• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Spiderman in the MCU has been flying since the first movie. Tony Stark built him a suit.

spider-man-fly.gif

Exactly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Insomniac wasted precious time and energy adding RT in Spider-Man: Remastered and look what happened with Spider-Man 2. They didn't have enough time. Unfinished, ABYSMAL facial animation in cutscenes, motion capture that looked unfinished.. and generally unpolished and buggy as hell by Sony 1st Party standards.
Dude their lighting artists, facial animators and cutscene people in general had nothing to do with adding Ray tracing. that was all programmers and engineers. I think they only thing the artists were involved in for the remaster was the new Peter Parker face which didnt get any additional facial animations which is why it looked so off on the remaster.

I do think they stretched themselves too thin working on the Miles DLC which did require artists doing work, along with Ratchet, but the remaster itself is mostly engineers and QA people.

Spiderman 2 earns it's place next to Horizon, Ratchet and Demon's, I think.
The traversal is incredibly impressive, there's been a nice upgrade to lighting, and i can see some similarly high quality materials that were used for Ratchet. It obviously doesn't look as good as the reveal but it it's a step up over MM. It's not a "The Order/ Uncharted 4" situation I was looking for but it's more impressive than pretty much every game I played on '23 so gotta give it it's props.

SlimySnake

The traversal is incredibly impressive, there's been a nice upgrade to lighting, and i can see some similarly high quality materials that were used for Ratchet. It obviously doesn't look as good as the reveal but it it's a step up over MM. It's not a "The Order/ Uncharted 4" situation I was looking for but it's more impressive than pretty much every game I played on '23 so gotta give it it's props.
Yep.

It gets a lot of hate, but its got some stunning moments.

Those 3 games eat SM2 alive. Demon Souls is a launch title and takes a dump on SM2

CGNoire

Oh my fucking God..

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

And that's just your opinion, ND games always had their dedicated Multiplayer communities ever since the Beta of Uncharted 2. What you personally think of them couldn't possibily be any less important nor relevant to what I said when mentioning them.

No, but they also had to keep in my mind those mechanics were going to be used in such way, as common damn sense should suggest you.

The games we were talking about all came out long before those Remasters and Remake you're now mentioning, so again I'm not sure what the fuck makes you think this is somehow relevant..

Uncharted 4 shipped with competitive Multiplayer and TLOU Part II Multiplayer component was developed in parallel to the Single Player game:

As we can see from this 2020 leak. End of the fucking story.

Yeah and those posts you're talking about, often simply responding to frustrated idiots spewing nonsense, all referred to those.. so again I'm not sure whatever point you're trying to make.

Yes, because as that Thread should have made you understand there's nothing I hate more than artistic/technical downgrades when it comes to these "Remasters".
Spider-Man butched a literal million of little things here and there when it was quickly "Remastered", has a huge shadow pop-in in the city issues compared to the OG on PS4 where it's nowhere to be seen, features worse looking water, less realistic looking dusk setting, completely changed its protagonist model etc. and on top of that the OG game already was one of the most consistent and polished games of that generation.

I'm also luckily able to grasp the concept it's naive to expect a quick and cheap Remaster from a bunch of newbies:

To be able to drastically mess with every visual elements of a game like Part II and somehow not screw things everywhere.

You must be one of those preferring the Arkham Remasters to the originals on PC but thankfully I'm not. Give me the technical improvements you would see on a PC port and don't touch anything else unless you're 100% able to not compromise a single thing.
Which never happens.

Fucking hell.. whatever you say man.

Nonsense like saying this:

uncharted_raccoltalerydcsj.png

uncharted_raccoltaler73d11.png

Looks generations ahead of this?

F_U_ZogWQAAO6e0

Something the person I was talking to agreed with?

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

No, that's not what I think, and hopefully you're right.

If I misinterpreted what you where saying Im not convinced its my fault. When you say 70% of the game is in confined spaces like that with those pictures you posted it implys that your suggesting that in such confined spaces the models on average look like that. Which they dont.

I dont know how else to read that quote I posted of yours.

Last edited:

CGNoire

there's nothing I hate more than artistic/technical downgrades when it comes to these "Remasters".
Spider-Man butched a literal million of little things here and there when it was quickly "Remastered", has a huge shadow pop-in in the city issues compared to the OG on PS4 where it's nowhere to be seen, features worse looking water, less realistic looking dusk setting, completely changed its protagonist model etc. and on top of that the OG game already was one of the most consistent and polished games of that generation.

I'm also luckily able to grasp the concept it's naive to expect a quick and cheap Remaster from a bunch of newbies:

To be able to drastically mess with every visual elements of a game like Part II and somehow not screw things everywhere.

You must be one of those preferring the Arkham Remasters to the originals on PC but thankfully I'm not. Give me the technical improvements you would see on a PC port and don't touch anything else unless you're 100% able to not compromise a single thing.
This.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Those 3 games eat SM2 alive. Demon Souls is a launch title and takes a dump on SM2
I went back to play it last night. And nah, it does do some things better but it doesn’t shit on it or anything. Spider-Man 2 still has its strengths. The production values alone put it above Demon souls. Ds has better textures and tesselation, but spidey has better reflections, trees, character models and scale. Lighting is better in ds, but mostly because of way better GI. Spider-Man 2 has more striking lighting conditions though.

Ds has this cg look to it that only games like ratchet and Alan wake 2 seem to capture. Spider-Man doesn’t quite have that feeling outside of some cutscenes like ff16 does.

I went back to play it last night. And nah, it does do some things better but it doesn’t shit on it or anything. Spider-Man 2 still has its strengths. The production values alone put it above Demon souls. Ds has better textures and tesselation, but spidey has better reflections, trees, character models and scale. Lighting is better in ds, but mostly because of way better GI. Spider-Man 2 has more striking lighting conditions though.

Ds has this cg look to it that only games like ratchet and Alan wake 2 seem to capture. Spider-Man doesn’t quite have that feeling outside of some cutscenes like ff16 does.
I completely disagree and disavow everything you just said

sinnergy

Why is this topic smeared with a last gen game for the last pages? I thought this is a next generation graphics thread? Must be slow news weeks …

Why is this topic smeared with a last gen game for the last pages? I thought this is a next generation graphics thread? Must be slow news weeks …
Maybe you’ve been living under a rock but this gen has had the single most disappointing graphics and advancement innnn… video game history. So yeah unfortunately a 2020 game slightly remastered can trade blows with any current game on the market in some aspects

If we had matrix demo, UE5 ruins demo games on the market TLOU2 wouldn’t even be coming up at all

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I know LAD: IW won't win awards but you all who can max it at 4K should go take some nice 4K screens (best with the beautiful character close ups, I think the city looks great in gameplay as you explore but stuff in the distance can get fuzzy and such and screens aren't great). Same for Lost Judgment and Gaiden of course, all the latest stuff from Like a Dragon studio which are roughly on par with each other (and so very crossgen but whatever, they're stylish as fuck and have moments of sheer beauty and the characters usually look so damn good too). This is medium-ish 1440p.
Screenshot_208.png

Last edited:

GooseMan69

It's not just animations but visual feedback to me.

I wouldn't say ND games animations are better than say Rockstar's RDR2 for instance, at all, but they feel a million times more responsive/player driven and that makes all the difference in making you feel you're really into that world.
This is the reason I preferred Spyro to Crash in those days, but ever since the first Jak that's been one of the most important factors for Naughty Dog.

H9arRiP.gif

You feel in complete control of your characters little movements analog stick in hand, whereas Spider-Man or Ryse are QTE-like in this sense.

Of course the fact games like Uncharted and TLOU also have to work perfectly as competitive multiplayer titles plays a huge role in this, but I'm sure this level of motion blending on the fly doesn't come for free in terms of resources.

Again, personal preferences, but knowing how this feels to control while looking as seamless as it does, makes it better than the rest.

Thank you for summarizing why ND games are so good. You did it better than I ever could. TLOU II is a dream game for me as far as visuals, audio, and animation. I would pass out if you showed it to me when I was a kid. It’s what I dreamt video games would look and feel like one day. Total fanboy drivel I know but what an achievement. That game and RDR2 made me feel like my 12 year old self playing Gears of War for the first time. Haven’t gotten that feeling yet this gen. Not really.

sinnergy

Maybe you’ve been living under a rock but this gen has had the single most disappointing graphics and advancement innnn… video game history. So yeah unfortunately a 2020 game slightly remastered can trade blows with any current game on the market in some aspects

If we had matrix demo, UE5 ruins demo games on the market TLOU2 wouldn’t even be coming up at all
But that last gen game can clearly not … so I don’t know what you guys are seeing … but from a graphical point of view , it is dated.

Even taken into account , terrible running UE5 games , they look miles ahead in graphics .. what this topic is about ! Not? Graphical fidelity.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
But that last gen game can clearly not … so I don’t know what you guys are seeing … but from a graphical point of view , it is dated.

Even taken into account , terrible running UE5 games , they look miles ahead in graphics .. what this topic is about ! Not? Graphical fidelity.
Well, this is basically a Playstation thread, so don't expect a high ratio of relevancy.

Vick

If I misinterpreted what you where saying Im not convinced its my fault. When you say 70% of the game is in confined spaces like that with those pictures you posted it implys that your suggesting that in such confined spaces the models on average look like that. Which they dont.

I dont know how else to read that quote I posted of yours.
Okay, last time so we can finally move on from this and don't bother people triggered by PlayStation talk. If someone posts this:

F_WRgl7XcAAUL9s

Which is a close shot of a character in an extremely confined space half in darkness half lit by a close light source, next to a far away daylight shot from the single most open level of Uncharted 4, one of the only three open levels where you drive a vehicle to explore (arguably even less than 30% of the game) which are very obviously orders of magnitude more taxing than the first example, instead of a shot took in similar circumstances to Callisto, like these would be:

uncharted_raccoltalerydcsj.png

uncharted_raccoltaler73d11.png

Resulted in the post you quoted.
Meaning that in those similar gameplay circumstances Naughty Dog already delivered something generations ahead of the open level Uncharted example posted, and obviusly closer to the first Callisto shot despite it being seven damn years older and on a previous generation machine, and featuring models built from scratch instead of a scanned real human.
Were the hardware used more performant/the ND Engine different/ND priorities for those taxing open levels different, we would have got similar looking models all the time independent of how taxing the rest is.

I’ve not played any spider man game. I have the remaster and mm but maybe I should get ps4 original Vick Vick ?
I would say no simply because you'd grow attached to a main character that all of a sudden no longer exists in the games after, where it's replaced by a completely different discount Tom Holland instead.
For the rest, the OG looks much more pleasing to me in just about every way (think the Uncharted 4 little issues but X1000 in the whole game including DLCs), and it's also free from the LOD issues present in every version of the game released after. Look at the building on the left for instance, the shadows simply never disappears in the OG no matter how far you go:

CmAxMkR.gif

Naturally, just like with Uncharted 4, nobody apparently noticed this. Also forget this water in the Remaster:

AYjrzzW.png

orAf8wC.png

ggu9rqF.png

Some other shots from the OG on Pro:
mADPNAU.png

62FACwL.png

cZQNwkR.png

WUgf5Qp.png

PgdIo5B.png

J8OImO0.png

F02yNEX.png

az2yFA6.png

It's just an extremely consistent and polished game, one of the most consistent looking exclusives from last gen. Many would prefer having RT plus of course 60fps however so it's up to you.

SlimySnake

IMO the most visually stunning open world ever made and among best RT reflections application on any platform.

TOGGLE TO 4K!!!

Your colors are a lot more vibrant than mine. whats your contrast at?

I dont know if its the most visually stunning world, but its definitely up there. i think cyberpunk and horizon still top the list though avatar should take HFW's place next month.

I think building quality and night time rendering is just so far ahead of Spiderman 2 that all the other things spiderman 2 does right cant make up for it. Its a shame insomniac phoned in the night time lighting. They upgraded day time, dusk time, and even cloudy lighting conditions, but night time just looks last gen as fuck.

other than that, in other lighting conditions, its a stunner for sure.

F90Pl20W0AA6RUt

SlimySnake

Okay, last time so we can finally move on from this and don't bother people triggered by PlayStation talk. If someone posts this:

F_WRgl7XcAAUL9s

Which is a close shot of a character in an extremely confined space half in darkness half lit by a close light source, next to a far away daylight shot from the single most open level of Uncharted 4, one of the only three open levels where you drive a vehicle to explore (arguably even less than 30% of the game) which are very obviously orders of magnitude more taxing than the first example, instead of a shot took in similar circumstances to Callisto, like these would be:
First of all, I specifically said that I went in and took pictures of whatever level that was loaded in my system and simply turned the camera around. I did this for HFW, callisto, GOW and uncharted 4. I then used an older screenshot from TLOU2 because i knew the FOV in TLOU2 is far closer than Uncharted 4 and more in line in Callisto and GOW. The uncharted comparison was with HFW which is open world and a similar FOV. The callisto comparison was for the Abby pic. I even said that the Callisto model looked better before the haircut.

But just for you, I went in and took more screenshots. I simply loaded up several chapters and took screenshots by turning the camera around right at the start of the chapter. Then loaded up my HFW save and did the same. simply turned the camera around. Similar fov. A generational difference.

Besides, the whole point of this whole discussion is that ND games, both uncharted and tlou, are using aggressive LODs during normal gameplay. This defeats the purpose of having realtime cutscenes with insanely detailed character models. It is especially deceptive when they revealed the first PS4 trailer saying it was realtime. The expectation was that the detailed Drake face was what we would get during gameplay then the game comes out and you need to go next to a wall, and find a lamp, to get close to the cutscene character model quality. Other games like Callisto, GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, and even Demon Souls and Spiderman dont have this kind of aggressive LODs. That last screenshot of the cutscene is from the same chapter 17. As soon as the cutscene ended, the character model turned into a ubisoft game.

F_d_nfnWkAAjiB3
F_eAc5_W4AAeY6C

F_d_nfnXAAEY8Zs

F_d_nfnWEAAfCyv

F_eAc5PWYAAQUpK

GymWolf

Gold Member
I completely disagree and disavow everything you just said
I was not impressed once while playing that fucking game except for the fast traversal.

I'm not even exagerating for shock effect, nothing in the graphic of this game had me in awe for a single moment.

Tough shit that the light system seems to be the biggest upgrade and i could not care less about that.

Especially after ratchet that was in the discussion for the best looking game (and still is) and spidey 2018, the expectations were skyhigh (before the reveal where they crushed any residual hope).

Last edited:
I was not impressed once while playing that fucking game except for the fast traversal.

I'm not even exagerating for shock effect, nothing in the graphic of this game had me in awe for a single moment.

Tough shit that the light system seems to be the biggest upgrade and i could not care less about that.

Especially after ratchet that was in the discussion for the best looking game (and still is) and spidey 2018, the expectations were skyhigh (before the reveal where they crushed any residual hope).
Right there with ya brotha. Demon Souls looks a Gen ahead at times

I'm not sure if it looks a gen ahead, but it looked at least adeguate for a game made by bluepoint almost 3 years ago.
Compare say the flamelurker boss arena or any of the interior smelting parts of world 2 to say the Spider-Man and Agent Venom mission where they go save a certain reformed villain and they go through smelting chambers as well

To me DS makes it look like a joke

GymWolf

Gold Member
jesus look at that aunt may dress in the remaster, insomniac are the best at making fluffy materials, nobody come close to that.

Incredible how some of the same materials look worse in spidey 2.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
jesus look at that aunt may dress in the remaster, insomniac are the best at making fluffy materials, nobody come close to that.

Incredible how some of the same materials look worse in spidey 2.
In SM2 they have the same materials even better but its used in only few places
lxG9AAl.jpg

xeZ0AoA.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
In SM2 they have the same materials even better but its used in only few places
lxG9AAl.jpg

xeZ0AoA.jpg
I don't think that they are the same material.

Puppets and costumes are not made of the same materials as pullovers and sweaters.

This is another one from morales, look at the scarf (may's robe is still the pinnacle tho)

gZ1LKQl.jpg

Try to find an high quality pic of jawline yellow pullovers that seh wear in the second half of the game, some of the most fine details are gone, i only have low res pics

hq720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Turk1993

I don't think that they are the same material.

Puppets and costumes are not made of the same materials as pullovers and sweaters.

This is another one from morales, look at the scarf (may's robe is still the pinnacle tho)

gZ1LKQl.jpg

Try to find an high quality pic of jawline yellow pullovers that seh wear in the second half of the game, some of the most fine details are gone, i only have low res pics

hq720.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
You're right, its there but its not as good as MM.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024232744.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024234724.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're right, its there but its not as good as MM.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024232744.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024234724.png
Dude the fluff effect it's not there or barely there, look how flat and "plasticky" it look compared to the photorealistic look of May's robe.

Second pic looks particularly bad.

For lack of better words it looks like something composite as opposed to something that your grandma made for you as a gift for christmas :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Turk1993

Dude the fluff effect it's not there or barely there, look how flat and "plasticky" it look compared to the photorealistic look of May's robe.

Second pic looks particularly bad.

For lack of better words it looks like something composite as opposed to something that your grandma made for you as a gift for christmas :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Peters Jacket has some nice fluff, but other than that i agree with you. The clothes have been downgraded compared to MM which was really impressive.
37gNz2E.jpg

Vick

First of all, I specifically said that I went in and took pictures of whatever level that was loaded in my system and simply turned the camera around. I did this for HFW, callisto, GOW and uncharted 4. I then used an older screenshot from TLOU2 because i knew the FOV in TLOU2 is far closer than Uncharted 4 and more in line in Callisto and GOW. The uncharted comparison was with HFW which is open world and a similar FOV. The callisto comparison was for the Abby pic. I even said that the Callisto model looked better before the haircut.

But just for you, I went in and took more screenshots. I simply loaded up several chapters and took screenshots by turning the camera around right at the start of the chapter. Then loaded up my HFW save and did the same. simply turned the camera around. Similar fov. A generational difference.

Besides, the whole point of this whole discussion is that ND games, both uncharted and tlou, are using aggressive LODs during normal gameplay. This defeats the purpose of having realtime cutscenes with insanely detailed character models. It is especially deceptive when they revealed the first PS4 trailer saying it was realtime. The expectation was that the detailed Drake face was what we would get during gameplay then the game comes out and you need to go next to a wall, and find a lamp, to get close to the cutscene character model quality. Other games like Callisto, GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, and even Demon Souls and Spiderman dont have this kind of aggressive LODs. That last screenshot of the cutscene is from the same chapter 17. As soon as the cutscene ended, the character model turned into a ubisoft game.

F_d_nfnWkAAjiB3
F_eAc5_W4AAeY6C

F_d_nfnXAAEY8Zs

F_d_nfnWEAAfCyv

F_eAc5PWYAAQUpK

And back to this post:

Well two are Decima games, and one with character models never looking as good as ND cutscenes.
All three with severe/noticeable downgrades/inconsistencies compared to ND titles, Decima (which you know better than me being a whole decade newer than the ND Engine) in the lighting department, with complete lack of dynamic GI, lack of capsule AO etc., and GoW in animations, AI, vegetation and again lighting.
Nothing is free on Consoles.

If you think those games could have had better gameplay models and ND simply decided for no reason to downgrade aspects of them compared to the real-time cutscenes they made, not sure what kind of discussion we can have here.

On a next-gen title I would much rather have full Nanite-like geometry and inclusion of those wonderful secondary shadows from bounce light seen on Lumen GI to say one, than better looking models only seen by accessing Photo-Mode and zooming in.
But that's just me.

This whole neverending discussion:

closed-loop-marketing.png

Lol imagine downplaying Spiderman remaster because of a face swap but been totally fine with a remaster with the least upgrades.
Imagine being so challenged you consistently fail to understand every single concept presented, even if repeated multiple times, for three pages in a row..

You can post hundreds of pictures of improvements, just like you could post billions for the Arkham Asylum and City Remasters where they look a generation ahead, it won't change a single thing because:

Yes, because as that Thread should have made you understand there's nothing I hate more than artistic/technical downgrades when it comes to these "Remasters".

Which never happens.

And whether your tasteless ass registered them or not, there's countless of them in every Spider-Man version released after the original.

From issues like huge shadows appearing out of nowhere:

CmAxMkR.gif

To poligonally inferior assets:

NXrWpKq.png

5kWDeq0.png

Reduced distance for trees occlusion:

DAHpkjy.png

Inferior looking assets like the balloons in this example:

TDkefFu.png

Inferior character details like eyelashes in this example:

xO5pCzI.png

Missing shadows like in this example (this particular egregious one was fixed, literal countless others weren't):

nTeYYYz.png

Inferior looking water:

BfjjDEv.png

And literal thousands of instances where I simply prefer the original cinematography:

2DiPPqV.png

And these are just examples I had to quickly find on YT because after finishing both versions + DLCs (and the DLCs in particular are the most impacted ones) I found so many "issues" with the Remaster I could fill five Threads like this:

Lastly, as clearly but vainly explained to you multiple times before, reason why at the moment I'm fine the Part II Remaster is because there's less chance to screw things up with a conservative approach.

Now feel free to even insult me personally, my wife and daughter, I won't dignify you with a response anymore because of the amount of time you made me waste in this Thread.

SlimySnake

Lol imagine downplaying Spiderman remaster because of a face swap but been totally fine with a remaster with the least upgrades.

22.jpg

11.jpg

21.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

20.jpg
did you swap the comparison picks on purpose to fuck with us? Sometimes PS4 is on the left, sometimes its on the right. My mind was working overtime.

Insomniac definitely doesnt get a lot of credit for how productive they have been and how much they have done with their hair rendering, ray tracing and ssd stuff. Sure, they have taken shortcuts and Im all for criticizing them on that, but NO sony studio has even come close to exploiting the io, ray tracing, and GPU like insomniac has in their FOUR fucking titles this gen.

GG did clouds and a horus fight that was last gen as fuck. yay? Couldnt figure out the fucking pop-in issue. Couldnt implement ray tracing in any form. Same traversal speeds. Did great work with hero lighting and adding additional foliage but thats about it.

ND somehow managed to make a worse looking TLOU1 remake. TLOU2 on PS4 looks better. Again, no ray tracing. No higher fidelity character model. Same hair tech. Same asset quality.

SSM didnt even try so lets not even mention them.

Bluepoint. Great visual upgrade, but took out ray traced shadows at the very end. Cut above the rest, but still, Insomniac just did more with the PS5 hardware. Way higher NPC density in the remaster, and drastically more varied NPCs in the sequel. Massive increase in traffic in the sequel. Massive upgrades to ray traced reflections. incredible hair tech. Huge changes to the lighting model. Meanwhile ND after three years is doing a basic fucking remaster. BP did a remake and then went MIA while Insomniac did Ratchet AND Spiderman 2 in the same time period.

Turk1993

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

And back to this post:

This whole neverending discussion:

closed-loop-marketing.png

Imagine being so challenged you consistently fail to understand every single concept presented, even if repeated multiple times, for three pages in a row..

You can post hundreds of pictures of improvements, just like you could post billions for the Arkham Asylum and City Remasters where they look a generation ahead, it won't change a single thing because:

And whether your tasteless ass registered them or not, there's countless of them in every Spider-Man version released after the original.

From issues like huge shadows appearing out of nowhere:

CmAxMkR.gif

To poligonally inferior assets:

NXrWpKq.png

5kWDeq0.png

Reduced distance for trees occlusion:

DAHpkjy.png

Inferior looking assets like the balloons in this example:

TDkefFu.png

Inferior character details like eyelashes in this example:

xO5pCzI.png

Missing shadows like in this example (this particular egregious one was fixed, literal countless others weren't):

nTeYYYz.png

Inferior looking water:

BfjjDEv.png

And literal thousands of instances where I simply prefer the original cinematography:

2DiPPqV.png

And these are just examples I had to quickly find on YT because after finishing both versions + DLCs (and the DLCs in particular are the most impacted ones) I found so many "issues" with the Remaster I could fill five Threads like this:

Lastly, as clearly but vainly explained to you multiple times before, reason why at the moment I'm fine the Part II Remaster is because there's less chance to screw things up with a conservative approach.

Now feel free to even insult me personally, my wife and daughter, I won't dignify you with a response anymore because of the amount of time you made me waste in this Thread.

If you actually don't cut out pieces that fit your agenda you will notice the big upgrade.

You are looking at the fucking baloons but ignore the whole lighting, reflection, shadows and asset improvements in this scene
slFONym.jpg

This one is even worse since you think the old one with a flat texture eye lash looks better than hairstrands and the shitty eyes flat eyes. And also very nice from you to cut out the eyebrows
x4rnRBK.jpg

Same with this one her face, eyes, hair, lighting and jacket look much much better in the remaster.
2DiPPqV.png

And this one is even funnier and shows that you are cherrypicking and trying soo hard
DAHpkjy.png

dLUkf8p.jpg

Here is what your source said about that
GLZpNkV.jpg

yt24PgS.jpg

giphy.gif

Turk1993

did you swap the comparison picks on purpose to fuck with us? Sometimes PS4 is on the left, sometimes its on the right. My mind was working overtime.
Nah man they are from different youtubers sorry :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Insomniac definitely doesnt get a lot of credit for how productive they have been and how much they have done with their hair rendering, ray tracing and ssd stuff. Sure, they have taken shortcuts and Im all for criticizing them on that, but NO sony studio has even come close to exploiting the io, ray tracing, and GPU like insomniac has in their FOUR fucking titles this gen.
Yeah, even tho i have criticised them for SM2. They have produced some excellent looking games and there remaster was far better than any other studio.

GG did clouds and a horus fight that was last gen as fuck. yay? Couldnt figure out the fucking pop-in issue. Couldnt implement ray tracing in any form. Same traversal speeds. Did great work with hero lighting and adding additional foliage but thats about it.

ND somehow managed to make a worse looking TLOU1 remake. TLOU2 on PS4 looks better. Again, no ray tracing. No higher fidelity character model. Same hair tech. Same asset quality.

SSM didnt even try so lets not even mention them.

Bluepoint. Great visual upgrade, but took out ray traced shadows at the very end. Cut above the rest, but still, Insomniac just did more with the PS5 hardware. Way higher NPC density in the remaster, and drastically more varied NPCs in the sequel. Massive increase in traffic in the sequel. Massive upgrades to ray traced reflections. incredible hair tech. Huge changes to the lighting model. Meanwhile ND after three years is doing a basic fucking remaster. BP did a remake and then went MIA while Insomniac did Ratchet AND Spiderman 2 in the same time period.
Exactly, they have made some "amazing" PS5 tech and showcased it better than most of those studios. And this all made me disappointed with SM2 graphics since i epxected much more from them after those early games they produced.

Vick

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

If you actually don't cut out pieces that fit your agenda you will notice the big upgrade.

You are looking at the fucking baloons but ignore the whole lighting, reflection, shadows and asset improvements in this scene
slFONym.jpg

This one is even worse since you think the old one with a flat texture eye lash looks better than hairstrands and the shitty eyes flat eyes. And also very nice from you to cut out the eyebrows
x4rnRBK.jpg

Same with this one her face, eyes, hair, lighting and jacket look much much better in the remaster.
2DiPPqV.png

And this one is even funnier and shows that you are cherrypicking and trying soo hard
DAHpkjy.png

dLUkf8p.jpg

Here is what your source said about that
GLZpNkV.jpg

yt24PgS.jpg

giphy.gif
Dude..

First of all and just to be clear, my last post reads much more hostile and aggressive than it actually was; I ain't really mad at you.
Plus I know I could never resist responding so that last line was a shameless and blatant bluff.

I cut the pictures simply to hide those ugly YouTube stamp writings. And clearly stated that particular missing shadow screenshot was fixed and was only posted as an example. Now feel free to not believe there's missing shadows in the final game, or that I'm "trying too hard" for whatever reason to prefer a 30fps old gen version of a game. Couldn't care any less, and ignorance is bliss, so feel lucky and enjoy.

Finally, YES, there's obviously a million improvements in the Remaster and it truly must have been a real fucking nightmare for Insomniac to redo the entire game in such a short time.
Can't actually think of a more impressive endeavour than that one, while working with RT to an impressive extent for a Console title.

It's just that I'm too OCD when it comes to these things. I grew up with million different versions of Resident Evil 4 and all the missing things from the OG GameCube version.
Same thing happened years later with the BluePoint Remasters of the Uncharted PS3 Trilogy, then the Arkham Remasters compared to the PC Nvidia versions, then the Alan Wake Remaster, and many, many more instances in between.

As said before:

Give me the technical improvements you would see on a PC port and don't touch anything else unless you're 100% able to not compromise a single thing.

But I can obviously and totally get those preferring something like the Spider-Man or Arkham Remasters, as the improvements for sure outweight the "downgrades". It's a matter of personal taste.

Top Bottom