• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

-Arcadia-

Banned
When I mentally contextualize this as an Xbox One game with a glossy coat of paint, and art and asset choices made to get a large world and massive-scale enemy fights running on old, not-that-great-in-the-first-place hardware, things make a lot more sense to me.

There's still the fact that Microsoft presented this as a next-gen game, delivered tantalizing looks at a theoretical gorgeous Halo game these past few years, and thoroughly misled customers, but I feel like the visuals may be acceptable under that definition.

Even then the visuals underwhelm me in areas, but seeing this as Microsoft's Twilight Princess/Breath of the Wild does help.

Just watched it again in high quality and it's even more shocking as you can really see how flat and sterile everything is. It really looks like a PC game from 10 years ago.

If you pause and look at the background landscapes, holy shit. They're Minecraft level of simplicity and geometry almost! It seems like the LOD is cut significantly as if to run on XB1 but my issue is there are old XB1 games that have more detail.

I said before this reveal that MS crossgen policy would mean it looks disappointing but this is shocking as it cant even come close to lots of PS4 exclusives in terms of visuals.

Barakov

UH yeah you deserve your diluted 12 flop machine lol. Enjoy your smear.

Huh? I mean I have money to burn too but I'm not allowing MS to rip me off with this downgraded for non SSD pc pos.

But this is next gen. Now the 12 flops don't matter? Does anyone have any standards around here? Did you even watch the original reveal trailer?

Lockhart.or something. Their engine simple doesn't scale well so basically lowest common denominator drags XsX all the way down.
I sure did, bitch. Graphics wise the reveal and this "gameplay" trailer don't look that different. Fun fact : you can still look forward to a new Halo game while realizing it's not going to be the most revolutionary thing ever. Fuck your standards.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This Brute got a crush on Chief. Probably was sad that Chief lost so easily the first time and expected more from the "demon".

GymWolf

yeah something is off. Tbh The Last of us 2 really fucking spoiled me man.,
it's zelda botw all over again...

my main gripe with halo atm is the lighting of everything.. and the sterile look and lack of different looking locations.
It's not tlou2 fault, the digital acting is strange as fuck in that trailer even without tlou2 being a thing.

DavidGzz

Saw at least two examples of brutes midget tossing grunts that were holding two plasma grenades lol! Also, anyone notice the brute charging while MC shot his legs making him stumble? The guns looks fun to use! Looks like some tight gameplay.

Just watched it again in high quality and it's even more shocking as you can really see how flat and sterile everything is. It really looks like a PC game from 10 years ago.

If you pause and look at the background landscapes, holy shit. They're Minecraft level of simplicity and geometry almost! It seems like the LOD is cut significantly as if to run on XB1 but my issue is there are old XB1 games that have more detail.

I said before this reveal that MS crossgen policy would mean it looks disappointing but this is shocking as it cant even come close to lots of PS4 exclusives in terms of visuals.

It's like they are going with this Combat Evolved flat and empty design? Or is it just me?

Something I noticed in the gameplay reveal. At the end, when they show the name "halo infinite" the letters "FIN" (END) of infinite are first revealed.
Will this be the end of the Halo series? Or just coincidence?

Also, in the graphics department, there's somthing off with the shadows the enemies cast, or rather, don't cast. I think that's why enemies don't seem grounded in the world. It's like they're missing ambient occlusion or shadows. But soms enemies do have shadows... very weird.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
It's like they are going with this Combat Evolved flat and empty design? Or is it just me?

At times it looked like a straight up remake of CE. I hope a few more graphical effects are added for launch so that it looks less flat and lifeless.

It doesn't even need to be much. Improved foliage, trees that sway slightly, a few leaves blowing in the wind. Little things like that make the world feel more alive.

At times it looked like a straight up remake of CE. I hope a few more graphical effects are added for launch so that it looks less flat and lifeless.

It doesn't even need to be much. Improved foliage, trees that sway slightly, a few leaves blowing in the wind. Little things like that make the world feel more alive.

Yeah get some level designers to fill the place. This looks worse than Halo 3 Big Battle Maps man...

ruvikx

Banned
I see it for what it is: Halo Combat Evolved in a GaaS Destiny "ten year plan" copy/paste.

Not happy at all. I believe they've made a big goddamn mistake tbh. Where's the ambition? The art design? The plot? Where's the gameplay going? In 10 years (2030 ffs) it'll be 30 years since Halo's original release. I don't see how regurgitating the samey first person shooter mechanics/enemies/gameplay for that long is sustainable.

YukiOnna

Something I noticed in the gameplay reveal. At the end, when they show the name "halo infinite" the letters "FIN" (END) of infinite are first revealed.
Will this be the end of the Halo series? Or just coincidence?

Also, in the graphics department, there's somthing off with the shadows the enemies cast, or rather, don't cast. I think that's why enemies don't seem grounded in the world. It's like they're missing ambient occlusion or shadows. But soms enemies do have shadows... very weird.
They said Infinite will become a "platform" like the MCC is and have story and other content updates as it goes along instead of doing proper sequels for at least the next decade.

DavidGzz

One of the Easy Allies guy said something that I didn't think of, but the art style seems more cartoonish. Like the skin and facial animations of the pilot. Seems that this will not have the M rating. Which is fine, I think MS wants to cater to the younger crowd a bit. Halo was never really gory anyway.

I hope that this ends up RPGish when it comes to upgrades. Like maybe the grappling hook is one of the first upgrades, but then you get the bubble shield after a certain mission etc. Certain armor bracers that improve your melee etc. Gimme.

Last edited:

aries_71

Why do I get the impression that 343 needs more software engineers and less people catering for lore minutia? This may be a case of top heavy management, with too many Stinkles and Kikis doing who knows what...

One thing that I liked about the game play was that RB was the interact button. Has Halo games had this before? I think it's really good that you don't always have to move your right thumb to A/X to open loot boxes etc.

Honey Bunny

Yeh ok thats pretty bad. And cross gen isnt even an excuse, they have the resources to scale this up to the more powerful console. What is 343 doing?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

I don't understand what Microsoft was thinking when showing this... Was this always the plan? Where they actually building a different demo but due to COVID-19 they didn't finish in time and couldn't postpone the event even further? And even then, why not just be honest about that. Why not say in the beginning, look development isn't going as planned, what we are showing now is more than 1 year old. Don't focus on how it looks, but look at gameplay.

docbot

Banned
I mean it seems to be classic halo, but also looks like a classic halo game from 5 years ago? Trees, grass, look like from a PC game from 15 years ago, but as long as it's fun not that important I guess?

LordOfChaos

But you see stuff poping up all over the place, the lods are pretty aggressive... They should be able to eliminate that kind of thing without having to sacrifice any kind of compatibility. Just boost the graphical settings on the new console, like they do on the X, look at PC versions of console games running on PCs with high end graphics cards, console games are the same, except the options are hidden (even on PC often times some graphics options are hidden in some .ini file or something like that).

I wonder if those pop-ins are because of the slower SSD? or is it just some mis-configuration... or is this a sign of things to come?

I mean look at the level of details in what Sony had on display, they are on a different level.

It was running on PC targeting X spec, so we don't really know yet. But this close to launch, I wonder why it wasn't running on SeX.

Last edited:
crazy how the youtube comments are so different compared to this thread lol they are super impressed there and super happy with the game. weird.
Yeah, cous Xboxfanboys are in full force on YouTube to defend this Halo game😉 On almost all channels, i cheked it out today

Flintty

Ok just watched it in 4K. Some comments below.

This is the best looking Halo to date, in the classic Halo style we expect. I don’t want a photo real Halo

The open world feels alive. The ambient sound and vistas all pulling it together.

Sound design is fucking superb.

Warthog doesn’t sound like a warthog. I don’t like that.

Chief shot a Brute in the leg and he tripped. I like that.

Beautifully smooth frame rate.

Pop in needs to be fixed.

Nice looking lighting and particle effects.

Big Brute dude needs more model work, and he looks like Gary Glitter.

I don’t know what ‘next gen’ graphics people are expecting, but aside from the glitches, this looks like it will deliver for me. I’d wager that most of the haters never planned on playing it anyway.

I’ve had some interesting reactions to this so I’m going to flesh out my comment on ‘best looking Halo’, which I assume is the trigger point.

Definitely a lack of model detail compared to previous games, there’s no denying that. But realistically, you’re seeing that in screen shots more than moving footage. The clear style of the Chief and general smoothness of everything go is what I’m liking. Perhaps it’s a little bit too cartoony or action figure like, but it just looks so good to me, in a stylistic way. I get that different people like different things, but I like what I see, except for the graphical glitches, poor lighting in lieu of RT and poor Brute modelling.

Chief looks fucking fantastic. I will fight all of you on that. Come at me 💪🏻

I noticed a *lot* of hitching with the framerate, and eagerly await DF's analysis.

Worse by far is they either held back (or do not have) a game play loop beyond campaign story. Maybe this is my fault, but Halo "Infinite" implies (in my mind - admittedly my own expectations could be the problem here) variation, customization, repeatable gameplay (presumably for the purpose of character building). "BECOME THE HERO" (Destiny was BECOME LEGEND). You, your character, embarks on a journey to save the galaxy/earth whatever - and becomes something. You evolve, constantly improve your Hero/Legend by accomplishing things and building your character up, his weapons, armor, attachments, ... all that. Halo Infinite with it's title and slogan imply there's something more to the game than previous Halos offered, but none of it was showcased.
So I can only conclude none of it is there. And that's a shame.

Again, I realize my own expectations/hopes is the real villain, and my own vision for where Halo needs to go probably doesn't align with most peoples. I kinda hoped for some kind of Destiny alternative (read: not copy) but in the Halo universe. Or at least a step in that direction. Not games as a service per se, but some rpg elements and some kind of game play loop beyond the campaign missions. Shame if it's just do the levels and game over.
No Halo Infinite means it will be an infinite GaaS game serie till .people had enough of the Halo universe

Last edited:
49a77m.jpg

Seriously, what a missed opportunity to bring Halo's graphics up to modern standards with a realistic and gritty look like the top

Grinchy

Banned
Problem here is that people is saying it doesn’t look like a new gen title, while the fact is that it barely looks like a current one. Aside from the resolution, that screenshot could be from a 360 game. It certainly wouldn’t wow anybody on the Xbox One.

What a disappointment. They really must wasted time, money and resources with very bad management.
Yeah, it looks like they've scrapped and started over multiple times.

Things look so hastily glued together to just put something on the screen.

Flintty

49a77m.jpg

Seriously, what a missed opportunity to bring Halo's graphics up to modern standards with a realistic and gritty look like the top

I don’t think that’s what I want from Halo though, really. Part of the Halo magic is the stylised graphics. It’s bad enough that they tried to make the gameplay COD in space, please not the visuals too.

Cleared_Hot

What's up with these aliens. How many years into this and they're still landing at different sites and setting up camp like unorganized idiots. There's always containers randomly laying about, and they're always just standing around until MC shows up.

I know I know it's just level design to provide obstacles and cover... But for some reason with this gameplay reveal it looked even more obvious and just dumb

BRZBlue

I don’t think that’s what I want from Halo though, really. Part of the Halo magic is the stylised graphics. It’s bad enough that they tried to make the gameplay COD in space, please not the visuals too.

I'd honestly prefer a more "Reach" like take graphically. The issue for me is the "myth" of the game in all the live-action trailers and other media is a very grounded, gritty, brutal world.

Then we have Halo Infinite which has a color pallet and art direction that looks like it belongs in a Dreamworks children's movie.

Flintty

I'd honestly prefer a more "Reach" like take graphically. The issue for me is the "myth" of the game in all the live-action trailers and other media is a very grounded, gritty, brutal world.

Then we have Halo Infinite which has a color pallet and art direction that looks like it belongs in a Dreamworks children's movie.

Fair comments, and nobody can be mad at you for preferring a different art direction 👍🏻

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's surprising how different the visuals are inside the ship and outside of it. I'd actually say the sidekick and interior visuals live up to that trailer -- in fact, at first, it looks like it's going to be a great looking game.

But this is such a dead horse by now.

To be more positive, a few things I like, aside from the obvious:

-The sidekick genuinely works. I guess Cortana is no longer an option? He feels fresh, likable, a good counterpart to Master Chief, and kind of grounds the story in a more human perspective for once

-The depiction is lackluster, but it's pretty cool that this ring is so old and in disrepair, that the natural features are wearing down and you can see the framework artifice in bare spots where the mountains have collapsed

-Gunplay really has that satisfying Halo pop to it. Taking out grunts with the handgun looked ridiculously satisfying, and rifles in this game seem to fire ultra-accurate streams of bullets that make precision headshots and such a joy

-Brute landing pods are the most metal, awesome thing ever

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Fair comments, and nobody can be mad at you for preferring a different art direction 👍🏻

I actually think the biggest issue is the flip flopping art direction. They've basically run the gamut with large differences for each game, instead of staying to a single cohesive style, so people will really like one style, then it gets tossed away for another, then again. If it was gradual or if there was a sort of design lineage for the art design through the games, I don't think I'd have as much issue with the tonal diferences.

Coney

I'll always hate their "design choice" to make those awful Minecraft structures. Can't unsee it, and I want to.

Fbh

I'm finally in a place with decent internet....now watching the gameplay in good quality the visuals are definitely disappointing. Overall it definitely seems underwhelming, the graphics are unimpressive even by current gen standard and the gameplay so far just looks like more Halo.

Seems like they've put their entire focus on the open world concept so hopefully it's fun to explore and filled with meaningful content. A solid open world with usual Halo gameplay could be a blast.

Problem here is that people is saying it doesn’t look like a new gen title, while the fact is that it barely looks like a current one. Aside from the resolution, that screenshot could be from a 360 game. It certainly wouldn’t wow anybody on the Xbox One.

What a disappointment. They really must wasted time, money and resources with very bad management.

From that studio pic it seems 343 were more interested in flooding the dev team with women/trans employees instead of how good their game is. I think someone has lost control of the project if the result of 5 years development is what we saw yesterday.

dilbag

I just hope the open world aspect is done better then Gears 5 was.... I knew it was most likely coming but I must admit atm I am disappointed its another open world game.....

Yeah, i'm really confused at this point.

Is 343i just incompetent, or was this just what was asked for them by MS for Gamepass?

Either way, this - if reviewed averagely - would be three strikes on 343i.

Could someone make a comparison between HALO 1 Anniversary and Halo 5?

I swear that Halo 1 Anniversary looked slightly better.

They are one of the worst devs of all time considering the budget they are handed and the golden goose of Halo with a huge loyal fanbase and established gameplay mechanics and lore. They still can't even make an average video game with the Halo name on it, completely embarrassing and the studio should have been dismantled after Halo 5.

It's funny you say 3 strikes, when in reality 343i has made like 10 Halo games:

Halo Infinite
Halo 5
Halo MCC
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Wars 2
Halo Anniversary Edition (1st game they made)
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo Fire team Raven

They are a complete failure of a developer.

Top Bottom