• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Makers Tease Photorealistic PS5 and Xbox Scarlett Graphics.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to CNBC, Take-Two's Strauss Zelnick -- the CEO in charge of Take-Two and its subsidiaries 2K and Rockstar Games -- noted that the two systems may push video game graphics into the photorealistic realm, a realm the PS4 and Xbox One have inched pretty close to recently.

"We have a new console generation coming, and that's going to allow us to do some things that we haven't been able to do before creatively, and that's exciting," said Zelnick while speaking to CNBC's Jim Cramer. "But as I've said before, we are going to reach a point where you won't be able to tell the difference between what's created in the computer and what's real."

Zelnick continued, noting that the aim of next console generation won't be photorealistic graphics across the board. For example, it has plenty of series that opt for the stylized route like Borderlands and BioShock. However, it also has series like NBA 2K, Grand Theft Auto, and Red Dead Redemption, which do trek in realism, and which could "truly look live-action" via the power of the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
If we can achieve Quantum Break and The Order: 1886 on Xbox One and PS4, the next systems will have to be proper killer, man. Wonder just how live action these might look. I remember Driveclub totally blew my mind at times, hope it can be blown again.

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

👀

joe_zazen

And sadly their new GTA game, with photo realistic graphics potential, will have physics that are LESS realistic and LESS enjoyable than GTA IV on the PS3.

As was the case in GTA V on PS4.

gtaV’s physics was such a massive disappointment. Although entirely predictable given how they changed driving in IV’s biker dlc.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Companies have been saying this for years and years. It's just marketing buzzwords to get people interested in a new console generation. At one point, this was considered indistinguishable from reality.
22068-nba-2k-screenshot.jpg
Yep. These kind of statements are par for the course at the start of every generation. They were even saying this for Nintendo’s “Project Reality” (Nintendo 64).

brap

Banned
Companies have been saying this for years and years. It's just marketing buzzwords to get people interested in a new console generation. At one point, this was considered indistinguishable from reality.
22068-nba-2k-screenshot.jpg
That's real life isn't it?

Myths

Where the pics?

If it won’t surpass NVR, then I’m not worried about it much... we can do this already with mods so expectations are big:

Last edited:
GTA V is a stonecold masterpiece.

GTA VI will be the best of both worlds in terms of GTA V's innovative attention to detail, GTA IV's innovative physics engine, and GTA SA's sheer fun factor.

Yes, GTAV is amazing, not sure why it gets some hate.

I do believe we are very close to finally achieving photo realism in graphics, I honestly do expect that next gen.

mortal

Gold Member
That's what's up!

During my time with RDR2, there were moments when the game felt eerily real, like a low resolution simulation of reality (made even more apparent while playing the game stoned lol)

I hope the next GTA open world is fucking DENSE. I would love to be able to both affect and interact and with as many unique assets in the environment as possible,
AI and animation needs to be a cut above in order to better immerse the player in a more realistic virtual environment. The AI featured in RDR2's stranger system has me genuinely excited to see how they extrapolate it for next-gen.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The AI featured in RDR2's stranger system has me genuinely excited to see how they extrapolate it for next-gen.

Days Gone massively improved on that system by including thousands of random encounters which made going out of camp always filled with unexpected events occurring.

The random events even clash with each other so you could often stumble upon random shootouts.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Days Gone massively improved on that system by including thousands of random encounters which made going out of camp always filled with unexpected events occurring.

The random events even clash with each other so you could often stumble upon random shootouts.
Interesting, I wasn't aware. Days Gone seems to have many great aspects despite its flaws.

Yeah, no. Devs have been saying this for the past 20 years whenever there was new hardware on the horizon.
It has been truer and truer pretty much every generation so far (and PC hardware iterations).

Obviously if you just take digitized still and moving picture that has been true for a long long time, but a 3D approximation with all the possible data in the world will never be perfectly "photo realistic", as some data will always be either missing or wrong in some way.... but we are definitely going to get closer than I was expecting this time around.

Life

The fact that these devs (and others like them) are obligated to make their new games for consoles, be it PS5, PS6 etc, shackles their ability to truly develop something that is worthy of being called "next-gen." It baffles me that the console specs for the upcoming Xbox and Playstation are already in the market today, and a thing of the past. And yet, we are supposed to be excited as gamers?

FireFly

The fact that these devs (and others like them) are obligated to make their new games for consoles, be it PS5, PS6 etc, shackles their ability to truly develop something that is worthy of being called "next-gen." It baffles me that the console specs for the upcoming Xbox and Playstation are already in the market today, and a thing of the past. And yet, we are supposed to be excited as gamers?
Games will always target "old" hardware, because that's what the majority of the install base consists off. But having 2070 level performance be the base level, is still a big deal IMO.

bitbydeath

The GPU doesn’t release until next year FYI.

I remember back in 1992 how the 3DO was said [by the gaming press] to be delivering photorealistic graphics.

Before that, Nintendo was said to have been working on "Project Reality" that was said [by the gaming press] to deliver an experience almost indistinguishable from the real world.

Even today we're not there yet. In places, Detroit: Become Human looked very real, though.

MadAnon

Photorealistic and indistinguishable from reality. Yeah, I heard that one before. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Besides, did he actually refer to next gen or it's just out of context statement refereing to future in general, meaning that eventually the games will reach that kind of realism and the next gen is another step in that direction?

I think this one genuinely freaks me out at some moments. Beginning and the ending to be more specific. Not a single game or demo has given even close to such vibes. Actually, Driverclub during rain was pretty spooky too.

Last edited:

Skyr

Ye I've heard that before. Like every prior console generation. I just got numb to those kind of buzzwords.

Ye I've heard that before. Like every prior console generation. I just got numb to those kind of buzzwords.

I mean, nothing surprising imho
We have some impressive and almost photorealistic games today, just imagine with more power

Spiderman, Forza, Driveclub, Gow? Even Mortal Kombat XI amazed me for how awesome they are

And I shit my pants only trying to imagine what R* could ( only, and visually only, I clarify) do with a GTA 6
Gta V was from another dimension at his release, It was incredible

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And sadly their new GTA game, with photo realistic graphics potential, will have physics that are LESS realistic and LESS enjoyable than GTA IV on the PS3.

As was the case in GTA V on PS4.

That came down to the CPU, having a Zen 2 should have far greater physics than what you saw on the Cell in the PS3.

Top Bottom