• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

If they make a powerfull console they need to use a budget superior to 1000 yen and 10 cups of instant noodles for their games.

They are low key the smartest publisher of the bunch.

Let's just hope sony and M are gonna remain fucking stupid for our own sake.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"The Rockstar Games team is determined to once again set creative benchmarks for the series, our industry, and for all entertainment, just as the label has done with every one of their frontline releases,"

Call it PR bluff, but you don't just come out and say that shit unless you're super hella confident.
EA has revealed that a new Battlefield game will be coming to next-gen consoles in the fiscal year 2022 in its Q2 2020 earnings call.

CEO Andrew Wilson said during the call: “Targeting new innovation that will be enabled by next-gen platforms and a growing installed base on the new consoles, our next Battlefield game is set for FY '22.”

When asked about the next Battlefield game, Wilson says it will utilize the “full power of next-gen platforms to ensure this is ‘exactly’ the game that Battlefield fans want to play.”

Remember what Neil said about the last of us remake? Shit like how he was blown away by their upgrade. this is what their blog said.
From the art direction to the character models, the entire game has been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of a new generation of graphical capability, allowing this game to reach the visual fidelity that the studio aspired for when crafting this experience.

Its entirely possible Rockstar delivers the greatest looking game of all time, but the opposite could also be true. Id give it 50-50.

rofif

Banned
cyberpunk npc density is a design choice, if you like lots of pricks getting in your way you can fix it easy. Although comparisons with something that doesn't have dynamic time of day isn't apples to apples anyway, but 360p gifs are used to show how good and detailed something is in this thread so its on par.

christ.... I don't think there is enough mods in there.
Looks horrid. Too oversharpened, too instagramy, worse than just a normal game.
People have no taste whatsoever. Glad they are not the devs

KXVXII9X

christ.... I don't think there is enough mods in there.
Looks horrid. Too oversharpened, too instagramy, worse than just a normal game.
People have no taste whatsoever. Glad they are not the devs
I often feel a lot of these "Hire this man" and game mods that are supposed to enhance a game come from people with some technical expertise but seem to lack an artistic eye or making things feel alive or cohesive. There is a lack of needed atmosphere and ambience I feel. I think things like a more realistic camera movement, more diverse NPC behavior and interactivity would help a lot. I still think Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and AC Unity impress me more with crowds and they are older games.

SlimySnake

Next gen is here everyone. (Another Nekki game that will never release but hey the trailer looks good and this is apparently gameplay.)

4TqNNkj.gif

cAo0mAZ.gif

vb8o7bc.gif

kzzsEyC.gif

SimTourist

This is funny. The game looks like dog shit on the Nintendo switch, but hey it runs.

I am convinced that almost every single PS4 game can be ported down to PS360 era hardware. We talk about last gen leaps as this massive game changing generational leaps over PS360 but if witcher 3, arkham knight and other generation defining games are being ported to the switch then how ambitious and next gen were they really?

of course, the graphics have taken a massive hit and the resolution is pure trash, but the game is there. Completely playable with all features. not a single next gen only feature in these games that couldnt be ported down.

I am so fucking ready for games to start leaving PS360 era game design and tech behind. Lets do something fucking new. Physics, destruction, AI. Lets fucking go. So far, we've only gotten some cool setpieces from FF16, Spiderman 2, and Ratchet, but thats mostly SSD stuff. Ratchet runs just fine on the steamdeck. Rockstar give me destruction please.

Current games are not even competing with PS2/PS3 stuff on the physics, destruction and AI. Still nothing close to Red Faction Guerilla for example, the problem for Volition was they had to design buildings in a structurally realistic way with support beams and realistic weight distribution, otherwise they would fall apart, that's a lot of extra work. It also presents issues for gameplay design, AI pathfinding, difficulty and obviously a ton of bugs that need to be fixed before shipping. In Red Faction 1 you could literally dig underground and pass levels that way. AI again, we're not seeing something on the level of Halo 1-Reach, Fear, Killzone 2, GTA 4. It's not a hardware limitation, all that shit was done on 300 mhz single core CPUs before.

SlimySnake

Current games are not even competing with PS2/PS3 stuff on the physics, destruction and AI. Still nothing close to Red Faction Guerilla for example, the problem for Volition was they had to design buildings in a structurally realistic way with support beams and realistic weight distribution, otherwise they would fall apart, that's a lot of extra work. It also presents issues for gameplay design, AI pathfinding, difficulty and obviously a ton of bugs that need to be fixed before shipping. In Red Faction 1 you could literally dig underground and pass levels that way. AI again, we're not seeing something on the level of Halo 1-Reach, Fear, Killzone 2, GTA 4. It's not a hardware limitation, all that shit was done on 300 mhz single core CPUs before.
Yeah, but since the PS2 era and especially the PS3 era, other gameplay aspects have also increased CPU usage. You are right that they have the CPU power if they wanted to prioritize destruction, but because the cpu is being utilized for other newer features like animations, open world crowds and traffic, etc, they definitely did prioritize the other stuff, but they kind of had no choice. Besides, Even in the PS2 era, the destruction was mostly done by a select few devs. Mercenaries was one of my favorite games of that gen because no one else from kojipro to ssm, rockstar or bungie were doing destruction like that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the single threaded performance of both last gen consoles was atrocious. 1.6 ghz is half of what the ps360 cpus ran at. yes, they had multiple cores, but the fastest it could go was 1.6 ghz. again, that left them with even more challenges, and because games are simply single threaded due to most stuff needing to run sequentially, you couldnt just job them off to the other 7 cpu threads. Thats why even though we had games like motorstorm, burnout paradise and battlefield bad company 2 doing some destruction, that all went away because the cpus simply didnt get an upgrade while the standards of graphics changed leading every single team to go all in on graphics and leave the physics behind.

hopefully that changes this gen. i am very impressed by spiderman's crowd and traffic simulations. i would love to see remedy go full crazy with destruction after being the only one that embraced destruction last gen. they had to make a very limited corridor shooter to get there and the performance was like 20 fps on base consoles, but it ran fine on mid gen and next gen consoles. should have no issues with setting it in bigger areas like alan wake 2 and having way better destruction and physics implementation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is hilarious. UE5 is absolutely trash at minimizing RT noise in this game. Not just on the xbox, but also on pc. reflections, foliage, shadows, everything has that path tracing noise you see on pc at lower resolutions.

xbox is missing nanite textures but whatever, its probably a bug. my issue is that even the pc version has this really poor shimmering thats affecting every part o the image.

hlm666

This is hilarious. UE5 is absolutely trash at minimizing RT noise in this game. Not just on the xbox, but also on pc. reflections, foliage, shadows, everything has that path tracing noise you see on pc at lower resolutions.

xbox is missing nanite textures but whatever, its probably a bug. my issue is that even the pc version has this really poor shimmering thats affecting every part o the image.
PS5 doesn't have nanite textures either, it's probably for performance reasons. It's kinda the real first open world UE5 game, future looking bright lol. The pc version doesn't have path tracing at all, it's same as console just higher settings and resolution + nanite. That shimmering on everything else is shit tier volumetrics most notible at dawn and dusk and generally looks better with it off.

robocop had the same issues with lumen, but they had a better volumtric fog implementation and environments that don't highlight ue5 short comings as much. Look at this and note how the inside without as many reflections and specular highlights and an easier image to denoise it looks fine (you can notice the shimmering if you go close to a wall similar to metro exodus) but outside with the water and rough road texture it's ok on high and epic but low and medium is ark tier bad.

Arks a shitshow, it was on ue4 aswell. So I wont totally throw epic under the bus yet, but I would really like to see the performance in general start to improve with all the ue5 capabilities on. Every ue5 update there's claims of performance improvments yet every ue5 game release makes a case that it's bullshit.

Textures on UE5 are handled through their "Virtual Texturing" system, not Nanite.

Although it is possible for the two to work in tandem where the polygon count per frame is used to inform the amount of texture data required per frame.

winjer

What do we think about this one?

The facial animations looks nice i guess.

It looks decent overall.

It looks good. But they overdid the post processing, maybe because it's a trailer.
But the motion blur, the chromatic aberration and especially, the color grading, make it look worse.

At least the faces have proper subsurface scattering, which is more than what Alan Wake 2 has, with it's ABS plastic faces.

Audiophile

Image quality really has gone down the pan on most titles. Temporal stability is often terrible, specular is coarse, particle fx look extra crispy and just fall apart with bad TAA, not just RT; but screen space reflections have gotten noisier somehow. I'm sorry but your temporal upscaling solution really isn't working if it amounts to looking like smeared Vaseline with hideous excess sharpening/ringing layered on top. There's a just complete lack of coherency in a lot of titles. All these off the shelf non-ML solutions like FSR and UE's solution just suck. Even last gen smaller devs were doing solid upsampling with far less.

Devs are getting carried away with upscaling. You need a good solution + ~50% native pixels. It's 2023 and I'm still seeing notable aliasing, subpixel crawl/shimmer, extremely noisy reflections and considerable breakup on movement. Very few devs are balancing the frame anymore. Everyone's doing technically impressive things but not considering how it all comes together. Image Quality, Temporal Stability & Performance Consistency should be the primary goal imo. Everything else should be traded off against those and then balanced with each other to make the most pleasing image. At this point, I consider bad IQ to be a broken game.

Senua

Gold Member
Image quality really has gone down the pan on most titles. Temporal stability is often terrible, specular is coarse, particle fx look extra crispy and just fall apart with bad TAA, not just RT; but screen space reflections have gotten noisier somehow. I'm sorry but your temporal upscaling solution really isn't working if it amounts to looking like smeared Vaseline with hideous excess sharpening/ringing layered on top. There's a just complete lack of coherency in a lot of titles. All these off the shelf non-ML solutions like FSR and UE's solution just suck. Even last gen smaller devs were doing solid upsampling with far less.

Devs are getting carried away with upscaling. You need a good solution + ~50% native pixels. It's 2023 and I'm still seeing notable aliasing, subpixel crawl/shimmer, extremely noisy reflections and considerable breakup on movement. Very few devs are balancing the frame anymore. Everyone's doing technically impressive things but not considering how it all comes together. Image Quality, Temporal Stability & Performance Consistency should be the primary goal imo. Everything else should be traded off against those and then balanced with each other to make the most pleasing image. At this point, I consider bad IQ to be a broken game.
Yup.

Consoles need something like DLSS, and FSR needs to stop sucking juicy nads

Also, you guys ready to be blown away?

Last edited:
This is funny. The game looks like dog shit on the Nintendo switch, but hey it runs.

I am convinced that almost every single PS4 game can be ported down to PS360 era hardware. We talk about last gen leaps as this massive game changing generational leaps over PS360 but if witcher 3, arkham knight and other generation defining games are being ported to the switch then how ambitious and next gen were they really?

of course, the graphics have taken a massive hit and the resolution is pure trash, but the game is there. Completely playable with all features. not a single next gen only feature in these games that couldnt be ported down.

I am so fucking ready for games to start leaving PS360 era game design and tech behind. Lets do something fucking new. Physics, destruction, AI. Lets fucking go. So far, we've only gotten some cool setpieces from FF16, Spiderman 2, and Ratchet, but thats mostly SSD stuff. Ratchet runs just fine on the steamdeck. Rockstar give me destruction please.

Not so fast though, isn’t the switch still decently more powerful than the 360 and/or the PS3? I could be mistaken on that

SlimySnake

Not so fast though, isn’t the switch still decently more powerful than the 360 and/or the PS3? I could be mistaken on that
Nope. Slightly more powerful, but only the docked version. Supposedly docked is 390 gflops to handheld being 190 glfops. PS3 and X360 were around 250 gflops but PS3 never performed like its theoretical gflops. The switch is based on newer architecture so it comes with some IPC gains but its firmly in the PS360 class of hardware. Way behind PS4x1.

Audiophile

So who here is gonna have a meltdown tomorrow, if Rockstar announces the game releases for last-gen consoles too? SlimySnake SlimySnake 💀
Yup, a circa 2011 Netbook CPU & high latency mechanical HDDs with a ~20MB/s throughput would be a dire bottleneck for fundamental game design, simulation etc.

Given we'll be four years/halfway through the current gen at release, this being a GTA/R* game that'll last 10+ years and have extremely long sales legs (plus GTAO); and there'll probably be >80M current gen consoles by then. I'm very hopeful.

SlimySnake

It looks good. But they overdid the post processing, maybe because it's a trailer.
But the motion blur, the chromatic aberration and especially, the color grading, make it look worse.

At least the faces have proper subsurface scattering, which is more than what Alan Wake 2 has, with it's ABS plastic faces.
Perfect example on how to underwhelm with a shitty trailer. little to no gameplay. no one is going to give a shit about a trailer like this.

Dragon Dogma is how you create excitement. Worse graphics but people are blown away by what was shown.

Also first person cutscenes are dumb.

What bothers me is that last gen the Pro consoles solved this without hitting native 4k. 4kcb was good enough in Death Stranding, HZD and virtually every game other than maybe RDR2 which had a broken checkerboarding implementation. ND used 1440p and that was good enough. devs simply have to target 1440p or 4kcb or FSR2 4k quality, but you either get native 4k in Sony games or games that drop all the way down to 1080p. AW2 is 1296p or roughly 2.8 million pixels. Way below the 4.1 million pixels you get from 4kcb before they are filled in by fake pixels. Or even the 3.7 million pixels of a 1440p image. Its simply too low of a base image to reconstruct anything.

I am interested to see how Avatar handles its quality mode. its fsr 2 quality which is mostly fine, albeit with some caveats. its no DLSS but its roughly on par with 4kcb. To me, that should be the baseline. 1440p or FSR 4k quality. Then downgrade the visuals a bit.

UE5's TSR solution is really good though. Hell, i am using the Temporal AA option in Callisto protocol on PC with resolution scaling set to 60% of 4k and its way better than FSR2 quality. And thats the UE4 version of their TSR solution. UE5 games simply shouldnt be using FSR when TSR is right there and a way better upscaling solution.

With all that said, 60 fps modes should be exempt from this. If you are playing games on a $400 console expecting great IQ for 60 fps modes then you dont get to complain. Sorry. Even on PC, we have to sacrifice resolution and settings to get 60 fps nowadays. And thats after spending thousands of dollars on fancy CPU and GPUs.

SlimySnake

How far from release do cockstar normally announce something and/or show a trailer?
Cockstar typically announce the game a year before release but then they delay the game by a year anyway. They did this with RDR2 which was supposed to be released in 2017 but ended up getting delayed to 2018.

GTA4 was revealed a year before release, but GTA5 was revealed 2 years before release.

So who here is gonna have a meltdown tomorrow, if Rockstar announces the game releases for last-gen consoles too? SlimySnake SlimySnake 💀
Nothing will faze me anymore. I have been expecting the worst since the leaks showed PS4 devkits being used to create the game. Even if the game is next gen only, it means nothing nowadays. plenty of next gen only games look worse than PS4 games nowadays.

I hope its next gen and our first Matrix moment in a game this gen, but i would not be surprised if it looks on par with say cyberpunk or spiderman 2.

Last edited:

hlm666

Cockstar typically announce the game a year before release but then they delay the game by a year anyway. They did this with RDR2 which was supposed to be released in 2017 but ended up getting delayed to 2018.

GTA4 was revealed a year before release, but GTA5 was revealed 2 years before release.
Cheers, so xmas 24 best case but should probably bank on a delay into 25.

shamoomoo

Here is another cyberpunk and spiderman 2 comparison. For this one, i went to the original e3 reveal spot right outside V's apartment complex. There are definitely more NPCs there than in other streets but still no where near as many, nor as varied as in spiderman 2.

What struck out the most in spiderman 2 was just how many different things people are doing. They are hanging out in groups, having chats at cafes, sitting down in parks, hipsters doing yoga by the river. I saw a crash and remembered this one medic giving a guy some concussion protocol tests, so figured id go capture that but instead ran into two cops talking about their day. then found a karen wanting to go through the crash scene arguing with another cop. there is stuff like that in cyberpunk as well, but here there is so much of it. you will hear random conversations from pedastrians that are not scripted like this. Also heard people speaking chinese and spanish.

Also had to double check my settings because i dont remember cyberpunk looking this rough but i have rt shadows, reflections and rtgi at medium and other settings at high. 4k dlss performance.

What settings are playing at on each game?

SlimySnake

What settings are playing at on each game?
cyberpunk settings are at the start of the game. all high/max settings including the crowds. ray traced GI at medium, rt shadows and rt reflections on. i think i had one of the two rt shadows off. thats in the other video i took yesterday.

fidelity mode on spiderman 2.

GymWolf

Perfect example on how to underwhelm with a shitty trailer. little to no gameplay. no one is going to give a shit about a trailer like this.

Dragon Dogma is how you create excitement. Worse graphics but people are blown away by what was shown.

Also first person cutscenes are dumb.

What bothers me is that last gen the Pro consoles solved this without hitting native 4k. 4kcb was good enough in Death Stranding, HZD and virtually every game other than maybe RDR2 which had a broken checkerboarding implementation. ND used 1440p and that was good enough. devs simply have to target 1440p or 4kcb or FSR2 4k quality, but you either get native 4k in Sony games or games that drop all the way down to 1080p. AW2 is 1296p or roughly 2.8 million pixels. Way below the 4.1 million pixels you get from 4kcb before they are filled in by fake pixels. Or even the 3.7 million pixels of a 1440p image. Its simply too low of a base image to reconstruct anything.

I am interested to see how Avatar handles its quality mode. its fsr 2 quality which is mostly fine, albeit with some caveats. its no DLSS but its roughly on par with 4kcb. To me, that should be the baseline. 1440p or FSR 4k quality. Then downgrade the visuals a bit.

UE5's TSR solution is really good though. Hell, i am using the Temporal AA option in Callisto protocol on PC with resolution scaling set to 60% of 4k and its way better than FSR2 quality. And thats the UE4 version of their TSR solution. UE5 games simply shouldnt be using FSR when TSR is right there and a way better upscaling solution.

With all that said, 60 fps modes should be exempt from this. If you are playing games on a $400 console expecting great IQ for 60 fps modes then you dont get to complain. Sorry. Even on PC, we have to sacrifice resolution and settings to get 60 fps nowadays. And thats after spending thousands of dollars on fancy CPU and GPUs.
Who the fuck is blown away by dd2 in this topic?

Last edited:

GymWolf

never said in this topic. but in the main OT plenty of people have been impressed by the scale i know you dont care for.
They are impressed for the game itself, not the graphic, the first game was a turd with good combat but it has a lot of fanboys nevertheless.

I guess the big statue is nice but then again, we had something similar in gow2\shadow of the titan\darksiders 2 on ps2 and the destruction is still scripted, that statue is not gonna walk free for the village to destroy houses and shit that is not supposed to be broken during his path, you know it, i know it.
I heard that you loved mercenaries on ps2 so i don't get why are you impressed by scripted destruction in 2023...mercenaries destruction would be impressive, not this stuff.

And as a setpiece, is not even on the same scale of what we had in ff16, so again, what is that blow your mind so much?

Last edited:

Neilg

this is apparently gameplay.)

vb8o7bc.gif

Maybe on a 4090, but even then my guess is that's a target render that was exported at 1fps. no chance it's looking like that on consoles - look at the shadowing and reflection on the green tiles as she kicks off it. It looks like it was rendered with an offline renderer like vray.
It's insignificant and we wouldn't notice if it was a simpler approximation, but the level of detail and responsiveness in that subtle shadow right now cannot be done on a ps5 in real time.

They are impressed for the game itself, not the graphic, the first game was a turd with good combat but it has a lot of fanboys nevertheless.

I guess the big statue is nice but then again, we had something similar in gow2\shadow of the titan\darksiders 2 on ps2 and the destruction is still scripted, that statue is not gonna walk free for the village to destroy houses and shit that is not supposed to be broken during his path, you know it, i know it.
I heard that you loved mercenaries on ps2 so i don't get why are you impressed by scripted destruction in 2023...mercenaries destruction would be impressive, not this stuff.

And as a setpiece, is not even on the same scale of what we had in ff16, so again, what is that blow your mind so much?

Darksiders 2 was on PS2?!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
More fake than chiefdata enthusiasm for any xbox game with good graphic.

Lol, does such a game exist???

Yes! The bad iq is depressing! Also, infuriating. No reason why last gen should have better iq than this gen.

Pixel quality (RT lighting, particles fx, subpixel geometry) vs pixel quantity (720p, 4k, etc.). Finding the right balance is key. Vast majority of UE5 games have done a poor job finding the right balance.

The generation has been really disappointing.

Booted up Demon Souls on the PS5 and it still looks miles better than almost everything else that has followed.

Between this fact, upscaling ruining iq, and seeing a lack of meaningful ray tracing etc we need mid gen consoles. Because these consoles aren't up to the task of having 60 fps in demanding games with good iq ..we'll literally never be able to play games like Avatar, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2 and FF16 in a say that is really impressive. That ship has most likely sailed! Why? Because as far as devs are concerned their work is done. The best we'll get when and if mid gen refreshes arrive is these games running at slightly higher resolution, because then the game will run closer towards whatever the upper bounds of DRS that's already in place now.

Without devs reworking these games via updates, which most won't bother with all that extra work- let's be real, we'll only have a scaled down performance mode at slightly higher res. No rt gi/soft shadows/tesselation etc. This is why time is of the essence to get more capable hardware in the hands of devs now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom