• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

The game would have been way too easy if it wasn't for the timed aspects. It forces you to make decisions effectively and efficiently rather than just turtling. Though there were a couple missions which gave you time to do that as well, I think it was well balanced in that regard.

The AI leader powers were BS though.

I want a little more turtling in a campaign. I wanted, just once, a base, an open tech tree, and carte blanche to build whatever ridiculously impractical army I felt like and going to town. And I never really got that.

m23

I want a little more turtling in a campaign. I wanted, just once, a base, an open tech tree, and carte blanche to build whatever ridiculously impractical army I felt like and going to town. And I never really got that.

Unless I'm remembering wrong there were at least two missions that let you do that. I know what you mean though, maybe try out skirmish vs AI if you're into trying the mp.

Phloxy

Smh still no plans to add xp to the current firefight or to versus ai custom matches. On PC I literally can't play half the damn modes because there is nobody online.

Theorry

halowars2patchnotesupmgsom.png

m23

Jerome is pretty fun to use, still have to try Arbiter though. Apparently there was a recent patch nerfing Jerome?

I did find his mech pretty strong for early game.

Zenner

Finally made it through the demo
after several tries on Easy mode

So - HW2's on sale for the MS Summer Sale - $30 for the base game, and $40 for the Ultimate with Season Pass. From what I understand, the Ultimate version with Season Pass would get me:

• A few extra single-player Campaign levels
  • Some "Hero" DLC character units for multi-player
  • New multi-player ground troops to match each Hero
I'm assuming that extra $10 is worth it, for the multi-player part alone? I wouldn't get it for the extra single-player Campaign levels.

So - HW2's on sale for the MS Summer Sale - $30 for the base game, and $40 for the Ultimate with Season Pass. From what I understand, the Ultimate version with Season Pass would get me:

I'm assuming that extra $10 is worth it, for the multi-player part alone? I wouldn't get it for the extra single-player Campaign levels.

You also get a remaster of the original game.

m23

If you plan on playing the multiplayer, the ultimate version is well worth it. In terms of campaign, I believe it's 2 new missions releasing next month.

So, who is everyone's go-to MP guy/gal?

I have yet to play with a friend, so I usually play MP as a solo guy as one of two/three, often versus AI but sometimes against humans too, so my read of the MP is a little off.

I really like the IDEA of Shipmaster, but find brute force the most effective strat against AI. Perhaps against humans it's different?

Fuchsdh

I've been mostly staying away from Matchmaking, haha. My early skills and access only gave me a few weeks of being competitive before the hardcore people started getting into gear :p

I think overall I still prefer Anders, but I've been really liking Jerome in skirmish too. The mass aura build is an interesting one, but I like how it allows you to punch above your weight with a small army, meaning you have a chance to recover if you lost a big fight, or you can purposefully field a smaller army to bide your time while you tech up.

m23

I started with Forge, then used Atriox for quite a while. Once Colony was released, I used him almost exclusively. Right now I'm learning Jerome.

Akai__

It's semi live. 9.6GB.

Why is the update process for Halo Wars 2 so fucked? Not downloading, redownloading the entire game and causing issues with other games that you have installed. Can't even start other games that I have installed... Just 343i things...

That's the second time that I have been hit with a complete reinstall... 32GB...

It's semi live. 9.6GB.

Why is the update process for Halo Wars 2 so fucked? Not downloading, redownloading the entire game and causing issues with other games that you have installed. Can't even start other games that I have installed... Just 343i things...

That's the second time that I have been hit with a complete reinstall... 32GB...
It is also the second time it has happened to me as well. The download of the patch would not go so I would have to force restart my Xbox then it would start downloading but the whole thing 32 GB. It is the only game that had ever done this to me. Thank god Doom never did this or I would lose my fucking mind because of how large that game became.

Fuchsdh

How's the new mission?

There's two of them.

They still suffer from feeling a bit like multiplayer (control these nodes!) but it's fun to face off against the new units and the big Forerunner constructs require a little more micro and planning, so they're a different challenge.

m23

Nice sounds good, I'll try to play tonight. Too bad we were promised an expansion and given 2 missions. I think the new Firefight at least should have been included.

Will try it this weekend, been going through backlog and finally caught up to finishing this. Finished the campaign and have been doing firefight and AI skirmish matches with a friend (not good enough to go online).

Anyone down for playing sometime?

Fuchsdh

Will try it this weekend, been going through backlog and finally caught up to finishing this. Finished the campaign and have been doing firefight and AI skirmish matches with a friend (not good enough to go online).

You can hit me up, while I'm playing other stuff I'm always down for some Halo. GT same as GAF name.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Been trying to get back into HW2 lately when I can. I at least try and do some of the daily challenges in Blitz. Looking forward to try the new campaign missions.

It's semi live. 9.6GB.

Unfortunately it's been like that since the game released. Every single time an update is released the whole game needed to be re-downloaded. It was incredibly frustrating and annoying to the point where I just uninstalled it, it's beyond ridiculous. And as you mentioned I've never had the same issue with any other game, only Halo Wars 2. I've asked about it in the past on their forums and was told it was being investigated and it might be an issue with XBL.

m23

Sure. You can find my gt under my profile page.

m23

The new missions were pretty fun, pretty meaty. The odst squad was a cool unit.

Also, Serena is absolutely destroying me online. Her ability to freeze my units then drop a Mac cannon or whatever that is, it's too much. I guess it's my fault for keeping my units together at times but it is really annoying.

El Txou

Just got back at Halo Wars 2, man this game is fun. I've been trying out Arbiter on Blitz and he is a lot of fun. Jerome seems to be a little bit overpowered compared to the rest, but still, so much fun to play. Serina I believe is much better on Deathmatch than Blitz, in Blitz I feel she is UNDERPOWERED. Is the flood going to be playable? I would love to have a new faction to mix things up.

m23

Just got back at Halo Wars 2, man this game is fun. I've been trying out Arbiter on Blitz and he is a lot of fun. Jerome seems to be a little bit overpowered compared to the rest, but still, so much fun to play. Serina I believe is much better on Deathmatch than Blitz, in Blitz I feel she is UNDERPOWERED. Is the flood going to be playable? I would love to have a new faction to mix things up.

I don't think the flood will be playable. Maybe in Wars 3 if they make it.

Akai__

The Vidmaster achievements are garbage and not as fun as Vidmasters used to be.

Literally getting punished for playing in co-op, too. Can't even use the Nightmare skull to compensate for the point loss. 3 minutes over par time and we are 6k points short in the 1st mission.

The missions are not even good, so HW2 continues to be a disappointment.

Hawk269

I have been critical about the issues with this game and the way they launched it, but I have to say the amount of support MS has put into this game and the amount of content being added is pretty impressive. Game has been getting better and better and the constant balancing has been great. One of the issues with so much more content is that there are always balance issues, but it appears that the team is responding and making adjustments.

I think we have enough leaders in the game now and I hope they introduce more MP maps and a few more Blitz maps. I would love to see at least 4 new MP maps and 2 additional Blitz maps. The original ended up with almost 18 MP maps when it was all said and done, but right now there are only 8 MP maps and 1 Blitz map. While I love the added leaders and the new 2 additional single player missions, it is time to focus on the maps to use all these leaders.

m23

It's like your wish is being answered, m. :p

Interested in the grunt mechanics. Seems more of a conventional hero than the previous leaders we've been getting.

Took them really long to get it fixed. Anytime I'm paired up against Forge, it's pretty much impossible to win. 90% of the time, I'm up against Forge.

Top Bottom