• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque is gearing up to launch one of the Nordics' most advanced gaming headquarters by the end of 2024

A Modern Dwelling for Gameplay Innovation and Workplace Culture

Housemarque, a member of the PlayStation Studios family and Finland's longest standing gaming firm, is gearing up to launch one of the Nordics' most advanced gaming headquarters by the end of 2024. Located in downtown Helsinki, this facility will not only be a testament to our rich gaming legacy, but will also be a beacon of innovation and creativity in the Northernmost capital.

Our vision is more than just a shiny new office; it's about setting a new standard. With features like cutting-edge meeting rooms, proper audio studios, testing areas, and wellness spaces, we are creating an environment that merges Nordic sensibilities with creativity, aiming to attract the world's best game developers.

Sustainability remains core to our values. Our revamped hub will champion green initiatives, ensuring a balance between technology and planetary care. As we embark on this transformative journey, we're committed to further solidifying our position in the world of gameplay innovation.

We will update you with more info and cool pictures next year!

Awards.jpg

I dont think they'll stray much from their roots, they are amazing at bullet hell (2D or 3D), I say let them do what they are good at for as long as people want that and judging the reception of Returnal I'd say people arent fed up of it yet
They can make it bullet hell if they wish, just give me a longer full fledged story game with what you are good at.

StueyDuck

that's cool, they've been in the industry for so long, i'm glad to see them grow and not shrink. (especially with how close they were)

CGNoire

Our vision is more than just a shiny new office; it's about setting a new standard. With features like cutting-edge meeting rooms, proper audio studios, testing areas, and wellness spaces, we are creating an environment that merges Nordic sensibilities with creativity, aiming to attract the world's best game developers.

Sustainability remains core to our values. Our revamped hub will champion green initiatives, ensuring a balance between technology and planetary care. As we embark on this transformative journey, we're committed to further solidifying our position in the world of gameplay innovation

Yeah none of this sounds like its gonna lead to better games and honestly looks far more likely designed to appease modern whiny devs.

Last edited:

GHound

Can I download it? Is it playable? Does it have RPG elements or what?
Oh! It's an immersive sim.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Please make a game like Returnal but not a rougelike. Returnal was very good but the being a bad rouge like part held it back from greatness. The art, movement, speed, enemies, gunplay, upgrade, bullet hell and music were all sick.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How about putting that money into making a full length game next time rather than an artificially lengthened 'rougue' crap.

That game was amazing on so many levels (art direction, animation, audio, core combat, player control) , let down by bad game design.
I absolutely hated the roguelike structure….

BUT!
Once I found out that you could get a save point by uploading a paused cycle to cloud storage it became my favorite Sony game of all-time.

Can’t wait to play their next game!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I absolutely hated the roguelike structure….

BUT!
Once I found out that you could get a save point by uploading a paused cycle to cloud storage it became my favorite Sony game of all-time.

Can’t wait to play their next game!
FYI - You can just suspend the cycle now. No workaround. Just suspend, quit the game, shut down the PS5 if you want, and come back whenever you want to.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They just need to make a good Roguelite. Hades needs competition. Housemarque surely learned from their mistakes with Returnal.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They just need to make a good Roguelite. Hades needs competition. Housemarque surely learned from their mistakes with Returnal.
No mistakes were made man. Returnal was perfect.

Returnal is primarily an action game with roguelite elements. Hades was primarily a roguelite game with action elements. Their primary focuses were different. Both were 10/10 for me.

Fredrik

FYI - You can just suspend the cycle now. No workaround. Just suspend, quit the game, shut down the PS5 if you want, and come back whenever you want to.
Have they removed the auto save at death? Can you reload a previously suspended cycle without using the cloud now?
Would be awesome. I won’t have access to the cloud much longer. Using the cloud solution gave me one save point, changed the whole game for me, meant I could retry boss fights until I finished them instead of starting over at the ship with a pea shooter over and over.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
FFXVI - 'Death'
Would be awesome. I won’t have access to the cloud much longer. Using the cloud solution gave me one save point, changed the whole game for me, meant I could retry boss fights until I finished them instead of starting over at the ship with a pea shooter over and over.
FFXVI - 'Death'

'die'
2. You can stop playing the game without ending your run. That's a different thing. I don't know if it's dependent on Cloud or not. It just creates a save, which I think will work without Cloud, but I don't know for sure.

QedhpWw.jpg

GymWolf

Good, next step is letting go of the roguelike stuff and just go with a classic tps route, they are great with tps, way less with roguelikes.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
How about putting that money into making a full length game next time rather than an artificially lengthened 'rougue' crap.

That game was amazing on so many levels (art direction, animation, audio, core combat, player control) , let down by bad game design.
"How about you fucks make a real full length game this time! Not artificial rogue crap!"

"That game was amazing"

Man the intellect level of some users on here.....

Fredrik

Okay, but I think that's more like a "loophole" than an actual mechanic, as that defeats the purpose and goes against the story.
Definitely, it’s a cheat for sure, but makes the game less frustrating and for me it was what made me love it. With the cloud save it plays like Metroid. One save. Still challenging enough for me. Without the save it made Elden Ring seem like a kids game lol

Once I knew how to tackle the bosses I started doing cycles the normal way and progress the house scenes etc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Definitely, it’s a cheat for sure, but makes the game less frustrating and for me it was what made me love it. With the cloud save it plays like Metroid. One save. Still challenging enough for me. Without the save it made Elden Ring seem like a kids game lol

Once I knew how to tackle the bosses I started doing cycles the normal way and progress the house scenes etc.
lol I beat Returnal and still play it regularly and go from start to finish fairly easily without doing. And I hate the difficulty spikes in Souls games and have never finished any of them 😛 (I also dislike the Souls formula in general, but find those games way more difficult than Returnal, which I think is tough but mostly fair).

GymWolf

lol I beat Returnal and still play it regularly and go from start to finish fairly easily without doing. And I hate the difficulty spikes in Souls games and have never finished any of them 😛 (I also dislike the Souls formula in general, but find those games way more difficult than Returnal, which I think is tough but mostly fair).
They are more difficult than returnal imo.

Returnal suffer from inverse armoured core 6 syndrome, the levels are hard, the bosses, not so much (mostly because i noticed that they deal less damage per single hit than your average trash mob, logic when you think that there are hundreds of projectiles during boss fights and it is nearly impossible to avoid all of them).

Like i was overwhelmed the first couple of times because i'm shit at bullet hells shooter but then i noticed that i could tank some hits...
And the more you upgrade the weapons, the easier the game is, some weapons literally melt health bars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom