• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Dude..

First of all and just to be clear, my last post reads much more hostile and aggressive than it actually was; I ain't really mad at you.
Plus I know I could never resist responding so that last line was a shameless and blatant bluff.
I cut the pictures simply to hide those ugly YouTube stamp writings. And clearly stated that particular missing shadow screenshot was fixed and was only posted as an example. Now feel free to not believe there's missing shadows in the final game, or that I'm "trying too hard" for whatever reason to prefer a 30fps old gen version of a game. Couldn't care any less, and ignorance is bliss, so feel lucky and enjoy.

Finally, YES, there's obviously a million improvements in the Remaster and it truly must have been a real fucking nightmare for Insomniac to redo the entire game in such a short time.
Can't actually think of a more impressive endeavour than that one, while working with RT to an impressive extent for a Console title.

It's just that I'm too OCD when it comes to these things. I grew up with million different versions of Resident Evil 4 and all the missing things from the OG GameCube version.
Same thing happened years later with the BluePoint Remasters of the Uncharted PS3 Trilogy, then the Arkham Remasters compared to the PC Nvidia versions, then the Alan Wake Remaster, and many, many more instances in between.

As said before:

But I can obviously and totally get those preferring something like the Spider-Man or Arkham Remasters, as the improvements for sure outweight the "downgrades". It's a matter of personal taste.
Man its all good on my side, i really don't have a problem with you or hate you (i hate nobody here :messenger_grinning_sweat: ). I understand where you are coming from. But after seeing all those other remasters atleast Insomniac delivered something which i really praise. Ofcourse not everything was perfect or 100% close to the OG material, but i didn't have a problem with those changes like the faces. I can fully understand if you don't like it and thats fair, my point was they made a very solid remaster with major improvements. Thats all i was tryna point out. And If you go few pages back you will see that i have also called them out for downgrading the water.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was not impressed once while playing that fucking game except for the fast traversal.

I'm not even exagerating for shock effect, nothing in the graphic of this game had me in awe for a single moment.

Tough shit that the light system seems to be the biggest upgrade and i could not care less about that.

Especially after ratchet that was in the discussion for the best looking game (and still is) and spidey 2018, the expectations were skyhigh (before the reveal where they crushed any residual hope).
It has its impressive moments. mostly when you are flying around and in cutscenes/setpieces. But the hair is also very impressive. Trees looked fantastic too. I was honestly blown away by how good the game looked whenever i was flying around during different times of day.

lLXhfmL.gif

NgHCEp2.gif

JF7EsIt.gif

F9FGi48X0AABPjx

20231019_104732.jpg

CGNoire

And back to this post:

This whole neverending discussion:

closed-loop-marketing.png

Imagine being so challenged you consistently fail to understand every single concept presented, even if repeated multiple times, for three pages in a row..

You can post hundreds of pictures of improvements, just like you could post billions for the Arkham Asylum and City Remasters where they look a generation ahead, it won't change a single thing because:

And whether your tasteless ass registered them or not, there's countless of them in every Spider-Man version released after the original.

From issues like huge shadows appearing out of nowhere:

CmAxMkR.gif

To poligonally inferior assets:

NXrWpKq.png

5kWDeq0.png

Reduced distance for trees occlusion:

DAHpkjy.png

Inferior looking assets like the balloons in this example:

TDkefFu.png

Inferior character details like eyelashes in this example:

xO5pCzI.png

Missing shadows like in this example (this particular egregious one was fixed, literal countless others weren't):

nTeYYYz.png

Inferior looking water:

BfjjDEv.png

And literal thousands of instances where I simply prefer the original cinematography:

2DiPPqV.png

And these are just examples I had to quickly find on YT because after finishing both versions + DLCs (and the DLCs in particular are the most impacted ones) I found so many "issues" with the Remaster I could fill five Threads like this:

Lastly, as clearly but vainly explained to you multiple times before, reason why at the moment I'm fine the Part II Remaster is because there's less chance to screw things up with a conservative approach.

Now feel free to even insult me personally, my wife and daughter, I won't dignify you with a response anymore because of the amount of time you made me waste in this Thread.
Those SM downgrades are downright criminal.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Your colors are a lot more vibrant than mine. whats your contrast at?

I dont know if its the most visually stunning world, but its definitely up there. i think cyberpunk and horizon still top the list though avatar should take HFW's place next month.

I think building quality and night time rendering is just so far ahead of Spiderman 2 that all the other things spiderman 2 does right cant make up for it. Its a shame insomniac phoned in the night time lighting. They upgraded day time, dusk time, and even cloudy lighting conditions, but night time just looks last gen as fuck.

other than that, in other lighting conditions, its a stunner for sure.

F90Pl20W0AA6RUt

I boosted brightness (i play on oled) and contrast to 60 and I think it looks best for the afternoon ToD which has become my favorite.

I also recommend people give fast camera setting a try. It makes swinging look so much cooler looking.

CGNoire

I boosted brightness (i play on oled) and contrast to 60 and I think it looks best for the afternoon ToD which has become my favorite.

I also recommend people give fast camera setting a try. It makes swinging look so much cooler looking.
What is "fast camera setting"?

GymWolf

Gold Member
It has its impressive moments. mostly when you are flying around and in cutscenes/setpieces. But the hair is also very impressive. Trees looked fantastic too. I was honestly blown away by how good the game looked whenever i was flying around during different times of day.

lLXhfmL.gif

NgHCEp2.gif

JF7EsIt.gif

F9FGi48X0AABPjx

20231019_104732.jpg
Hairs look worse than fucking fifa and trees are whatever, sure as hell not better than forbidden west trees or many other trees like kingdom come trees (i took pics so i even zoomed on them to see the details)

I repeat myself, NOT A SINGLE FUCKING MOMENT.

Fast traversal is gameplay for me, not graphic.

Super scripted sandman setpiece was way worse than the best setpieces in ff16 and i barely liked those, scripted destruction and big bosses are not impressive since unchy2 collapsing building and gow 3 kronos.

Make me move in real time between buildings with sandman destroying random buildings everytime i get close to them and then we can speak nextgen language, this scripted bullshit was yawn inducing more than awe inducing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just can't get on board with space marine 2, these hordes of wannabe xenomorphs must be the most dull enemies they could chose in the whole warhammer universe, even worse than fucking locusts from gears.

Mindlessly shooting to an horde and slashing in the middle of it for 10 to 20 hours with the same 4 finishers repeatee hundreds of times when the enemies flash red, i just can't see myself enjoying such a mindless and basic gameplay loop.

Graphic looks good for a AA, hardly more impressive than robocop.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the game awards and of course the GTA IV trailer, I imagine we'll get games Looking significantly better than anything currently available.

PeteBull

Its few days belated, but just wanted to post this vid here, to emphasise how much hardware matters, for graphic quality of games.

Incase some1 doesnt feel like puking inside his mouth, quick tldr:
540-720p dynamic res, no any kind of anti-aliasing, huge downgrade across the board to basically all settings, including textures/shadows/geometry, added loading screens between areas that werent even on last gen, and game still constantly dips below 25fps, hard to find place where it actually holds stable 30, ofc thats all docked ;)

CGNoire

I just can't get on board with space marine 2, these hordes of wannabe xenomorphs must be the most dull enemies they could chose in the whole warhammer universe, even worse than fucking locusts from gears.

Mindlessly shooting to an horde and slashing in the middle of it for 10 to 20 hours with the same 4 finishers repeatee hundreds of times when the enemies flash red, i just can't see myself enjoying such a mindless and basic gameplay loop.

Graphic looks good for a AA, hardly more impressive than robocop.
Yep this was my fear aswell. The orks had so much more variety....this looks like a repetition fest and like you said a boring looking enemy to bute.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ah. Why does locking the camera behind character more aggressivly make it look cooler?....i would think the opposite?

Actually you're probably right. I was just comparing the fast option with the default setting. But off is probably best I will try later today.

SlimySnake

I can't think of a gaming moment that blew my mind as much as this trailer. It was only a couple years after San Andreas released and it was such a crazy jump in fidelity. It makes me miss the massive leaps taken between generations
Absolutely mind blowing. Great music choice too. I remember it like it was yesterday. A lot of the early games had disappointed. Sony hadn’t shown off kz2 gameplay yet. Mgs4 had some downgraded trailers like everything else early that Gen. Then this game came out and just set the bar straight away.

It was the mgs2 e3 2000 moment of that Gen. Id rank it up there with killzone shadow fall for last Gen and the matrix demo for this Gen.

P.s hilarious how rockstar trailers lack any kind of shimmering and dithering that is so present in their games. Gta5 trailers also had impeccable image quality completely unrepresentative of the final game.

SlimySnake

Here is a good compilation of all the leaked GTA6 footage.

Whats always bugged me about this isnt the graphics quality, you can always improve that, it was that nothing in gameplay was more advanced than GTA5 or RDR2. it is all just so mundane and boring.

Whats always bugged me about this isnt the graphics quality, you can always improve that, it was that nothing in gameplay was more advanced than GTA5 or RDR2. it is all just so mundane and boring.
I just disagree. I think it looks a lot smoother and less clunky, especially to GTA V. The animations are going to be what truly makes this game special. At 12:31, it shows you can go prone too. And if that is indeed real time, it would be one of the craziest animations I have ever seen.

It's a real life simulation tho, so it can't be like Cyberpunk with its deep combat system. I would kill if Rockstar ever made an open world sci-fi game. But I am positive the combat will feel like a night and day difference between playing GTA V

When I think of a next gen GTA I want nothing less then a crime simulator.

So you start out in a tiny cheap apartment somewhere in the outskirts of the city. Now you have to make money, because else the owner will kick you out. So, sure, you can get a job as a pizza delivery guy or Uber driver, but that won't make you much money. So when you get enough money (however you got that it's up to you), you can go to one of the street dealers. They can get you a cheap gun.
Now you can rob a store (any store), a diner or something else with low security. Be sure they don't recognize your face, so buy a mask or something first.

Slowly you get more money, more street cred and more people either hunting you or trying to hire you for jobs.
I'm just saying I want all of this stuff to be dynamic and not just 'go to the quest giver and do a scripted thing'. Maybe you piss some gang off and now you have to look over your shoulder the whole game. Maybe you walk the street and suddenly you get dragged into a van by some mobsters that want to have a word with you, etc. etc.

Basically everything they advertise in every GTA, but then real.

Audiophile

When I think of a next gen GTA I want nothing less then a crime simulator.

So you start out in a tiny cheap apartment somewhere in the outskirts of the city. Now you have to make money, because else the owner will kick you out. So, sure, you can get a job as a pizza delivery guy or Uber driver, but that won't make you much money. So when you get enough money (however you got that it's up to you), you can go to one of the street dealers. They can get you a cheap gun.
Now you can rob a store (any store), a diner or something else with low security. Be sure they don't recognize your face, so buy a mask or something first.

Slowly you get more money, more street cred and more people either hunting you or trying to hire you for jobs.
I'm just saying I want all of this stuff to be dynamic and not just 'go to the quest giver and do a scripted thing'. Maybe you piss some gang off and now you have to look over your shoulder the whole game. Maybe you walk the street and suddenly you get dragged into a van by some mobsters that want to have a word with you, etc. etc.

Basically everything they advertise in every GTA, but then real.
Yes, yes and yes.

That being said, doing an iconic story alongside it would be hard. But a spin-off called "GTA: Survivor".

You steal and kill to eat or you die. and if you really wanna do well you're running rackets bullying stores into giving you protection money. Soon enough you're running the ports and trafficking people in in shipping containers and your nickname is "The Greek"...., next up, you're selling kindeys on the black market. (too much maybe? lol.... :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Last edited:
I gotta say... I am not interested in SM2 game and I don't like how woke it is but you still make me want to pick it up.
You are really pumping SM2 up almost as much as GymWolf GymWolf is pushing warhammer in his every single post :messenger_open_mouth:
Buy it used. Insomniac and their agenda gets exactly $0 and 0 cents of your money, and you even save a little money

shamoomoo

I gotta say... I am not interested in SM2 game and I don't like how woke it is but you still make me want to pick it up.
You are really pumping SM2 up almost as much as GymWolf GymWolf is pushing warhammer in his every single post :messenger_open_mouth:
Lol? A superhero is supposed to be impartial so BLM and the LGBTQ representation shouldn't be an issue. A superhero who isn't focused on helping people who need it and villains becomes a problem.

Lol? A superhero is supposed to be impartial so BLM and the LGBTQ representation shouldn't be an issue. A superhero who isn't focused on helping people who need it and villains becomes a problem.
BLM leaders were funneling millions into personal use, iirc. While they initially had commentary saying they wanted to destroy the nuclear family and be procommunist. AKA destroy the black community. edit ( their push for defunding police and removing police presence has only resulted in more black lives being lost)As for lgbt, being prolgbt doesn't require butchering of the spanish language. This is because they've gone beyond simply supporting those of different orientations to the millions of fictional genders of the mentally deranged.

Last edited:

I'd not even base any opinion off such early footage. I imagine the systems at play is this footage are limited because they're unfinished or simply haven't even been introduced into the game yet. To underestimate Rockstar in any way is a mistake as they have proven time and time again.

shamoomoo

The way this is worded I can’t even tell if this poster is pro or anti wokeness in Spider-Man 2
Um? Being "woke" has been bastardized from its original meaning so I role my eyes when any person uses the word outside its original context or a joke. Basically, the bastardized version of woke means whatever you deem as "normal" or "right" and people living opposite of that as being problematics.

Also, it's oxymoronic to be a bigoted/racist superhero.

Um? Being "woke" has been bastardized from its original meaning so I role my eyes when any person uses the word outside its original context or a joke. Basically, the bastardized version of woke means whatever you deem as "normal" or "right" and people living opposite of that as being problematics.

Also, it's oxymoronic to be a bigoted/racist superhero.
Uhhh I always kind of saw it as a pretty basic catch all for “forced diversity and inclusion” with a side of “eye rolling virtue signaling” it always seemed simple to me. That’s at least it’s accepted colloquial usage, I know the word didn’t originate like that.

shamoomoo

BLM leaders were funneling millions into personal use, iirc. While they initially had commentary saying they wanted to destroy the nuclear family and be procommunist. AKA destroy the black community. edit ( their push for defunding police and removing police presence has only resulted in more black lives being lost)As for lgbt, being prolgbt doesn't require butchering of the spanish language. This is because they've gone beyond simply supporting those of different orientations to the millions of fictional genders of the mentally deranged.
I'm aware of that but a good concept or message doesn't have stop existing because of some fool's abuse and misuse of people's money and effort.

No. The well-being of Black folks was problematic before BLM.

People create languages so people can change how the see fit.

hlm666

Come in here to post a cheeky starcit video and my day is ruined by the space marine news FUCCCKKKKK. It's the emperors fault, im going to the warp to find a demon to worship.

Ok back on point, i hear streaming environments is the most impressive thing these days so this must be the most impressive thing to date right?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ok back on point, i hear streaming environments is the most impressive thing these days so this must be the most impressive thing to date right?

Yes, by far.

This is what the next gen difference is about - seamlessness. I want to feel as though things are going on at the other end of the map. Spider-Man 2 made a decent effort but this engine demo is out of this world 😉

This is what I had hoped and expected from Starfield.

Alex11

This is so true, since the release of SM2 I see this often as reference. But, it's gameplay, and besides, it doesn't work in every game, I wouldn't want that in a new Tomb Raider game.
I would rather have amazing physics and some pop in than "wow, look, I'm at the other end of the map in 2 sec", it's not the destination that matters more, but the journey.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Hairs look worse than fucking fifa and trees are whatever, sure as hell not better than forbidden west trees or many other trees like kingdom come trees (i took pics so i even zoomed on them to see the details)

I repeat myself, NOT A SINGLE FUCKING MOMENT.

Perfect example of how you don't understand the important connection between asset streaming and the graphical fidelity we talk about all the time in those thread. People like me aren't praising SM2 because traversal is fast, we are specifically praising assets maintaining a high quality as the player moves around the world at a high rate of speed. Something that HFW doesn’t do well at all, which makes SM2 more next gen in that perspective.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Perfect example of how you don't understand the important connection between asset streaming and the graphical fidelity we talk about all the time in those thread. People like me aren't praising SM2 because traversal is fast, we are specifically praising assets maintaining a high quality as the player moves around the world at a high rate of speed. Something that HFW doesn’t do well at all, which makes SM2 more next gen in that perspective.

I'm not sure about what you are saying.

Assets are not super high quality like you say, maybe you missed half the section trolling spidey because it look worse than fucking robocop asset wise, and when you fly super fast everything blur and you barely notice if there is pop in or not.

Maybe spidey 2 has less pop in but at the speed you go i barely noticed, in horizon is easier to notice because you fly pretty slow so the trees and shit loading is super noticeable.

And yeah, fast traversal is more gameplay related than it is graphic, let's be real, it's literally a new gameplay mechanic to fly that fast, if you are shit at controlling spidey you go flying into buildings, how is that not gameplay related?

I already praised the fast traversal multiple times, they had to nail that since it's a fundamental part of a spidey game, in horizon i barely use the fucking birds like majority of people because you get the, at the end of the vanilla game and you can't even fight or solve puzzles on the ground or explore indoors while you are on the bird, they are a MINIMAL part of horizon gameplay, even if you think otherwise, i gave you that the dlc was a bit more focused on the flying part but the majority of the game is still on foot, and you know that, different games, different priorities, decima is probably shit at handling pop in and high speed traversal but they had that cloud tech to show so they risked.

Spidey is a great looking game, but i'm already used to great looking games, i hope wolvy is gonna be mindblowing, the teaser trailer was promising.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is so true, since the release of SM2 I see this often as reference. But, it's gameplay, and besides, it doesn't work in every game, I wouldn't want that in a new Tomb Raider game.
I would rather have amazing physics and some pop in than "wow, look, I'm at the other end of the map in 2 sec", it's not the destination that matters more, but the journey.
Every game has different prioprities, nailing the fast traversal in spidey was paramount, and they nailed it.

It's the single most impressive feature of the game by a longslide (for me).

Happy Thanksgiving guys!! We need actual next gen visuals ASAP!
Again? We just had Alan Wake 2??

Seriously, if I was playing Alan Wake at release and someone would show me footage of 2 saying: this is what the sequel looks like 13 years from now…

I probably wouldn’t have believed it. There’s no way games can look that good.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm not sure about what you are saying.

Assets are not super high quality like you say, maybe you missed half the section trolling spidey because it look worse than fucking robocop asset wise, and when you fly super fast everything blur and you barely notice if there is pop in or not.

True, they're not super high poly, but I look at everything in totality. The RT reflections all over the place and the speed at which I am moving through the world with the decent levels of geometry impressed me.

Maybe spidey 2 has less pop in but at the speed you go i barely noticed, in horizon is easier to notice because you fly pretty slow so the trees and shit loading is super noticeable.

And yeah, fast traversal is more gameplay related than it is graphic, let's be real, it's literally a new gameplay mechanic to fly that fast, if you are shit at controlling spidey you go flying into buildings, how is that not gameplay related?

It wouldn't be an option if the engine and/or hardware couldn't handle it.

I already praised the fast traversal multiple times, they had to nail that since it's a fundamental part of a spidey game, in horizon i barely use the fucking birds like majority of people because you get the, at the end of the vanilla game and you can't even fight or solve puzzles on the ground or explore indoors while you are on the bird, they are a MINIMAL part of horizon gameplay, even if you think otherwise, i gave you that the dlc was a bit more focused on the flying part but the majority of the game is still on foot, and you know that, different games, different priorities, decima is probably shit at handling pop in and high speed traversal but they had that cloud tech to show so they risked.

This goes back to gameplay vs graphics/streaming capabilities in my reply above. It's only a small part because Decima engine apparently isn't capable YET. Horizon's world is beautiful and begging to be traversed at speeds closer to SM2 whether it's with a land or sky dinobot. I'll tell you right now if HFW/HBS had the same asset streaming capabilities as SM2, I'd have plugged in much more post credit hours and posting gifs from that game more than I am with SM2. Decima's post apocalyptical jungle world is much more appealing to me in terms of exploration.

TLDR: I love you, Gymwolf

couple hug GIF

Top Bottom