• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 6 has been rated MA15+ on the Australian Classification board

Draugoth

Gold Member
The Classificaiton was made on April 2, 2023

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-11-131525.png

Last edited:

Jakk

Just MA15+?

Woke theft auto incoming.
Sure, just like GTA IV was woke, right?
https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/grand-theft-auto-iv
By the way, majority of GTAs are MA 15+ there:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Australian_Classification_Board
The GTA series is rated as follows:

As for why GTA V and III are currently the only ones with R18+, I don't know. Nevertheless, GTA VI being rated MA 15+ there doesn't mean it won't be rated 18+ somewhere else.

Last edited:

Mowcno

In Australia?

Australia has banned more videogames than I can list. Syndicate, Saints row, State of decay, hotline miami, south park stick of truth..

A 15+ rating in Australia means it's going to be tame.
Or if you'll look a couple of posts up you'll see that every GTA has been rated MA15+ originally except for GTA V.

In Australia?

Australia has banned more videogames than I can list. Syndicate, Saints row, State of decay, hotline miami, south park stick of truth..

As a few posts above have pointed out, pretty much every GTA game has had that rating in Australia, even Read Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 had that rating. And it's funny that GTA V has a +18 rating when I've seen people saying Rockstar got tame in that game lol

In Australia?

They banned South Park: Stick of Truth? 🤣 They must be stuck in the '90s.

Anyway I hope GTA6 doesn't soften its cultural commentary and takes aim at making fun of all sides to where everyone feels a bit uncomfortable, but in a fun way. I don't think a Teen-rated style GTA can work.

DrFigs

I'm confused about how Australia decides which games to ban. Why was South Park banned, but not GTA 4 or 5?

They banned South Park: Stick of Truth? 🤣 They must be stuck in the '90s.

Anyway I hope GTA6 doesn't soften its cultural commentary and takes aim at making fun of all sides to where everyone feels a bit uncomfortable, but in a fun way. I don't think a Teen-rated style GTA can work.
It's not GTA if they aren't repeatedly making fun of the gays or transsexuals....

Spyxos

Oh, so it's coming soon. Can't wait. I have played too much Gta 5 and I need something new.

Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

Three

Or if you'll look a couple of posts up you'll see that every GTA has been rated MA15+ originally except for GTA V.
The previous GTA4 didn't have particularly strong depictions of violence or gore. GTA5 got an 18+ and had strong violence (that torture scene was gruesome) . GTA 3 was downright banned there at one point, it's 18+.

The point I'm making is that it doesn't have a 15+ rating because strong violence has been normalised, especially in Australia of all places who are more strict with their ratings than other places. A 15+ rating in Australia means it's tame in comparison.

Last edited:

Z O N E

I mean, it's the Australian version, which means they had to cut a lot of the fun shit out of it.

Sorry Australia.

Arcadialane

Will be interesting to see what a woke GTA release looks like, it's going to be kind of heart breaking

Last edited:

Three

As a few posts above have pointed out, pretty much every GTA game has had that rating in Australia, even Read Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 had that rating. And it's funny that GTA V has a +18 rating when I've seen people saying Rockstar got tame in that game lol
In what way did they get tame in GTA5? It had more violence but less incentive for "senseless violence" and even in that category they kept rampages in the game. GTA4 was tame in comparison.

Saber

Gold Member
Brace yourselfs for a modern audience GTA experience. I mean, since when GTA was ever for 15 years? Or is something exclusive to a country?

Last edited:

GHound

Last edited:

Jakk

Brace yourselfs for a modern audience GTA experience(I mean, since when GTA was ever for 15 years?).
Literally scroll up for a while and you can see that most of GTAs are rated 15+ in Australia. Some people just can't read I guess. The rating is probably fake anyway, there is also another entry for Grand Theft Auto VI, one for Grand Theft Auto VI Beta and Grand Theft Auto VI Online. Any company can submit stuff for them to rate I guess.

In what way did they get tame in GTA5? It had more violence but less incentive for "senseless violence" and even in that category they kept rampages in the game. GTA4 was tame in comparison.
I don't think it got tame either, that's just what I've heard some people say for whatever reason.

For reference here's the Aussie rating for the PS5 version of GTA V. I know the rating in the OP is fake but I was curious to see the actual one for GTA5 in AUS.

e391bb610d814c76a0b221b57e9801f4_Original.jpg

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fake. We will never see a single spec leak from this game ever again. It’s airtight after the first leak

Don’t believe anything unless it’s from R*

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Forget woke, can a game made in the US have attractive women in it again? I hope that Latina lady from the leak didn't lose any thickness.

Freeman76

Anyone expecting this not to be toned down is in for a shocker...modern Rockstar are a shadow of the groundbreaking studio from years ago, literally all the visionary figures left a long time ago. This will just be a moneyhat.

Top Bottom