• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebs Gaming: Inside how 343 Industries Leadership ruined Halo: Infinite Campaign

Robb

Gold Member
Can some one edit this so Clowns are holding that useless shit head of 343 ?
5YB5fze.jpeg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The best SP campaign this generation, at least in terms of game play. Folks may have their issues with how it discarded previous narrative but that's a different matter.

Eh.....I'd say the opinion that is the "best SP campaign this generation" in gameplay is held by a very small minority such as yourself. Obviously you are free to have that opinion, but let's not frame it as if it is the consensus.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Eh.....I'd say the opinion that is the "best SP campaign this generation" in gameplay is held by a very small minority such as yourself. Obviously you are free to have that opinion, but let's not frame it as if it is the consensus.

Sorry Not Sorry Hair GIF by Max

But I will rephrase it to say best FPS, not best wholesale.

Good FPS based campaigns are very few and far this generation.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Far Cry 1,2,3
Dishonored series
Doom series
Quake series
Prey
Halo 1,2,3, ODST, Reach
Cyberpunk 2077
Titanfall 1,2
System Shock
Borderlands series
Bioshock series
Wolfenstein series
Early Call of Duty

Probably missing a few. Those are all considered pretty great

They are great FPS campaigns. But we’re getting away from the original comment I replied to.

When people are listing best single player games they’re saying Mario, Zelda, God of War, Last of Us, etc…not those games.

Unless that person meant in the context of FPS genre. In that case I misunderstood.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They are great FPS campaigns. But we’re getting away from the original comment I replied to.

When people are listing best single player games they’re saying Mario, Zelda, God of War, Last of Us, etc…not those games.

Unless that person meant in the context of FPS genre. In that case I misunderstood.

Your reply was talking about FPS games and suggesting Halo Infinite isn't in the "best single player"conversation because FPS in general are not. That is not necessarily true. Half-life 2 is consistently in the conversation for best single player games ever. The question then becomes how big of a list are we talking about. Top 10? Top 100? In either case, the campaigns of the games I listed are typically going to make it into the conversation before Halo Infinite except for diehard Halo fans.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Your reply was talking about FPS games and suggesting Halo Infinite isn't in the "best single player"conversation because FPS in general are not. That is not necessarily true. Half-life 2 is consistently in the conversation for best single player games ever. The question then becomes how big of a list are we talking about. Top 10? Top 100? In either case, the campaigns of the games I listed are typically going to make it into the conversation before Halo Infinite except for diehard Halo fans.

True. In my head I was thinking top ten.

Havoc2049

Campaign was good at launch but they diched out as soon they made launch....there was so much potential to update game with new biomes & story but no.....they updated multiplayer with GASS shit, fucking Clowns.
They even did a horrible job at the GAAS part, as months and months would go by between updates. By the time Infinite started to receive a steady flow of updates, the vast majority of the player base had left for good, as 343 missed the window to keep a large player base and have a successful GAAS game.

When people claim “there are no misogynists on Neogaf,” this post - and the others like it right here - are the proof to the contrary.

No, it’s not the gameplay.
It’s not the artwork.
It’s not the level design.
It’s not the management.
It’s not the engine.
It’s not the story.
It’s not the characterisations.
It’s not the graphical fidelity.
It’s not the publicity.

No… it was the woman.

“Nothing else matters.”

And as for people who claim there are no Xbox shills on Neogaf… well, boy, that sure doesn’t seem like the case either, does it?
Bonnie Ross had years and years of incompetence, spaning multiple releases. Bonnie comes across to the public as a very likable person and in the begining, it seemed like the fan base wanted to like her, but after multiple failures and Microsoft PR letting the fan base know that she was a female, it became obvious that the only reason she wasn't being replaced, was because she was female. Microsoft bet their biggest franchise on her multiple times and she failed each time, although I thought Halo 4 was solid, the most feature complete at launch and had the best post launch support out of the 343 Halo games.

avin

Pretty obvious that a few overzealous GAF members were spamming the voting mechanism that was in place back then. Voting was brought in house to prevent that very thing from happening going forward.

It's the first I'm hearing of this. But yes, if the voting mechanism allowed spamming, then it isn't a meaningful result. That's good to know.

It also means none of the other results in previous years are meaningful either, until the change you mention.

avin

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

I honestly enjoyed the campaign. Enjoyed it way more then the last game.

Idk, there were a few scenes I really enjoyed between chief and cortana. I am surprised there was no expansion to the campaign.

Also, hearing mismanagement occurring in the gaming industry is par for the course anymore. Hell, the behind the scenes of Halo 2 showed mismanagement back then.

Codes 208

Hive mind mentality stop it guys the single player was good and even great sometimes
It was ok. 6/10 for me. The open world aspect was neat, and the story was leagues better than 5. Also I liked the banished as a covie replacement (but Im one of the few people that actually likes halo wars)

But heres the issues:
-it took a year just to get co-op and level selection added in. And once you beat the campaign and found all the goodies prior to that update, continuing just felt hallow.
-lack of environments, seriously, for such a bigass map, WHY IS IT NOTHING BUT PINE??
-the story felt like a in-between. A small leap into something bigger considering the only real accomplishment we make is killing Escharum
-bosses being nothing but bullet sponges =/= fun (but the elite of the tower cracked me up at least)
-not only did the flood not come back but they blue balled us on this “bigger” threat called the endless. They pulled a godamn destiny with the “darkness” (the joke being when destiny first came out, even bungie wasnt entirely sure what the darkness was yet)

Oh, and also how it once again had tremendous focus on extended universe stuff. Like yeah, we know cortana is dead but youd have to read the books to understand how that alone stopped the created or how atriox escaped the ark, and where the weapon came from.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I actually really enjoyed the campaign. My only actual complaint with the campaign was the same environment the entire time. Would have liked some sort of terrain change or something.

It's the multiplayer that sucked for me. So much wasted time exiting and relaunching the game to fix de-sync issues and wasted time trying to complete challenges that kept resetting and would only "stick" if I either completed the challenge in a single match or relaunched the game so my progress would save.

Codes 208

I honestly enjoyed the campaign. Enjoyed it way more then the last game.

Idk, there were a few scenes I really enjoyed between chief and cortana. I am surprised there was no expansion to the campaign.

Also, hearing mismanagement occurring in the gaming industry is par for the course anymore. Hell, the behind the scenes of Halo 2 showed mismanagement back then.
Tbf halo 2 wasnt designed around being a gaas, the multiplayer was tacked on and was an accidental success. Bungie dug deep into that one and made the decision to split it into two games (since halo 3 wasn’t originally planned)

Thats another thing, halo infinite was intentionally meant to be a gaas, it launched with less content than either 2, 3 and Reach and it took 3 seasons (15 months btw) for the multiplayer to finally be decent, how the hell do you fuck up that badly?

When people claim “there are no misogynists on Neogaf,” this post - and the others like it right here - are the proof to the contrary.

No… it was the woman.

“Nothing else matters.”

And as for people who claim there are no Xbox shills on Neogaf… well, boy, that sure doesn’t seem like the case either, does it?

The media cheered Bonnie Ross as director ONLY because she was a woman. You can see the articles in this thread. So, if the only relevant trait for a person to be in charge of 343 is her gender it's fair that she is questioned for that same reason. It's very simple logic, no need to call names.

Story: trash

World design: lacking (everything looked the same)

Open world elements: generic (hey here’s the same handful of open world objectives you’ve seen a thousand times, do them again and again in this game too)

Core gameplay: phenomenal. They created a top notch open world sandbox for you to play in.

I chalk most of Infinites issues up to development hell. I have high hopes for a legitimate sequel with a quality dev cycle.
Agreed on all fronts - the game is just fun to play. They just need to iterate on the open world and make it better (I do not care about the story, never have)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didnt see goty in the campaign. it was competent at best. devoid of any sense of epicness and scale that made bungie halos so great.

the open world was standard ubisoft fare. except for the fact that you could upgrade very little.

the story was lacking from the short time i played. i might give it another shot but honestly shocked to see it win goty over it takes two or resident evil village. its a good 7/10 game like ratchet.

Yeah, from 1998. What else you got?

You see people bringing up any modern FPS when discussing greatest single player games?
Dishonored, Prey, Bioshock, Titanfall 2, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein, System Shock .. There are plenty to pick from for single-player potential goats depending on preference. Admittedly, most developers of the genre aren't chasing the single-player demo though, so it's almost always an afterthought comparatively, but there's still plenty. And even some really potential bangers on the horizon, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 could be amazing if it's given the love and attention the series needs.

mnkl13

What matters is that a brave and stunning woman was put in charge to lead one of the most famouns franchises in gaming.
header.jpg

Doesn't matter if the game was a sucess or not, that wasn't the point.
looking at her face i see some kamala harris in there

ungalo

Just for the gameplay and the fact the game (really really) sticks to the basics of Halo in terms of sandbox/enemies it's more enjoyable not only than Halo 5 but also than the borefest that is Halo 4 campaign, no cap.

And this whole year was absolutely dogshit so i can understand the forum's choice despite the campaign being clearly bareboned/unfinished/mediocre, most people probably missed Returnal when it came out.

I would still chose Halo Infinite for the moment-to-moment gameplay over a gimmicky game like It Takes Two, or a Psychonauts 2 that's not satisfying to play.

Last edited:
Hive mind mentality stop it guys the single player was good and even great sometimes
I liked the campaign a lot too, but I could tell there was one big problem with it’s development: Whoever designed all of the boss fights in tiny open arenas felt like they were developing them for a first person 1v1 melee system that didn’t exist.

It was immediately more apparent on harder difficulties where you had to either cheese them or play the RNG game in order to progress.

BlackTron

Just for the gameplay and the fact the game (really really) sticks to the basics of Halo in terms of sandbox/enemies it's more enjoyable not only than Halo 5 but also than the borefest that is Halo 4 campaign, no cap.

This is exactly it. It may not be some amazing new thing, but at least it delivers a new game that is actually Halo in its bones. Infinite is more Halo than TOTK is a Zelda, despite the ludicrous gap in quality and creativity between these titles.

The campaign and mp was good. It was fun to play. But I just didn’t care for any of the new mp content. Just couldn’t hold me in. After the first 4 months i believe. I was done. Hadn’t look back and don’t care too I guess. But I had fun as hell playing it when I did.

BlackTron

The campaign and mp was good. It was fun to play. But I just didn’t care for any of the new mp content. Just couldn’t hold me in. After the first 4 months i believe. I was done. Hadn’t look back and don’t care too I guess. But I had fun as hell playing it when I did.

It's better and I can't get enough Firefight mode now, I don't know why it took so long to update the game though. They really had a window to grab everyone and lost it.

Well the campaign was great, but it should be said that the game ended up a normal one and done kind of game and not the long lasting kind of gaas game Microsoft was hoping it would be.

REDRZA MWS

It remains the only Halo campaign I've never finished - and that includes the abomination that was Halo 5. The open world was simply disastrous to Halo's tight gameplay loop and should never have made it past prototyping.
Halo 5 gets way too much hate. Halo 4 by far was the worst of any of all the halos.

SkylineRKR

They nailed the gameplay of Infinite, but everything else was subpar. The open world was useless, and only had about 3 different mission types (like a VIP, a base and some group of enemies). Everything was copy pasted.

The actual linear story levels were decent, but there were only a handful and the last ones with the waves of flying bots sucked. It was also odd that you couldn't swap out your elite weapons in those story missions, you could only access them in the field. You'd be chucked into a loading screen each time you'd enter a story mission. These things made the overall experience feel disjointed. I think if you beeline the story you'll be done in one evening, to me it felt like there were only 5 or so story missions.

The open world was small and fearured only one type of biome. This killed the atmosphere. I much prefer Halo 3's settings which were very varied. They should've taken this as a template, the classic trilogy wasn't open world but each chapter offered some degree of freedom in tackling your opponents.

Top Bottom