• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 New Trailer Revealed. Releasing in 2024 | Xbox Showcase 2023

Going by this thread, hardly anyone here played the original but felt the need to chime in about the sequel, it's ok to feel threatened, makes you feel alive.

The first game was an audio visual experience like no other, following her mental breakdown and psycosis.

It is not an action game.

Agreed. The first one was an incredible experience and I'm pretty confident this will be great as well.

Apparently any game that isn't fully action and combat oriented is a garbage, trash, walking simulator now.

If this matches the quality of the first game and they expand upon the combat and puzzle mechanics, this has the potential to be a GOTY contender for me.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Ok, I'm seeing a lot of shit thrown at Hellblade from people who probably never even installed the original game to begin with. This is probably the best review any Hellblade doubter (or anyone who has never played the original for more than one hour) can see. Mac from Worth a Buy is far from IGN and the usual review channels and he shits on artsy-fartsy games all day long. And he has the following to say:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As if hb2 isn't uncanny valley. It's far from perfect. La noire's was very nuanced and detailed that competes with current games easily.
Yup. Even though LA Noire came out ages ago, whatever mocap facial tech they were using is still the best I've seen even though it was running on 360 hardware.

acm2000

Yup. Even though LA Noire came out ages ago, whatever mocap facial tech they were using is still the best I've seen even though it was running on 360 hardware.
its literally overlaying video footage of the actor as a texture and fixing the model to it which is why it looks a bit freaky

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This was a bad showing....really bad imo.

It should have been real combat, with her sword. Atleast, end the demo with some action.

This was a real let down for me. I will play it and I loved the first. The tone and vibe is awesome when you're in it but this kind of cutscene should have been left for your playthrough not a show imo.

The fact that this is coming next year and has already been shown like 4 times and they're still just showing in game cinematics is a fail.
No real gameplay. No combat. No puzzles. Haven't even seen her swing a sword yet.

Where is the GAMEPLAY??
This was gameplay. Same for the last showing at The Game Awards (gameplay). It was gameplay that branched off into a cut scene, without the action bits or combat.

While I understand people's frustrations about Hellblade's showing, I'll argue that only the people who've never played the first game have a right to be frustrated. Anyone who played the first game, for more than 3 levels, knows how fucking good Hellblade is. The combat was good, if not a little repetitive. The story was solid. The story-telling was some of the best in gaming history. The voice acting, animation and the overall experience (auditory design decisions) were untouchable. The visuals; stellar.

Am I saying Hellblade was perfect? No, it was not. But it was one hell of a ride. And if you didn't get emotionally worked up at the end, or even cried your eyes out, you're an absolute psychopath.

I'm not worried about Hellblade 2. We'll see more soon. I'm certain they'll make an appearance at the Game Awards this year.

Gambit2483

It’s Ninja Theory, possible that they lucked out with Hellblade 1 since every other game they made was anywhere between mid and a pile of garbo.
And yet MS bought them anyway....I still have faith but yea after 3 years of development that was just weird and pathetic

Last edited:
Honestly I'm starting to get "Hideo Kojima bonur for Stefanie Joosten" levels of creepiness from this game. Somebody high up at Ninja Theory has a mega bonur for Melina Juergens.

I played and enjoyed the first game somewhat well enough but nothing I've seen of Saga has me remotely excited. And that's coming from a graphics whore.

Markio128

Based on the title, those new to the IP may have, quite rightly, expected a blade to have made an appearance at some point. A juxtaposition if ever there was one.

Noxxera

Didn't play the first one. But these voices are super annoying. Is this normal hellblade stuff?
It is! But it's dope af with headphones etc playing the first game. Sound design is insane (binaural or whatever its called) But yeah the voices are deliberately annoying most of the times but thats not your cup of tea obviously.

Noxxera

Man this looks like a crazy psychological experience, but when the fuck are they gonna show us some raw gameplay 😂
Why? There is already gameplay and the game comes out next year, i bet Q3 or Q4. Plenty of time before that to release gameplay. This was just to give ppl something to look forward to.

Noxxera

People who expect this to have some deep combat, or to be a GoW equivalent are setting themselves up for disappointment.
I think we can be sure it will play exactly the same as the first game, and I liked the first game so I have no problem with that, I already know what to expect.
I'd say ppl are retards if they expect Hellblade 2 to be GoW equivalent of a game. But what do I know maybe I'm wrong but it's definitely not the expectations I have.

Noxxera

I like a good narrative-driven game as much as the next guy, but the lack of gameplay is a huge L for Ninja Theory.

After all that emotional build-up from the character performance, I was expecting it to smoothly transition into gameplay and it just...never happened.
The game has great visuals, but I have yet to be impressed by any mechanics and game design ideas.
I was eager to see how Ninja Theory could explore the concepts mechanically similar to Senua's psychosis in Senua's Sacrifice
The previous showing was too scripted for my liking. If you're going to be an action game, then be an action game.

I've definitely cooled off on Hellblade II after still just one unremarkable gameplay trailer, and now multiple cinematic trailers.
No release date on top of that is just a kick in the nuts, but a release window is better than nothing. A rather disappointing showing imo.

If I recall, this was literally the first Xbox exclusive, shown off all the way back in 2019. They announced this way too early it seems.
Funny you say "Way to early". Just think maybe you'd bitch next year about the gameplay they should've shown today was shown "too early" too. Damn you fucktards cant be satisfied huh.

Noxxera

Honestly I'm starting to get "Hideo Kojima bonur for Stefanie Joosten" levels of creepiness from this game. Somebody high up at Ninja Theory has a mega bonur for Melina Juergens.

I played and enjoyed the first game somewhat well enough but nothing I've seen of Saga has me remotely excited. And that's coming from a graphics whore.
You mean the entire studio right? It's not one boss deciding to keep her as the lead. It came naturally for them and you'd know that if you watched the BTS documentary. Don't know what to say, I'd say you're just stupid af if you aren't excited for the graphics in 2 after playing the first game.

Noxxera

This was gameplay. Same for the last showing at The Game Awards (gameplay). It was gameplay that branched off into a cut scene, without the action bits or combat.

While I understand people's frustrations about Hellblade's showing, I'll argue that only the people who've never played the first game have a right to be frustrated. Anyone who played the first game, for more than 3 levels, knows how fucking good Hellblade is. The combat was good, if not a little repetitive. The story was solid. The story-telling was some of the best in gaming history. The voice acting, animation and the overall experience (auditory design decisions) were untouchable. The visuals; stellar.

Am I saying Hellblade was perfect? No, it was not. But it was one hell of a ride. And if you didn't get emotionally worked up at the end, or even cried your eyes out, you're an absolute psychopath.

I'm not worried about Hellblade 2. We'll see more soon. I'm certain they'll make an appearance at the Game Awards this year.
Preach! Lots of stupid posters in this thread for sure. They want action, action, action in spades every trailer then they're satisfied.

fallingdove

Helblade was average. And if you can’t understand why people would be concerned with gameplay that consisted of holding forward for 2 seconds and then having to watch a monologue with obnoxious camera work, I don’t know what to tell you.

The cinematography/performances in these games are bargain bin. It’s only when you add in mild exploration, combat and puzzles that the games are elevated to something worth someone’s time. We haven’t seen any of these things. Just a handful of out-of-context cutscenes.

Spyxos

I tried to play Hellblade 2 times. 1 time normal and once with Vr, which was definitely better, but I never got far. It looks like part 2 is exactly the same again and I think these kind of games are just not for me.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky

Um, she’s the ex of one of the founders of the company.

oji-san

Banned
Story wise as i didn't play the first one to completion:

The whole plot is just in the MC head, right?

Last edited:

hyperbertha

The combat was repetitive after the first three hours and the puzzles were a joke. Needed more enemy vareity, attack types, movement freedom and far better puzzles. So far this game seems like it will address none of those issues.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More nonsense I see 😅
Or just a guess. No feelings need to be hurt.

And don't act like Hellblade was a shining beacon of gameplay. They are mid and always have been mid at best in that department. If we get more of the same as the first game, you literally have a "walking talking cinematic movie game" people trolled Sony about, with less gameplay to boot.

Last edited:
Or just a guess. No feelings need to be hurt.

And don't act like Hellblade was a shining beacon of gameplay. They are mid and always have been mid at best in that department.
Thats an opinion, one I don't share. Hellblade while not for everyone is a compelling experience and I'd recommend sticking with it.

Helblade was average. And if you can’t understand why people would be concerned with gameplay that consisted of holding forward for 2 seconds and then having to watch a monologue with obnoxious camera work, I don’t know what to tell you.

The cinematography/performances in these games are bargain bin. It’s only when you add in mild exploration, combat and puzzles that the games are elevated to something worth someone’s time. We haven’t seen any of these things. Just a handful of out-of-context cutscenes.
Hellblade was average in your opinion.

Quite frankly, you're talking out your ass. With metacritic ratings of 81% on PS4 and 88% on Xbox One, Hellblade was far above average.

And I'll tell you what; that average game brought me to tears, in a way no other game ever has. I have never, in my 35 years of life, cried from a video game. The closest that got me choked up a bit was Max Payne 2 when Mona died, and no real tears flowed. When Arthur died in RDR 2 - that came close; but still, no real tears. Hellblade is one of the most moving, gripping games ever created.

The criticisms about the combat are, for the most part, valid. That said, Hellblade didn't contain any tutorials; if you were a gamer, you figured it out quickly. And if you were a gamer, you quickly realised that the combat had a lot more nuisance to it than first meets the eye. Even at its best points, the combat criticisms are valid. However, I strongly believe there are many people who played Hellblade, and didn't realise they could do a whole lot more in the combat, than just swing a sword wildly and block, and that might be due to the fact that the game lacked any sort of tutorial. There were many different animations for dodging and attacking, heavy attacks, light attacks, rolling and focus (when everything slowed down). It required moments of precise timing to properly block certain attacks too, leaving you with an advantage for a counter attack. Even when you were knocked down and we're about to die, it required your active input to get back up and push through the pain, just as it would in real life. That's actually not something I've seen done in any other game, outside of some QTE cinematic. The animations were smooth, fluid and very responsive. I've seen many people on Gaf complain about being hit from behind in combat. Not realising that the voices gave you prompts/warnings about incoming attacks, and when to dodge. I've seen many people here didn't even know that "Focus" was a thing in combat, that slowed down time. The fact that they made the combat so nuisanced, and were able to use the voices in-place of a traditional HUD or visual combat system was absolutely brilliant. It became very evident to me that many (not all) of the people who complained about certain aspects of the combat are simply terrible gamers, who lack any deductive reasoning or awareness. Because certain elements were not obviously explained to them, like popup pictures in a children's book, they never realised the depth or scope. They gamers who have to be spoon-fed, to get anything of worth out of a video game. Can't blame them though...the industry has spoilt many of us.

That said, there are still valid complaints about the combat, and the puzzles. But get this, the puzzles aren't the shining point of Hellblade, nor were they intended to be. The story is the shining point of Hellblade. The acting. The voice acting. The writing. The pacing. The boss fights. The adrenaline in high combat/stress situations - those are the things Hellblade is about, and Ninja Theory absolutely nailed those elements. In fact, it nailed them so good that the game has above average reviews, by reviewers and users alike. So yeah, you're talking out your ass!

So, respectfully, when it comes to this game, I'll take my opinion over yours, thank you.

Last edited:

DosGamer

After the troll in the cave fight from the last showing.. I had high hopes. Yesterday's showing made absolutely so sense. I left with more questions and I really dont understand the direction of the game.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Quite frankly, you're talking out your ass. With metacritic ratings of 81% on PS4 and 88% on Xbox One, Hellblade was far above average.

And I'll tell you what; that average game brought me to tears, in a way no other game ever has. I have never, in my 35 years of life, cried from a video game. The closest that got me choked up a bit was Max Payne 2 when Mona died, and no real tears flowed. When Arthur died in RDR 2 - that came close; but still, no real tears. Hellblade is one of the most moving, gripping games ever created.

The criticisms about the combat are, for the most part, valid. That said, Hellblade didn't contain any tutorials; if you were a gamer, you figured it out quickly. And if you were a gamer, you quickly realised that the combat had a lot more nuisance to it than first meets the eye. Even at its best points, the combat criticisms are valid. However, I strongly believe there are many people who played Hellblade, and didn't realise they could do a whole lot more in the combat, than just swing a sword wildly and block, and that might be due to the fact that the game lacked any sort of tutorial. There were many different animations for dodging and attacking, heavy attacks, light attacks, rolling and focus (when everything slowed down). It required moments of precise timing to properly block certain attacks too, leaving you with an advantage for a counter attack. Even when you were knocked down and we're about to die, it required your active input to get back up and push through the pain, just as it would in real life. That's actually not something I've seen done in any other game, outside of some QTE cinematic. The animations were smooth, fluid and very responsive. I've seen many people on Gaf complain about being hit from behind in combat. Not realising that the voices gave you prompts/warnings about incoming attacks, and when to dodge. I've seen many people here didn't even know that "Focus" was a thing in combat, that slowed down time. The fact that they made the combat so nuisanced, and were able to use the voices in-place of a traditional HUD or visual combat system was absolutely brilliant. It became very evident to me that many (not all) of the people who complained about certain aspects of the combat are simply terrible gamers, who lack any deductive reasoning or awareness. Because certain elements were not obviously explained to them, like popup pictures in a children's book, they never realised the depth or scope. They gamers who have to be spoon-fed, to get anything of worth out of a video game. Can't blame them though...the industry has spoilt many of us.

That said, there are still valid complaints about the combat, and the puzzles. But get this, the puzzles aren't the shining point of Hellblade, nor were they intended to be. The story is the shining point of Hellblade. The acting. The voice acting. The writing. The pacing. The boss fights. The adrenaline in high combat/stress situations - those are the things Hellblade is about, and Ninja Theory absolutely nailed those elements. In fact, it nailed them so good that the game has above average reviews, by reviewers and users alike. So yeah, you're talking out your ass!

So, respectfully, when it comes to this game, I'll take my opinion over yours, thank you.

Cool story bro. Those are also like… your opinions. To hear you describe what is essentially a parry/counter as some innovative contribution to video game combat puts you on shakey ground — but whatevs.

Great that you had the response to Hellblade that you had. Games don’t have to be amazing to have an impact. Dragons Dogma is still one of my all time favorites and it didn’t exactly blow reviewers away. That said, I think you are still giving Hellblade way too much credit. If the sequel weren’t an Xbox exclusive, the franchise would have already been forgotten.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Who cares what ratings a game gets. Do gamers have to conform to MC % ratings? GTA games always get in the 90s. I dont like those games. So I'm wrong and have to like them?

I thought HB was shit myself. It wasnt even the combat or the voice acting quality. It was the fact I had to sit through unskippable cut scenes all the time of some bi-polar weirdo talking to herself. And that was already a nauseating point in the first hour of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom