• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

handytips.info Rumor: Microsoft to 'reintroduce' Xbox1 @ event/may lower price to 399

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

New thread worthy?

Xbox One Developer confirms on reddit that the Kinect can be disabled, covered up, or turned around and the console will still function. I know some people were worried that the console would ask the user to uncover the camera before it functioned again.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ill_reintroduce_the_xbox_one_at_press/cbdjtlx

Also he shares his thoughts on how to ensure developers know 100% of Xbox One customers have a Kinect, while also keeping privacy concerns in mind. Put it in the box, let it be unplugged.

It's sad that even the Xbox One developer is saying what we've all been parroting:

My thoughts on this has changed a bit since then and that is we should still bundle the Kinect in every box but leave out the requirement of having it always plugged in. We provide the option to turn it off completely, and people are welcome to cover it up or turn it around as well. So letting people unplug the Kinect doesn't change our guarantee to game developers, plus we will get brownie points for making a consumer friendly choice. I think our execs know this.

So, can people stop using the "it's to ensure that devs can use it for games" argument? Even the devs themselves know that packing it into the box is more than enough to ensure 100% adoption. This is just a bone-headed decision by MS, that will only cause stress to the consumer should the Kinect 2 break. Broken Kinect? Oh well, you better get up and buy yourself a new one, before you can play your single player FPS ever again.

If you had clear, rational, common sense descriptions of how this device could be used for very fine tuned data collection and straight up spying, would that actually change your perspective?

Because I've done this run-around a few too many times now.

It would have to make sense and not just be technologically possible.

N2NOther

Banned
You seriously don't see a problem with not being able to do whatever you like, embarrassing or not, in your home, effectively abandoning your largest living space after installing a camera on top of the telly? It's not about having anything dodgy you need to hide, it's about privacy in your own home. If anyone wants to know what I did last night they can ask me, and I'll decide whether they deserve a respectful answer or not.

It's the passive snooping that bothers me. If I actively start browsing websites for 'bomb' 'chemical' 'terror' 'make' and 'huge casualties' all at the same time, it seems fair a red light might go off somewhere. But if I'm just chatting away on the sofa, having forgotten about the mic, making jokes about my schoolboy chemistry attempts with coke bottles and mints that just slayed the entire class and killed our chances of getting out early, that's just silly. It's data mining for the sake of data mining rather than targeted intelligence gathering. Feeling you have to abandon your living room for privacy due to a camera you installed is ridiculous.

Right to privacy is the cornerstone of a free society; there can be no freedom without it. Your kidding yourself if you don't think that the powers that be wouldn't abuse something like this if given the chance. I'm not going to get up and 'move' to another room in my own fucking home to avoid a spy box fuck that.

Why even wear clothes?

That's without a doubt some the most ridiculous shit I've read on any forum, ever.

I contribute to conversations in a meaningful way all the time and rarely get pulled into the conversation. I make a joke post about leaving your living room ad I get quoted 5 times on one page. Ah GAF.

Seriously though, I don't care what they see because I don't do anything illegal or sketchy. But in actuality I don't think MS is going to spy on anyone. I think it's a lot of jumping chasms to conclusions.

Did Microsoft think about what the customer has to do when the kinect breaks?
I mean if it needed to be connected i must first pay $99~$149 for a new kinect to make use of my console. Sounds kinda shitty :p

Probably all warrantied up

money is an issue without warranty.
I dont expect them to give warranty for 5~10 years for kinect2.0
But having no access to my console feels shit...
Just because they want to push a stupid device i dont really want for gaming.
Dont get me wrong the kinect2.0 tech is incredible but im over the waggle gaming phase.
Im getting to lazy when it comes to gaming to even want to waggle.

Alx

Even so does what's the turnaround on getting a kinect fixed?

My kinect breaks so I can't play my console for what a week, two weeks even longer?

Even though the console functions fine?

Would love for this to be clarified

If the console will still run even if the sensor cannot see or hear anything, then most kinect dysfunctions wouldn't prevent your console from working. The thing most likely to block your console would be a problem with the USB identification, and I suppose it's a rare one (I've never had any device suffer from that, as far as I remember).

If the console will still run even if the sensor cannot see or hear anything, then most kinect dysfunctions wouldn't prevent your console from working. The thing most likely to block your console would be a problem with the USB identification, and I suppose it's a rare one (I've never had any device suffer from that, as far as I remember).

Hmm I can just imagine dropping my kinect, my dog getting at it or other various concerns that I don't have for the console itself

Think some might have to worry about the little ones as well

If the kinect 2.0 is dropped from say 5ft onto the ground do you really think it won't be "broke" enough to set off the disconnected thing?

It's such an odd thing to make me consider btw

And I don't think this is some crazy edge case either

People break their crap all the time

I break the webcam attached to a PC and the PC still works

Did Microsoft think about what the customer has to do when the kinect breaks?
I mean if it needed to be connected i must first pay $99~$149 for a new kinect to make use of my console. Sounds kinda shitty :p

I would say the worse thing about this whole Kinect in every box situation is that when /if your actual console stops working that you have to replace it (or pay for an out of warranty repair) with another system that will come with anotehr Kinect. So my system breaks, not my Kinect, and I have to replace both and have an extra Kinect lying around. Sweet, thanks Microsoft. Hopefully by the time any systems take a dive they have an option for sale without the Kinect.

Alx

If the kinect 2.0 is dropped from say 5ft onto the ground do you really think it won't be "broke" enough to set off the disconnected thing?

I wouldn't worry about mechanical accidents (besides their low occurence). You can take any regular webcam and hit it directly with a hammer, and it will require a lot of effort to have it damaged enough to not be detected by a PC. (Case in point)
You could worry about a pet chewing a cable or having some liquid spilled on it, but a fall shouldn't be a problem.

I would say the worse thing about this whole Kinect in every box situation is that when /if your actual console stops working that you have to replace it (or pay for an out of warranty repair) with another system that will come with anotehr Kinect. So my system breaks, not my Kinect, and I have to replace both and have an extra Kinect lying around. Sweet, thanks Microsoft. Hopefully by the time any systems take a dive they have an option for sale without the Kinect.

Also that and you can't really resell it because most people already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom