• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

I won my first 9 games in a row and thought I was pretty good at this game. Since then, I have gone 7-37. Lose constantly. 2v2 or 3v3 war is what I have been playing (and losing).

Anybody have any tips? I've tried different leaders, I've tried different strategies, and just get destroyed almost every time.

EDIT: Last few times I have been beaten by several Super Units at the same time. Tried to go that route...still lost. 8 in a row now that I have lost.

m23

I won my first 9 games in a row and thought I was pretty good at this game. Since then, I have gone 7-37. Lose constantly. 2v2 or 3v3 war is what I have been playing (and losing).

Anybody have any tips? I've tried different leaders, I've tried different strategies, and just get destroyed almost every time.

EDIT: Last few times I have been beaten by several Super Units at the same time. Tried to go that route...still lost. 8 in a row now that I have lost.

You have to learn the units and their counters. Takes a lot of time though, I suggest doing skirmish against ai, and 1v1 is the way to go for learning.

Did you play Wars 1?

Welfare

Scout by the 4 minute mark. Build 2 or 3 more marines at the start plus the Hero to prepare for rushes. Check what your teammates are making so you don't have armies that can get wiped out by the same counter.

Send a small invasion force to a enemy expansion base to get a feel for what the enemy's army is. If your teammate attacks one base, attack the opposite base. Use your teammates as insurance, basically.

I have had streaks of losses and wins and what I gather is those that are aggressive early on generally take the win. Try not to drag out the game to where armies are just wiping each other out with no progress made.

You have to learn the units and their counters. Takes a lot of time though, I suggest doing skirmish against ai, and 1v1 is the way to go for learning.

Did you play Wars 1?

Just through the campaign back when it came out, never online.

Scout by the 4 minute mark. Build 2 or 3 more marines at the start plus the Hero to prepare for rushes. Check what your teammates are making so you don't have armies that can get wiped out by the same counter.

Send a small invasion force to a enemy expansion base to get a feel for what the enemy's army is. If your teammate attacks one base, attack the opposite base. Use your teammates as insurance, basically.

I have had streaks of losses and wins and what I gather is those that are aggressive early on generally take the win. Try not to drag out the game to where armies are just wiping each other out with no progress made.

I will have to do that scouting more to figure out what they are using. Good ideas for sure.

JoeLT

Would love to have a 1vsAI playlist in this game. Skirmish has no progression and I'm not good enough at RTS games for mutliplayer. Not to mention it's dead online anyway, even the 3vsAI playlist.

I still had a ton of fun with the campaign and have the season pass as I got the ultimate edition so would love a 1vsAI playlist.

Theorry

The team has sent word that the YapYap DLC and next Halo Wars 2 patch are on target for release tomorrow, 8/17.
As a reminder, you can check out the patch notes HERE and balance change preview right HERE. For more YapYap preview goodness, check out last week's Community Update Blog and if you missed it, GrimBrotherOne and I did a little Mixer stream last Friday that can still be viewed on-demand over at my Mixer channel.

Here's a helpful reminder of how the DLC and patch release process generally goes:

1. Tomorrow morning the team will push out the Halo Wars 2 game patch. This will include all the fixes and tweaks to the game and will get the game ready for the DLC. During this time you might see the YapYap leader but notice he's unavailable to play - this is normal and expected. We will update the game MOTD with an 'update in progress' message for the duration of the release window.

2. At the same time, a process kicks off to publish the YapYap DLC content into the Marketplace on Xbox One and Windows 10. This process can take a long time - last month it took over 24 hours before Serina was available on the Windows 10 store. Until this process completes, the new DLC content is not expected to fully work on both platforms. You might also see it appear on the store but it will look as if you need to pay for it - this is also expected and the proper Season Pass entitlements will get into place as the process continues.

Once we've verified that YapYap is live on Xbox One and Windows 10 and working as intended, we'll update the game MOTD and spread the word on our social channels and fire the YapYap launch blog on Waypoint. Note that if this process ends up taking extraordinarily long we might hold off on the promotional aspects until Friday (this is what happened with Serina, even though the content did eventually go live late at night).

Remember that if you interrupt the game patch download, chances are almost certain that you'll be forced to re-download the entire game. If the patch appears to be stuck or downloading super slow, our advice is to be patient and let it go. This is an issue that appropriate teams are aware of but unfortunately is not something the Halo Wars 2 team is able to address internally.
Thanks!

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...te/2080f7e6-bff2-4281-b97b-f04661149e73/posts

FyreWulff

New level-locked Blitz playlist

"Play-to-Win – We’ve added a new 1v1 Open Blitz Hopper (unranked)! In this playlist, all cards are locked into Level 6, regardless of what your card level is (you still have to own the card to play it). Starting armies retain their level 1 values. These completely removes the fear that folks might have of getting trounced by a player with significantly higher-level cards than themselves. If you haven’t tried out Halo Wars 2’s Blitz mode in part due to this concern, I highly recommend you jump in and give this a shot!""

m23

New level-locked Blitz playlist

"Play-to-Win – We’ve added a new 1v1 Open Blitz Hopper (unranked)! In this playlist, all cards are locked into Level 6, regardless of what your card level is (you still have to own the card to play it). Starting armies retain their level 1 values. These completely removes the fear that folks might have of getting trounced by a player with significantly higher-level cards than themselves. If you haven’t tried out Halo Wars 2’s Blitz mode in part due to this concern, I highly recommend you jump in and give this a shot!""

Nice, that's a neat addition. I might actually try it out.

Any impressions on the balance changes for Forge?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Halo Wars 2 things they talked about today on that Xbox stream put the game into focus for me again. New campaign and finally a proper horde mode with friends?

Hells yeah!

Played a hideous 2v2 the other day. Enemies were Serena and Anders and turtled hard with artillery. The bonuses on Kodiaks + ice meant we couldn't get close. They won by attrition, eventually.

We could have tried some more tactics but the game went on so long we got zombified. It was not fun!

vsMIC

Played a hideous 2v2 the other day. Enemies were Serena and Anders and turtled hard with artillery. The bonuses on Kodiaks + ice meant we couldn't get close. They won by attrition, eventually.

We could have tried some more tactics but the game went on so long we got zombified. It was not fun!

sounds like you could have countered with air, although resource heavy

R aka Bon

The new Grunt leader is hilarious, I also love that they added the grunt mech from H5 in there, oh and it's probably my 2. favourite leader after Anders now.

Cranster

Banned
Um... I'm downloading a 32GB update? That can't be right.
It's apparently a glitch with Halo Wars 2 regarding the Xbox/WIN 10 store, if the installation of an update stops you have to re-install the entire game. Thankfully the game is only 32GB because if Halo 5 had a similar problem I could see more people uninstalling it for that reason.

RoKKeR

It's apparently a glitch with Halo Wars 2 regarding the Xbox/WIN 10 store, if the installation of an update stops you have to re-install the entire game. Thankfully the game is only 32GB because if Halo 5 had a similar problem I could see more people uninstalling it for that reason.
That's a mighty inconvenient glitch to have. And they haven't fixed it? Because I swear this has happened before.

Just got this game on X1. Did the trick where I install the game offline then take it online so it only downloads the update...dam update is 20GB...guess I won't be playing for a while. Could be worse I guess Gears of War 4 update was 43GB.

Akai__

That's a mighty inconvenient glitch to have. And they haven't fixed it? Because I swear this has happened before.

I have a hard time believing them that this is a Store issue, like they are saying. With that being said, this was like the 7th time that I had to do a full re-install and the latest update made it so that I couldn't even launch the game anymore. Deleted it, until they figure their shit out.

Maybe it will work once the Xbox One X is out...

Granted, I haven't played this game in a couple months...but when the update prompted me to download THE ENTIRE GAME again, I uninstalled. Sorry gang, limited amount of bandwidth, work from home, need a solid connection.

(I also realize people are probably tired of reading this, so sorry.)

m23

I found it easier than HW DE on Legendary, honestly. Only think I outright failed a single mission (the one with the strato-sentinel.)

I never beat Halo Wars 1 on legendary, it was too difficult for me back then. That's why I was surprised when I beat 2 on legendary. Was really fun as well rather than being frustrating.

Grisby

Man, downloading the whole game again every time there's an update blows.

Is that Flood DLC coming out pretty soon? Do we know the size of it? Length?

Zeneric

You guys think Halo Wars 2 will come to Steam eventually (Halo Wars already is on Steam)? I want to play Halo Wars 2 on PC but I refuse to touch MS's store because I'm Steam's slave. I don't want to betray Steam.

Fuchsdh

You guys think Halo Wars 2 will come to Steam eventually (Halo Wars already is on Steam)? I want to play Halo Wars 2 on PC but I refuse to touch MS's store because I'm Steam's slave. I don't want to betray Steam.

I doubt it, honestly, just because of the Play Anywhere stuff and the fact that they don't seem to have figured out unified multiplayer.

Hawk269

Awakening the Nightmare is up.. Shame i have download everything again :(

Odd, it is just downloading the update for me on PC. I have had pretty much zero issues with the Windows store, I know that is far from the norm, so counting my blessings.

Too bad I wont be able to play it tonight...will have to wait till tomorrow.

Just happy we have 2 more MP maps to play on after all this time. I hope that we get at least another 4 MP maps, but not going to hold my breath on that one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Odd, it is just downloading the update for me on PC. I have had pretty much zero issues with the Windows store, I know that is far from the norm, so counting my blessings.

Too bad I wont be able to play it tonight...will have to wait till tomorrow.

Just happy we have 2 more MP maps to play on after all this time. I hope that we get at least another 4 MP maps, but not going to hold my breath on that one.

I have had issues on Xbox with every update....oh well.

I'm looking forward to the campaign and the new Firefight.

Omni

Wait what the shit, 40GB update? The expansion is released today? I had no idea. Good time to return to the game I guess

Downloading noooow. Though I assume Xbox is being shitty and making me download the entire game again

Lucifon

Wait what the shit, 40GB update? The expansion is released today? I had no idea. Good time to return to the game I guess

Downloading noooow. Though I assume Xbox is being shitty and making me download the entire game again
A classic Halo Wars 2 bug which never seems to get fixed. Amount of times me and my buddy's have redownloaded the entire game is beyond absurd.

Fuchsdh

A classic Halo Wars 2 bug which never seems to get fixed. Amount of times me and my buddy's have redownloaded the entire game is beyond absurd.

I haven't had any issues with it. There have been times when the download seems to bork but if I leave it alone it ultimately downloads fine without trying to redo the entire thing.

CyReN

Got caught redownloading Halo Wars 2 for the like the 5th time, you would think 343i would stumble into doing some right now and then.

Toa TAK

Banned
The soundtrack for the DLC is out as well.
Yeah, I don’t get why they haven’t gotten around to fixing this.

Akai__

The nerve of announcing a Complete Edition, giving UE owners the middle finger and seemingly changing the Season Pass content description in retrospect...

Top Bottom