• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque is gearing up to launch one of the Nordics' most advanced gaming headquarters by the end of 2024

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They are more difficult than returnal imo.

Returnal suffer from inverse armoured core 6 syndrome, the levels are hard, the bosses, not so much (mostly because i noticed that they deal less damage per single hit than your average trash mob, logic when you think that there are hundreds of projectiles during boss fights and it is nearly impossible to avoid all of them).

Like i was overwhelmed the first couple of times because i'm shit at bullet hells shooter but then i noticed that i could tank some hits...
And the more you upgrade the weapons, the easier the game is, some weapons literally melt health bars.
Honestly I don't mind difficulty; I've been playing super tough games for 30+ years now. I grew up with games in arcade where you had to buy tokens and survive for as long as you can if you wanted to save your money lol.

My problem with Souls like is the unnecessary grind -- you lose everything when you die. That just feels like a cheap tactic to lengthen the game, and I get so pissed off that I start disliking the entire game (and now, the genre).

GymWolf

Honestly I don't mind difficulty; I've been playing super tough games for 30+ years now. I grew up with games in arcade where you had to buy tokens and survive for as long as you can if you wanted to save your money lol.

My problem with Souls like is the unnecessary grind -- you lose everything when you die. That just feels like a cheap tactic to lengthen the game, and I get so pissed off that I start disliking the entire game (and now, the genre).
I play everything on max difficulty so i know the feeling.

Not sure if grind is the right term for losing the souls when you die, isn't grind when you kill trash mobs over and over to level up? i almost never do that.

You should play remnant saga, no souls to lose in that one.

Last edited:

Crayon

Completely brilliant game. I thought it was clear enough that they had to stretch it out as a rougelike. Time/budget limitations. Mayb even teething problems on their first big game. But they made the most of it. They even revealed a knack for creating a great character and atmosphere you could cut with a knife.

I can be patient waiting to see what they do next, but I know once they show it I will be squirming for a year.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Awesome, can't wait to see what they do next. Their first bigger budget title turned out absolutely amazing. Not sure it sold all that well though, so hopefully Sony won't meddle too much in the direction of their next game.

Fredrik

lol I beat Returnal and still play it regularly and go from start to finish fairly easily without doing. And I hate the difficulty spikes in Souls games and have never finished any of them 😛 (I also dislike the Souls formula in general, but find those games way more difficult than Returnal, which I think is tough but mostly fair).
Lol we’re very different! In my opinion Elden Ring is easy peasy compared to Returnal, it certainly took awhile to beat Margit and Godrick the first time but you could try again in 30 seconds after dying. Easy to study attacks and refine strategies.

From my perspective, Returnal without cloud save is like playing Elden Ring and reach Godrick and die and be back at the beginning, maybe with the spirit bell and wolves still there. Brutal.

I think Sony was pretty strategic in the studios they purchased. You can tell that most of them are international in countries that they didn't have a recruiting presence.

Even buying Bluepoint in Texas gave them a brand new avenue in that area.

Unironically, I could totally see at some point Sucker Punch and Firewalk becoming part of Bungie.

Haven is in Canada and their first ever studio in Canada.
Housemarque is in Finland.
Nixxes is in the Netherlands (same as Guerrilla Games)

It's also why I wouldn't be surprised if they bought FromSoftware and CDPR.

K2D

Banned
For someone who has an unspeakable 4-digit number of hours in certain rogue-likes, Returnal didn't quit hit the mark..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think Sony was pretty strategic in the studios they purchased. You can tell that most of them are international in countries that they didn't have a recruiting presence.

Even buying Bluepoint in Texas gave them a brand new avenue in that area.

Unironically, I could totally see at some point Sucker Punch and Firewalk becoming part of Bungie.

Haven is in Canada and their first ever studio in Canada.
Housemarque is in Finland.
Nixxes is in the Netherlands (same as Guerrilla Games)

It's also why I wouldn't be surprised if they bought FromSoftware and CDPR.
This is why I'm surprised that they still don't have a studio in Poland or Korea.

T-0800

They created the GOAT snowboarding game. They need to make a sequel.

d1461KD.jpg

A sequel to this would win Resetera GOTY.

This is why I'm surprised that they still don't have a studio in Poland or Korea.

Like I said, I think they might buy CDPR at some point. They also might just end up taking a look at these new Polish studios that have essentially split off from CDPR after the rough release of Cyberpunk. There is 11 Bit Studio and now Dark Passenger.

There's a good pipeline there, but it might be exhausted by current studios. Sony is probably waiting to see how these studios games progress.11 Bit has put out some well-received games.

Tencent already owns 40% of techland.

As for Korea, they're partnering with several Korean studios for either exclusive games or content and those business relationships can always evolve into M&A. Very rarely would I say Sony just buys companies that they've never done any sort of business with. Even Bungie they published some of their games in Japan and have had exclusive content deals with.

I could see them buying NCsoft

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Like I said, I think they might buy CDPR at some point. They also might just end up taking a look at these new Polish studios that have essentially split off from CDPR after the rough release of Cyberpunk. There is 11 Bit Studio and now Dark Passenger.

There's a good pipeline there, but it might be exhausted by current studios. Sony is probably waiting to see how these studios games progress.11 Bit has put out some well-received games.

Tencent already owns 40% of techland.

As for Korea, they're partnering with several Korean studios for either exclusive games or content and those business relationships can always evolve into M&A. Very rarely would I say Sony just buys companies that they've never done any sort of business with. Even Bungie they published some of their games in Japan and have had exclusive content deals with.

I could see them buying NCsoft
They could have set up a small studio in Poland, maybe with the help of Guerrilla (Netherlands isn't that far), and poach CDPR and Techland talent to make an RPG.

Regarding Korea, yes, there are partners, but not a studio to poach that country's talent. Having said that, one of my theories (which I believe more than CDPR) is that Sony will buya. relatively big publisher (mid-sized) in Korea soon.

Top Bottom