• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

the_master

Also, I have to say, that I am very happy they left the gritty realistic look (enough with this trend already!)
I prefer this this colorful art direction that resembles more Halo 3.
Int his regards, thy have listened to the fans.

Inhope they can diferentiate honest feedback from console warriors that will never care about the game.

skneogaf

The unreal engine 5 ain’t ready yet and wont be till next year. If the engine they have developed is good enough then they should use that. They wanted halo as a launch game

Then unreal engine 4, basically anything that gives better and faster results than what we have seen. Halo 5 has been out for 5 years.

The game looks awful graphics wise from what has been shown.

I’m not sure I even think it looks bad per se; after all, Halo has always had that toy figure battle look, so maybe I had other expectations.

What bothers me is how drab that little slice of game looked, and the idea that this would be considered a show-worthy slice is just troubling. I get that it’s supposed to feel nostalgic, but it’s just critically unexciting.

Anyone else remember when the Halo 2 attract footage leaked? I want that feeling.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Then unreal engine 4, basically anything that gives better and faster results than what we have seen. Halo 5 has been out for 5 years.

Let’s see what it’s like when it launches. Yeah it was dissapointing but let’s wait

SpartanN92

Banned

Preordered it yesterday.
When it comes down to it, art style/art direction are 10x more important than graphics. In 20 years NO ONE will talk about how realistic RDR2 looks but here we are almost 20 years after Halo: CE and we still talk about how beautiful the game is. What is photrealistic TODAY will not be photorealistic tomorrow, but beautiful art design will always be beautiful and Halo Infinite is a HUGE step above Halo 4 and 5 in that regard.

magaman

Banned
Preordered it yesterday.
When it comes down to it, art style/art direction are 10x more important than graphics. In 20 years NO ONE will talk about how realistic RDR2 looks but here we are almost 20 years after Halo: CE and we still talk about how beautiful the game is. What is photrealistic TODAY will not be photorealistic tomorrow, but beautiful art design will always be beautiful and Halo Infinite is a HUGE step above Halo 4 and 5 in that regard.

LMFAO. WHAT?

Kimahri

Banned
My immediate reaction to the gameplay was that it looked like a lot of fun, then I realized it has been years since last I played Halo, so I can't wait.

I stopped putting importance on graphics a long time ago, so this is pretty enough for me. Clean and sharp IQ is more important than bells and whistles anyways. In any cade, it looks like Halo, and nothing else. That's a plus for me.

SpartanN92

Banned
LMFAO. WHAT?

W9DHKWv.png

LrlKBBl.jpg

You cannot seriously think that Halo 4/5 art design is superior to Infinite?

26CHBfT.png

DrRe38K.png

Kt4vM0q.jpg

Look at these Power Rangers

la6Wieu.jpg

More like HEHlo 5

H6OvZmP.jpg

Its a fucking clown face dude 🤡

fAFm68i.jpg

Halo 4 is the slightly lesser offender but Halo 5's art style is embarrassing. At least Infinite is going for a more classic art style (Albeit with a few misses still). I'll take Halo Infinite's art direction any day of the week over 4 and 5.

magaman

Banned
W9DHKWv.png

LrlKBBl.jpg

26CHBfT.png

DrRe38K.png

Kt4vM0q.jpg

la6Wieu.jpg

More like HEHlo 5

H6OvZmP.jpg

fAFm68i.jpg

Halo 4 is the slightly lesser offender but Halo 5's art style is embarrassing. At least Infinite is going for a more classic art style (Albeit with a few misses still). I'll take Halo Infinite's art direction any day of the week over 4 and 5.

Have you seen the memes flying around about the terrible art style and uninspired design? You know, the ones that every gaming site is talking about?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Never said this was about what you like and don't like. I'm saying that the art design is trash and low quality, and there are objectively technical reasons why.
They are trashing the graphics, not the art style. Everyone knows Halo 4/5 art style is shit, and Halo 4 was one of the best looking games of its time. Halo Infinite criticism has nothing to do with art direction. Everyone praised it for bringing classic art style and that has not changed. Even the music in Halo Infinite sounds like classic Halo.

I posted this guys tweets on Halo Infinite few pages back and everyone was like "343i is self praising themselves".

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty bizarre. How many polygons you push, and what color you bathe them in are two very different disciplines. What's confusing about that?

Grinchy

Banned
For me, its going to be interesting to see what the finished game looks like on XSX because unless the game is 720p/30 on XB1, the OneX version itself will probably be dynamic 4k/60, so what would be the point of the XSX version if its near identicle to the OneX version?.

Because one day, there may be a "raytracing patch." No one knows what that means or what the extent of the raytracing implementation would be, but be excited! You can trust anything 343 says.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'll give a different example so that people are clear what I mean when I say art style not graphics.
Here is an Elite from Halo 2 and Halo 4. The Halo 4 Elite is graphically superior in every way, however the ART STYLE of the Elite is vastly inferior. It changed from Nimble Saurian Samurai Reptile into a slow plodding troglodyte. This Halo 2 Elite is consistent with the established design of what an Elite is supposed to look like. The Halo 4 Elite is not.
VEJwONM.jpg

KH931Rz.png

Actually I think these Jackals are an even better example...Same thing.

bqny67n.png

PcLiNkb.jpg

Now so far what we have seen from Halo Infinite while not as graphically impressive as we all would have liked, the artistic style and design are much more in line with what is expected from the Halo universe than what we got in H4 and H5, albeit with a few exceptions like Craig the Brute for example.

magaman

Banned
People here really seem to have trouble differentiating the two.

No trouble at all. They talk tech, and they talk how the design aesthetics are poor, and why. Everything from unevenness to lack of polish, to missing details, and comparing it to previous iterations.

hyperbertha

I'll give a different example so that people are clear what I mean when I say art style not graphics.
Here is an Elite from Halo 2 and Halo 4. The Halo 4 Elite is graphically superior in every way, however the ART STYLE of the Elite is vastly inferior. It changed from Nimble Saurian Samurai Reptile into a slow plodding troglodyte. This Halo 2 Elite is consistent with the established design of what an Elite is supposed to look like. The Halo 4 Elite is not.

Actually I think these Jackals are an even better example...Same thing.

Now so far what we have seen from Halo Infinite while not as graphically impressive as we all would have liked, the artistic style and design are much more in line with what is expected from the Halo universe than what we got in H4 and H5, albeit with a few exceptions like Craig the Brute for example.
You definitely have a point there. I haven't played the halo series but those designs in 2 look inspired compared to the generic 4. But from what we've seen so far I don't think we can confidently conclude Halo infinite will achieve that level. It just hasn't shown enough. And things aren't looking good.

frogger

Going back rewatched it in true 4k, a lot more details not in the streaming do show up. It is not a bad looking game, just not next gen.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You definitely have a point there. I haven't played the halo series but those designs in 2 look inspired compared to the generic 4. But from what we've seen so far I don't think we can confidently conclude Halo infinite will achieve that level. It just hasn't shown enough. And things aren't looking good.
The art style in Halo Infinite looks more like that of the OG Halo 1-3, than Halo 4-5. Elites dont look like Brutes anymore. Even the music is more like the OG Halo trilogy. Everyone wanted 343i to do that, and they did that. Master Chief is less bulkier.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

I think the CryEngine would have been nice. Its already shown it can do large open world/sandbox games like Crysis, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Hunt Showdown plus Halo would have had access to a much better real-time lighting solution

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm not saying that Infinite will achieve that level, however if Infinite has one massive success already that is that 343 has created probably the best suit design that Chief has ever had. Based off of what we have seen the Elites look much more like their classic designs, and so do the Jackals and Grunts...The Brutes on the other hand are a problem at the moment. They went off course there but not drastically. It is recoverable I think.
The biggest problem I had with their art designs in this demo was the Banished Phantom looked terrible and War Chief Escharum looks like an orc and not a Brute.

pawel86ck

Banned
I think the CryEngine would have been nice. Its already shown it can do large open world/sandbox games like Crysis, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Hunt Showdown plus Halo would have had access to a much better real-time lighting solution

Cryengine is awesome. This demo was made 5 years ago but still looks next gen to me.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I can get over Halo Infinite inferior graphics but Microsoft should really stop overhyping HI graphics engine as if its the second coming. At least Master Chief armor is better in HI than the abomination lego design in 4 and 5.

Someone on Reddit made this mockup to fix the Brutes and I think he is 100% on point. I really hope that 343 tweaks the Brute models to be more in line with this.
97OyKeJ.jpg

Much better, also this person/designer understands that the Banished scrapped together their armoury through force and acquisition not making them brand new like they've never been used before. 343 even said that themselves and then completely don't use it in their art. Weird.

Last edited:
W9DHKWv.png

LrlKBBl.jpg

26CHBfT.png

DrRe38K.png

Kt4vM0q.jpg

la6Wieu.jpg

More like HEHlo 5

H6OvZmP.jpg

fAFm68i.jpg

Halo 5 easily has the worst art style.

Looks better in motion, like usual. It is definitely not a next-gen looking title, but it is not hideous by any standard. Aside from the grass pop-in and the lip flaps on the alien leader dude.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the gameplay trailer at least 4 times and im all in. The combat (which I care about the most in every game), gameplay and frame rate looks super smooth and fluid. Visuals didn't wow me but at the same time, NOTHING has wowed me yet and that won't happen for at least 2-3 years into next generation. But I do like the art style and the game itself does look great when watching in 4K.

Will definitely be playing through the story campaign. My November launch lineup for Xbox Series X is fucking stacked. My biggest problem will be - what should I play and complete first? LOL.

ZywyPL

Banned
Just seen this video. I don't know who he is, but whatdo you guys think about what he says

I think that at the end of the day gameplay>graphics, no matter the game. The story might turn out to be bad/terrible, H5 already took the franchise in the wrong direction and they'll never be able to revert it, they can only continue from where it left or try to spin it in yet another direction, which might end up being even worse. Graphics might get better, might not, but if that's the price of 60FPS and smooth and responsive controls, then be it, because it's exactly the gameplay what will matters in the long-term, gameplay is why all of the great looking shooters die in less than a month, while Halo (or CoD) still stand tall, no mater the hate they get, people simply have fun playing those games, as they have with Minecraft and Fortnite who are faaar from being graphical benchmarks, and that's what ultimately matters, that's what video games are for in the first place. The guy in the video is IMO on point with the people who complain the most about the graphics aren't the targeted audience, most of those people are not even interested in the game at all to begin with, and many are simply trolling PS guys, (color me surprised). Realistically, Halo is a two-decade old franchise, most of its die-hard fans have grown up and play video games to a limited extent, or don't games at all anymore, so it needs to search for new, younger audience, and this happens to pretty much every long-lasting franchise sooner or later, and the old guards are always upset, but thet's just the way it works. Well as always, time will tell, a year from now we will have a clear view of how is the game doing, how many people play it.

pawel86ck

Banned

Just seen this video. I don't know who he is, but whatdo you guys think about what he says

He compared halo infinite campaign to battle royal games like fortnite running at low settings in order to show halo infinite in better light 🤣👌. He should compare halo infinite campaign to other campaigns.

According to him halo infinite is not build for halo fans and that's why fans are disappointed, but I'm not so sure if younger audience will like it either. There are people here on neoagaf who have never played halo games before and they like how halo infinite looks and plays?

Spaceman292

Banned
W9DHKWv.png

LrlKBBl.jpg

26CHBfT.png

DrRe38K.png

Kt4vM0q.jpg

la6Wieu.jpg

More like HEHlo 5

H6OvZmP.jpg

fAFm68i.jpg

Just because it's got blurry textures doesn't mean it has a unique art style. It's not exactly Okami or Ori and the blind forest.

Top Bottom