• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

mrMUR_96

It looks better in motion. especially that area which has lighting that is dynamic with moving light sources. Looks stunning. there are several rooms with heavy fog that looks way better in motion.

Their artists have done a great job with these areas making them look way better than they should. Dead Space remake has a very similar art style but not all of its rooms and corridors look as good. But callisto makes up for last gen lighting and last gen asset quality with some great cinematography in pretty much every scene.

It's free on ps+ and gamepass.
Callisto has ray tracing too for reflections, shadows and translucency on enemy skin.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

This shit is hilarious
cruise.png
. I hope GTA6 is full of random ass NPC's like this. Use AI if you have to to generate as many randomized events as you can

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Hopefully more and more current gen games focus on having great NPCs, because RDR2 still takes the cake there. It honestly is still the golden standard in many ways for video games.

Like, that is genuinely impressive, and I can easily spend an hour involving myself with different people throughout the game. GTA6 is going to be bonkers.

This is why no matter how great the RTGI or reflections are in 2077, it's the NPC's that absolutely ruin it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This shit is hilarious
cruise.png
. I hope GTA6 is full of random ass NPC's like this. Use AI if you have to to generate as many randomized events as you can

I am hoping they meme Andrew Tate, Elon Musk, all the wokesters, and right wingers. Everyone gets trashed equally.

i was at walmart on black friday and some kid just ran through the security doors they have installed with a bunch of stuff. in the middle of the day. the workers didnt even bother doing anything. I would love to see riots and lootings in the streets of GTA6. The real world has turned into GTA these last few years so might as well parody it. Would be hilarious if you are robbing a store at gunpoint and a bunch of kids come in and empty out the store in seconds.

I also hope they redo their crash physics and make cop chases a lot more thrilling. Its good that they have two protagonists which means we can have someone in the passenger seat shooting out the window like in the matrix demo. I want full watch dogs style crash simulations where a simple car crash can create a chain reaction.

Imagine this but not scripted and more dynamic.

__Qf2AjLwojIjJCLyojI0JCLiAzLclzNyIDO4kTOyQTMvwFMvwFajRXYt9FcwF2c3VmbvwVbvNmLn1Wa0dmLzdXZul2Lc9CX6MHc0RHaiojIsJye.webp

ckstine

I am hoping they meme Andrew Tate, Elon Musk, all the wokesters, and right wingers. Everyone gets trashed equally.

i was at walmart on black friday and some kid just ran through the security doors they have installed with a bunch of stuff. in the middle of the day. the workers didnt even bother doing anything. I would love to see riots and lootings in the streets of GTA6. The real world has turned into GTA these last few years so might as well parody it. Would be hilarious if you are robbing a store at gunpoint and a bunch of kids come in and empty out the store in seconds.

I also hope they redo their crash physics and make cop chases a lot more thrilling. Its good that they have two protagonists which means we can have someone in the passenger seat shooting out the window like in the matrix demo. I want full watch dogs style crash simulations where a simple car crash can create a chain reaction.

__Qf2AjLwojIjJCLyojI0JCLiAzLclzNyIDO4kTOyQTMvwFMvwFajRXYt9FcwF2c3VmbvwVbvNmLn1Wa0dmLzdXZul2Lc9CX6MHc0RHaiojIsJye.webp
tbf i dont think that black friday needed to be specified there. walmart is always getting robbed XD

SlimySnake

Man.. This reminds me of how much my heart sunk when starting to play Cyberpunk and noticed how the city simulation worked. Npc behavior, physics and animations.. it was disappointing..

Disclaimer: Cyberpunk is still one of my favorite games of all time.
Whats funny about cyberpunk is that it is one of the few games that got a glow up instead of a downgrade after the first gameplay reveal.

Ux7gs1e.gif

At least on PC. what they couldnt do was get their pedestrian system working. The animations were so bad i couldnt believe it. Its much better now in terms of NPC behavior but those janky NPC walking animations are still there even after 3 years and $125 million they put into cyberpunk 2.0. This is one area where Spiderman 2 is better than Cyberpunk. not just the number of NPCs but the npc variety, and animations is top notch.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
With the GTA 6 hype, I finished replaying GTA V again.

Had they made graphical updates to GTA V since it's initial release? With everything at Ultra/Max, it still looks quite nice. Definitely wouldn't guess it was 10 years old.

This is why no matter how great the RTGI or reflections are in 2077, it's the NPC's that absolutely ruin it.
Rockstar just has an insane amount of resources that no other gaming company could logically have. It wouldn't surprise me if they had more developers working on random NPC daily routines than other AAA studios had developing entire games

Last edited:
The art direction is terribly generic. I played it after AW2, RE4R and Dead Space and it's easily the weakest looking of the bunch.

I just played some of The Order again. The Order is more impressive than Callisto and 99% of games today. The way they crafted that game ...the detail is insane! The material quality is incredible. The lighting .. it's obviously not using the latest tech but my God the cinematic presentation I don't think it's been eclipsed even by Naughty Dog!

2015 .... it has been almost 9 years ....9 YEARS! I think what they accomplished was the most impressive visuals ever made given the time period. Just purely visuals forget about the linearity for a second. Only thing that hasn't held up is character models and animations but even those two things were amazing for the time.

Bro I played some Watch Dogs 1 yesterday and man, that games open world is full of life and has great interactivity! What an underrated game. They actually put a lot of effort into all areas of that game. Possibly the last Ubisoft game to be truly ambitious. Such a shame what Watchdogs devolved into, frickin Watchdogs Legion. WD1 needs a remaster (well, it really just needs a damn patch but that's not how these publishers operate).

SlimySnake

With the GTA 6 hype, I finished replaying GTA V again.

Had they made graphical updates to GTA V since it's initial release? With everything at Ultra/Max, it still looks quite nice. Definitely wouldn't guess it was 10 years old.
Yes. They added in a lot more detail and foliage on the next gen (now last gen remasters). The PC version is built on top of those and enhances things further.

Here is a PS3 to PS4 official video.

But digital foundry had the best comparison. This is still their most watched video of all time.

The PS5 and XSX remasters added ray traced shadows then rt reflections a few months later.

HighPoly

Banned
Yes. They added in a lot more detail and foliage on the next gen (now last gen remasters). The PC version is built on top of those and enhances things further.

Here is a PS3 to PS4 official video.

But digital foundry had the best comparison. This is still their most watched video of all time.

The PS5 and XSX remasters added ray traced shadows then rt reflections a few months later.

This will be the jump from GTA V to GTA 6 ??

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Reminder that GTA V was built around PS3/360 limitations. GTA 6 will be the current gen benchmark in many areas for years to come.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Whats funny about cyberpunk is that it is one of the few games that got a glow up instead of a downgrade after the first gameplay reveal.

Ux7gs1e.gif

At least on PC. what they couldnt do was get their pedestrian system working. The animations were so bad i couldnt believe it. Its much better now in terms of NPC behavior but those janky NPC walking animations are still there even after 3 years and $125 million they put into cyberpunk 2.0. This is one area where Spiderman 2 is better than Cyberpunk. not just the number of NPCs but the npc variety, and animations is top notch.
Npcs variety? What? The npcs looking all different and stylish is one of the selling point of cyberpunk, the npcs in spidey are super boring, they barely react to anything and you can barely interact with them, they are shit tier npcs, visually uninteresting, ultra basic and limited ia, almost zero interactions with the world, almost zero interaction with the protagonist.

Slightly better walking animations is not gonna make em better than the npcs in cyberpunk, cmon dude.

They are literally the lowest tier of npcs you can find in the streets of a city based open world.

Gta does better, watch dogs does better, infamous does better, you have to go into starfield territory to find something worse\equivalent to spidey 2 npcs...

Last edited:

Vick

Just wanted to say reading Dead Space: Remake and Callisto Protocol are the same game with same gameplay deserving of the same score..

Well that's just something I never thought I would read today.

A complete free-roam/metroidvania you could finish even at Impossible by killing every single enemy encountered (final boss aside) without firing a single shot by just using the brilliance of its gameplay systems and amount of agency given, extremely fun, responsive and satisfying systems at that, sporting a brilliant randomizer Intensity Director effectively making exploration and optional backtracking/side content always different and tense vs the most linear game I've played since The Order: 1886 and unlike the latter also plagued with some of worst combat systems I've ever encountered in a high budget game, which happens to be just an awfully average, lukewarm, if not legit bad videogame in every single aspect aside for technical ones.

Yes, it looks much better than Dead Space and it's probably one of the very best looking game ever.. but still, DS doesn't exactly look like shit while being an infinitely superior game in every single aspect.. and unlike Callisto doesn't severely downgrade/remove entirely important visual features in its 60fps Mode.
PS5 Performance:

Dead-Space-20230205004157.png

Dead-Space-20230207202956.png

Dead-Space-20230209010618.png

Dead-Space-20230207173055.png

Dead-Space-20230207161759.png

Dead-Space-20230206173333.png

Dead-Space-20230206175548.png

Dead-Space-20230204223515.png

Dead-Space-20230205023902.png

Dead-Space-20230207015228.png

Dead-Space-20230207004916.png

The OG Dead Space has been one of my favorite games since D1 in 2008, and yet I didn't finish it four damn times in a row like I did with its Remake.
It's legit my favorite game played this Gen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just played some of The Order again. The Order is more impressive than Callisto and 99% of games today. The way they crafted that game ...the detail is insane! The material quality is incredible. The lighting .. it's obviously not using the latest tech but my God the cinematic presentation I don't think it's been eclipsed even by Naughty Dog!

2015 .... it has been almost 9 years ....9 YEARS! I think what they accomplished was the most impressive visuals ever made given the time period. Just purely visuals forget about the linearity for a second. Only thing that hasn't held up is character models and animations but even those two things were amazing for the time.
The game is also lucky to have one of the most blurry, low res, soft iq i ever seen (plus film grain) to hide all the rough spots and make it look better than how it really is.

Replayed last year just to check if my memory about the iq was correct and yeah, it's downright disturbing how soft that game looks on a 4k oled.

I don't think it looks really as good as the best games we have today.

They had to massacre the resolution, put black bars and make a super small, restricted game to achieve that result, it was not just talent, they had to make sacrifices that other devs didn't wanted to do.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just wanted to say reading Dead Space: Remake and Callisto Protocol are the same game with same gameplay..

A complete free-roam/metroidvania you could finish even at Impossible by killing every single enemy encountered (final boss aside) without firing a single shot by just using the brilliance of its gameplay systems and amount of agency given, extremely fun, responsive and satisfying systems at that, sporting a brilliant randomizer Intensity Director effectively making exploration and optional backtracking/side content always different and tense vs the most linear game I've played since The Order: 1886 and unlike the latter also plagued with some of worst combat systems I've ever encountered in a high budget game, which happens to be just an awfully average, lukewarm, if not legit bad videogame in every single aspect aside for technical ones.

Yes, it looks much better than Dead Space and it's probably one of the very best looking game ever.. but still, DS doesn't exactly look like shit while being an infinitely superior game in every single aspect.. and unlike Callisto doesn't severely downgrade/remove entirely important visual features in its 60fps Mode.
PS5 Performance:

The OG Dead Space has been one of my favorite games since D1 in 2008, and yet I didn't finish it four damn times in a row like I did with its Remake.
And when you add the demerits of callisto to the merits of ds the difference grow even bigger.

Callisto is not a bad game compared to ds, callisto is a bad game full stop.

Even making the comparison was one of the wildest moments of this topic, close to the dude who posted botw pics in a graphical fidelity topic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Hugare

Just wanted to say reading Dead Space: Remake and Callisto Protocol are the same game with same gameplay deserving of the same score..

A complete free-roam/metroidvania you could finish even at Impossible by killing every single enemy encountered (final boss aside) without firing a single shot by just using the brilliance of its gameplay systems and amount of agency given

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

This is the only "no guns" run that I could find on Youtube

Does it look like it was designed to be played that way?

You can downplay Callisto without having to come up with made up stuff for DS

DS has more weapon variety, but with all of them you aim for legs/arms and they play basically the same. Not only that, but the Plasma Cutter (the defaulkt weapon) is by far the best weapon in the game, so all the others are just ... meaningless. You shoot the legs/arms of every enemy and you are good.

Tbh, I've used the gameplay systems in Callisto way more. I had to prepare before each fight about shooting the spitter's head first, throw one enemy at the blender, do a melee+critical shot combo on the other and etc.

In DS it was all about getting distance and shoot shoot arm then shoot shoot leg. It got a little better in DS 2 where you could use telekinesis way more during fights

The Intensity Director was a nice touch in DS tho.

As far as I know, both games only remove RT shadows in Performance mode.

Last edited:

Vick

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

This is the only "no guns" run that I could find on Youtube

Does it look like it was designed to be played that way?

You can downplay Callisto without having to come up with made up stuff for DS

Made up stuff?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Must have imagined beating the game three times at Impossible collecting ammo and resources for my storage and once reached max capacity aiming for basically infinite money by selling them. You thought linking a video of the OG 2008 (different game, different structure, different controls, different damage, different animations and hitboxes, different instakill objects placement) was going to erase my memories of the Remake?

Start the game at Impossible, pay me a fee and I'm gladily going to hold your hand room by room explaining to you how to do it. Which ain't really complicated at all if you're a half decent with surival games.

And yes, it was obviously and blatantly designed to be played this way if you wanted to. The game gave you this freedom, otherwise they wouldn't have placed thousands of instakill/two hits kill objects, like shelves chassis turning into four free instakill objects, tubes, the vents enemies come through, explosives, without mentioning the enemies own limbs, all over the damn place. They wouldn't have changed how the stomp mechanic works allowing you to kill enemies by simply using stasis and stomping next to them. They wouldn't have have made bosses vulnerable to their own weapons you can simply catch mid air and throw back at them.. etc. etc. etc.

The flow "throw sharp object-detach limb-throw limb to other enemy" is the best aspect of the game.

As far as I know, both games only remove RT shadows in Performance mode.
Callisto removes dynamic shadows altogether, DS only changes the way they are rendered in a way it's basically impossible to notice while playing.

Last edited:

Hugare

Made up stuff?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Must have imagined beating the game three times at Impossible collecting ammo and resources for my storage and once reached max capacity aiming for basically infinite money by selling them. You thought linking a video of the OG 2008 (different game, different structure, different controls, different damage, different animations and hitboxes, different instakill objects placement) was going to erase my memories of the Remake?

Start the game at Impossible, pay me a fee and I'm gladily going to hold your hand room by room explaining to you how to do it. Which ain't really complicated at all if you're a half decent with surival games.

And yes, it was obviously and blatantly designed to be played this way if you wanted do. The game gave you this freedom, otherwise they wouldn't have placed thousands of instakill objects, like shelves chassis turning into four free instakill objects, tubes, explosives, without mentioning the enemies limbs, all over the damn place. They wouldn't have changed how the stomp mechanic works allowing you to kill enemies by simply using stasis and stomping next to them. They wouldn't have have made bosses vulnerable to their own weapons you can simply catch mid air and throw back at them.. etc. etc. etc.

The flow "throw sharp object-detach limb-throw limb to other enemy" is the best aspect of the game.

Callisto removes dynamic shadows altogether, DS only changes the way they are rendered in a way it's basically impossible to notice while playing.
All these words and no video showing someone playing the game with no guns 🤷‍♂️

I've played the original DS many, many times. I'm playing the DS Remake right now. And no, you cant do a "no gun" run even in the remake.

They've changed item placements and etc., but it's like saying that you can finish a FPS game just by shooting red barrels. They are there to spice the gameplay, but not designed to be the main gameplay element to play the game.

Using stasis to stomp enemies and using bosses own weapons were there in the original game and are present in the video that I've posted, which makes me question if you've really played the original game so many times.

Not true. Not every dynamic shadow, just some.

In some instances, it can be very transformative, but in most, nah

And even "downgraded" in performance mode, it's still better looking than DS, imo

Last edited:

Vick

All these words and no video showing someone playing the game with no guns 🤷‍♂️
So I should start recording playthroughs of whole games just so I can be believed by people questioning the facts I say, like you?

Man, this Thread as a whole is something else..

I've played the original DS many, many times. I'm playing the DS Remake right now. And no, you cant do a "no gun" run even in the remake.
Yes, you can absolutely do a 99.9% "no gun" run. Open your eyes, experiment, carry things through rooms if necessary.. just be a better player before arguing or calling liar someone who's apparently better than you are.

They've changed item placements and etc., but it's like saying that you can finish a FPS game just by shooting red barrels.
No it's not, every room grant you this possibility, and when they don't, the room next to them have spare items to use you can carry.

Using stasis to stomp enemies and using bosses own weapons were there in the original game and are present in the video that I've posted, which makes me question if you've really played the original game so many times.
Not true at all. You could only kill Leapers and ground-level enemies by using stomp in the original.

They changed this in the Remake so you can now easily kill every Necromorph by standing next to them. Few stomps they'll lose their legs and get on the ground, ready to be stomped to death.

And even "downgraded" in performance mode, it's still better looking than DS, imo
Perhaps it does, don't give a shit personally.
One game is good looking mediocrity for mediocre and average gamers, the other a love letter to old school survival horror fans.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

PS5 Performance:

tbh only thing that looks better in callisto are faces. Nothing else

Hugare

So I should start recording playthrough of whole games just so I can be believed by people questioning the facts I say, like you?

Man, this Thread as a whole is something else..

Yes, you can absolutely do a 99.9% "no gun" run. Open your eyes, experiment, carry things through rooms if necessary.. just be a better player before arguing or calling liar someone who's apparently better than you are.

No it's not, every room grant you this possibility, and when they don't, the room next to them have spare items to use you can carry.

Not true at all. You could only kill Leapers and ground-level enemies by using stomp in the original.

They changed this in the Remake so you can now kill every Necromorph by standing next to them. Enough stomps they'll lose their legs and get on the ground, ready to be stomped to death.

Perhaps it does, don't give a shit personally.
One game is good looking mediocrity for mediocre and average gamers, the other a love letter to old school survival horror fans.
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

As I said before, I've played the game many times. I saw many videos of people playing the game online.

Never saw one person mentioning that you can do a "no guns" run. Never saw one person doing a "no guns" run. Nothing.

But Vick says you can, so fuck me and everyone else

They changed this in the Remake so you can now kill every Necromorph by standing next to them. Enough stomps they'll lose their legs and get on the ground, ready to be stomped to death.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Watch the video at 7:47 and 12:06. You could do that in 2008.

But sure dude, if you want to play the game as if Isaac had autism and pretend that developers planned that, more power to you

Vick

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

As I said before, I've played the game many times. I saw many videos of people playing the game online.

Never saw one person mentioning that you can do a "no guns" run. Never saw one person doing a "no guns" run. Nothing.

But Vick says you can, so fuck me and everyone else
What I don't understand is why on earth should I care?

I did it, played the games mostly like this because it's fun, couldn't care less about others and Youtubers. And the game's out for less than a year and has been kind of a flop, give it time.
Just found this is less than a second search ffs:

Many said it's possible, minus the final Boss as I said.

The OG is NOT the same game so stop using that as reference.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Watch the video at 7:47 and 12:06. You could do that in 2008.

Regenator and Dividers.. clearly the same thing as regular Necromorphs I was talking about.

Ask yourself why the guy in the video uses useless punches against them instead of killing them in 30 seconds using stomp...

But let's even say you could and I wasn't as good of player in 2008 and somehow missed you could do it and never did ever since. It wouldn't change a literal rat ass on this matter.

But sure dude, if you want to play the game as if Isaac had autism and pretend that developers planned that, more power to you
Vine Ok GIF

Yeah they clearly didn't planned players would use their systems..

Point was DS allowed you to play it however you want it, because systems are solid and flexible. Unlike Callisto's.

Last edited:

Hugare

What I don't understand is why on earth should I care?

I did it, played the games mostly like this because it's fun, couldn't care less about others and Youtubers. And the game's out for less than a year and has been kind of a flop, give it time.
Just found this is less than a second search ffs:

Many said it's possible, minus the final Boss as I said.

The OG is NOT the same game so stop using that as reference.

Regenator and Dividers.. clearly the same thing as regular Necromorphs I was talking about.

Ask yourself why the guy in the video uses useless punches against them instead of killing them in 30 seconds using stomp...

But let's even say you could and I wasn't as good of player in 2008 and somehow missed you could do it and never did ever since. It wouldn't change a literal rat ass on this matter.

Vine Ok GIF

Yeah they clearly didn't planned players would use their systems..

Point was DS allowed you to play it however you want it, because systems are solid and flexible. Unlike Callisto's.

So this means that Callisto's systems are also solid and flexible, right?

Right?

I rest my case

It got too off topic already, so let's back to discussing graphics

Vick

So this means that Callisto's systems are also solid and flexible, right?

Right?

I rest my case

It got too off topic already, so let's back to discussing graphics

Ok, let's end this useless OT.

I enjoyed playing DS, found it to have enough depth, flexibility and agency, as well as being a responsive and fluid game to control, to grant me extreme amount of fun for four playthroughs in a row.
Including out of the box things such as killing every single regular enemy minus maybe the guardians (which you could instakill in the OG but here they are a pain in the ass and would require alot of backtracking just to be able to do it) and obviously final boss/similar huge ass bosses alike like Leviathan or its tentacles in those scripted sequences, without firing a single shot and simply using the literally countless lethal objects the devs placed in every room.
This along with its perfect structure made it my favorite game of the whole generation so far.

I did not enjoy playing Callisto, found it extremely limited and limiting in every way and the systems were not fluid, intuitive, responsive nor fun.
And the extraordinarily linear environments killed every sense of exploration for me to the point I couldn't even finish the game, despite being a graphics whore and receiving the game for free.

I though the idea of them deserving the same score and being described as being the same game simply heretical, which compelled me to post.

All lived happily ever after. The end.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is what I said in regards to them being the same type of game.

Nah they both have the same issues. Next to re4, they are both inferior for the same exact reasons. The only difference between the two games is that one is a shooter while the other is melee game. Otherwise in terms of level design, storytelling, character development or lack thereof, and lack of variety, boss fights and setpieces they are the same game. Both games should be studied in universities next to Sony games that do all those things better.

I literally just played dead space a few ago. Loved it but dropped it because it remained the same game for 5 hours. Go into a room, destroy limbs, find out nothing has changed story wise, go into another room, destroy limbs, rinse and repeat Callisto is the same way. I’m sticking with it because i am enjoying the combat and visuals more.

Honestly, it wasnt until I played Spiderman 2 when i realized just how great Sony studios are at crafting single player games. Something both callisto and dead space simply fail to emulate. They feel stuck in 2008. Go into a room, kill people, rinse and repeat until the end. Fight 2-3 bosses in the entire game. Have one big character moment after having played 90% of the game. Both Callisto and DS remake have the same exact structure 15 years after DS came out. Sony realized that it was not enough. You need a boss fight every 2-3 missions. You need a setpiece every 2-3 missions. You need heartfelt character moments and big plot beats and twists to keep things from being stale. DS and Callisto are just about trying to get out of some hellhole and doing glorified fetch quests to 'fix' things. Sorry, but thats not enough in 2023. At least not when you are making this kind of game.

Compare DS and callisto to TLOU2 and i know you hate TLOU2, but its also a survival horror story driven game so a more accurate comparison compared to spiderman2. They dont let you do the same thing too many times. Right at the start they give you a full big open world to explore. then they have setpieces. they give you a boat. then more setpieces. chase scenes. crazy boss fights. massive character moments sprinkled through out. DS and Calisto remain the same corridor game from start to finish. The only variety is when DS gives you zero g sections and callisto lets you go outside. In those aspects, yes they are effectively the same game. but with different combat styles. The only reason why i finished callisto was because the melee combat was different while DS combat was effectively the same as it was in 2010. (i only played Dead Space 2, not the original)

Hey, I literally said I loved dead space. i just had my reasons for dropping it. After around 5 hours of really enjoying the game, I thought I had seen all there was to see in the game. At first i was like, this is a blast from the past. I love how old school it feels. And then i realized why it never caught on with the mainstream crowd, and remained a cult hit. It's the same game from start to finish. There are no epic setpieces. Very few boss fights, if any. There is no character development moments. Or if there are, like in callisto, they are kept to a minimum. I think CP has maybe 2 setpieces and they are of your standard falling variety.

And honestly, i dont think EA did a great job with the metroidvania style level design. The game still feels heavily linear. They have done a great job of connecting these levels, but they are all linear anyway. Maybe later the game has you revisit them with new abilities but i quit after having received most of the abilities and weapons and didnt feel any need to go revisit those areas to open new doors and levels despite the tram now connecting every level.

PS5 Performance:

Yeah, callisto's 60 fps mode takes a massive visual hit, but dead space isnt doing much more. I didnt know this until someone here pointed this out but after watching the DF review, I was surprised to see it feature not one but three rt effects. Dont think any game has done that this gen on consoles. Most add rt shadows or rt reflections and call it a day. Those go away in the 60 fps mode.

Other than that, I think both games have similar asset quality, lighting quality, fog and volumetric effects, but Callisto pulls ahead due to its constant use of volumetric lighting in every single room whereas DS keeps it for certain rooms as you can see them lacking in half of your shots. It makes other rooms feel incomplete, but thats an artistic choice and its clear Callisto artists went ham on those volumetric effects and did a phenomenal job lighting every single room. It is by far the most consistently good looking game ive played this gen because of its cinematography.

SlimySnake

This game will never come out.
However,
Naughty Dogs next SP game, if its linear, will look like that.
But I have a strong feeling it will be an open world game.
if that SciFi New IP rumor is true, and its open world then it will look a lot like star wars outlaws. With better cinematography.

Their open world rendering isnt exactly industry leading as we can see from the open world Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and TLOU2 levels. So they will probably have to settle with sharing the spotlight with outlaws.

H6qmPHB.gif

Is Robocops fidelity mode borked after yesterday's patch for anyone? I fired it up and could tell immediately that the framerate went to shit. Did it always go to shit during the Quarry section? I've been enjoying having a true UE5 showcase with a smooth fidelity mode. It's not smooth now and has massive slowdowns where it feels like slo motion.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Is Robocops fidelity mode borked after yesterday's patch for anyone? I fired it up and could tell immediately that the framerate went to shit. Did it always go to shit during the Quarry section? I've been enjoying having a true UE5 showcase with a smooth fidelity mode. It's not smooth now and has massive slowdowns where it feels like slo motion.
thats disappointing to hear. bought it on steam over the weekend and noticed a patch waiting for me yesterday. sadly, cant launch the game without updating on steam.

try the steam forums or reddit page for the game and see if others are seeing the same issues.

The game is also lucky to have one of the most blurry, low res, soft iq i ever seen (plus film grain) to hide all the rough spots and make it look better than how it really is.

Replayed last year just to check if my memory about the iq was correct and yeah, it's downright disturbing how soft that game looks on a 4k oled.

I don't think it looks really as good as the best games we have today.

They had to massacre the resolution, put black bars and make a super small, restricted game to achieve that result, it was not just talent, they had to make sacrifices that other devs didn't wanted to do.

The iq is much better than most 2014/2015 games from ps4/xb1. Considering it never got a resolution patch, it's amazing how well it holds on a 4k tv. No other games from that era that didn't get patched hold up. Driveclub, Watchdogs, ryse, battlefield, bloodborne ...they look like shit on 4k oled. I won't claim the motion blur and black bars don't have lot to do with that because they do. Point is: all this game needs is a resolution boost and 60 fps and it won't have any iq issues, in fact it will look better than 99% of games. No doubt it's a combo of artistic prowess and programming. Also, realize that most cinematic games today are still using the same motion blur and grain that Order has.

Buggy Loop

if that SciFi New IP rumor is true, and its open world then it will look a lot like star wars outlaws. With better cinematography.

Their open world rendering isnt exactly industry leading as we can see from the open world Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and TLOU2 levels. So they will probably have to settle with sharing the spotlight with outlaws.

H6qmPHB.gif

I'm never gonna trust an Ubisoft graphic presentation after all their bullshit downgrades over the years.

Same goes for Outlaws.

thats disappointing to hear. bought it on steam over the weekend and noticed a patch waiting for me yesterday. sadly, cant launch the game without updating on steam.

try the steam forums or reddit page for the game and see if others are seeing the same issues.

I'm on PS5. Console gamers are so oblivious though. That's why it's always worrying when a game gets made worse in a patch on console. Often it never gets fixed because console dummies, "it looks fine to me". That's the typical response on forums!

PS- I really came around on this game. Didn't impress me much until I got to the biker gang level and now the Quarry. Not used to this kind of lighting and density. Lighting/shading is so accurate the way it streams in through windows and fills up the space.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

Npcs variety? What? The npcs looking all different and stylish is one of the selling point of cyberpunk, the npcs in spidey are super boring, they barely react to anything and you can barely interact with them, they are shit tier npcs, visually uninteresting, ultra basic and limited ia, almost zero interactions with the world, almost zero interaction with the protagonist.
NPCs in SM2 only perform basic actions, but they are not unresponsive.
When Spidey flies low or engages in combat, they crouch, fall, scream, and some run away.
As Spidey walks down the street, they pull out their phones, ask for a hug, and say a few words.
The developers seem to have focused more on increasing the number of NPCs and vehicles than on more diverse interactions.
There are limits to the console's CPU (Zen 2).
kPOAz6K.jpg
JckJvwp.jpg

SlimySnake

I'm never gonna trust an Ubisoft graphic presentation after all their bullshit downgrades over the years.

Same goes for Outlaws.
Yeah, but I am saying ND will make their final game look like that even if Massive downgrades theirs.

Not expecting Matrix visuals from rockstar or naughty dog. they will stand out because of their artistry and cinematography.

Buggy Loop

Pertinent for the thread

Yeah, but I am saying ND will make their final game look like that even if Massive downgrades theirs.

Not expecting Matrix visuals from rockstar or naughty dog. they will stand out because of their artistry and cinematography.

Yea, I doubt anyone will push as hard as ND by end of gen.

SlimySnake

The developers seem to have focused more on increasing the number of NPCs and vehicles than on more diverse interactions.
Actually, they have reduced the number of NPCs from Miles and the remastered version of Spiderman. You cant notice that in streets since the NPC numbers are still much higher than the PS4 versions, but when you go to times square you can definitely see fewer NPCs.

That said, what they did do was increase NPC variety. You no longer have people wearing the same black suits. You also have NPCs that are doing different things like you said. They might not be interactive but they are talking to others. playing basketball, watching other people play basketball, congregating among themselves, and simply doing more than what they did back in the PS4 games where all they did was walk around. It is by far the most lived in city ive played both in terms of NPC behavior and NPC count. RDR2 would probably have more variety in st. denis but the number of NPCs is lacking.

one thing i noticed that no one talks about was that there is so much chatter and i dont mean just the scripted stuff that went viral on tiktok. You just have people saying stuff. Sometimes it jibberish and you dont even know who said it but it all adds up to create a far more believable NYC than in the PS4 games.

So all those new NPC behaviors definitely ended up filling up their cpu budget otherwise they wouldve had the same NPC count as Miles and the remaster.

SlimySnake

Pertinent for the thread

i was excited to post it because this is literally what we discuss in the thread every week. but the discussion here is so vapid and so boring that I feel there is nothing interesting to dissect here. john almost said something interesting when he said that some people arent able to articulate just what makes graphics great, but his GT7 example didnt make much sense.

I think DF's focus on touting PR visual features like ray tracing, native 4k, DLSS and vrr has made people think those features are what make games next gen. John does talk about actual visual fidelity before going into those pixel counts and framerate analysis but the other guys either cant articulate why one game looks better than the other or spend all day jerking off to ray traced shadows like Alex does in every video.

if their own viewerbase is telling them that they dont see why games have become so much more graphically taxing then clearly they have failed at highlighting what makes these games so graphically taxing. This is why comparing games to OTHER games is so crucial. People need to see what games used to look like in the first half of last gen and how much things have improved. Our mind is great at filling in detail so we think these older games always looked this good, but thats why you need DF to compare Alan Wake 2 with similar games from last gen. Dont zoom in 400% to show salt and pepper shakers casting reflections within reflections, show just how thick and volumetric the lighting feels in comparison to early gen last gen games, remedy's quantum break, and even the best looking late gen games like TLOU2 and RDR2.

John did this with Spiderman 2 and HFW but i dont see others doing the same with other games. And even john doesnt do cross game comparisons. Something like Avatar MUST be compared against HFW AND similar mid gen games like Witcher 3. just so we can see how far foliage and open world rendering has come. If they just focus on rt shadows and do a before and after showing more diffused shadows, no one is going to want to spend $500-1000 on upgrading their hardware.
Yea, I doubt anyone will push as hard as ND by end of gen.
Sure. I am excited to see where they take motion matching or if they add try some other new feature like motion matching. However, TLOU2 was their third game of the gen, and literally came out the last year of the gen. Their new game will likely come out at the tail end of the gen, but it will also be their first try. We are not going to see an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 4 to TLOU2 leap this time around as they learn and come to grips with maximizing the hardware, and thats disappointing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom