• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

sangreal

The box says "Full game for both XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 PC"

It's the same box available at retail everywhere else.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-s-halo-wars-2-1tb-console/142072

I have had both microsoft support reps and gamestop support reps tell me if i put the disc in my xbox one and then sign into my account on windows store i can download the game there. I know that's false.

isn't it supposed to be a code instead of a disc? I would escalate with MS, I've had good results with them when the ad doesn't match reality

isn't it supposed to be a code instead of a disc? I would escalate with MS, I've had good results with them when the ad doesn't match reality

Gamestop Customer support is totally clueless.

mA0P0EY.png

dLMN8R

In an odd reversal, PC was an 11.85GB update, which took about 30 minutes. Xbox is 27.25GB, and is at 6% after 3 hours. FiOS 100/100 here.

Edit: Also, my Xbox is on the latest Insider Alpha, which may have something to do with it possibly maybe conceivably. The Prey demo, which I was DLing first, was going about the same clip before I cancelled it for HW2.

I think I did see a bug come in regarding updates on Xbox sometimes requiring a full download. It tends to happen if you start downloading the update, that update is interrupted somehow (even if it's invisible to you), so when the update retries something is corrupted and it starts over from scratch.

But yes, I believe that bug only exists in preview, and was already fixed or should be fixed soon.

Hawk269

The Hunter Captain is amazing. Love him.

I agree, so far he seems like a very good leader. I am really happy that they have been adding leaders as quick as we are seeing...however, I think the need for more Maps for both regular MP and Blitz is really needed. I know that this game had a pretty big after release plans like new leaders, maps, single player missions etc...I think with 3 new leaders since launch that it is time to bring out some MP/Blitz maps and/or the SP stuff. Right now, my preference would be 2-3 more Blitz Maps, 2-3 more MP maps and then the SP content.

I think they should also port over some of the maps from the original game. I think some of the 1vs1 maps would be really good like Blood Gulch and a few others. I am not sure how hard that would be, but I know it would be a big welcome change. I also wish leaderboards and some of the tracking metrics on Waypoint would be available in-game. I really dislike that they do stuff like this, forcing people to go to a different source to get this information. I mean, I am glad it exists, but it should be in-game.

x-Lundz-x

OK, so I bought this on release along with my buddy so we could coop the campaign. We have not had time to play until now, so almost three months after release you would think we would have no issues playing together right? WRONG.

Every game we try and play we can make it through the end of the mission then the game crashes out and says your partner has resigned. This literally happens during the ending cinema of the second mission every time. We have tried like 5 times and cannot progress.

I am very disappointed in 343i for having their name on the box of ANOTHER Halo game with issues playing online. I have looked for solutions online and see we are not the only people with this issue.

I'm playing on a XB1S and my buddy on OG XB1. Anyone in this thread have this happen to them and can give me anything to try?
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

m23

I agree, so far he seems like a very good leader. I am really happy that they have been adding leaders as quick as we are seeing...however, I think the need for more Maps for both regular MP and Blitz is really needed. I know that this game had a pretty big after release plans like new leaders, maps, single player missions etc...I think with 3 new leaders since launch that it is time to bring out some MP/Blitz maps and/or the SP stuff. Right now, my preference would be 2-3 more Blitz Maps, 2-3 more MP maps and then the SP content.

I think they should also port over some of the maps from the original game. I think some of the 1vs1 maps would be really good like Blood Gulch and a few others. I am not sure how hard that would be, but I know it would be a big welcome change. I also wish leaderboards and some of the tracking metrics on Waypoint would be available in-game. I really dislike that they do stuff like this, forcing people to go to a different source to get this information. I mean, I am glad it exists, but it should be in-game.

We really could use some more maps. I only play traditional versus, not blitz, but even with that the maps are getting a bit repetitive. I can't imagine what it's like for blitz players.

Phloxy

Crazy E3 prediction time. Halo Wars 2 confirmed for Steam at E3 along with first trailer of story expansion content that will then release later that month.

FyreWulff

I really wish you could do something during the countdown in blitz, like at least assign control groups and stuff. Right now it's just "look at your units for a moment"

gamz

Crazy E3 prediction time. Halo Wars 2 confirmed for Steam at E3 along with first trailer of story expansion content that will then release later that month.

Not all that crazy. Halo Wars looks like it's doing good on steam, so it's not a huge stretch.

m23

I think we're only getting two additional story missions. I thought we'd be getting more to be honest.

What have I missed from launch by not playing after the first week gaf? I heat the campaign in co-op did a little blitz and haven't touched it since. Any new content other than that fire based leader, any patch notes?

Fuchsdh

What have I missed from launch by not playing after the first week gaf? I heat the campaign in co-op did a little blitz and haven't touched it since. Any new content other than that fire based leader, any patch notes?

A bunch of fixes, the two new leaders (Kinsano and Colony), redesigned playlists.

Gestault

Did the PC version always have internal downscaling, or was that from a patch? The UI shrinks, but any effects/shader aliasing disappears.

m23

Nothing more satisfying than fending off a jackrabbit rush especially against a level 49 player. Colony is love.

Anion

Man I'm just sick of these disconnects. I can't believe the servers have gotten so shitty lately. Never had an issue before the latest updates

Fuchsdh

Since they haven't announced any balance changes for campaign, I've just been going through solo on Legendary. On to mission 11 now. With the positive skulls on, it's in many ways a lot easier than HW on the same terms, actually. While the leader spam can be annoying (I just save my heals and throw it down in the beam to slow its damage and then split some of my forces) I think the AI and mission structure actually is easier for my play style. Take the siege mission "Under the Dark". It superficially has some resemblance to "Dome of Light", but it's *way easier* as they don't start blitzing your base towards the end and don't pressure all of your siege emplacements. Just sit back, grab some bases, upgrade your tech and then steamroll them.

FyreWulff

Yeah.. but if they want people to buy for Windows 10, they have to make it so there's no downside to being an early adopter/buying via Windows 10. I want other stores to get leverage on Steam to keep Valve hungry. Re-releasing and not having Win10Live <->Steam interop just makes it so it's optimal to wait for the Steam release due to userbase.

I mean I play HW2 95% of the time on Xbox, just saying..

FyreWulff

Well. What's holding MS back from selling UWP packages through other store fronts?

Nothing, as far as we know.

But so far they haven't apparently made a Live<->Steam bridge. So Halo Wars 1 PC is Win 10 and Steam separate bases because the Win10 version uses Live integration (and therefore Live cheevs, friends, etc) and the Steam version uses the Steam libraries (so Steam cheevs, friends, etc). Valve is just as culpable due to their Steam lib licensing requirements... but the numbers just are too much in Steam's favor....

Remember when PC games were just PC games and not weird virtual meta-console releases? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah.. but if they want people to buy for Windows 10, they have to make it so there's no downside to being an early adopter/buying via Windows 10. I want other stores to get leverage on Steam to keep Valve hungry. Re-releasing and not having Win10Live <->Steam interop just makes it so it's optimal to wait for the Steam release due to userbase.

I mean I play HW2 95% of the time on Xbox, just saying..
Would be nice if they allowed for it but I'm not sure the system actually allows for it but it seems like a trivial fix for a behemoth like Microsoft.

Make the Xbox app work identical to uPlay so that the Steam games launch and activate on the Xbox app which then in turn connect you to Live.

Caayn

Nothing, as far as we know.

But so far they haven't apparently made a Live<->Steam bridge. So Halo Wars 1 PC is Win 10 and Steam separate bases because the Win10 version uses Live integration (and therefore Live cheevs, friends, etc) and the Steam version uses the Steam libraries (so Steam cheevs, friends, etc)

Remember when PC games were just PC games and not weird virtual meta-console releases? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I mean that the game will be sold through Steam but still plays through the W10 store. Similar to some Ubisoft titles that are sold, downloaded and installed through Steam but still use Uplay on top of Steam. That last part keeps it compatible with Uplay and all its features. That should be possible for MS as well right?

(Outside of the integration with Steam)

I love the game and all, but multiplayer is somewhat non-existent at the moment. Kind of a dick move to move over to steam and not compensate or handout keys to users who already have the game.

Sure, it is an assumption, but it would be weak if the playerbase somewhat flourishes on Steam and I can't get in on that cause I beta-tested the game because I bought it on the Windows Store (Ultimate Edition no less).

FyreWulff

Would be nice if they allowed for it but I'm not sure the system actually allows for it but it seems like a trivial fix for a behemoth like Microsoft.

Make the Xbox app work identical to uPlay so that the Steam games launch and activate on the Xbox app which then in turn connect you to Live.

I mean that the game will be sold through Steam but still plays through the W10 store. Similar to some Ubisoft titles that are sold, downloaded and installed through Steam but still use Uplay on top of Steam. That last part keeps it compatible with Uplay and all its features. That should be possible for MS as well right?

(Outside of the integration with Steam)

Therein lies the rub, Valve doesn't let you sell MTs or DLC if your game is on Steam via your own service. All DLC and MTs have to be sold via Steam itself and give Valve it's 30% cut. So there's no "buy via Steam, play via Win 10 (and buy card decks and leaders)" option.

That policy is the reason EA and Valve parted ways, and why MMO/F2Ps that are on both Steam and their own developer service either track purchases separately entirely or have a one-time transfer towards your Steam account.

tl;dr corporate politics

Tecnniqe

Banned
Therein lies the rub, Valve doesn't let you sell MTs or DLC if your game is on Steam via your own service. All DLC and MTs have to be sold via Steam itself and give Valve it's 30% cut. So there's no "buy via Steam, play via Win 10 (and buy card decks and leaders)" option.

That policy is the reason EA and Valve parted ways, and why MMO/F2Ps that are on both Steam and their own developer service either track purchases separately entirely or have a one-time transfer towards your Steam account.

tl;dr corporate politics

Just depends if they're willing to give up something in order to sell, or even improve what they have because selling it on Steam and having a uPlay system still keeps them investing in their eco system.

Theorry

HDR lighting may not have been in the cards for Halo Wars 2 at launch, but that's about to change. In a preview of the release notes for the next patch to the game, 343 Industries has revealed HDR support will be added for those with "compatible hardware" at some point in the coming week.

What that presumably means is that anyone with an Xbox One S and HDR compatible TV should see a picture quality boost right away with brighter whites, poppy colors, and an increased contrast in between. Those playing on PC with a new HDR monitor (a relative rarity at the moment) should be able to take part as well.

Of course, there's a lot more expected in the patch across the board. Here's a look:

New Feature: Support for HDR lighting is now enabled for players with compatible hardware!
Players should no longer have a chance of loading into the game without the ability to issue any commands
Fixed a crash that rarely occurred after signing in on the Main Menu
Fixed a crash when playing against AI in Firefight or Skirmish mode
Fixed a desync that could occur in ranked 2v2 games
Fixed a crash on "Last Stand" that could occur from loading from an old save from a previous release
Fixed a crash that could occur when attacking the first barricade in the Prologue
Added allied view indicator to the mini-map
Added 2 new themes to "Proving Ground" Blitz map
Made "Restoration Drones" get more expensive when it is upgraded to its 3rd tier
Adjusted the Foundry so that its always hit by Hunters' and Marines' upgraded projectiles when attacked
Added better "Combat Salvage" visual effects when a unit dies and is immediately built back at base
Removed an exploit with "Combat Salvage"
Reworked a targeting exploit that could occur with using "Extraction"
Pelicans and Darts should no longer leave floating lights above bases
Made it so that "Ghost in the Machine" would no longer disable Colony's "Combat Repair" on the units it borrowed
Spartans no longer strip upgrades from vehicles they hijack
Some tech upgrades were not applying completely to some units
Fixed an issue with moving units not properly attacking Garrisoned units
Units teleported off the map are now teleported back to your base
Spartans no longer increase the level of units they hijack
Made card pack descriptions show up in the appropriate language for France and Taiwan
Added text to the Pelican Transport level 2 when selected on the leader power radial
Added "Upgrade Complete" voice over for various leaders that was missing
Adjusted the audio to the Forerunner structure on Highway to remove the high frequency that could be unpleasant to hear
Audio/music should no longer drop from games played through a playlist
Locust beam is no longer audible in the fog of war
Hellbringers should no longer play Kinsano voiceover when being attacked by an enemy Spartan

http://www.windowscentral.com/hdr-coming-halo-wars-2-its-next-patch

Fuchsdh

Do we know when Johnson is hitting?

First Wednesday of next month, I believe?

I'm happy they're coming out with variants of the Blitz map, but I think they should produce another completely different map too. Blitz doesn't feel like Dota to me, I think it would benefit from different symmetrical designs that encourage different play styles/hold strategies.

Voho

He's actually being released sometime this week. That's what they said in the stream, anywhoo.

Edit: And June, being E3 month, is a double leader month. Does not include Johnson.

m23

He's actually being released sometime this week. That's what they said in the stream, anywhoo.

Edit: And June, being E3 month, is a double leader month. Does not include Johnson.

Woah what? That's crazy.

I wonder if Chief will ever be a leader.

Anon67

Yeah looks like we are getting 1 in July and the last one in August as well.

The game is really fun but I am waiting for new maps! The current maps are mostly great but I'd love some new maps with different environments and more interactivity.

vsMIC

according to halowaypoint the rollout of dlc should have taken around 4hours, now sitting at 5,5 and still not available.

anyway, tomorrow is also fine...

Top Bottom