• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West's Settlements Are Already A Huge Improvement On Zero Dawn

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: http://www.gamerant.com/horizon-forbidden-west-settlements-zero-dawn-improvement-better/

In Horizon Zero Dawn, there were only a couple of big settlements: Mother's Heart, Meridian, and Sunfall. All three are visually stunning and conveyed a unique environment, with each belonging to a different tribe. However, they weren't as interactive and alive as they could have been.

Despite all its brilliance, Zero Dawn was never known for great NPCs or detailed animations; the human animations were actually one of the elements criticized the most.

In Forbidden West, Guerrilla's Living World team is responsible for making each settlement feel alive in a unique way. An NPC from the Nora tribe will obviously look very different from a member of the Oseram tribe, but with the new programming, now they actually behave and interact with the environment differently in ways that are distinct from other tribes. Each tribe has their own way of life and values that are now shown through the behavior of the NPCs.

Espen Sogn, the Lead Designer of Guerrilla's Living World team, said that the goal is to make NPCs feel connected to where they live. The visual design of the locations is important to ensure authenticity, but the human behavior and interaction within the settlements are what make the world feel alive. To make each group of people feel like a fully-realized culture, how they interact with the environment and with each other is incredibly important.

GAF v ERA?

Because the Oseram value masculinity and community, they are seen giving each other high-fives and shoulder punches. In comparison, the Utaru tribe is very peaceful and believes in living in harmony with nature. They are more gentle with one another and have a more laid-back community.

Corndog

Banned
Source: http://www.gamerant.com/horizon-forbidden-west-settlements-zero-dawn-improvement-better/

In Horizon Zero Dawn, there were only a couple of big settlements: Mother's Heart, Meridian, and Sunfall. All three are visually stunning and conveyed a unique environment, with each belonging to a different tribe. However, they weren't as interactive and alive as they could have been.

Despite all its brilliance, Zero Dawn was never known for great NPCs or detailed animations; the human animations were actually one of the elements criticized the most.

In Forbidden West, Guerrilla's Living World team is responsible for making each settlement feel alive in a unique way. An NPC from the Nora tribe will obviously look very different from a member of the Oseram tribe, but with the new programming, now they actually behave and interact with the environment differently in ways that are distinct from other tribes. Each tribe has their own way of life and values that are now shown through the behavior of the NPCs.

Espen Sogn, the Lead Designer of Guerrilla's Living World team, said that the goal is to make NPCs feel connected to where they live. The visual design of the locations is important to ensure authenticity, but the human behavior and interaction within the settlements are what make the world feel alive. To make each group of people feel like a fully-realized culture, how they interact with the environment and with each other is incredibly important.

GAF v ERA?

Because the Oseram value masculinity and community, they are seen giving each other high-fives and shoulder punches. In comparison, the Utaru tribe is very peaceful and believes in living in harmony with nature. They are more gentle with one another and have a more laid-back community.
Hopefully more actual interaction besides collectathon quests.

zeorhymer

I wonder if we're going to get more man hating dialog from Aloy.

Even though I enjoyed the first game I barely remember any of the characters. I'm expecting the sequel to be much more fleshed out. Hopefully it's a big leap, though it is cross gen so they won't be able to implement all their ideas.

In Oseram, they pee directly into the center of the toilet to maximize splashing sounds and assert dominance. In Utaru, they pee on the side of the bowl silently.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GAF v ERA?

I am sorry, era is anything but peaceful. Those guys have a riot every other week and lose entire communities every other month. Poliera, Nintendo era, Trans era, Asian era, and Xbox era have all been exiled to other communities.

Unless you are calling them masculine which is also very inaccurate. They are all pussy ass bitches.

Bramble

I particularly hope the settlements are way more crowded than in HZD. Meridian looks pretty impressive from a further distance, but once you enter it, it feels pretty lame and video gamey.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I am sorry, era is anything but peaceful. Those guys have a riot every other week and lose entire communities every other month. Poliera, Nintendo era, Trans era, Asian era, and Xbox era have all been exiled to other communities.

Unless you are calling them masculine which is also very inaccurate. They are all pussy ass bitches.

I think he is saying GAF is more peaceful and chill.

Chukhopops

Lmao, I’m guessing this is what masculinity would look like to you if you were a Guerrilla developer: just a bunch of people fist bumping each other and making grunt sounds.

(Still looking forward to HFW)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Lmao, I’m guessing this is what masculinity would look like to you if you were a Guerrilla developer: just a bunch of people fist bumping each other and making grunt sounds.

(Still looking forward to HFW)
two-for-flinching-flinch.gif

Saucy Papi

Last edited:

Outlier

GAF v ERA?

No. Era does NOT represent Utaru values. Unless the Utaru are a bunch of pretentious pricks, too.

Outlier

I don't believe the Horizon hype,this studio is probably still style over substance just like the Killzone days
I think it's the graphics and the story.

I was amazed by Zero Dawns graphics and was engaged with the story and lore.

However, the gameplay was eeeehhhh. Although, Forbidden West seems to be aiming to improve the gameplay, quite a bit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After the first game I have no interest in the sequel and I tired......I played KZ2, KZ Shadow Fall and Horizon and enjoyed none of them, at this point its perfectly clear that I'm just not fan of how Guerrilla Games makes games.

SLB1904

Banned
WelltodoFloweryBrahmanbull-max-1mb.gif

i barely used mount in the first game. aloy was fast enough and the mount was boring as hell, but oh boy im getting one of these

LOL look at my username..I was banned from era for NOTHING... I love GAF.

Outlier

Yes. Probably a little more religious hate too like the first game.
I think people miss what kind of person Aloy is. Her childhood has a lot to do with who is became, as an adult.

Aloy grew up around a feminist society (but raised by a man), so she likely learned about the differences between the women and men, leading her to take playful jabs at men and even dismissing assertions of females.

She is also seemingly atheist (if not agnostic), due to being shunned by religious ideologies and learned that other religions also shared beliefs that (to her) seem silly.

All that combined with a straight to business no nonsense personality leads to her making those kinds of dismissive and combative statements.

She is a strong minded and capable woman that don't need no man... or woman, BUT she knows she can't do it all on her own, so she has her business associates...

If she had a personality type designation she would likely be an ISTP.

Sorry for the long post, but you can guess I am a little passionate about this game and character.

Can't wait to see what they do with FW. :)

Last edited:

Fake

After playing the first one I can conclur:
- They don't give a shit over feedback
- I reported one single bug since I played day one, but never got fixed

Can't say for sure if will be improvement over last one. They're putting so much effort in the photorealism graphics that art direction + gameplay will be forgotten.

I prefer to play myself and take this conclusion.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, jokes aside, I always appreciate advancements in NPC AI. One of the biggest reasons gaming is becoming stale is that we haven't seen a jump in AI behavior as large as it was during the jump from 2D to 3D gaming. Everything is focused on larger, prettier environments or more NPCs/enemies, without addressing the fact that what's within that space is largely the same as it was in high end PS2 titles. I gotta give Kojima credit for all the different ways soldiers behaved in MGS titles for that very fact. This shit should be applauded into the standard.

I mean, jokes aside, I always appreciate advancements in NPC AI. One of the biggest reasons gaming is becoming stale is that we haven't seen a jump in AI behavior as large as it was during the jump from 2D to 3D gaming. Everything is focused on larger, prettier environments or more NPCs/enemies, without addressing the fact that what's within that space is largely the same as it was in high end PS2 titles. I gotta give Kojima credit for all the different ways soldiers behaved in MGS titles for that very fact. This shit should be applauded into the standard.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using some of the TLOU2 tech for the npc AI

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't believe the Horizon hype,this studio is probably still style over substance just like the Killzone days
Having a team dedicated to the living world of Horizon now is a big step in the right direction, we'll see if they can stick the landing

Either way, it sounds like Forbidden West will be the much better game

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think people miss what kind of person Aloy is. Her childhood has a lot to do with who is became, as an adult.

Aloy grew up around a feminist society (but raised by a man), so she likely learned about the differences between the women and men, leading her to take playful jabs at men and even dismissing assertions of females.

She is also seemingly atheist (if not agnostic), due to being shunned by religious ideologies and learned that other religions also shared beliefs that (to her) seem silly.

All that combined with a straight to business no nonsense personality leads to her making those kinds of dismissive and combative statements.

She is a strong minded and capable woman that don't need no man... or woman, BUT she knows she can't do it all on her own, so she has her business associates...

If she had a personality type designation she would likely be an ISTP.

Sorry for the long post, but you can guess I am a little passionate about this game and character.

Can't wait to see what they do with FW. :)

I don't think anyone missed what kind of person Aloy is. The issue is that she's a shit person. Why she's a shit person doesn't really matter as it doesn't make up for the fact that she's a shit person. Shit.

down 2 orth

Played the game because it was free a short while back. After getting about a third or a half through it, I couldn't bring myself to play it anymore. I thought it was maybe because I'm outgrowing videogames, but then I played a better game and realized this game is just not very good.

Also the Marxist materialist subversive preaching gets tiring after a while. No wonder the game feels soulless.

Top Bottom