• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 New Trailer Revealed. Releasing in 2024 | Xbox Showcase 2023

SABRE220

This games graphics are getting downgraded with every trailer...wtf was this seems like they had to lower the resolution massively to run so decided to hide everything with massive amounts of chromatic aberration looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the screen. The original trailer was crystal clear and the geometry was insane....why do developers do this dishonest bullshit.

This games graphics are getting downgraded with every trailer...wtf was this seems like they had to lower the resolution massively to run so decided to hide everything with massive amounts of chromatic aberration looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the screen. The original trailer was crystal clear and the geometry was insane....why do developers do this dishonest bullshit.
Yeah, there's definitely a noticeable downgrade. This was showcased on the Series X. I think PC at ultra settings might get us what was revealed at the last Game Awards show where Hellblade was featured (the fight with the giant). But, this is definitely a downgrade, and I'm not particularly happy about it.

I realise now that this gen isn't the gen where we get the graphics we were hoping for. It still looks good...pretty darn good, but not as good as I (and others) expected.

Kikorin

Is not like they are not showing the gameplay, this is the gameplay. Sure there will be some battles and some light puzzles maybe, but basically this is it.

Kurimao

7AZ4PFB.gif

Yeah, there's definitely a noticeable downgrade. This was showcased on the Series X. I think PC at ultra settings might get us what was revealed at the last Game Awards show where Hellblade was featured (the fight with the giant). But, this is definitely a downgrade, and I'm not particularly happy about it.

I realise now that this gen isn't the gen where we get the graphics we were hoping for. It still looks good...pretty darn good, but not as good as I (and others) expected.
No downgrade, you guys must have eyesight issue's 😆

I'm aware of how development works - but they showed much bigger and more complex things running better the last time around. There's different ways we can interpret the 'why'.
First time seen running on Xbox is a possible also some areas are further along than others. Graphics are incredible though so framerate issues may well factor on release, hopefully not.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
First time seen running on Xbox is a possible also some areas are further along than others. Graphics are incredible though so framerate issues may well factor on release, hopefully not.
Was it confirmed that last time wasn't on XBox? I had no idea - though that raises other questions for me, but not relevant to this thread.

StueyDuck

Is this actually going to be a game or just her pulling funny faces at a camera.

The first one was light on gameplay but it's pretty weird they still can't show the character being controlled by someone at this point.

mortal

Gold Member
I like a good narrative-driven game as much as the next guy, but the lack of gameplay is a huge L for Ninja Theory.

After all that emotional build-up from the character performance, I was expecting it to smoothly transition into gameplay and it just...never happened.
The game has great visuals, but I have yet to be impressed by any mechanics and game design ideas.
I was eager to see how Ninja Theory could explore the concepts mechanically similar to Senua's psychosis in Senua's Sacrifice
The previous showing was too scripted for my liking. If you're going to be an action game, then be an action game.

I've definitely cooled off on Hellblade II after still just one unremarkable gameplay trailer, and now multiple cinematic trailers.
No release date on top of that is just a kick in the nuts, but a release window is better than nothing. A rather disappointing showing imo.

If I recall, this was literally the first Xbox exclusive, shown off all the way back in 2019. They announced this way too early it seems.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Biggest disappointment of the show for me. Not because of visuals or whatever, but the fact that they chose to show this segment vs actual gameplay.

Reminds me of when MS chose to use MP footage to showcase Gears 5 at E3 instead of going with campaign gameplay.

DonJorginho

Banned
Was so excited for this but was by far the biggest letdown, albeit graphically stunning but was essentially a on rails cutscene with nothing interesting, I don't have faith in this game making 2024.

Bartski

Gold Member
Just another glimpse at the graphics bar of gameplay in engine, rather than any actual gameplay. Not sure what's everyone so upset by.
Sure would be nice to finally see some real meat on the bone and it's weird they are somehow not ready to do that but I don't think anyone expects it to have any less combat than the first game, way more if anything and much better in execution and variety.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Fucking put me to sleep and killed the momentum of the show. I don’t get what this trailer was supposed to accomplish

DonJorginho

Banned
Just another glimpse at the graphics bar of gameplay in engine, rather than any actual gameplay. Not sure what's everyone so upset by.
Sure would be nice to finally see some real meat on the bone and it's weird they are somehow not ready to do that but I don't think anyone expects it to have any less combat than the first game, way more if anything and much better in execution and variety.
People are right to be upset, this was announced back in what 2019? And we've seen nothing but a bit of walking and crawling through crevices, if the game was truly near ready for 2024 you'd think they would have more than a shockingly dull cutscene (in game rendering but still a cutscene)

Bartski

Gold Member
People are right to be upset, this was announced back in what 2019? And we've seen nothing but a bit of walking and crawling through crevices, if the game was truly near ready for 2024 you'd think they would have more than a shockingly dull cutscene (in game rendering but still a cutscene)
True but that has nothig to do with how the final game will look and play. It's about time we saw some gameplay but for some reason it's not there yet. I also suspect 2019 is when they only started working on it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Considering how little was going on in the shown sequence, I'd expect any gameplay to offer even lower fidelity visuals.

To be fair, performance should improve as it moves closer to release, but honestly nice mocap aside this was severely underwhelming compared to previously shown footage.

Elginer

Not excited for this at all but then again it aint for me. I didnt like the first and this looks like all the work has gone into graphics and as usual NT so so gameplay.

Varteras

Gold Member
We're now three and a half years after its announcement and this is what they have? Like others, I'm thinking this is basically what the game is. A walking simulator with the character constantly talking to themselves and hearing voices. Much like the first game. I was hoping that Bleeding Edge was an example of what Ninja Theory was going to be about and that Hellblade 2 was going to take the first game's setting and kick up the action like much of their previous work.

DarthPutin

Expected to see gameplay (like everyone), and don't think it's too much to ask at this stage.

I guess I am fine with enjoying dark atmosperic story showing off great graphics. Might just watch walkthrough since I'll get better visuals than my weak laptop and close enough experience.

Hellblade definitely shouldn't betray its artsy roots and you can tell they didn't with this a bit pretentious showing.

Kind of wish we would also get a game with energy of that first trailer (the screaming head one)))

Last edited:

Gorgon

This is my most anticipated XGS game, and by far the worst trailer of the show. Holy shit this was a waste of time.

My most anticipated as well, can't fathom why they made this trailer. The first one was so good, what were they thinking this time. The ambiance and art direction is amazing, but as a game trailer...

Was really wishing for combat segment but oh well...

Would have been a much better choice than this, for sure. Doesn't affect my anticipation for the game, but it's dissapointing nevertheless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom