• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

So weird by comparison to open world games like Assassins Creed, GTA, Red Dead II.

Then you want to compare to the likes of TLOU2, Batman games, Spiderman games, Jedi Fallen Order.

Infinite's demo does not stack up in graphics or gameplay to current gen even.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
at 60fps!

True but Halo 5 runs at 60fps on Xbox One as well and Infinite doesn't really look much better.

4K, 60fps and open world is quite ambitious.
I really don't think 343 are talented enough to pull it off without it looking like shit though.

Grinchy

Banned
The 4K/60 footage is the only footage I ever saw since I didn't watch live. I came away from it so annoyed and frustrated. I had started actually buying into the hype that MS knew what they were doing and got a little excited for a good Halo game again.

I can believe it looked much worse on the live stream the same way that Sony's game reveal looked horrible during its live stream too. But, I don't really understand when people say the 4K/60 footage suddenly makes what was shown any more acceptable. It looks like alpha footage of a current gen game that isn't even impressive for current gen. To hang so much hype and identity for the next-gen launch on this is complete insanity.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
True but Halo 5 runs at 60fps on Xbox One as well and Infinite doesn't really look much better.

4K, 60fps and open world is quite ambitious.
I really don't think 343 are talented enough to pull it off without it looking like shit though.
The problem is, that it actually look worse.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The problem is, that it actually look worse.

Looking at Halo 5 just now (never played it), yep. It's better, both visually and artistically. You could throw a 4K/enhanced version of that into the Series X presentation, and it would go over way better.

I know that open world, and maybe the way Halo does it, with tons of enemies, could be impactful on the limited resources of the Xbox One, but one doesn't expect a game to go drastically backwards. Likewise, I've played some pretty gorgeous open worlds on the same system...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Looking at Halo 5 just now (never played it), yep. It's better, both visually and artistically. You could throw a 4K/enhanced version of that into the Series X presentation, and it would go over way better.

I know that open world, and maybe the way Halo does it, with tons of enemies, could be impactful on the limited resources of the Xbox One, but one doesn't expect a game to go drastically backwards. Likewise, I've played some pretty gorgeous open worlds on the same system...
Honestly enemies does not even react like in Halo, they just stand there and shoot, I thought it was pretty week. Something like a Destiny style, where you don't have to really aim for anything.

Aside from that, despite the hate, I think Halo 5 is by far the best when it comes to gameplay and also graphic. It's probably not "Halo", but it's a solid shooter and different then CoD enough, so it's enjoyable to play through it at least once, since it's on GP.

Psykodad

Banned

Halo isn't even open-world, it just has a large open section.

YukiOnna

Halo isn't even open-world, it just has a large open section.
Infinite? it's described to be sandbox/large world. You can back track to different areas confirmed and go at your own pace and do things, so I think it's more like massive zones, but it's definitely fitting the bill of open world.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Huh? You can move freely throughout the world. You just need to unlock the sections by beating missions. It is open world.
Infinite? it's described to be sandbox/large world. You can back track to different areas confirmed and go at your own pace and do things, so I think it's more like massive zones, but it's definitely fitting the bill of open world.
No apparently it's akin to God of War/ Jedi Fallen Order, being semi-open. At least it seems that way to me

image0.png

Last edited:

Mozza

Not surprising when you consider this would have been developed for the Xbox One in mind, then upgraded for the PC and Xbox Series X, I think we will need to see a game developed from the ground up for the new console before making any snap judgements.

Compsiox

Banned
Now put it up against Horizon 2, a real open-world next-gen game.
Even going by cinematics alone, Halo is a joke.

Halo-Infinite-Play_07-23-20.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-turtle-logo-tm-legalline.original.jpg
Cute. We haven't even seen gameplay and it's definitely not going to run at native 4K with 60fps.

Also THEAPE is just straight up wrong.

Last edited:
h4.jpg

Look, there's even the physics fail in that footage with the enemy bent over backwards.

What makes all this look even worse is PS4 has just been spoiled with FF7Remake, TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima, technical and artistic impeccable for the most part, so the bar is high and 343 can't even match that.
This pic has to be a joke. It looks like the textures havent loaded properly.

Entroyp

Has anyone mentioned the cringy speach that monkey gave? I haven’t played Halo since 2 so is the Bad writing/acting the norm?

YukiOnna

Nice. At least they outright confirm they aren't planning to try to replace Chief or anything in succeeding stories of Infinite. Gameplay and Story wise I'm pretty intrigued and liked what I heard from the Q&A about what they're aiming for as a mix of all Halo's in gameplay and expanding from there or how the Banished are supposed to hearken back to the Covenant. I hope the claim about being able to explore everything you see in the distance isn't some bs, but we'll see. Bit worried that they dodged answering whether core features will be missing or not though, this whole platform thing can easily give them an excuse to provide that as a later update.

Mister Wolf

Perhaps he should write a blog or something than trying to write a full essay via Twitter tweets.

Nonetheless they still opted to use an outdated realtime lighting solution. Take Kingdom Come Deliverance. On consoles it uses cheap Global Illumination like Halo Infinite. On the PC version you can use that but you also can toggle on the more expensive SVOGI(Voxel Global Illumination). Huge difference between the two:

plip.plop

It needs to be said clearly, the Xbox one held this game back significantly.

The only way MS could have made this reveal work would be by showing a 4 player split-screen co-op playthrough of all the Xbox one systems (OG Xbox 1, Xbox 1s, Xbox 1X, Series X) with all of the bells and whistles turned on for each version.

This would have allowed them to better explain how their cross-gen gaming support narrative would work. But even more importantly show people why they should upgrade to Series X.

Point Blank: MS ruined a golden opportunity to show how their messaging would work for next-gen and the horsepower of the Series X.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have to wonder if the Ray tracing not being ready is why they opted show it with this lighting.

It seems to be a performance saver and will be used on one X and one.

Game is coming in hot.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone else annoyed about the Warthog jump? It leaves the ramp unevenly, so it starts rotating in the air, then the games says "The player is going to flip if this rotation continues. Let's protect the player and artificially stop the vehicles momentum so they land the jump."

Would be so much more satisfying hitting those jumps if the game didn't hold your hand.

Anyone else annoyed about the Warthog jump? It leaves the ramp unevenly, so it starts rotating in the air, then the games says "The player is going to flip if this rotation continues. Let's protect the player and artificially stop the vehicles momentum so they land the jump."

Would be so much more satisfying hitting those jumps if the game didn't hold your hand.
Yeah I don't like that either. Reminds me of gtav where you can rotate midair. Takes the satisfaction or the oh fuck oh shit, out of jumping completely.

JLMC469

Banned
Now put it up against Horizon 2, a real open-world next-gen game.
Even going by cinematics alone, Halo is a joke.

Halo-Infinite-Play_07-23-20.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-turtle-logo-tm-legalline.original.jpg

Dude how many times do people have to tell you? Halo is cross-gen.
The same system that runs Halo 5 at 60 fps with a ton of sacrifices now has to run an open world game at 60 fps.
The xbox one is holding this game back. Not the Series X.

Horizon 2 is built from the ground-up for the PS5 and is 30 fps. It is a generational difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom