• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't remember the name of this Movie/Cartoon/Song/etc.

Ahasverus

This thread is is perfect for what I need. I just remembered a halloween movie from either abc family or disney on tv. I think it was about about some kid who died in a furnace or something at school. All I remember was that there was a lot of pumpkins and some kinda twist about the kid or whoever was doing the haunting/ghost stuff.

tumblr_m2nsxhKaYR1qzvelko1_500.jpg

When Good Ghouls Go Bad

Because Ahasverus was able to help me out last night, I figured I'd try one more. It was a flick I saw as a kid (mid to late 90's) but I'm pretty certain it's an older movie, pre 1980. It has to do with explorers discovering a city at the north pole (or maybe Antarctica). I can't remember much else, although I think the explorers crashed and discovered it by mistake. Anyway, maybe someone knows it? Thanks!

Could be Lost Horizon.

Long shot, but I remember a scifi book or movie that involved a hole in someones closet or apartment that was a sortof void in time and space. The characters put a camera into the hole and shit got crazy.

A pretty barebones description, but i havent stopped thinking about it since reading about it several years ago. The title alludes me and it drives me crazy.

ckohler

Long shot, but I remember a scifi book or movie that involved a hole in someones closet or apartment that was a sortof void in time and space. The characters put a camera into the hole and shit got crazy.

A pretty barebones description, but i havent stopped thinking about it since reading about it several years ago. The title alludes me and it drives me crazy.

Its probably the movie Poltergeist.

Hey fellas, there has been a particular scene of some anime on my mind for a while now and I cannot think of what show it is actually from. I feel like I only saw the one episode of the show, and I don't remember much. Maybe somebody can help. I can't even remember when it was from. Airing maybe on Cartoon Network or wherever Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblade is aired in the U.S., probably between 2000-2006?

Anyway, it was somewhat similar to Pokemon or Digimon or something, where a teenager was going through a land and battling others. The companions/battling things kind of looked like little puppets, maybe?

I remember the main kid beat a really buff military-ish guy who had a cute little puppet guy of his own. The guy who was beaten was working for the bad guys, and was told that his puppet guy was going to be executed if he lost. He loses the fight and disappears.

The final shot of the episode is the guy and his puppet running away, then the main evil guy of the show stops them in a forest, tells the buff guy something like "I told you if you lost he would die", then shoots the cute little puppet guy with lightning and kills him. The military guy is on his knees crying and the episode ends.

This show seemed to be aimed toward kids, and like I said I think I only saw a handful of episodes if that, but this little scene has somehow stuck with me over the years.

Any help would be appreciated, guys. Begging for Nostalgia, I suppose
KuGsj.gif

Hey fellas, there has been a particular scene of some anime on my mind for a while now and I cannot think of what show it is actually from. I feel like I only saw the one episode of the show, and I don't remember much. Maybe somebody can help. I can't even remember when it was from. Airing maybe on Cartoon Network or wherever Yu-Gi-Oh/Beyblade is aired in the U.S., probably between 2000-2006?

Anyway, it was somewhat similar to Pokemon or Digimon or something, where a teenager was going through a land and battling others. The companions/battling things kind of looked like little puppets, maybe?

I remember the main kid beat a really buff military-ish guy who had a cute little puppet guy of his own. The guy who was beaten was working for the bad guys, and was told that his puppet guy was going to be executed if he lost. He loses the fight and disappears.

The final shot of the episode is the guy and his puppet running away, then the main evil guy of the show stops them in a forest, tells the buff guy something like "I told you if you lost he would die", then shoots the cute little puppet guy with lightning and kills him. The military guy is on his knees crying and the episode ends.

This show seemed to be aimed toward kids, and like I said I think I only saw a handful of episodes if that, but this little scene has somehow stuck with me over the years.

Any help would be appreciated, guys. Begging for Nostalgia, I suppose
KuGsj.gif
Was it Zatch Bell! ?

Murky memories when I was young and up late 1 night with my dad and 2 younger brothers. We were watching either a tv show or movie. All I remember is snippets- a man helps a girl escape from "people" who are like her (pale skinned). She possibly hasn't fully changed. Can't remember. They run away and escape by placing a large crucifix in the ground (I think)- pale people don't like crucifixes if memory serves. When they escape the grassy area, they run into a passing (cop?) car the driver and front passenger turn around and it's more of those pale looking fuckers. They turn around and presumably head back to the pale people.
Scared the shit out of me (I would be been 7-10 years old, i'm 33 now) but I only remember those things. I only remember vague things but I'd love to know what the hell I was watching that night cause my childhood memory was that it was creepy! Anyone have ANY idea?

Aeonitis

Neo Member
There was this cartoon, had lots of animals, there was this song the girrafe sings while in the bathtub. It goes something like "rub-a-dub-dub". I think it was british, probably...

luso

It was a animated series (not anime but from USA or UK maybe) that told classic adventures stories, like Mysterious Island, Moby Dick, Voyage to the Center of The World, etc. I remember the animation style wasn't neat, but a little rough and my perception was that they were faithful to the original source and not embezzled.
I think it aired maybe late 80's, early 90s in my country (Portugal) but maybe the original airing dates are earlier.

Also I'm trying to remember a movie for ages, it is an Asian movie, probably from China/Taiwan/HK (unlikely to be Japanese, much less korean).
I remember watching (parts of) it somewhere in the mid/late 90's, so I would say the movie was from a period before 1999 for sure, probably 1988-98.
The time of the action wasn't contemporary of those dates, from the dressing it looked some time before the rise of communism in China, with traditional clothes from 19th/20th century.
I don't remember the plot but some part (or maybe a big part) of the movie setting was in some sort of small island, or at some coastal area, where there was a big cabin and two woman living in and they were the main characters, probably rivals or at least with some antagonism. It seems they were hiding or were refugees (or forced to stay there) and there were some other people, maybe maidens or guards.

It was a animated series (not anime but from USA or UK maybe) that told classic adventures stories, like Mysterious Island, Moby Dick, Voyage to the Center of The World, etc. I remember the animation style wasn't neat, but a little rough and my perception was that they were faithful to the original source and not embezzled.
I think it aired maybe late 80's, early 90s in my country (Portugal) but maybe the original airing dates are earlier.

Might be Around the World with Willy Fog?

Because Ahasverus was able to help me out last night, I figured I'd try one more. It was a flick I saw as a kid (mid to late 90's) but I'm pretty certain it's an older movie, pre 1980. It has to do with explorers discovering a city at the north pole (or maybe Antarctica). I can't remember much else, although I think the explorers crashed and discovered it by mistake. Anyway, maybe someone knows it? Thanks!

The Island at the Top of the World, or the Doug McClure-tastic People That Time Forgot.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
There was this cartoon, had lots of animals, there was this song the girrafe sings while in the bathtub. It goes something like "rub-a-dub-dub". I think it was british, probably...

There was a cartoon called Rub-a-Dub-Dub that featured lots of animals singing nursery songs that featured a polka-dotted bathtub quite prominently, maybe this?

luso

Also I'm trying to remember a movie for ages, it is an Asian movie, probably from China/Taiwan/HK (unlikely to be Japanese, much less korean).
I remember watching (parts of) it somewhere in the mid/late 90's, so I would say the movie was from a period before 1999 for sure, probably 1988-98.
The time of the action wasn't contemporary of those dates, from the dressing it looked some time before the rise of communism in China, with traditional clothes from 19th/20th century.
I don't remember the plot but some part (or maybe a big part) of the movie setting was in some sort of small island, or at some coastal area, where there was a big cabin and two woman living in and they were the main characters, probably rivals or at least with some antagonism. It seems they were hiding or were refugees (or forced to stay there) and there were some other people, maybe maidens or guards.

Ok, I guess I finally know which movie is! It's Shanghai Triad (Zhang Yimou, 1995). Is a fairly known movie. Not exactly how I remembered but no doubt.
Now missing those cartoons...

I need your help, GAF. I just remembered a trailer I saw last year or two years ago, I have the vague recollection that it was made up almost entirely of news reports about a man who escaped an army institution, that he was some kind of a special weapon. The trailer ends with the guy wearing a hoody and looking into the mirror, he then removes the hoody and it´s revealed that he is part robot.
I think it was the second movie for some director who had an interesting debut film.

Edit: Should have spent a little more time searching it. Already found the trailer, it´s called The Prototype.

There was a TV show about sketch comedy that started with a guy going on a tirade on live television about how terrible the state of sketch comedy had gotten in recent years. He gets cut off, then it goes into the show intro.

I thought it was 30 Rock, but I guess it isn't; pretty sure this was the pilot/first episode.

There was a TV show about sketch comedy that started with a guy going on a tirade on live television about how terrible the state of sketch comedy had gotten in recent years. He gets cut off, then it goes into the show intro.

I thought it was 30 Rock, but I guess it isn't; pretty sure this was the pilot/first episode.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I liked that show!

Ponchopickaxe

Neo Member
I don't even know if this show exists or if I just made it up as a kid but here it goes... All I can remember is if I came home from school fast enough (would have been around 1995) I could watch this show that was a comedy I think and it was set inside like a castle (maybe Dracula's castle) and they did short sketches and there was monsters such as the werewolf and vampires. The intro and outro I believe was an exterior shot of the castle with a purple sky and lightning. If I made this up maybe someone could make a million dollars on this idea

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't even know if this show exists or if I just made it up as a kid but here it goes... All I can remember is if I came home from school fast enough (would have been around 1995) I could watch this show that was a comedy I think and it was set inside like a castle (maybe Dracula's castle) and they did short sketches and there was monsters such as the werewolf and vampires. The intro and outro I believe was an exterior shot of the castle with a purple sky and lightning. If I made this up maybe someone could make a million dollars on this idea

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein?

Saucy_XL

Banned
Ok I heard this on the radio several months ago.

I'm 95% sure it was a Jimmy Buffet song

It was definitely a "B side" song. It was very chaotic and was about things like homosexuals and smokers and other weird/random. It had a lot of talking rather than actual singing, and was fairly long. I don't remember much else unfortunately.

zeemumu

Alright, first one is easy because I'm pretty sure it was a popular song, but I can not for the life of me remember it. The chorus went something-something-aaaaaaaaaaaalllll I need. Anyone know what it was?

The last one is a bit more difficult. It was a horror movie/ horror tv show that looked like it was made in the 1970's. The movie (or episode) in question involved this man who murdered a different man and buried his body on the grounds of this big mansion. There was a painting of the outside of the mansion in the main hall of the mansion itself. The guy gets paranoid that the man will come back to kill him, and suddenly the painting starts changing to show the dead guy coming out of his grave. Every time the man passes the painting, the corpse gets closer and closer to the front door. The man hears a knock at the front door and looks at the painting, which shows the corpse at the front door. Anyone know it?

Details very vague here. Movie I want to say from 80s or early 90s. A young boy is in a junk yard trying to get away from bad people or a monster(s). He finds a car and starts to drive away and that's all I remember. For all I know it may have been a vivid dream as a kid lol. I want to think it was a movie though.

Iacobellis

Alright, song here. Details are skim, all I can recall is a chorus that had a guy saying what sounds like "Na, na, na, na..." over and over again. It was sort of a fast tempo, but I think the song came from a video game. Most likely a racing game, possibly one from EA.

This just popped in my head last month for a reason only God knows why.

Alright, song here. Details are skim, all I can recall is a chorus that had a guy saying what sounds like "Na, na, na, na..." over and over again. It was sort of a fast tempo, but I think the song came from a video game. Most likely a racing game, possibly one from EA.

I'm going to go with The Dickies cover of the Banana Splits theme song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMS2gHFOH0

trickstar

Alright, first one is easy because I'm pretty sure it was a popular song, but I can not for the life of me remember it. The chorus went something-something-aaaaaaaaaaaalllll I need. Anyone know what it was?

The last one is a bit more difficult. It was a horror movie/ horror tv show that looked like it was made in the 1970's. The movie (or episode) in question involved this man who murdered a different man and buried his body on the grounds of this big mansion. There was a painting of the outside of the mansion in the main hall of the mansion itself. The guy gets paranoid that the man will come back to kill him, and suddenly the painting starts changing to show the dead guy coming out of his grave. Every time the man passes the painting, the corpse gets closer and closer to the front door. The man hears a knock at the front door and looks at the painting, which shows the corpse at the front door. Anyone know it?

is it this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q65vUTBJWlQ

Chuckl3s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_a_Thousand_Dances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQcHlxy9pc

But you are probably more use to this version from the Motion Picture FernGully: The Last Rainforest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfzfsUnQHw

This is a real long shot but here goes:

I'm trying to remember an Australian children's TV show that centered around some anthropomorphic kitchen utensils I think. There might have been a sponge. They lived in the kitchen and came out when the humans were gone and sometimes they went under the kitchen sink.
Here's someone else's description (well at least I think they're describing the same show lol):
"PLEASE HELP! Going insane trying to remember the name of a cartoon where all these kitchen utensils and appliances came to life! I think it was one of those 5 minute shows. I will love you forever if you know what I'm talking about!!!"

It was something on TV, but I'm not sure if it was a full TV series or just little 5 minute things in between shows. Pretty sure it aired on Playhouse Disney in the early 2000s and all I remember is that the narrator was British or Australian and a baby getting washed as the narrator said "It's bath time for David."

A cartoon show about a lochness monster and a kid with a beanie that has a propeller attached to it. I also remember the villain wearing black clothing, possibly a cape, and has a long moustache.

It looked pretty old. 80's at least. Any one knows what I'm talking about?

eso76

Guys, i remember seeing one movie when i was a kid (so probably released between '79 '85) that has been haunting me on and off since then.

Very violent, it was about a middle aged teacher being sent to a school (in the bronx, something like that) where students are young drug addict criminal punks and he...uh...proceeds to kill them in gruesome ways. Yep, a teacher killing his young students.

I remember this scene in particular in which he throws this punk on a circular saw table, cutting his arm first and then killing him.

Man, the shit you could get away with back then.

Anyway, teacher was wearing a beard. Can't remember anything else.
Was just curious to see if the movie was indeed as 'wrong' as i remember it and read comments.

EDIT: found it myself.
It appears it's actually a classic: Class of 1984 (1982)

The middle-aged teacher was actually the 32 years old Perry King (Riptide).
Michael J. Fox makes an appearance.
Exploitation movie that some viewed as paranoid about violence in high schools (students having to pass through metal detectors seemed too far fetched then...) and some view as social commentary.
I still find it disturbing and wrong, and I have no idea how i saw this before turning ten.

Banzai

how about this one:
its a cartoon movie about 4 kids on a dinosaur island. the protagonist has spiky anime-like hair and his love interest had a weird laugh (that other characters commented on).
and i think they got to this island because they won a contest or something. its very possible that i made that part up though.

2 Movies I can't remember.

- The first one is a black and white movie, it was a comedy and felt like a parody. There was a castle, or maybe a big mansion and I think it was about solving a murder. Now I'm not sure but I think that a scene featured something like Noah's ark from the bible. I liked it

- The second one is difficult but let's try: I remember a spooky comedy, a big mansion, people trapped, and a junkyard/landfill. The movie was from the 80's or eraly 90's.

Oh man, have to ask about this movie that I can never, ever remember the name of.

I *think* it may have been about a mischievous wizard/apprentice or something. But maybe not.

Anyway, literally the only thing I remember about it was one scene, where the main character is next to a building (possibly in an alley?) and is jump kicking/hitting the wall, cut to inside the building it's like some office and they're all falling about like an earthquake is happening.

Top Bottom