• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am absolutely baffled (Fuck All Haters)

The Alien

Banned
It was terrible mistake to put Halo in this form up front.
I completely agree. Either show it off in full glory or delay showing. With that ga e, it represents the XBox brand. It's a showcase for the console as well. They should made it f'ing amazing....or waited until August (or later).

Ultimately, it's too bad. Other than that, I actually liked the show. Tons of cool looking games...all coming to Gamepass as well. MS showed what their acquisitions were up to and new IPs.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You're misunderstanding people's frustration.

This event was hype for weeks and we barely saw any gameplay/in-game footage of their biggest games coming out for next generation.

If you have many people hyping your conference and tell people they're going to get a look at true next gen Xbox Series X games, then you better bring it.....

....and they didn't.

Halo Infinite - Gameplay reveal was underwhelming for a lot of people. Maybe they should have picked a better scene to show.
Hellblade 2 -They just announced that the game will be developed on Unreal Engine 5.
Forza - No gameplay. "In-engine" footage
Fable - CGI trailer
State of Decay 3 - CGI trailer

This is before a major console release and I think they just dropped the ball.

This is after Sony's conference where they showed gameplay footage from the majority of their biggest games and you just wish Microsoft did the same.

Wait what. in-engine is possible, but real-time? Is there any source to that?

Dont make me facepalm. If its IN-engine its real time. You know what in-engine means? In engine means its in the game engine.
Not rendered frame by frame or something. In other words In-engine and real-time are both ways of saying "not pre rendered/ CGI"
In-engine cut scenes are still real-time in engine. And then there is gameplay, All are different.

In-engine on WHAT is the question.

LostDonkey

I'm with you OP.

I don't mind opinions i just like the don't like commentators that seemingly want something to fail. I came to NeoGaf to discuss games because I am a gamer. And as a gamer i have no loyalty to any one system. How can anyone who so strongly supports one system and craps on the other(s) consider themselves as a gamer is beyond me.

About the reveal; the real disappointment for me was the Forza's reveal and the lack of detail.
My view exactly. I was thirsty for at least some Forza gameplay and there was nothing. That one really confused me.

JonnyMP3

It is about the games. Something I have said on just about every post.
Xbox does look to have a stellar line up of games. Problem that people have with these is that they look to be far off with some looking to be released in 2022 or 23. And the last time Microsoft promised a big game to be released that wasn't the trinity of Halo, Gears or Forza was 'Scalebound'

People have already been burned once wanting a new game that never came to light. They're allowed tocbe as cynical as they want tocbe when it comes to MS. That's what the console warriors don't get. If a developer or publisher keeps making big boasts and claims and come up short. They are due the shit coming to them. There's a reason why the likes of Randy Pitchford gets so much shit.
If these games come out and they're epic and people buy them and they're critical and commercial successes. Fantastic! I mean that too as a gamer. But apart from a disappointing Halo Infinite and a little bit of Forza, there wasn't any solid gameplay representation in any of the games shown. Advertising a new game in development is fine. But there's barely anything that says XSX is worth buying day one like the X360 was.

Abear21

Banned
Not enough gameplay was shown and that’s what this place is for.

However, the real problem is the disconnect with the reality that both of these launches aren’t going to be great. It’s not a normal year and we need to lower our expectations. We got trailers for games that are years out.

I’ve seen threads saying AAA release announcements are imminent and so and so company is going to 3 AAA releases at launch...just no

Maybe Microsoft and Sony didn’t have a great showing because they don’t have anything truly great to show. Gamers need to accept this and the reality with what’s going on. MS and Sony are going to make money this holiday on systems and games already on the shelf. If you want to run out and grab the latest greatest go ahead, but that’s clearly not where they are hanging their hat on this fall or we would have seen more.

or some other dumb shit and find excuses to be pissed off you are not real fucking gamers.

Holy projection batman!

tumblr_mjrp0c1jh51s8yb7wo1_500.gif

but this got me the most:

I play games because they are fun and not because one plastic box has certain games or vice versa. Holy shit. Grow the fuck up.

You render your hobby to plastic boxes yet you go on a multi paragraph rant raging about strangers reactions to said plastic boxes.

This clearly means much more to you.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Fable and Avowed and that other Rare game might end up being great but 2 minute CGI trailers aren't enough to get me hyped for a console, especially as MS's 1st party isn't exactly famed for its quality at this point.

Nothing at that showcase told me I need an XSX at launch.

DavidGzz

People saying both are good, are the worst. That's what keeps MS games at such a low level. This Kumbaya talk ain't what is going to create good games. People talk so much about how good competition is but you can't compare them? I want MS to at least try.

We are at year 6 and counting of MS promising and never delivering and now people are going to be impressed by a show that consist mostly of a bad looking flagship game and a bunch imaterial promises? Let's get real, it was bad.

Not to me at all. Barely worse than Sony's, and I only put Sony ahead because of Demons Soul's. People are so focused on hating Halo that they may have missed the rest of the awesome looking games. People rate Sony conferences with games 5 years out highly but MS doesn't get the same treatment. Especially around here. Tease FF7 remake and people lose their minds. 15 years later and it finally releases. Lol

What else do you fucking monkeys want?

you fucking cry babies?

Fuck you all haters. Fuck you all shitty Sony and Xbox fanboys.

if you cry about 1 fridge or router not having XYZ games or some other dumb shit and find excuses to be pissed off you are not real fucking gamers.

Holy shit. Grow the fuck up.

Yes, clearly, people should model their behaviour as "real gamers" after you.

Can you point to a confirmed next-gen gameplay segment of an XBX exclusive showcased in the conference that you would describe as a system-seller?

Obliged.

NahaNago

It isn't the games that folks are upset over too much (except halo). It's the show. The majority of the show was cg and it seems like most of these games won't be coming out until 2022 and beyond. If Microsoft had only focused on games coming out by the end of next year that show would have been less than 20 minutes probably. They can blame covid but Sony is dealing with it as well and still had a great show. If all were doing is comparing the games revealed during a conference then Microsoft is doing great. It is just the presentation that is terrible.

Show us what the game will play/look like.

Elcid

Banned
Funny I was thinking about buying a Xbox and a ps5 this gen like I did last gen, (sold my Xbox in six months) but after seeing this showcase I’d rather save the money. And I consider myself a gamer. I play in ps5, mobile, switch, and PC currently. I just don’t trust Phil Spencer. They need to replace him stat.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

That's about it actually 1 big fucking mistake

I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake. 343 can't do anything right it seems. Halo has never been a hyper realistic grounded in real graphics or physics. They tried diversion with Halo 5 and got absolutely slated for it and now Infinite looks to hark back to the series roots and all people can do is call them out because it doesn't look as good as a highly scripted, linear third person shooter.

Do people slam Nintendo because Mario doesn't look like real life. It's a highly stylised look. Imo it's great that it still looks like Halo, now show me more gameplay.

Freeman

Banned
Not to me at all. Barely worse than Sony's, and I only put Sony ahead because of Demons Soul's. People are so focused on hating Halo that they may have missed the rest of the awesome looking games. People rate Sony conferences with games 5 years out highly but MS doesn't get the same treatment. Especially around here. Tease FF7 remake and people lose their minds. 15 years later and it finally releases. Lol
Just imagine that GoT, Dreams and TLoU2 are crossgen games if you are having a hard time looking at the whole picture. There, there is no comparison. This event was hyped for weeks, this was the "real event", not the other one (that was a disaster as well).

MS has no answers for games like Horizon FW, R&C, Spider-man MM, Demon's Souls, all they had were teasers for games that are years away. They couldn't even show Forza gameplay, that is insane. The games shown were not even running on the SX.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Nothing says mature discourse like belittling others opinions, calling them names, using lots of expletives, and telling people to grow up. Really great post 👍👍👍

Yes there are a lot of games to be excited about. Just because some people didn't like the showcase or were justifiably upset about the visually weak Halo reveal doesn't mean YOU need to yell at everyone for not feeling the way you feel. A lot of us are frustrated about the current situation. Maybe direct that frustration elsewhere or keep it to yourself if all you have is condescension for us.

Dory16

Banned
I am absolutely baffled, flabbergasted and flat out confused how people are saying that coming out of the Xbox Games Showcase that Xbox Series X is lacking next-gen offerings and vice versa.

We got 2 major big triple AAA RPG announcements.

Avowed
Fable

2 big FPS game

Halo Infinite
STALKER 2

Next Gen Forza Motirsport entry

A new platformer The Gunk

Next Gen entry of State of Decay 3

The Medium an amazing looking silent hill like vibe game with crazy implications and psychological horror

Scorn another atmospheric horror game

What else do you fucking monkeys want? 2 big RPGs, nee next gen Stalker Entry, 2 platforming games, next gen racing game, another entry in co op horror survival, a new Warhammer 40,000 L4D type game and all of that is not big enough for you fucking cry babies?

Mind, there will be more in the coming months?

I don't know about you but...

Halo Infinite
Fable
Avowed
State of Decay 3
Psychonaunts 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2
The Gunk
Grounded
The Medium
Scorn
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Spiderman Miles Morales
Horzion Forbidden West
Demon's Souls
Pragmata
Resident Evil 8 Village

+ Whatever is unannounced for both brands in the coming months

Next gen too me is already looking much more hype than the start of PS4/X1 ever was. Fuck you all haters. Fuck you all shitty Sony and Xbox fanboys. I love being a gamer, if you cry about 1 fridge or router not having XYZ games or some other dumb shit and find excuses to be pissed off you are not real fucking gamers.

I play games because they are fun and not because one plastic box has certain games or vice versa. Holy shit. Grow the fuck up.

Welcome to GAF. None of it suprises me. Go figure.

ThornyDefenselessLice-max-1mb.gif

You really need to relax a bit. I know some things are pretty hectic right now but it really isn't a big deal. Once these systems are out we will be enjoying them instead of going crazy in the forums.

Judy be patient and relax a bit.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a mistake. 343 can't do anything right it seems. Halo has never been a hyper realistic grounded in real graphics or physics. They tried diversion with Halo 5 and got absolutely slated for it and now Infinite looks to hark back to the series roots and all people can do is call them out because it doesn't look as good as a highly scripted, linear third person shooter.

Do people slam Nintendo because Mario doesn't look like real life. It's a highly stylised look. Imo it's great that it still looks like Halo, now show me more gameplay.
Come on is not about looking realistic grasshopper it's about looking impressive and this Halo looks as if it could be running on the Nintendo Switch... Ops, maybe I found out why it looks so bad is it coming to the Switch as well!?

Last edited:
Well, just focusing on MS's latest event, my frustration's more with the fact:

1: None of the games were running on an actual Series X devkit

2: None of the 1st-party games shown besides Halo Infinite had much any gameplay (the only ones that had some like Avowed were
pseudo-gameplay which I definitely hope the final game can match) aside from Halo Infinite.

3: Speaking of Halo Infinite, while it looked fun enough for me the visual presentation, considering what it represents for Xbox as a brand and for MS going into next gen, did NOT hit the right notes in being a showstopper visually with the in-game graphics. I mean we have a meme around it FFS, people outside of the core fanbase are talking more about the meme than hyped for the game!

I felt like this was the event for MS to truly shut up the "haters", make up for lack of gameplay at the May event (which also did have some gameplay in there but aside from Bright Memory Infinite's fantastic demonstration, were in very small clips and the "gameplay" meme around Valhalla killed most of the goodwill the rest of the show built up), and at least match Sony in terms of showing off in-game gameplay for a decent variety of 1st-party titles.

Instead, I think they may've given people more ammunition against them, made some gamers not already in the ecosystem indifferent to their next-gen system launches, and some of those same people are probably viewing the brand as a meme since their marquee IP, Halo, is currently infamous for a meme that even 343i are embracing. Again, I personally feel the show was mostly okay, and rewatching the Halo Infinite footage I've even warmed up to it more visually.

But to a lot of hardcore/core outsiders looking in it seems like they are not acknowledging the value of Gamepass because all they got were CGI trailers for games that could be good but there's not enough a track record to know if they will be, and gameplay for Halo Infinite that had iffy visual impact for what was meant to be a demonstration of a very well-built and powerful next-gen system. In fact, again, none of this stuff was running on a Series X devkit, meanwhile Sony had their stuff running off PS5 devkits (unless they were lying of course, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt).

Overall I think MS just missed a big opportunity for impact to definitively take command of next-gen messaging among hardcore/core gamers who aren't already diehard locked into the ecosystem (seemingly even rubbed wrong some of those who are), and that might give Sony a chance to clean house. I hope the rumors MS held back (again) impressive footage (preferably in-game gameplay, and hopefully on Series X devkits) some stuff in anticipation of Sony's August event are true because if not....I really don't want to say what that does for their prospects leading into next-gen launch, let's just say that.

And there's no way anyone can call me a concern-troll on this because I've been pretty adamant in arguing in favor of a lot of MS's next-gen strategy and Series X hardware in particular for months here, even to the point some people think I hate PlayStation for some reason. Which couldn't be further from the truth. I just genuinely want the best from both Sony and Microsoft this gen but while I personally still got some satisfaction from Thursday's event, did the hardcore/core gamers who are more staunched in Sony and Nintendo ecosystems (who may've been genuinely considering a Series X or Lockhart/Series S) come away convinced to jump in?

Going from what I'm seeing around parts, it doesn't seem that way. And that's exactly what I was worried would happen if this event didn't hit a home run for them. MS has to expand their ecosystem to hit the profit projections they want, but they really need hardcore/core gamers not already in the ecosystem to buy in as soon as possible. They're the very same ones, though, that they might've just came off as a joke to or even worst, solidified sticking with Sony and/or Nintendo. Even PC guys, for those 3rd-party Gamepass games anyway they can just pick them up on Steam or Epic Game Store or GOG and do so at pretty reasonable prices for the specific games they want. At the very least there, though, they would still need Gamepass for MS's 1st-party stuff, or else they just buy it outright on a store like Steam, and MS still has them in the ecosystem anyway.

Whitecrow

Banned
Nothing of weight was shown. Its was an "Ok, there are games" conference.

And that, after all the hype that was built, it's called fraud.

It's not enough in saying 'we have games'.
You must 1: deliver on your promises, and 2: Show something to make people interested in your product. Just acknowledging its existence barely makes nothing, if you are not talking about historically demanded games, like FF 7 Remake or Shenmue III.

Also, MS being loved mostly for Halo and Forza, they had an horrible showing for both.

In the Sony conference happened the same, but at least the showing of Horizon 2 gave fans what they were expecting.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

you are selling a next gen console.
then don't start with a game that looks like this.

i am sure the game will be ok.

DavidGzz

Just imagine that GoT, Dreams and TLoU2 are crossgen games. There, there is no comparison.

MS has no answers for games like Horizon FW, R&C, Spider-man MM, Demon's Souls, all they had were teasers for games that are years away. They couldn't even show Forza gameplay, that is insane.

Why would I imagine that, I already played those games. For my tastes Halo and it's multiplayer kill another Spiderman. I never even finished the last one. I think MS will have the better launch lineup, but we won't know for a little while. Horizon and Demons are a ways off.

Freeman

Banned
Why would I imagine that, I already played those games. For my tastes Halo and it's multiplayer kill another Spiderman. I never even finished the last one. I think MS will have the better launch lineup, but we won't know for a little while. Horizon and Demons are a ways off.
Horizon and Demons are a ways off but Fable, Avowed, Everwild, etc are not?

The Fartist

Gold Member
Dont make me facepalm. If its IN-engine its real time. You know what in-engine means? In engine means its in the game engine.
Not rendered frame by frame or something. In other words In-engine and real-time are both ways of saying "not pre rendered/ CGI"
In-engine cut scenes are still real-time in engine. And then there is gameplay, All are different.

In-engine on WHAT is the question.
Nope, In-engine means it was pre-rendered with the engine and assets. Just like GT Sport's photomode is in engine but take 3-5 seconds to render the frame.

Freeman

Banned
You're talking about those games like MS needs an answer right now as I'd they are close. So I guess I can shoot back with Sony has no answer to Avowed, Fable, and Everwild. Lol
They'll have until 2023 and beyond to work on that.

MS still needs an answer for games Sony released 4 years ago. Let's keep it real.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Medium and Stalker aren't even exclusives. And state of decay is not something that holds much promise. The only substantial gameplay that we say, was mediocre looking. That's the main problem. And the disappointment of seeing Halo look much less than cutting edge.

I know Stalker 2 is coming to PS5, but I thought The Medium was exclusive? The Medium was the highlight of the show to me.

MS screwed up with Halo and they should have showed a 5 minute gameplay of Fable.

I'm 99% sure there isn't 5 minutes of Fable gameplay to show. I got the feeling that game is still in the design phase, at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom