• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 New Trailer Revealed. Releasing in 2024 | Xbox Showcase 2023

fatmarco

They are going to let us move the character around right? Like press the left analogue stick, walk forward, press a button maybe to interact with something?

I mean it would be nice if at some point the games director actually handed the player the controls.

It looks like a game where you watch your older brother play the game and you pretend you're playing.

Gambit2483

This games graphics are getting downgraded with every trailer...wtf was this seems like they had to lower the resolution massively to run so decided to hide everything with massive amounts of chromatic aberration looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the screen. The original trailer was crystal clear and the geometry was insane....why do developers do this dishonest bullshit.

They have to constantly develop around Series S. Like I said in another thread, after this showing, I've completely given up the idea of Xbox completely wowing me with its visuals. As long as Series S exists don't expect to be "blown away" by Xbox visuals anymore

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You Guys don't understand. This is THE gameplay. This is the whole game. You fucking walking and listening to your character talking to herself.
Would have prevented that in the first game with the mind numbingly boring combat sections that you just wanted to rush through, but were time gated based on killing and enemy spawning in some spots.

There is a lot to improve upon with that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They're one of those love em or hate em studios. Personally I think their games are shit.

If you look at their game log, most of their games are one part action/one part cinematics. I dont think any of their games sell great. Doing some brief googling, it seems they sell a couple million here or there and that's it. Hellblade 1 sales are hard to find because it jumps from stated sales in old articles to a "6 million gamers played it" statement. Their old 360/PS3 era games sold hardly any. Although their DMC game looks like it sold the best at 4M. Sales trackers show 4M is roughly where DMC games sell everytime.

Given the amount of low sales across so many games, seems like most people agree with me. A lot of style, but not worth buying or playing.

Call me a nutjob, but I think some of the hype they get from gamers is due to their cool studio name. But the second the game is shown, it's meh.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I have 100% faith in Ninja Thoery, they will show the gameplay soon, this was all in-game footage and looked amazing.. you all need to chill.

No. They don't. This game was announced in 2019 and they've shown two very simplistic supposed gameplay segments loaded with obvious cutscenes. Spending most updates telling us how awesome Iceland is. People are tired of waiting and there is a growing feeling that this will just be a linear walking simulator as we listen to the main character talk to herself.

clarky

Gold Member
They're one of those love em or hate em studios. Personally I think their games are shit.

If you look at their game log, most of their games are one part action/one part cinematics. I dont think any of their games sell great. Doing some brief googling, it seems they sell a couple million here or there and that's it. Hellblade 1 sales are hard to find because it jumps from stated sales in old articles to a "6 million gamers played it" statement. Their old 360/PS3 era games sold hardly any. Although their DMC game looks like it sold the best at 4M. Sales trackers show 4M is roughly where DMC games sell everytime.

Given the amount of low sales across so many games, seems like most people agree with me. A lot of style, but not worth buying or playing.

Call me a nutjob, but I think some of the hype they get from gamers is due to their cool studio name. But the second the game is shown, it's meh.
Yeah agree with this. Their games look good but there's not much else. This doesn't look like it will change the trend either.

Dynasty8

Hate when they show pointless bullshit during these events/showcases. What a waste of time honestly. Either show real gameplay or give some relevant info on the game.

Robb

Gold Member
Kind of boring trailer for this one. Outside of the visuals you’d probably be able to fool me by saying it was a scene from the first game.

What I really want to know is if they’ve improved the combat and puzzles.

I’m glad it was at the show at all though. Looking forward to seeing more!

T0minator

I have 100% faith in Ninja Thoery, they will show the gameplay soon, this was all in-game footage and looked amazing.. you all need to chill.

The jittering frame rate in this newest trailer and last years trailer arent promising especially for the Series S. I foresee another 30fps release

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They are very talented on the technical side. It's almost like they are just "so close" to that pinnacle of a franchise marquee game, but it's felt that way since the PS3 era.

I think they suffer in the gameplay set piece beats in their games. Maybe this one can change that, we won't know unless we see actual engaging action gameplay and not the "tech demo" vehicle moving style we've seen so far no different than the Matrix demo in feel.

Last edited:

ryzen1

I think most people love it because of the graphics of Hellblade 2. I mean. There's not much left to showcase the xsx's performance.
I've never seen anyone talk about Hellblade 1 before the announcement.
I even can't imagine playing this without going crazy yourself

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think most people love it because of the graphics of Hellblade 2. I mean. There's not much left to showcase the xsx's performance.
I've never seen anyone talk about Hellblade 1 before the announcement.
I even can't imagine playing this without going crazy yourself
Did you ever play HB1? If not, dont.

The first hour is literally at least half an hour's worth of unskippable cutscenes with the same bi-polar talking to herself segments.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Yeah, I don't think this game is for me. I liked the 1st game (kinda) but nothing so far has me looking forward to the game.

I will say the sound design in the trailer was nice. Would sound really good with headphones.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I don't think this game is for me. I liked the 1st game (kinda) but nothing so far has me looking forward to the game.

I will say the sound design in the trailer was nice. Would sound really good with headphones.
Na I didn't. Someone else already told me that part of the game are those super annoying voices.
I literally go insane by playing someone who is insane :D
This trailer was already enough.
As much as I dint like the first game, it's still the kind of game perfect for Game Pass. Love it or hate, give it a try on GP just for sake of checking out the production values. Then after an hour delete it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just remembered the last Ninja Theory game I finished. Yep. Heavenly Sword.
Only ones that I did were Heavenly Sword (didn't care for the tower gameplay sections tho) but, Andy Sierkis was phenomenal per usual, and Hellblade (only because I needed to know how it ended, the gameplay was boring shite after the initial "this is neat" encounter).

With that said, they did a good job with capturing how "alone" you would feel back in a Scandinavian land when the populace was more desolate.

I really wanted to like Enslaved, but it felt like a "so close" yet wish.com Uncharted. Not even Andy Serkis could get me to finish that one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Only ones that I did were Heavenly Sword (didn't care for the tower gameplay sections tho) but, Andy Sierkis was phenomenal per usual, and Hellblade (only because I needed to know how it ended, the gameplay was boring shite after the initial "this is neat" encounter).

I really wanted to like Enslaved, but it felt like a "so close" yet wish.com Uncharted. Not even Andy Serkis could get me to finish that one.

I think I spent a couple of minutes playing Enslaved and knew it wasn't for me. The other was their DMC game and I thought that was horrid.

Can't say I'm much of a Ninja Theory fan. Their games are pretty though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think I spent a couple of minutes playing Enslaved and knew it wasn't for me. The other was their DMC game and I thought that was horrid.

Can't say I'm much of a Ninja Theory fan. Their games are pretty though.
I remember getting through the Enslaved demo on 360. Was meh. Those were the times. When every game had a demo or trial to see what the game is like!

It got good ratings I think, so I guess people liked it more than I did. Was a very average playing game in a unique looking world. The one thing I will give them credit for is making games with some unique story and art. Problem is, that seems to outweigh gameplay. They are a very production values first kind of company. Thats why for all their games, you never really see them delve into gameplay a lot.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

It feels like aside from these tech demos they don’t have a game. The vague “2024” release date isn’t reassuring.

RespawnX

Going by this thread, hardly anyone here played the original but felt the need to chime in about the sequel, it's ok to feel threatened, makes you feel alive.

The first game was an audio visual experience like no other, following her mental breakdown and pycosis.

It is not an action game.

As a result some people expect a Vikings action game. Hope they keep the direction of the first game. Actually the shown footage suggests exactly this. With they higher budget they should have enough money to improve combat and puzzles.

CamHostage

The first game was an audio visual experience like no other, following her mental breakdown and pycosis.

It is not an action game.

Problem is, they've been selling it as an action game sequel, with much grander scope and more intriguing lore. Like I'd a AAA blockbuster. And they've been selling it that way since these consoles were announced. Almost erasing from minds what made the first game interesting (or, in many cases, not for certain people,) to pitch this as a huge epic action game that for some reason had a 2 in the title....

I don't know how they could have taken the brakes off and restored expectations so that they could be exceeded in the final (at least, exceeded for those who like it's style over substance in play) rather than dashed against hype that this is some kind of mass- market hit in the making. They keep taking this the wrong way though, and coupled with the extended development timeline and the inclusion in marketing of UE5 (MS jumped on claims that this would be a UE5 game before developers had even touched UE5,) this train has run off the tracks and cannot be stopped until it crashes and burns.

It's a shame, we need things like HellBlade, but I worry this sequel will not be received as it should be...

Or maybe, this game will not deliver anything more than a better version of HB1 and that's not what it should be anymore after all this time and talk...

hyperbertha

Lol dude, hide your Xbox badge for one second.
We have already seen multiple demos of their facial capture.
Heck we saw it again at GDC just two months ago.
You're coping hard and there's no need to.
This was not a good trailer no matter how much anyone wants to spin it.

Constructive criticism is what makes games better. Avoiding it is just sending games out to die.
With the way things are looking, this game is gonna bomb review wise and sales wise.
Hellblade 2 was my most anticipated game of this entire gen. But I'm not gonna bite my tongue and cope when things start looking rough...
I mean who TF is impressed with facial tech these days? Ever played la noire?

geary

Problem is, they've been selling it as an action game sequel, with much grander scope and more intriguing lore. Like I'd a AAA blockbuster. And they've been selling it that way since these consoles were announced. Almost erasing from minds what made the first game interesting (or, in many cases, not for certain people,) to pitch this as a huge epic action game that for some reason had a 2 in the title....

I don't know how they could have taken the brakes off and restored expectations so that they could be exceeded in the final (at least, exceeded for those who like it's style over substance in play) rather than dashed against hype that this is some kind of mass- market hit in the making. They keep taking this the wrong way though, and coupled with the extended development timeline and the inclusion in marketing of UE5 (MS jumped on claims that this would be a UE5 game before developers had even touched UE5,) this train has run off the tracks and cannot be stopped until it crashes and burns.

It's a shame, we need things like HellBlade, but I worry this sequel will not be received as it should be...

Or maybe, this game will not deliver anything more than a better version of HB1 and that's not what it should be anymore after all this time and talk...
Did they ever said that the sequel will be action adventure? People like to imagine different shit about games and get bumped when the devs actually show the game and their vision.

We actually have hundred of action-adventure-lite-rpgs games per year between indies, AA and AAA games....What's they do with Hellblade is kinda unique and focus a lot more on audio, than visuals. As you said, we need also games like this and also people need to branch out of they run-of-the-mill 3rd person with lite rpg gameplay.

Top Bottom