• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us - Review Thread

Queue the angry incels who will probably review bomb the show.

Lots of people are going to be angry about this for a litany of reasons.

Chalk this up as a major win for SIE, Naughty Dog, and PlayStation Productions.

So many people asked why they remade TLOUP1 and we're about to find out over the next 3 to 6 months whether this was a good idea or not.

Naughty Dog caught a bad hand with the leaks of TLOUP2 and the game definitely underperformed, but they've given the franchise a second lease on life and POSSIBLY a chance at hitting a larger demographic altogether and as a result of remaking the game they can market and advertise the franchise as a somewhat modern game to a new host of fans.

The trailer crossed 16 million and my guess is will get a boost over the next week or two as people start sharing it around again. Definitely has potential to be HBOs 2nd most popular show to Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon.

The funny thing about it is that people are genuinely going to be angry about this due to their agendas.

Last edited:
The first game was amazing. Anyone know if how far they get with the 9 episodes gamewise ? I suppose if they are hour long or so that might be enough to do the whole game.

I'm sure the remaining episodes won't contain stuff written from the game Neil wrote back then :messenger_tears_of_joy:
yeah they both co wrote the show based on the game Druckmann wrote by himself we know

imagine saying Peter Jackson and his wife wrote like 90% of The Lord of the Rings movies lol

if only the books had had words in them. maybe Pete woulda only had to write 80% himself

No, both of them co-wrote the first two episodes. Mazin wrote seven.
pachah.png
The other guy wrote one. So what the fuck does that mean, exactly? If you Sony fanboys don't let up, i'm gonna keep going because i got one hour of free time on my hands.

I don't know how much of the script from the game will be transferred in the TV show, but you can bet your ass it's not gonna be 1:1, and you can also bet your left nut that Mazin will have his talent poured all over it.

Bringing a book analogy in
jayzbiglaugh2.png

Seems like the show will be a big success and it will be a perfect example of the synergy between games and movies Sony wants to create, the show will bring more people to the games.

That's the big test. I think we saw success in that with Cyberpunk and The Witcher but not sure we did with Castlevania, but that's exactly why they remade TLOUP1 whereas Castlevania kind of just got ports and wasn't really able to capitalize on anything. Uncharted similarly didn't really get a boost either. So I think Sony has to ask themselves why did 2015's Witcher 3 get a boost whereas 2016's Uncharted 4 didn't.

Ultimately, I think TV shows have a greater ability to drive game sales than movies unless the movies are smash hits. I also think that Witcher 3 was in a very different place than Uncharted. Witcher was successful but hadn't peaked. Uncharted 4 very much peaked.

kyliethicc

watch. the Neil Druckmann haters will suddenly LOVE Craig Maizin lol

the cope must go on
No, both of them co-wrote the first two episodes. Mazin wrote seven.
pachah.png
The other guy wrote one. So what the fuck does that mean, exactly? If you Sony fanboys don't let up, i'm gonna keep going because i got one hour of free time on my hands.

... and you can also bet your left nut that Mazin will have his talent poured all over it.

told ya lol

now lol

I don't know how much of the script from the game will be transferred in the TV show, but you can bet your ass it's not gonna be 1:1

HBO’s “The Last of Us” places a lot of faith in its source material’s writing. The TV adaptation doesn’t veer far from the script set by the video game. That confidence is not misplaced.

There are scenes throughout the first season that are direct line reads of key scenes from the game. The nine episodes follow the exact same story beats and almost the same locations as the original game too. People who know the game by heart will likely be able to recite some lines right as they’re being spoken in the show. I’ve played the game dozens of times over the years. Watching the show, I felt like some old stage actor, seeing others reading lines I knew by heart, repeating actions just as I had performed them in 2013 and many times since.

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Last edited:
told ya lol

Let me subvert your expectations by saying that i'm not a hater, and i am having fun. But i see you're not biting, so i'll stop.

But let's be serious for a sec. here. I like the first game quite a bit, and i would never dismiss Neil. They're probably going to stick close to the source material because Craig is a huge fan.

EDIT: Why the hell did you bite and edit 5 minutes later?! God damn. Yes, yes, i read the reviews.

Last edited:
Off topic:
Is this the first adaptation that actually matches the precedent set by its video game original?
I see a lot of reviews mention that and tbh I myself struggle to remember if there’s been a movie/tv-show adaptation of a video game that is considered great by fans of the games and general audience alike.

I would say the original Mortal Kombat movie did very well and was positively received by fans.

Castlevania has been very well received as has Cyberpunk 2077.

The reality is if you put passion and production value into these adaptions they'll do well and be well received. We had the same story with the 90s and early 2000s comic book movies. The ones that were more serious endeavors were better received. The Video Game industry realizes that they can market their characters in a very lucrative film industry that might be getting super hero fatigue.

Uncharted's movie wasn't great and it made at least 160 million in profit. That's quite a bit from a half-hearted attempt. Sony's in the mix of early marvel quality though where they don't truly respect the source material across the board yet, which is why we're going to see what looks to be a garbage Twisted Metal show and maybe an ill inspired Gran Turismo movie with little to no star power (think they're trying to get kids into gran turismo though). Twisted Metal is kind of a throw away though.

I think the general TV Show audience (unlike in gaming) won’t be as shocked by a main character getting offed, Game of Thrones made sure of that several times over.
They're angry because they see it as replacement theory, not just because a main character was killed off.

Jesb

Why’d they pick an actor that looks nothing like Joel. Joel is the alpha strong looking type, this dude ain’t it. Same for Ellie. Looks nothing like her.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

GRRM writing vs Cuckmann and D&D

fun fact people like you did the same shit to GRRM back in 2000

red wedding or joel, book or game, 2000 or 2020, Martin or Druckmann... same whiney toxic idiots

“When the book came out I got a lot of emails, and I still get them, saying, ‘I hate you, how could you do that, I’m never going to read your work again.’ Others say, ‘I threw the book across the room and a week later I picked it up again and it was the greatest thing I ever read.’ What can you say to someone who says they’ll never read your book again?”
- GRRM

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Queue the angry incels who will probably review bomb the show.

Lots of people are going to be angry about this for a litany of reasons.

Chalk this up as a major win for SIE, Naughty Dog, and PlayStation Productions.

I hate almost everything story-wise about TLoU2 but I'm going to watch this show. My problem with the franchise is the second game being ruinjohnsoned, the first game is great. And that includes the LGBT-focused story of the DLC.

There's no reason to hate a first season that matches the story of the first game. If they start the second season by gratuitously killing Joel through an uncharacteristic carelessness at the hands of a gender-reversed Popeye and then they have a bunch of episodes focusing on the drama of a trans person being "dead-named" in a post-apocalyptic world where people should worry about food and deadly diseases, only then will I hate it (i.e. stop watching and whine about it on forums).

Here at GAF, when we hate we must hate with purpose. We're not animals who hate through a wide brush. We're not resetarded.

kyliethicc

Why’d they pick an actor that looks nothing like Joel. Joel is the alpha strong looking type, this dude ain’t it. Same for Ellie. Looks nothing like her.
here's someone who watched the tv show

"Bella Ramsey is simply electrifying as Ellie, effortlessly shifting between delicate vulnerability, youthful excitement, and determined power. She’s a true revelation and deserves all the credit in the world for making her mark on a character whose previous interpretation has been so firmly ingrained in people’s minds. She’s dynamite from the offset, but Ramsey goes from strength to strength in step with Joel and Ellie's relationship as the season progresses.

Pedro Pascal, meanwhile, brilliantly steps into the well-worn shoes of Joel Miller, southern fried drawl and all, carrying himself in a convincingly experienced and world-weary way. He’s often brooding and quiet – acting as a foil to Ellie’s infectious energy – and able to powerfully express deep emotion through a single look of his eyes. He fits the role perfectly; stoic in the face of adversity and able to position himself at each end of Joel’s emotional spectrum, from warmly caring to ruthlessly violent."
Simon Cardy, IGN

I think we see the big difference here between TLOU and Halo.

TLOU > PlayStation Productions + HBO + Craig Mazin (Chernobyl)
Halo > Amblin TV + Paramount + Steven Kane and Kyle Killen (???)

Ultimate the Halo showrunners didn't respect the source material and have since left the show. Paramount renewed for a second season, but it's because they don't have any content. A second season with new showrunners could be better or they could feel pigeonholed by the first season. Unlikely to bring viewers back regardless and they know it.

You have to have a vision i.e. your own studio, and you need to bring in top talent to produce. We'll ultimately see what Sony does, but they have a lot riding on Horizon and God of War on Netflix and Amazon respectively.

Ar¢tos

So... Incoming TLOU Part I re-remake with characters looking like the TV show actors, no spores and whatever other changes they have made?

I hope ND/HBO don't forget the T-shirts, mugs, lunchboxes, bobble head toys, mouse pads, etc!

begotten

The show will cover whole Tlou p1.

What's crazy is from what I've read people are liking how parts from the game have been translated into the show, but there seems to be a lot of love for the new content itself (some saying it's the best part) - new / filler content in video game adaptions is what usually brings them all down and make them shit but it's the opposite effect here.

Last edited:
So... Incoming TLOU Part I re-remake with characters looking like the TV show actors, no spores and whatever other changes they have made?

I hope ND/HBO don't forget the T-shirts, mugs, lunchboxes, bobble head toys, mouse pads, etc!
I think they'd be more likely to sell an add-on pack that uses the in-show skins or closer to them, but I don't see that happening since the voices would still be off and you're not going to redub the whole game.

But maybe something along the lines of the clothing that they end up wearing in the show.

I’m glad that it’s great. It means that its well told story will reach a new audience.

I’m still not interested though, regardless of how good it is, I feel like I would be wasting time watching something I’ve already played.

Banjo64

cumsessed
fun fact people like you did the same shit to GRRM back in 2000

red wedding or joel, book or game, 2000 or 2020, Martin or Druckmann... same whiney toxic idiots

- GRRM

People were probably upset by the brutality and the fact that the expectations were actually subverted. Not the shitty flawed writing and characters acting different to their nature just to fit the narrative.

Toxic whiney idiot :messenger_tears_of_joy: insert just consume product video here.

What's crazy is from what I've read people are liking how parts from the game have been translated into the show, but there seems to be a lot of love for the new content itself - new / filler content in video game adaptions is what usually brings them all down and make them shit but it's the opposite effect here.

I think when it deviates from the intent of the source material. I don't think filling in the blanks that were probably cut from the game is generally looked poorly upon.

Castlevania really proves this, where they keep the general framework of the story and build around it. Cyberpunk is literally a side story.

Very different from Resident Evil, Mario, and Street Fighter.

Yoboman

I hate almost everything story-wise about TLoU2 but I'm going to watch this show. My problem with the franchise is the second game being ruinjohnsoned, the first game is great. And that includes the LGBT-focused story of the DLC.

There's no reason to hate a first season that matches the story of the first game. If they start the second season by gratuitously killing Joel through an uncharacteristic carelessness at the hands of a gender-reversed Popeye and then they have a bunch of episodes focusing on the drama of a trans person being "dead-named" in a post-apocalyptic world where people should worry about food and deadly diseases, only then will I hate it (i.e. stop watching and whine about it on forums).

Here at GAF, when we hate we must hate with purpose. We're not animals who hate through a wide brush. We're not resetarded.
The most amazing thing is you think your mentality is any different to Resetera mobs

But not wasting your time writing about it... curious.

Oh My God Wow GIF by This Might Get
Took me 10 seconds to write that and the context of wasting time watching a show compared to giving my opinion is different. If you can’t get that then you’re wasting your own time.

If you’re trying to be clever, going to need to try a bit harder ;)

Took me 10 seconds to write that and the context of wasting time watching a show compared to giving my opinion is different. If you can’t get that then you’re wasting your own time.

If you’re trying to be clever, going to need to try a bit harder ;)
As if that will be the end of your commentary on this show.

You clearly have an agenda here sir... and it's sad...

kyliethicc

People were probably upset by the brutality and the fact that the expectations were actually subverted. Not the shitty flawed writing and characters acting different to their nature just to fit the narrative.

Toxic whiney idiot :messenger_tears_of_joy: insert just consume product video here.
its the same simple immaturity. feel sad. get mad. lash out

ya know, like part 2 explored. joel died, and you're ellie. angry and lost

Yoboman

Oh please plenty of people have argued that Catelyn and Robb trusting the Freys in ASOIAF was uncharacteristic. Especially in the books

Mephisto40

Huh , well at least the first season will be good . Fans who don't game might be in for a rude surprise in season 2 if they stick to the source material.
If they make another series, it will be based on the time inbetween the first game and the second game,
they are not going to kill Joel off at the start of season 2

And they are also not going to make a third season that carry's on the story from the second game, Naughty Dog will want to write the story of the next game themselves, not be bound to what a TV show decided happens

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
its the same simple immaturity. feel sad. get mad. lash out

ya know, like part 2 explored. joel died, and you're ellie. angry and lost
Saying ‘I’m upset because a character I liked died, however all of the characters stayed true to themselves and their universe’ is very different to ‘I’m upset because Joel started randomly acting like an imbecile in order to facilitate his death’. I’d probably say it’s down to your immaturity if you can’t understand the difference between the two.

Fools idol

Banned
My friend in the makeup industry was able to see it early as well given their involvement with the show and she said it is incredible. Shes a big fan of the game too and I trust her judgement.

A few takeaways;

- actor that plays Joel is amazing. Ellie is good but given shes young the acting wasn't 'as good'
- Indeed, it's very very faithful to the game story. They didn't really deviate at all bar some minor things.
- Acting from other characters is also top quality, 'game of thrones level' (her words)
- Sets, clothes, makeup and clickers especially are fantastic.

Thats all she said. I'm excited.

Top Bottom