• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

Munter

Completed the campaign last night. Enjoyable, but nothing spectacular. I'd say the metacritic score is pretty spot on.

Multiplayer is good fun, even though I'm crap :D

Kalentan

The little I played I noticed that the biggest problem of campaign seems definitely the A.I.

Was playing on Heroic and needing to point the enemies all the time, otherwise they would mostly just stand back staring at me. And that's so strange when the game has such a great overall AI, like the other Halo games.

I hope they're able to patch it, at least to give the friendly AI some more aggressivity.

Yeah, thus far from the SP I've played, enemies seem to be smart and stuff but the allies are the dumbest people ever.

Liking this, but the prometheans suck so much ass that it's not even funny. If I hear "more prometheans" one more time I'll vomit. Same goes for ye olde crutch "defend this area"

On the upside, the hunters sure have gotten a nice upgrade.

Bsigg12

Made it up to the last mission on my blind Legendary solo run. Outside of a couple spots in a couple missions, it's been a ton of fun. The trick is learning how to direct your team to best draw fire so you can get a better weapon or position.

The little I played I noticed that the biggest problem of campaign seems definitely the friendly AI.

Was playing on Heroic and needing to point the enemies all the time, otherwise they would mostly just stand back staring at me. And that's so strange when the game has such a great overall AI, like the other Halo games.

I hope they're able to patch it, at least to give the friendly AI some more aggressivity.

I wonder why this is, anyway? The enemy AI is still great, but the friendly AI is as terrible as it ever was. What's with the gap?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Got through campaign, can't wait to dive into multiplayer. So much bang for your buck with Halo games.

let's play later!

Any germangaf halo people on here ready for some casual fun *wink *wink.
Gamertag: guerrilla m6
Im up for any mode

just add me and join the NeoGAF Company it is for the european time zone

ALSO FUCK THE FRIENDLY AI. They shoot against the ceiling if a Elite stands on the next floor and sometimes when I'm down they just look at me and let me die -_-

Thats exactly like how I have felt.

I would love there to be something else though in regards to maps.
Something to make each one unique.
I know what I mean i am finding it hard to express.
Maybe space assaults? with space locks opening upon request from home team?

Have more of a base feel.

Again I know I am rambling but it just feels on the cusp of something even greater.

Totally agree with the huge potential for improvement. The mode works so well with the competitive gameplay, and it can't be stressed enough how well Warzone facilitates this, just with scale. But Halo's goofy Sandbox-side seems kind of absent, and it's weird, because that aspect feels like a really big part of Halo's identity (and success). Some flourishes of character, absurdity and unique spectacle would go a long way in making each map way more memorable and exciting, so I really hope they go nuts with experimentation in the free Warzone DLC to follow.

Perhaps a map where each team's home-base is a hovering Spacecraft, and capturing all points disables shields, so that the enemy team can then use mancannons to board.

A map where the central-garage spawn-point is a Mammoth, that can actually move about, and vehicles can be deployed from within.

A forerunner level, with two gondolas moving in-parallel around the map (reminiscent of Halo 2's), and lots of floating platforms, encouraging crazy foot-based platform gameplay.

Little bits of interactivity would make it so much more rewarding.

Completed it on Heroic and just tried Legendary (never completed a Halo game on Legendary before) and I got absolutely owned before the first bloody checkpoint. No way am I going to do it. I think I'll just try legendary with a few mates instead lol.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
what I honestly need to be patched in is the shield sound.

Most of the time I die and did not even notice that my shield went down ~_~"..

Solo Arena play is soooo terrible most of the time. I wish the Spartan companies had down sort of in-game integration to allow for easy party-making.

Impulsor

what I honestly need to be patched in is the shield sound.

Most of the time I die and did not even notice that my shield went down ~_~"..

So much this, SOOOO MUCH THIS.

Bring brack the shield sound no. No, yesterday. Why did they even take it out?

JackHerer

The squad AI is laughably bad. They failed miserably with their pillar of "your squad is your weapon". There better not be a 2 foot ledge or rock between you and one of them when you ask for a revive or they will just watch you die. It's really infuriating sometimes.

I played on heroic and the last boss fight was pretty shit. Clearly made for co-op because it requires one person to distract and the rest to shoot the weak spot.

Trup1aya

The little I played I noticed that the biggest problem of campaign seems definitely the friendly AI.

I feel like they are trying to avoid that feeling that the AI is completing the mission for you.

I wish you could more finely control their behavior... Tell them to 1) stay back, be defensive 2) move to my position or 3) weapons free, do as you please.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Really not feeling the campaign.
Its as if they just randomly forgot a bunch of cut scenes, just like Halo 4.

Madness

Let's just say I'll stop asking for better boss fight anymore. Give me QTE promethean grenade into Didact chest or spartan laser on 343 Guilty Spark please.

Even on Heroic, after 6 straight deaths solo, I finally just got lucky and Vale, who I had given an incineration cannon to, was behind the Warden who was looking up at me in Mission 5 end, and I'd have to point every time I wanted her to fire. Within two or three points at the Warden, he died due to the blast. Otherwise before that, only the other Spartans would fire their BR or whatever I had given them. That was not fun, can't even imagine what legendary will be like.

Glass

Its as if they just randomly forgot a bunch of cut scenes, just like Halo 4.

Yeah this was most apparent for me after (mission 2 spoilers)
'Negative Infinity, I dont like it.' And thats it. No reaction to it. Just 'Team Osiris, here's your mission.' The most under played start to the greatest hunt in video game history.

So weird.

Let's just say I'll stop asking for better boss fight anymore. Give me QTE promethean grenade into Didact chest or spartan laser on 343 Guilty Spark please.

Even on Heroic, after 6 straight deaths solo, I finally just got lucky and Vale, who I had given an incineration cannon to, was behind the Warden who was looking up at me in Mission 5 end, and I'd have to point every time I wanted her to fire. Within two or three points at the Warden, he died due to the blast. Otherwise before that, only the other Spartans would fire their BR or whatever I had given them. That was not fun, can't even imagine what legendary will be like.
I would have not see him as a boss encounter if it had not been for those instant kill attacks. He would be a better opponent if he had not have those.(and be more aggressive)

Totally agree with the huge potential for improvement. The mode works so well with the competitive gameplay, and it can't be stressed enough how well Warzone facilitates this, just with scale. But Halo's goofy Sandbox-side seems kind of absent, and it's weird, because that aspect feels like a really big part of Halo's identity (and success). Some flourishes of character, absurdity and unique spectacle would go a long way in making each map way more memorable and exciting, so I really hope they go nuts with experimentation in the free Warzone DLC to follow.

Perhaps a map where each team's home-base is a hovering Spacecraft, and capturing all points disables shields, so that the enemy team can then use mancannons to board.

A map where the central-garage spawn-point is a Mammoth, that can actually move about, and vehicles can be deployed from within.

A forerunner level, with two gondolas moving in-parallel around the map (reminiscent of Halo 2's), and lots of floating platforms, encouraging crazy foot-based platform gameplay.

All of this.

Thanks for bringing the stuff in my brain to life :D

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
need help.

Mission 13
fighting on the bridge against 2(?) warden and get killed every time. someone got a tip?

EDIT: yay I did it.

Glass

need help.

Mission 13
fighting on the bridge against 2(?) warden and get killed every time. someone got a tip?

Equip your team with some powerful weapons, and grab one for yourself. Incineration cannon seems to work well for him. There's two special SAWS near the crashed pelicans which tear enemies up nicely. Then just direct your team so they're on one side of him and youre on the other. I got to fight mine one at a time, not sure if that's intended or I got lucky.

Trup1aya

Those ideas would be amazing. Hopefully 343i uses their Req revenue to create some maps that utilize every bit of this modes massive potential.

need help.

Mission 13

EDIT: yay I did it.

at the beginning of the bridge ius a downed pelican, get the rail gun and saw, all the saw ammo was enough to take down one (heroic), use railgun on the other and pick up another gun to help. Doesn't take long and I didn't hit his weak spot on the back

JimiNutz

Banned
I've bumped my aim up to 5 so far but it just still feels off, at default you couldn't even pan fast enough to shot someone running past you o_o

I am also kinda getting frustrated with being killed vs someone when I am emptying a who clip on their face but they kill me in what seems like 2 hits, I'm like wtf gun are they using... oh the same as me?! I have a feeling people playing in California are running circles around my Toronto connection, which makes 1vs1 kills annoying as hell.

Made it to rank 8 tonight though, but I honestly feel like I am missing something control wise or latency wise /shrug

I felt exactly the same way when playing yesterday. Something about the aiming and movement felt really off and I don't remember it feeling like that in the beta.

Trying to track a target that was in close quarters was damn near impossible as it seemed as though players moved far faster than I could aim (this was on the default settings). I don't remember any such issues in the beta.

I also found that I was getting one or two shotted by opponents and actually miss the kill cam from the beta because I had no idea how I was dying so quickly (never had this issue in past Halo games).

I'm going to put the whole thing down to dodgy servers as I could hear that I was playing with Americans (I'm in the UK).

Why they were so frequently matching me up with US players I have no idea. This is why 343 should have allowed us to pick our data centre!

I'd rather not play at all than play on distant servers with a shitty connection and huge disadvantage. Whole experience was incredibly frustrating...

Has anyone beaten this Solo Legendary yet? I keep hearing horror stories about the Warden and I don't want to try it if it's frustratingly tedious bullet sponges Destiny-lite boss.

Ein Bear

Is there a way to tell your squad what weapon to use in the Campaign? I keep telling them to grab useful guns like sniper rifles and fuel rod cannons, but they just pick them up and carry on using their side arms.

The squad stuff is the only thing I don't really like about the game. I'm honestly finding them less useful than the old AI marines in the other games... At least those guys would use the power weapons you gave them and slaughter enemies.

thenexus6

Recon control scheme aka classic Halo controls:
Why when doing the ground pound is the aim for the landing on the right stick? I dont have 2 right thumbs. You basically have to hold b and bring your left hand to the right stick - bad move 343. Fix please.

This. Thats why I never use the ground pound.

MP feels so good, and super surprised how well the servers are holding up.

Just finished the Campaign on Heroic and is it really good. Not the best in the whole series, but its miles ahead of Halo 4 and sits up there on my list of best Halo Campaigns. I kind of wish we had more Blue Team missions, but as is I can deal with what we got. I ended up liking Osiris alot more than I thought I would have.

As for new characters, I liked how Osiris evolved along the way, what with them going from their "Must capture Blue Team at all costs" to "We need to save Blue Team". It was nice seeing Buck again in visual form as part of the team, and in game he ended up being my wing-man who would have to resurrect me whenever I got a little too cocky in combat or take gun in my vehicle.

I really liked Exuberant and I hope we get to see her again either in Halo 6 or just within the universe in general. As for Cortana being alive, I pretty much guessed she would be coming back, though I never expected her to go full villain on us and I am dying to see where this goes after that ending cut scene.

As for the Warden, I hated having to deal with him. He was the only enemy which my teams AI would completely break down. I don't think they know they are suppose to go around and shoot the enemy in the back considering they were basically either following me around, or standing still, both of which they were shooting at his front and died almost immediately because the Warden is 1 hit kill.

All in all, it was an adequate decently paced Middle-story. It had a good cliffhanger which made me want more.

DALBEN

Banned
Im having so much fun on the campaign, great game.

Thanks and congrats 343, great game.

Off topic:

In the last two im getting a error on my xbox one conection, low MTU. Horrible timing, i have to fix this issue asap, i cant conect to most of games (not only halo), it was normal until a few days ago.

Yeah this was most apparent for me after (mission 2 spoilers)
'Negative Infinity, I dont like it.' And thats it. No reaction to it. Just 'Team Osiris, here's your mission.' The most under played start to the greatest hunt in video game history.

So weird.

That's definitely true. Happens a lot, too. When Roland starts shouting and it fades to black before anyone can respond, what's the point?

Just realizing that the OT title is pretty much perfect.

Slightly Live's penny made the right choice.

For those who like replaying campaigns, you'll notice how easy the Warden becomes now that you can prepare for his fights. They usually only last a few seconds now, even on Heroic.
When I was playing the triple Warden fight for the achievement where you have to kill two at the same time, they were actually dying too quickly. :lol

For instance, on Reunion
you can find a binary rifle on a platform to the left, after you break through a wall. If you bring a Binary Rifle from the previous encounter and start shooting him in the head, you'll have enough ammo to take him down quickly.

Lingitiz

That's definitely true. Happens a lot, too. When Roland starts shouting and it fades to black before anyone can respond, what's the point?

Slightly Live's penny made the right choice;
Halo games have always had a weird habit of making cutscenes way too short and not letting everything be said. I hope next time around they put more effort into some of the choreographed dialogue scenes.

It really feels like much of the effort was spent making the really cool set piece action stuff like the end of mission 5, rather than getting all the actors in mocap suits and going over scripts.

Halo games have always had a weird habit of making cutscenes way too short and not letting everything be said. I hope next time around they put more effort into some of the choreographed dialogue scenes.

It really feels like much of the effort was spent making the really cool set piece action stuff like the end of mission 5, rather than getting all the actors in mocap suits and going over scripts.

Never had that problem in Halo 2 or 3, honestly. That's something that really only started with Reach or 4.

RulkezX

Enjoyed my time with the MP last night. Will be passed off if I spend tonight constantly getting paired with Ameribros, though.

Didn't hear a single UK/EU voice last night and it kills any chance of being competitive in Arena.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
on saturday it's my birthday and five minutes ago I got the birthday present from my best friend :D
because I could not afford the LCE she bought me those ^_^
1reuTjH.jpg

Top Bottom