty different

http://youtu.be/o6trRzB8fiA

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So the thread about horror movie icons got me thinking about a horror movie I saw part of a while back that I don't remember. Here's what I do know:

-I think it was on SciFi. It looked kinda B-movie, but I don't know think it was a 'SciFi Original' tier film
-Revolves around some monster that was at one time human but has been mutated by gaining a bunch of different animal genes. It's a quadraped and the size of a large truck and kinda otherworldly.
-It's wreaking havoc in something like a museum?
-One small scene where there's an asian male trying to escape, thinks he's gotten away, but sees the monster in a reflection and gets killed off-camera, with just blood spray and a latent use of a Howie Scream.
-The main hero kills the monster with a huge fireball somehow and survives by sealing himself in some giant tank full of water.

That's all I got. Thanks.

So the thread about horror movie icons got me thinking about a horror movie I saw part of a while back that I don't remember. Here's what I do know:

-I think it was on SciFi. It looked kinda B-movie, but I don't know think it was a 'SciFi Original' tier film
-Revolves around some monster that was at one time human but has been mutated by gaining a bunch of different animal genes. It's a quadraped and the size of a large truck and kinda otherworldly.
-It's wreaking havoc in something like a museum?
-One small scene where there's an asian male trying to escape, thinks he's gotten away, but sees the monster in a reflection and gets killed off-camera, with just blood spray and a latent use of a Howie Scream.
-The main hero kills the monster with a huge fireball somehow and survives by sealing himself in some giant tank full of water.

That's all I got. Thanks.

I want to say either The Relic or Mimic? Sounds vaguely familiar and I never remember for sure which is which. I THINK The Relic (or just Relic?) is in a museum.

I'm trying to remember the name of a children's book I had when I was young. I think it was about some kid who met some weird guy (who might have been a night watchmen or janitor or something?) who used a vacuum to suck up coins. Which may or may not have rained from the sky at night. And I think the kid had a hat.

So in this Asian movie the girl opens her door and slits her wrist and then she flexes her arm spraying blood from the cut into her fathers face.

Also they were twins and the father didn't know, in the end the other twin tried to kill the other if I remember right,

It was some weird dark movie I watched it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

mclem

Now, here's two tough ones; both are - I think - puzzle books with a key gimmick. Now I have nieces, I'm curious if they still exist because I think they would take to them.

Regarding the sort of gimmick in question: When I was young, I was very fond of the Questron line - educational books that came with a electronic pen; Answers to questions would be linked to a box; and if you pushed the pen on the box with the correct answer, it'd give a 'win' sound; if not, you'd get a 'lose' sound. There were quite a few things in that range with various complexities of pen (I recall the 'challenger' which had timers and 'lives' as well).

I'm not actually talking about the Questron line directly, but that's the *sort* of product I'm talking about: Educational puzzles and quizzes linked with a device that verifies your answer in some way. I *think* they're books - I know for certain that the first one is - but it's possible that they came in some other (gamey?) format.

The first was an educational quiz book that came with a simple blue plastic frame. There were holes in the frame; with switches you could change the shape of the hole (I *think* circle, square and triangle). You'd go through the quiz setting the shapes that correspond to the correct answer, then line the frame up over a jumble of shapes on the side of the page; looking through the holes, you want to check that the holes in the frame match up with the shapes visible below it.

The second is something I encountered buried in an old UK school storeroom; my gut would place it from the 70's or so. You'd have a tray of sixteen tiles, looking something like a sliding block puzzle. The tiles had numbers on one side, colours on the other. In this, the associated puzzle/quiz book (or maybe cards?) would challenge you to arrange the tiles in the tray in a prescribed way to answer the questions (I think depicted as "The top-left question being "What A is a big red fruit", and answer 5 being an apple, so you'd put tile 5 in the top-left). After answering all of those, you'd close the frame and flip it, and you'd now have an arrangement of colours visible through windows, which you'd compare against the answer key.
If it's any help, for this second one, I've got something like "Mastermind" in mind for the name of it. I doubt it actually *is* Mastermind, but it might be something along those lines.

I was going to list a third one, too, but I've just remembered it in amongst all the rest: It's Brainy Blocks:
Devm61L.gif

lazygecko

I remember watching an old corny sci-fi movie. Could have been a TV series, but I'm pretty sure it was a movie. I think the plot revolved around an airplane that somehow ends up in a different dimension or another planet or something.

And no, it wasn't The Langoliers.

lazygecko

I think the movie is probably from the 80's or late 70's at most. There is one distinct scene I remember with a cyborg guy who had some kind of ED-209 armor over his upper body. I think the lower half of his body was butt naked.

Gorger

Alright this is about a movie I watched ages ago on the TV.

It felt like a low budget comedy-ish film which was kinda similar to Karate Kid. A white guy being trained in martial arts by an asian master, just that this time the master is really rude, but funny and mocks him and western culture.

That's pretty much all I remember.

zeemumu

So I only have really vague memories of these two shows I watched in the 90's but hopefully someone can help me.

The first one was a show in which a guy was given a different riddle each episode by this talking statue, and he would have to retrieve the appropriate item to place in a bowl at the base of the statue. I remember one episode tasked him with retrieving the talon of a bird which could not fly, which at first the he thought was just a chicken but it ended up being a manta ray or something.

Sounded like Legends of the Hidden Temple until you got to the bird part.

I remember watching an old corny sci-fi movie. Could have been a TV series, but I'm pretty sure it was a movie. I think the plot revolved around an airplane that somehow ends up in a different dimension or another planet or something.

And no, it wasn't The Langoliers.

Twlight Zone- The Odyssey of Flight 33?

A cartoon where a little blonde girl befriends a koala that lives in a eucalyptus tree outside her bedroom window? Can't remember the name of this show for the life of me! It would have been late 80s early 90s.

Kinokou

I got two cartoons haven't been able to find on google yet.

The first is about an African boy in a zoo who exchanges life stories with a wolf. The boy used to be a shepherd, I think, and wanted to feed the lions so they wouldn't hunt his flock, while the wolf focused on his sister who I remember looking golden and kind of glowing in the snow.

The second is probably a movie about a polar bear cub having to become king of all bears or something by climbing up a waterfall.

Erv

Trying to remember a movie where this kid uses rc cars to thwart bad guys plans, not home alone.the kid has a Godzilla toy and the beginning starts off with him racing cars in his attic

So the movie is a black and white horror movie, the main character is a girl and at the end we find out she died before the movie started or at the beginning when her car went of the road(into a body of water iirc). Also during the the last part of the movie there isn't much dialogue just eerie music.

Trying to remember an early 00's animated music video. It was made in a 8 or 16 bit style as a kind of side scroller, the graphics were blocky / pixelated but not unsophisticated and with a fairly high 'resolution' if you will. Setting was fairly simple, like moving through city streets. Electronic music probably. Can't even remember if I actually liked it, but I would love to see it again. I think it released around the time of Faithless' 'we come one' track (though could be anywhere from '01 to late '03 maybe).

It is not 'move your feet' by Junior Junior.

It is not either 'scratched' or 'am i wrong' by Etienne de Crecy.

(It is also not one of the songs in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395385 )

Alright this is about a movie I watched ages ago on the TV.

It felt like a low budget comedy-ish film which was kinda similar to Karate Kid. A white guy being trained in martial arts by an asian master, just that this time the master is really rude, but funny and mocks him and western culture.

That's pretty much all I remember.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

So the movie is a black and white horror movie, the main character is a girl and at the end we find out she died before the movie started or at the beginning when her car went of the road(into a body of water iirc). Also during the the last part of the movie there isn't much dialogue just eerie music.

Carnival of Souls

Ronabo

Trying to remember an early 00's animated music video. It was made in a 8 or 16 bit style as a kind of side scroller, the graphics were blocky / pixelated but not unsophisticated and with a fairly high 'resolution' if you will. Setting was fairly simple, like moving through city streets. Electronic music probably. Can't even remember if I actually liked it, but I would love to see it again. I think it released around the time of Faithless' 'we come one' track (though could be anywhere from '01 to late '03 maybe).

(It is also not one of the songs in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395385 )

It's not this, is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfouqNtKtoQ

luso

This probably will not be easy...

Saw on TV back in the (probably late) nineties what it appeared a dance play done or adapted for TV, there was no audience and the shots were done from several POV, within the scenes sometimes.

Part (or all) happened on some sort of cafe, with a balcony and tables with chairs.
There were dancers doing movements using the chairs and tables, sometimes doing almost things as gymnasts, lifting themselves upside down with their arms, and other movements.

One segment I recall was this routine was done while Erik Satie's Gnossiene 1 (most likely) or 3 were played, a dancer used a chair several times and doing almost equilibrium was using his arms to lift himself into the air upside down during this music.

This probably will not be easy...

Saw on TV back in the (probably late) nineties what it appeared a dance play done or adapted for TV, there was no audience and the shots were done from several POV, within the scenes sometimes.

Part (or all) happened on some sort of cafe, with a balcony and tables with chairs.
There were dancers doing movements using the chairs and tables, sometimes doing almost things as gymnasts, lifting themselves upside down with their arms, and other movements.

One segment I recall was this routine was done while Erik Satie's Gnossiene 1 (most likely) or 3 were played, a dancer used a chair several times and doing almost equilibrium was using his arms to lift himself into the air upside down during this music.

Unlikely if it was purely dancing with some gymanstics but any chance you're thinking of a Cirque du Soleil show? They did a series called Solstrom on Bravo back in early 2000s that wasn't done in front of an audience. There was certainly scenes in a cafe sort of setting including some dancing and gymnastics. Mixed in would have been more elaborate performances (trampolines, clowns, etc.) but I figure if you're only remembering a small segment perhaps this is what you're thinking about.

The first episode, "Wind of Romance," was a Romeo and Juliet sort of story with a woman on a balcony that was intermixed amidst the other scenes with the performances.

I tried to find a clip online or some more detailed information but it's extremely tough to find much. I'd have to dig out the DVD set to tell you more if you needed any details to be sure.

luso

Thanks for the tip, it was the nearest description that I have so far but I don't think it was it.

From what I can recall the scenario was what to appeared to be a closed set and also that dancing was always present, more than anything related to gymnastics. No trampolines that I can recall. It approaches more some kind of contemporary dance act than to some show done by Cirque du Soleil.
And unless my memory is playing tricks, this was broadcast still in the 90s, unless you are talking about 2000-2002 at most. I'm talking about a public broadcast station in Europe, not USA one.
But if you have such DVD set, would be great to check them if you have the time.
And by the way, it was not the famous Pina Bausch' "Caffe Muller".

cantona222

I cannot remember this Movie:
It is a direct to TV movie I guess. I saw it around 1994. I believe it is a late 80s movie. It is about students who with their teacher all were kidnapped and kept in a cave for few days. I think they hijacked the school bus. The kidnappers were wearing masks. One of them was wearing a clown mask. That is what I remember.

Ronabo

Is it this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w&feature=youtu.be NSFW

Shining

Here's a tough one. It's a cartoon i watched at a friends place in the early-mid 90's. The only thing i remember about it is a yellow duck going on adventures, lol. Durin the intro of the show i think the duck is in some kind of blue matrix/grid. If i remember correctly it looked something like this:

7597718-perspective-grid-of-blue-luminous-rays-on-black-background.jpg

(It's not Duckman or Tweety)

lednerg

I cannot remember this Movie:
It is a direct to TV movie I guess. I saw it around 1994. I believe it is a late 80s movie. It is about students who with their teacher all were kidnapped and kept in a cave for few days. I think they hijacked the school bus. The kidnappers were wearing masks. One of them was wearing a clown mask. That is what I remember.

Fortress

Chuckie

Here's a tough one. It's a cartoon i watched at a friends place in the early-mid 90's. The only thing i remember about it is a yellow duck going on adventures, lol. Durin the intro of the show i think the duck is in some kind of blue matrix/grid. If i remember correctly it looked something like this:

Alfred J. Kwak?
It doesn't have a blue matrix, but it is about a yellow duck who goes on adventures. It is a Dutch cartoon though.

Slayven

I am tring to remember the name of a UK cartoon about a duck and his mom was always making him worm sandwiches. Use to come on Nickelodeon.

Scoot2005

Banned
Some ww2? movie I recently saw a webm of. Has soldiers in the trenches with one guy standing by a ladder and then another blows a whistle to commence the attack. Tanks, planes and soldiers proceed. Was on Netflix. Anyone know the name?

Top Bottom