• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Makers Tease Photorealistic PS5 and Xbox Scarlett Graphics.

Lol we pretty much already know what the games are going to look like - high end PC games of today. We don’t need bullshitting with Toy Story promises and all the rest.

A couple of years after release they will be decidedly mid range at best.

raiders81tim

Neo Member
Companies have been saying this for years and years. It's just marketing buzzwords to get people interested in a new console generation. At one point, this was considered indistinguishable from reality.
22068-nba-2k-screenshot.jpg
A step up from this would look pretty damn good. Just saying

D-102SHUEAIPrgD.jpg:large

Companies have been saying this for years and years. It's just marketing buzzwords to get people interested in a new console generation. At one point, this was considered indistinguishable from reality.
Granted, if you put it on a low quality small analogue TV, it might look real.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Remember when Rockstar showed how it looked on PS3 and Xbox 360, and how it really looked when released?

Myths

That looks amazing but my god it's pulling some low N64 style frame rates.
Yeah I know. If I OC’d I could get a steady 30+, but tbh “cinematic” 😏. I’m also applying 4X MSAA which may not be necessary either.

Last edited:
Both consoles will be outdated in one year.
This is technology, however it's not changing as much as it used to. Look at every other generation, by the end games could barely be compared to what was coming next (atari 2600 to NES to SNES to PS1 then onto the Dreamcast/ps2/Xbox and gcn, etc) the jump was so big that your mind was assured to be blown away the day you saw a next gen game, especially if you didn't see what was offered on Computers at around the same time.

GamingKaiju

Where the pics?

If it won’t surpass NVR, then I’m not worried about it much... we can do this already with mods so expectations are big:

Look's impressive but it chugs along. I hope R* try to push for a higher frame rate in VI. I'm actually going through GTA5 on my PC atm the last time I played was at the tail end of last gen and the poor FPS completely killed it for me. Replaying on PC with a constant 60 is night and day. If R* can hit those type of graphics whilst maintaining a good FPS we'll be in for a treat.

The fact that these devs (and others like them) are obligated to make their new games for consoles, be it PS5, PS6 etc, shackles their ability to truly develop something that is worthy of being called "next-gen." It baffles me that the console specs for the upcoming Xbox and Playstation are already in the market today, and a thing of the past. And yet, we are supposed to be excited as gamers?
And yet in 2 years from now a new GPU card is out that is better than the one you have, with better graphics and better effects and so on the card you have.
So that mean that your PC in 2 years also outdated??

Last edited:

nowhat

Photorealistic graphics (or more realistic, rather) - sure, it's possible, likely even.

I'm willing to bet the gunplay will still be shit though.

Myths

Look's impressive but it chugs along. I hope R* try to push for a higher frame rate in VI. I'm actually going through GTA5 on my PC atm the last time I played was at the tail end of last gen and the poor FPS completely killed it for me. Replaying on PC with a constant 60 is night and day. If R* can hit those type of graphics whilst maintaining a good FPS we'll be in for a treat.
You can get a better frame rate easily. I think I might have been running x8 above, I can’t remember. In another video I have, I would say the 5-8 more FPS makes it solid by cutting the AA in half:

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

I know right? we haven't seen any improvements beyond this yet.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
And sadly their new GTA game, with photo realistic graphics potential, will have physics that are LESS realistic and LESS enjoyable than GTA IV on the PS3.

As was the case in GTA V on PS4.
Bit OT here ... but relevant imo. .. It might just be my placebo-perceptatron in action, but this seems to be the case with the new PES... or esports PES as it's now called.

It looks like they've done a graphics overhaul this year, and while some aspects look truly awesome other parts (like the forearms) look pared back to enable the 4k res they're pushing. The player models look like they've all got both their arms in plaster-cast.. lol

LIke I say, it might be just me, but the models seem to have a reduced polygon count this year in order to allow more processing elsewhere for the game. Next-gen will not have such sacrifices hopefully

GamingKaiju

You can get a better frame rate easily. I think I might have been running x8 above, I can’t remember. In another video I have, I would say the 5-8 more FPS makes it solid by cutting the AA in half:

It definitely would help. I always lower the AA on my games I think 4x is the sweet spot for me between graphics vs fps. After dusting off my PC and installing a 1070 the extra frame rates have absolutely killed console gaming for me. I was rocking a 7950 before it failed (surprise, surprise) so the jump to 1070 has made a massive impression.

Last edited:
But having 2070 level performance be the base level, is still a big deal IMO.
I wonder if we will have APUs that support some variation of HBM2e (whatever number) so that their GPU has enough memory bandwidth to make it worth it to even try to provide really nice graphics with the integrated GPU... I have been waiting forever for something like this to happen 😭

Shifty

Realistic art style + latest graphics technology = photorealistic (until we look back a few years hence and be like 'oh')

At least the cars don't handle like in Outrun.

(no offence to Outrun, but that was 1986)
I'd snap up an open-world game with Outrun physics in an instant. Give me unrealistic super drifts!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

That girl needs more hips and ass

Life

And yet in 2 years from now a new GPU card is out that is better than the one you have, with better graphics and better effects and so on the card you have.
So that mean that your PC in 2 years also outdated??

In 2 years, GFX cards don't make a huge jump. But even if they do, you can choose whether to upgrade or not. You can choose your graphics settings, so even if you don't uprade, your game can still run smoothly. Developers don't have to stick to the same limits that were set 5 years back. They can continue to improve their new games - without worrying about such limits because gamers have full control over visuals. It would encourage consistent innovation and development cycles would be shorter, cheaper and easier.

Von Hugh

RDR2 on One X already looked pretty damn nice even while having a resource hog called 4K and having a CPU equivalent of a year 2009 CPU. I don't doubt their claims.

But they better up the gameplay, RDR2 handled like ass.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Headline doesn’t match the quote.

He doesn’t say the next gen is photorealistic. He says one day we will reach photorealism.

Can no one read??

Blame the article writer.

And it does say this...

Zelnick continued, noting that the aim of next console generation won't be photorealistic graphics across the board. For example, it has plenty of series that opt for the stylized route like Borderlands and BioShock. However, it also has series like NBA 2K, Grand Theft Auto, and Red Dead Redemption, which do trek in realism, and which could "truly look live-action" via the power of the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.

Last edited:

Skyr

Where the pics?

If it won’t surpass NVR, then I’m not worried about it much... we can do this already with mods so expectations are big:

Most of the GTA graphic mod videos look terrible and oversaturated, but I actually like this. Nice!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh shush, don't be so negative.

If RDR2 is anything to go by, you're going to get a blurry CB implementation and completely botched HDR.

Calling it right now. They will repackage GTA5 in the PS5/XboxNext boxes since it will be BC on both.

Keep my expectations low.

Top Bottom