• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque has expanded to over 110 employees

feynoob

I'm hoping HouseMarque to blow up just like FromSoftware did.

They make some of the best, most fun games, but they are still criminally underrated. I hope HouseMarque finds their Elden Ring next.
Don't chase elden ring.
Let them make their own nichie like rare.

A sea of thieves type of game would be a welcome addition.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nex Machina Revolution when?
Theyve got to have a B-team at this point who could handle that right?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
pretty weird… returnal has this crazy fanbase when the actual itemization roguelike elements was kinda broken.. and a 7 at best… games like hades and enter the gungeon beat this game so hard… but It does look good 👍

Returnal 2 would be nice but this time just make a normal tps, they are no good with roguelites.
People say this a lot. What was bad about Returnal Roguelites elements?

I personally really enjoyed starting over and being forced to experiment with a new weapon. I also really enjoyed having to do 3 stages at once which forced you to to explore the whole level every time and build up your character. The game seemed well balanced in regards to damage etc to accommodate this unlike say the souls games where running to the boss every failed attempt is just wasting your time.

If Returnal was structured like a normal TPS like last of us or RE4 remake I feel these fun elements would be missed.

Asking curiously as this was my first real experience with a rogue-lite

I'm hoping HouseMarque to blow up just like FromSoftware did.

They make some of the best, most fun games, but they are still criminally underrated. I hope HouseMarque finds their Elden Ring next.
I think Returnal is to HouseMarque what Demon Souls was to From Software!

They aren't massive yet but given time they could be huge. Who knows with time they might have the biggest game under Sony's Umbrella.

GymWolf

People say this a lot. What was bad about Returnal Roguelites elements?

I personally really enjoyed starting over and being forced to experiment with a new weapon. I also really enjoyed having to do 3 stages at once which forced you to to explore the whole level every time and build up your character. The game seemed well balanced in regards to damage etc to accommodate this unlike say the souls games where running to the boss every failed attempt is just wasting your time.

If Returnal was structured like a normal TPS like last of us or RE4 remake I feel these fun elements would be missed.

Asking curiously as this was my first real experience with a rogue-lite
Play something like isaac or hades to see where they fall short.

The worst offenders were the parasite mechanic that i avoided most of the times, and not enough meaningfull unlocks between runs, the sense of progression was dire to say the least.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
It's a good idea to push the studios aren't stuck with cinematics. Returnal was already decent, let's see what they can do with more manpower.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think Returnal is to HouseMarque what Demon Souls was to From Software!

They aren't massive yet but given time they could be huge. Who knows with time they might have the biggest game under Sony's Umbrella.
I'm in the same boat, except I think that Returnal was HouseMarque's Bloodborne -- as in they are less than 10 years from really becoming a mainstream AAA game developer like FromSoftware with 15 million+ copies sold.

It took From almost 15 years from Demon's Souls to get to Elden Ring.

Last edited:

mejin

Don't remember If they ever made a sequel. Anyway, congrats for Housemarque and hope Sony continues to invest in smaller devs with potential.

Don't chase elden ring.
Let them make their own nichie like rare.

A sea of thieves type of game would be a welcome addition.
Yes of course but I hope they won't do another roguelike. Returnal gameplay is incredible but the random parts of the game are awful. I stopped playing it because of this.

Returnal was GOOD, but I'm up for whatever they decide to create next. If they want to go back and work on something smaller like Resogun/Nex Machina before launching their next BIG project, I'll be perfectly fine with that as well.

Fbh

Looking forward to what they do next.

I was a bit lukewarm on Returnal because the roguelite elements weren't very good and I didn't like the overall structure and story. But the actual gameplay was fantastic, if they can expand on that maybe with a more traditional linear design or a complete overhaul of the Roguelite design they can make something truly great

Ar¢tos

I would like to see them try something new, like... an open world RPG full of emotional experiences and cutscenes where everybody is gay/lesbian/bisexual! /jk
Or a pure action game, full melee combat.

pretty weird… returnal has this crazy fanbase when the actual itemization roguelike elements was kinda broken.. and a 7 at best… games like hades and enter the gungeon beat this game so hard… but It does look good 👍
Game is super fun and challenging, the only Bad thing it had for me was the no save option but it was fixed, 10/10 as My first roguelite.

I'm in the same boat, except I think that Returnal was HouseMarque's Bloodborne -- as in they are less than 10 years from really becoming a mainstream AAA game developer like FromSoftware with 15 million+ copies sold.

It took From almost 15 years from Demon's Souls to get to Elden Ring.
Returnal immediately reminded me of Demon's Souls in that I think it could be their foundation for their own unique formula going forward. I still have a feeling Returnal might turn out to be a seminal game but it obviously depends on HM. From managed to cement Demon's Souls' uniqueness with Dark Souls and I really hope HM manages to cement Returnal's with follow-up that builds on its strengths and brings some improvements to the overall structure and scope to the table.

There really isn't anything like Returnal on the market. It has AAA presentation yet is essentially a pure Arcade game that also manages to be absurdly atmospheric with deep lore you can get lost in. If HM can fine-tune this formula, damn...

PS: More on topic, I'm beyond fucking excited to see HM expand.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I know this is crazy but...maybe people liked it as much as they did for other reasons than the very specific element you're criticizing it for.
you played at launch? because you where better off not using parasites, this is not good game design. The balance was off

Last edited:
you played at launch? because you where better off not using parasites, this is not good game design. The balance was off
Bought it Day 1 and put about 200 hours into it in total. I'm not saying it's perfect, it absolutely has issues, but that doesn't mean others weigh them as heavily. I didn't play Returnal for the rogue elements for example so comparing it to Hades for example, a game I also loved, makes no sense to my enjoyment of the game.

I’d really love it if they had the freedom to make some of their smaller arcade style games alongside their AAA output.
I really hope Sony establishes some label within Sony studios for smaller games. While I don' t really get why Embracer is divided like it is, Sony should continue with their main label for the AAA games, but also have a second branch with small(er) games like old Housemarque, Arrowhead and any sideproject stuff like probably Tearaway, Rain etc. Big budget hype stuff, yeah, but also make some small games to provide also some niche games. I guess could also be used to test new game directors, let them work on a smaller game before fully commiting and also allow tech teams to work on some small scale games while a bigger budget game is still not out of concept phase. Make everything a bit more flexible and not only bet on 100+ mio or whatever games.

AndrewRyan

Never knew there was an original Stardust. That's so cool! The original company Bloodhouse (93) merged with Terramarque (95) to become our beloved Housemarque. Took them 30 years to finally get their flowers.

Last edited:

skit_data

Returnal was so damn good, eagerly anticipating their next game. I also wish they could go back just a little bit to fix Dead Nation on PS5 because curiously enough it’s the single PS4 game I’ve come across that just keeps on crashing on PS5.

Top Bottom