• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

handytips.info Rumor: Microsoft to 'reintroduce' Xbox1 @ event/may lower price to 399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox One will ship with Kinect for sure. It's already confirmed by CBOAT, and it shouldn't even NEED to be confirmed. Motion control has the potential to be huge for interactions with UI on tons of different devices so MS will be pushing this tech for a long time to come, as will Samsung, Apple, Google, Sony etc.

That's called capitalism. If you think Sony is any different you're delusional.

Sony did last generation, but if they win this time they be different....

These are corporations. They both suck and will screw you every chance they get as long as they get that money. Hell at least MS changed the bad before the console launched. People think Sony cares about the gamer but in reality it's their wallet.

They are literally the same companies with the same agenda.

This thread is about a Xbox one with kinect for $399. Posters are saying they don't want kinect period...

The 360 is $399 with Kinect right now. I don't honestly see a scenario where MS willfully chooses "lose billions" versus "charge $150 for the standalone camera." A strategy that made them massive profits over the last few years.

All signs point to the xbox one selling out at launch. Why would they drop price if they are already selling all of their consoles?

Handytips.lol

I still haven't been able to make heads or tales of XB1's preorder situation.

I'm sure they will sell out though. Especially if they have fewer units hitting the market this fall.

NIGHT-

The 360 is $399 with Kinect right now. I don't honestly see a scenario where MS willfully chooses "lose billions" versus "charge $150 for the standalone camera." A strategy that made them massive profits over the last few years.

That's why this thread is just about a rumor.. Crazy things happen though, no one expected MS to back off always online and DRM. Crazy enough they did and shocked everyone

jond76

Banned
Unbundling Kinect doesn't mean that Kinect will not be sold separately. I own a Kinect, and I love Dance Central, but I'd rather not pay for a peripheral up front before any decent games are made for it.

But with the promise of included Kinect, you get little enhancements like the stuff outlined in Dead Rising 3, which sound really great.

Without that guarantee, none of those cool little things would ever exist. And it should get better with time.

Dipswitch

I think they can get away with $499 for the next year, tops, and then it'll have to come down by $100 anyway. So the question is whether they think that extra $100 is worth the potential loss of a good chunk of the hardcore fan base that they need to convince the next wave of buyers to pick one up.

Personally, I'm not convinced there's $499 worth of hardware in the box. I think they've been given marching orders to sell their hardware products at a profit going forward and the price reflects the R&D, marketing and hardware costs, with a bit of profit built in. So they can choose to win the battle (by achieving short term profits), but potentially lose the war (By way of eroding market share).

Will be interesting to see what they decide. Me personally, it'd be a cold day in hell before I pay $500+ for a game console, irregardless of who makes it.

No, this thread is about a rumor of them reintroducing Xbone, and that there were discussions about price but nothing is set.

I think that rumor about the XONE media reboot is spot on because it was obvious the moment they announced they were going to be doing a Gamescon press conference.

This is pretty narrow minded. Sony is not exactly the White Knight in regards to DRM policies, or screwing the consumer with some of their policies.

Both companies are capable of doing 180s on anything and everything. Both have shown us examples of such practices, or are we forgetting the PS3 Alternate OS installation?

But wouldn't that require Sony to promise something they have yet to say? Just remember, Microsoft said the every Xbox One can be a dev kit. If somehow, someone finds a way to crack the system and they remove that feature...Other OS indeed.

I think mostly the difference is, its better Sony not make promises now they can't keep that will be an issue if they later remove it, than gradually going up to that. They can add DRM, but obviously it will gradually be put in by that time and more forgiven if the majority of the population has accepted it over time ..assuming

ironcreed

Banned
It makes tons of sense.

I want to play cool Xbone games like Dead Rising, KI and Halo. I know what the Kinect's value-proposition is and that doesn't interest me, nor do I want to pay for it. So I'd pick up a Kinect-less SKU. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you.

Xbox One will ship with Kinect for sure. It's already confirmed by CBOAT, and it shouldn't even NEED to be confirmed. Motion control has the potential to be huge for interactions with UI on tons of different devices so MS will be pushing this tech for a long time to come, as will Samsung, Apple, Google, Sony etc.

No one is doubting that, doesn't mean there cannot be two skus with one not having the kinect.

teiresias

All signs point to the xbox one selling out at launch. Why would they drop price if they are already selling all of their consoles?

Handytips.lol

This is really the crux of the matter. They'll sell all (or at the very least most) of the launch allotment regardless, so there's no need to drop the price. The price is also nowhere near the price disparity the PS3 suffered from, so launching at the price doesn't really run the risk of causing long-term product damage by associating the product with it. A $599 PS3 vs a $399 360 poisoned the well against PS3 mindshare for years, and it wasn't even fixed when the console actually dropped in price. A $100 differential for the Xbox180 won't cause the same damage to mindshare, imo. The initial reveal and DRM policies did that far more than the price, I think.

It makes tons of sense.

I want to play cool Xbone games like Dead Rising, KI and Halo. I know what the Kinect's value-proposition is and that doesn't interest me, nor do I want to pay for it. So I'd pick up a Kinect-less SKU. It makes a lot of sense to me.

What about me, hmm?

Im sorry, it makes no sense to pick up the Kinect-less SKU if it is the exact same price as the SKU with Kinect. You would rather pay for NOTHING than pay for the Kinect? Send me a check for 100 bucks and you can pay for nothing all day long.

agm2502

Maybe they have just understood wrong. I have a feeling they will lower the UK price from £430 to £399. They just thought their source meant USD.

ptuck874

after spending time with bro in law last night watching mlb stream through xbox , and the kinect on, it would pause, stop , show some hand moving even though we were just sitting and talking, no, i dont think i will get any xbone even if the price was the same with that having to be on the whole time ....

Personally I am still going for a PS4.

I don't see much between the two consoles at the end of the day, but its the first party games (PS3s First party games were far superior - with the exception of Viva Piñata and Forza), the upgradeable Hard drive and the way Sony have gone about business this time that has pushed my decision.

Hopefully MS can turn things around, gotta love the fanboys...

Hana-Bi

Well, here in Germany MS reduced the price of the original Xbox from 479€ to 299€ in less than six weeks after the launch.

At this point anything is possible. :D

R-User!

drm woops just kidding
shitting on indies woops just kidding
$499 woops just kidding

at least they're fixing mistakes, but they haven't given me any reason to trust them for a while.

I want the "apps behind a pay-wall woops just kidding" before I will consider buying a 1.

What about me, hmm?

I think the best thing Microsoft could do to win back or attract consumers like you and also push motion control is to include it in the box but allow it to be unplugged and thrown in the closet. Let consumers make the decision whether to purchase Kinect-required apps and games. It would hurt developer adoption but not as much as selling it separately.

Subitai

I think they lower the price Feb/Mar after getting some of the scalper money.

Having Kinect 2.0 always included means that there is the chance MS can also appeal to family gamers out of the gate like the WiiU did. There has to be better content soon though to justify the price.

Xun

Lol!!! And why don't they deserve it? Look how much psn has improved by Microsoft paving the way.
Because Microsoft will at any chance reintroduce the bullshit?

The fact they did it in the first place has left me bitter, and I loved the 360.

Sadly, many will not understand and will even attack you for that post.
Why wouldn't they understand the post?

Dramos

If this happens, MS should still consider to keep Kinect bundled with every console. However, they should drop the connected requirement for it.

Anhkow

Was this site always PS fanboys or did it become this way just after the next gen reveals?
Funny how many of these posts have come from juniors who have registered between June 1-3 of this year.

gif_320x235_5b1fab.gif

TL21xx

Banned
I honestly don't see a relaunch working. The bad press it's already recieved has people on edge with Microsoft that they can't trust that they won't reintroduce those policies in the future. I forsee a PS3 situation at best for the Xbone. It will take a few years before it rebounds. It's too bad, because the lineup MS has is in many ways better than what Sony is offering.

I don't see them droping the price, but that is about the only thing that I can see bolstering support for the platform from consumers in the launch period. Of course, this also assumes Sony has strong software at launch, and frankly, I don't see any must-have exclusive titles on PS4 just yet, at least not like the PS2 did. Maybe I'm just jaded with Sony's studios though.

Anyways, long story short, if they do relaunch, they'll have to be flawless. With their track record as of late, it will be anything but.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well, here in Germany MS reduced the price of the original Xbox from 479€ to 299€ in less than six weeks after the launch.

At this point anything is possible. :D
I remember they gave you money back or something, wasn't that the case?

Anyway I have another handytip.info: mix up your speed and pressure, pay special attention to the super-sensitive corona.

If they're going to do reversals, before launch is the time to do them. It seems now that Don has left, the stubborn arrogance is gone and they can finally position XB1 correctly. Great for the industry, competition is good.

Now Nintendo just needs to follow suit and sort Wii U out.

after spending time with bro in law last night watching mlb stream through xbox , and the kinect on, it would pause, stop , show some hand moving even though we were just sitting and talking, no, i dont think i will get any xbone even if the price was the same with that having to be on the whole time ....

For what it's worth you can turn off all Kinect functionality on the One, which of course beggars the question: Why force it to be plugged in all the time?

Unlike Kinect, rumble is *completely* optional. It can be disabled on the OS level.

Think about it.

Again, Kinect can be turned completely off. It's not an issue for me, personally, that it can't be unplugged, but I can see how for others that would be an issue.

This thread is amazing. Still complaints at a potential price drop. Only in an MS thread on this forum.

I wish they mentioned Illumiroom and showed that at some upcoming show. Kinect is totally worth it if Illumiroom comes to fruition.

But with the promise of included Kinect, you get little enhancements like the stuff outlined in Dead Rising 3, which sound really great.

Without that guarantee, none of those cool little things would ever exist. And it should get better with time.

DR3 Kinect and Smartglass features are optional.

As I posted above, there are many 360 games right now, both exclusive and multi-plat, that have optional Kinect features. It sold 25 million units, a good chunk of people liked it.

Trying to turn this into a black/white Kinect bundle vs no Kinect in anything, ever scenario is to completely ignore everything we've seen for the past 3 years. Until MS starts putting "waggle to progress" mandatory QTEs in Halo 5, Kinect will never be "integral", "critical", "central", "necessary", or any of the other PR terms being bandied about.

Rat Salad

Banned

Its gonna be the new tv remote for gaming,atleast i feel it will. Its all about comfort and enjoyment. Lots of sports jocks and casuals out here. Having Kinect go between tv prgramming and dashboard movment is nice to have. Voice commands within games,Not having to wear those godamned dorkey head sets when playing over Live will be great too. Idont really carehow much of Kinect is built within games, i think it'll be Kinect Sports and a few other games built around it. But i see the gadget used more along the lines as an complimentary device for games, like little extras you can thrown into your games such as optional voice commands or hand gestures in your games or game menues. Just complimentary type level of insertion within the games. Enhancing the console experience and giving the X1 more of an identity and step above feature wise,that might help in its marketing towards its competition. Its an interesting device this time around.

farisr

I believe it was reported Kinect can be turned off?

IIRC...

Yes, it can be "turned off" but still has to be connected to the console at all times for the console to function. I'd be fine with being forced to buy the kinect due to it being bundled with all systems, if I could just leave it disconnected and stash it away somewhere.

I have no need for it, adds clutter, messes with my setup, and adds a risk that could result in you not being able to play your games even if your main console is perfectly operational.

Takuya

Banned
I don't think anybody believes you were ever planning to give MS your money.

I honestly don't care if you, or anyone believes what I am, or plan on doing later with my money, so makes an opinion an opinion.

I gave them money for the 360, and that box thing crapped out on me twice, and also pushed the pay to play online initiative, which I never bought into ( only used my initial trial ).

And its a fact that Microsoft tried to push their draconian policies and are still trying to push their (imo) useless peripheral on consumers, who (and you may actually be surprised by this), in great numbers, don't find any value in.

Heck, Microsoft found there was little value in selling a Kinect-centric RYSE game, so they turned it into a QTE-Controller fest, and also the same for Crimson Dragon.

With the funds they hope to get from fooling the consumer to buy its system based on "pro-consumer (financial)" decisions, they will push that stuff again on the consumer once it secures the mindshare they lost.

Some people here really think they'll knock the price down to $400 with Kinect included? I know MS has done a lot of backpedalling, but that's too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom