• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My installation is completely borked. Saw on Waypoint that some people have had to factory reset there console. Going to try and do that. Glad I can transfer Halo 5 to my external drive.

edit: Finally got everything going. Played the opening mission and a round of Terminus Firefight. Both are great so far.

Fuchsdh

On the third mission. I appreciate that this feels much more like a full-fledged campaign expansion with the additional cutscenes and more missions. It also helps that it's telling a different kind of story, and it changes up the mission formula more than the original game did when it felt like it had to hew closer to multiplayer scenarios.

Zenner

How big should the update be, without a complete re-install?

The live-stream for release on Mixer.com/halo was pretty good, today. The new spectator mode is pretty cool, too.

m23

On the third mission. I appreciate that this feels much more like a full-fledged campaign expansion with the additional cutscenes and more missions. It also helps that it's telling a different kind of story, and it changes up the mission formula more than the original game did when it felt like it had to hew closer to multiplayer scenarios.

How many missions are there? Probably buying it tonight.

First mission of the new campaign is pretty hectic! The game really does throw a lot at you, and I like that. Not a good mission for turtlers :D

Firefight is ace. It's also bloody brutal: them waves don't stop, and they don't take prisoners after about wave 15.

RobRivers

So ultimate edition does not include expansion and complete edition does not include halo wars 1 definitive :/

What do you think it is the best option for newcomers? Definitive+wait a sale or complete +halo wars de?

I did not know the expansion released. I hope I do not have to redownload the game fucking again to update it.

Edit: Yep happened again. Installation stops try updating again. Now I have to download all 41 GB. This is the only fucking game that ever does this.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I didn't even know the expansion was out until an "All Halo Wars 2 DLC Cutscenes" video appeared on my youtube wall this morning. I'll probably play this next week.

Thebonehead

Banned
So I bought the ultimate edition digitally from Amazon for £16, but haven't played it yet.

I was saving it for the one X, but having just finished prey I'm looking to invest some time into something new.

Is it worth getting the expansion now or should I play through without first?

m23

So I bought the ultimate edition digitally from Amazon for £16, but haven't played it yet.

I was saving it for the one X, but having just finished prey I'm looking to invest some time into something new.

Is it worth getting the expansion now or should I play through without first?

You should probably play the base game first then pick up the expansion if you enjoy it. The ultimate edition contains plenty of content to keep you busy in the meantime.

Edit: played a bit of the expansion last night, those blur cutscenes are just too good.

Thebonehead

Banned
You should probably play the base game first then pick up the expansion if you enjoy it. The ultimate edition contains plenty of content to keep you busy in the meantime.

Edit: played a bit of the expansion last night, those blur cutscenes are just too good.

Roger that.

Will spin up the base game tonight.

Grisby

On the third mission of the new DLC. Not my favorite mission but it does have a different enough objective rather than just doing the turtle.

The mission before this was awesome and really made me feel like I was doing a
proper retreat.

Good stuff, both with the banished and the return of the flood. Can't wait to try out firefight.

Edit- Wow. Logged back on tonight and all of my saved games are gone. Some of my cg movies I unlocked are missing in the theater too. Missions like Spearbreaker and the previous Nightmare missions that I've completed show "completed" but all of my optional objectives and stuff that i finished aren't showing up, like I never played it.

My rank is still there but I kind of cared about those saved games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the Awakening the Nightmare live stream from the other day.. Pretty interesting since they cover some of the lore, design and art concepts that went into making the expansion.

Grisby

Just an update I tried reinstalling and my saves are still gone. When I go to "manage game" in the Xbox settings my save is still there along with that 256mb reserve space deal. Strange.

Welfare

God damn it, I was going to update the game, said it needed space, deleted a game, it would never update, and now I have to download the whole game again. I was going after the weekly challenge achievement and I don't remember if I did this week's, so I might be screwed out of that.

God damn it, I was going to update the game, said it needed space, deleted a game, it would never update, and now I have to download the whole game again. I was going after the weekly challenge achievement and I don't remember if I did this week's, so I might be screwed out of that.
I had this problem too, except now the game itself also refuses to install. Freezes at 8.88GB every single time.

That's how the expansion ends? Are you kidding me?

They defeat the flood? Basically the expansion almost might not as well have happened? Atriox is weaker is the only real consequence?
No interesting Gravemind chatter? Or flood controlled characters?

Gosh darn it, not what I'm looking for when it comes to flood fiction opportunities.

I haven’t bought the expansion since I wanted to get something clarified first that I hope you guys can help me with.

1) How many blur cutscenes are there in relation to the base game?

2) How many missions are there in relation to the base game?

m23

They defeat the flood? Basically the expansion almost might not as well have happened? Atriox is weaker is the only real consequence?

Gosh darn it, not what I'm looking for when it comes to flood fiction opportunities.

I think we will see more of the flood. One of the phoenix logs kind of hints at the return of gravemind. Whether that means Halo Wars 3 or Halo 6, I don't know. Considering all the work that went into making these new flood forms, I definitely think we will see more of them, and I really hope so. The flood are fascinating when it comes to Halo lore.

I'm a bit out of the loop with the Halo lore, but this was still a Proto-Gravemind, so perhaps that's the reason for no dialogue from it.

Had a great time with the expansion, really good to see the Flood back, loved how they really nailed the way they attack and came up with some cool enemy types. Shoutout to Blur for more great cut-scenes as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm digging Pavium as a leader in Blitz. Also I seem to be having an easier time finding matches.. Wonder if the game saw an uptick in sales with Awakening the Nightmare and complete edition?

Grisby

I'm digging Pavium as a leader in Blitz. Also I seem to be having an easier time finding matches.. Wonder if the game saw an uptick in sales with Awakening the Nightmare and complete edition?
Could. I know I'm playing more myself.

Although it turns out other people have had the save lost issue on the Waypoint forums. Made a ticket over there so hopefully someone answers.

Mesharey

It's annoying when there's an update you have to download the WHOLE game again!
I just downloaded 40GB yesterday for it, and I have to download that again today!

Iceman829

I haven't played this game in forever. My installation fucked up a long time ago and I wasn't going to reformat my external drive. It's sad how MS can't fix their own game on their own console. I also tried to get support to refund me because the game is unplayable on my console and they said they couldn't. I was planning to buy a new HDD when I pick up my X1X, so maybe I'll try installing it again then. I still can't believe they haven't fixed this major bug from back in May

I haven't played this game in forever. My installation fucked up a long time ago and I wasn't going to reformat my external drive. It's sad how MS can't fix their own game on their own console. I also tried to get support to refund me because the game is unplayable on my console and they said they couldn't. I was planning to buy a new HDD when I pick up my X1X, so maybe I'll try installing it again then. I still can't believe they haven't fixed this major bug from back in May

Apparently the reason the installations were fucked up was that a portion of the game got corrupted on the store servers, and the Xbox One itself had no way of handling the corrupted files. So when you tried to uninstall, the corrupted portion stayed on the drive and it became impossible to remove /overwrite it. Given the uniqueness of the issue it took 343i, CA, the Xbox OS team, and the store team a while to figure out, but apparently the OS team has a fix now. I don't know if it's in the most recent OS update or not though. It's also the reason the most recent few patches have triggered full game downloads - the store team completely flushed the game from their servers and replaced everything, which caused everything to download again in the update process.

At least, that was the case of the issue that I was having from September or so until a earlier this month. I don't know anything about May.

Fuchsdh

In Blitz, is there anything you can do about people who park their Kodiaks in the base?

Flanking with air or calling in leader powers to break them is my best suggestion. I’ve also stuck cloaked Kodiaks behind them to distract and soften them up for a push.

Iceman829

Apparently the reason the installations were fucked up was that a portion of the game got corrupted on the store servers, and the Xbox One itself had no way of handling the corrupted files. So when you tried to uninstall, the corrupted portion stayed on the drive and it became impossible to remove /overwrite it. Given the uniqueness of the issue it took 343i, CA, the Xbox OS team, and the store team a while to figure out, but apparently the OS team has a fix now. I don't know if it's in the most recent OS update or not though. It's also the reason the most recent few patches have triggered full game downloads - the store team completely flushed the game from their servers and replaced everything, which caused everything to download again in the update process.

At least, that was the case of the issue that I was having from September or so until a earlier this month. I don't know anything about May.

Most recent fix didn't fix it. I'm in the alpha program. I'm still sending in tickets each build complaining.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
https://www.pcgamesn.com/halo-wars-2/halo-wars-2-player-count?tw=PCGN1

Halo Wars 2 seems to have entered and quickly exited the public consciousness, but it seems the consolized RTS’s player counts aren’t too shabby, even a year after release. The game sees around 30,000 unique players weekly, which is a much healthier level of interest than you might expect.
I still play weekly and I still get matched with people from all different levels.

I'm guessing game pass helped.

Top Bottom