• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much are you willing to sacrifice for ray tracing?

How much are you willing to sacrifice for ray tracing?

• Anything as long as I get ray tracing.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 30 Fps are not so bad after all

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Games under 1080p don't look bad either.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I want raytracing but i am only ready for minor losses

Votes: 59 41.3%
  • Ray tracing does not interest me.

Votes: 60 42.0%

• Total voters

Deerock71

everyone GIF

(I'm actually not interested in RT lol)

Last edited:

CGNoire

RTGI is the only thing I care about.

I also often prefer the SSR artifacts over the overly specular reflections produced by RT. Obviously this will be fixed with more hardware power but still not a fan of the way they often look.

lachesis

1. FPS. (60+ fps, locked because I don't have VRR)
2. Resolution. (1080p+)
3. Animation
4. Texture (including baked-in lighting)
5. Lighting (non-ray-tracing)
6. Modeling

and ray tracing for me, does not really interest me.... unless it's like rendered shot. My eyes are too untrained in 3D gfx, even after all these years - so minor ray-tracing, I can't really tell much difference. I can tell difference in hair flow and all, but that also comes way down to the priority.

If all of above is all well reprsented w Ray-tracing, then sure... perhaps next gen would achieve that?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Now that is some BS.
Yeah I went to a bathroom mirror on Koboh for the game and the mirror is just a 100% blur of like a green/khaki color.

RT on its just a normal reflection .

Like… come on son.

Last edited:

Valt7786

For consoles i'd rather they skipped RT if it mean keeping the FPS at 60 and the resolution at or above 1440p. At least in performance modes.
Jedi doesn't do this and its "performance" mode is complete arse.

Hunnybun

If it's RTGI and it makes a major difference, like Metro, then I'd sacrifice resolution down to like 1080p, I guess. Especially if that was with good overall IQ.

I'm not willing to go down to 30fps for it though. 40fps at the absolute minimum, and even then it would be a tough choice.

For the kind of RT we'll probably *actually* get - ie low quality reflections etc - then I'm not willing to make any (appreciable) trade off at all. When I can use it without seeing a difference, as with Ratchet, then I will, but for me it adds almost nothing to the graphical quality.

Mozzarella

Very Very Very little. Although its good when you take screenshots, i turn it on, take the photo and turn it off and continue playing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Just voted for "ray-tracing but only minor losses" and see that it made the voting even with "ray tracing doesn't interest me".

I'm all for the extra eye candy but stop when it becomes a detriment to the game's overall technical performance.

Hunnybun

Honestly not bothered by ray tracing. In the future we'll look back at this time and laugh at how it became such an obsession, even though it'll be routine by then.

Yeah it's really kind of ridiculous at the moment.

For me, in almost all cases I've seen it, RT has been a boost to visuals of the kind of magnitude of something like changing a quality setting from medium to high. Roughly that kind of effect. Like, oh yeah, I can notice that. Great.

And then you realise it's equivalent to like a quarter of the entire rendering budget, and I'm like 'er, fucking *excuse me*?!'

The cost is absolutely insane right now, at least from what I've seen. Next gen will be the time it becomes worth it.

Buggy Loop

I would honestly take Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive performance for path tracing AAA games from now on 100%.

Looks insane

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am willing to sacrifice 4K and high VRR. Especially when DLSS is involved.

I won't drop to 30fps or sub-1080p, but I also don't have to...

Honestly not bothered by ray tracing. In the future we'll look back at this time and laugh at how it became such an obsession, even though it'll be routine by then.
Yea, this gaming generation will be remembered as the generation of choice.

60fps or 4k RT

EewciSSUcAASOZn

Anything that prevents a solid 60fps is a no go.
Don’t care about resolution, graphics, effects, ect if it means playing a slideshow.

mdkirby

Depends on what u mean by retracing and how/why it’s being used. If it’s just to make thing a bit prettier then no it’s not worth it. The existing hacky work arounds we’ve used in recent years work reasonably well. If however it’s so a game can use global illumination with something like lumen, and as such allow interesting physics and destructible environments, then yes it’s worth reduced resolution or frame count.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Ray tracing is nice but honestly without cherry picked comparisons it’s only moderately noticeable at this point.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Long as it's not too much. Like if i'm getting an insanely high framerate, I'll settle for something around 120 fps with Raytracing in 1440p. I won't ever go back to 1080p gaming. 4k is only worth it on certain titles to me. 4k and raytracing? Not interested.

StereoVsn

As long as I can hit 1440p upscaled to 4K (ie DLSS quality or FSR 2 quality) with 60+ fps, I am ok with it.

Not budging from that though. Well, maybe 1080p upscaled to 4K with DLSS with 60fps + if effects are outstanding. But really unlikely I would take that.

Top Bottom